Misato the slut?

For serious and at times in-depth discussions only.

Moderator: Board Staff

jim_loves_randy
Lilith
User avatar
Posts: 104
Joined: Nov 06, 2008
Location: Bordering Russia: Alaska!

Misato the slut?

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby jim_loves_randy » Wed Feb 24, 2010 2:58 pm

Although the show labels her as an overly sexual person who uses sex as escape, she's only really fucked one guy the whole time. Why didn't the series have her hooking up with other men to emphasize her character flaws rather than the one guy? The only other time was apparently her trying to get Shinji's dick wet, but other than that, it wasn't very obvious what her problem was until they state it in the end of the series.

So why did the creators decide only Kaji (and Shinji) get the loving if loving is the way she copes?

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope
User avatar
Posts: 15804
Joined: Jun 28, 2008
Location: St. Louis
Gender: Male

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby NemZ » Wed Feb 24, 2010 3:11 pm

That's because she's not a slut.

Misato doesn't know how to create real emotional intimacy and thus only knows how to relate to those she cares about with sex. It's a shortcut that ultimately leads nowhere, because even when such openness is offered she's terrified of rejection and thus has to run away.
Rest In Peace ~ 1978 - 2017
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf
"I think internet message boards and the like are dangerous." - Anno

Killericon
Embryo
User avatar
Posts: 41
Joined: Jan 03, 2010
Location: Calgary or Halifax, Depen

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Killericon » Wed Feb 24, 2010 3:40 pm

The dichotomy of her 'slutty' actions and her only pursuing one man is pretty important to how the show portrays her, I think. They deliberately did it that way. NemZ put it pretty perfectly.

Xard
Sex God Bastard
Sex God Bastard
User avatar
Age: 28
Posts: 14187
Joined: Jan 03, 2008
Location: Finland
Gender: Male

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Xard » Wed Feb 24, 2010 4:10 pm

NemZ wrote:That's because she's not a slut.


They're all sluts
ran1: Oh gosh this sentence gave me an internet boner. You're so tsundere.
Mugwump: Goddamn it, Xard! Take me in your arms, you magnificent sex god bastard!
And don't forget to wear the Ran mask.
Eva Yojimbo: You really are the Otaku equivalent of a Catholic and Jew rolled up into one giant dakimakura of guilt.
Gob Hobblin: Sanctimonious, subtly racist, vaguely misogynist, somehow says something while at the same time saying...nothing, really, at all....

Nice, Xard. That's nice.

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator
User avatar
Age: 61
Posts: 20278
Joined: Nov 23, 2004
Location: This sceptered isle.
Gender: Male
Contact:

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Mr. Tines » Wed Feb 24, 2010 4:47 pm

Xard wrote:They're all sluts
Thank you, oh voice of /a/.

As sluts go, Misato talks the talk but doesn't seem to walk the walk.

Now, if it were Misato the slattern -- then we get all the confirmation we need in the first two episodes.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics||MAL
Avatar: Mahou Shoujo Rapture Asuka : "Slice them up with your magical karambit, chu!"

Holy Diver
Armisael
Armisael
User avatar
Posts: 913
Joined: Nov 25, 2008
Location: U.S. and A.

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Holy Diver » Wed Feb 24, 2010 6:12 pm

Oh, but she was a slut. She was getting wasted and banging dudes (and some ladies) left and right, its just that we didn't see it on screen.
Deus Io Vult! (God wills it!)
"Get your ass in gear!" Asuka

"Catdog has an S2 engine in his stomach. He does not need to eat, and whatever he does eat is reacted with antimatter to provide endless energy." Ruthlessly stolen from anon.

Halicat
Bardiel
Bardiel
Posts: 768
Joined: Feb 04, 2010

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Halicat » Wed Feb 24, 2010 6:42 pm

She just fell into that trap of sex = intimacy/love even though sex is neither if the love isn't there also.

Not sure, but isn't there evidence to suggest lack of a good father-figure for girls can make them slutty in later life because they don't know how else to behave around men so just do what society says attacts them? If so that's probably Misato's case, just she only did it with Kaji.

Sachi
Oh Daddy!
Oh Daddy!
User avatar
Age: 26
Posts: 10080
Joined: Aug 29, 2006
Location: Hollywoo
Gender: Male

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Sachi » Wed Feb 24, 2010 7:45 pm

Misato is in no way a slut. Sure, she flirts a lot, but not in a way where she is seriously pining for Shinji's manhood; she does it in more of a fun, teasing way toward him. With Kaji, the only man in the entirety of the show that she has had a relationship with, it's different because they were, in fact, lovers. Her loving to have sex with her lover does not make her a slut, especially if she actually loved him, which all signs seem to point to.

Calling Misato a slut is an even bigger stretch than calling Yoko Littner a slut, whom of which may dress suggestively during certain arcs of the show, but had only partook in romantic/sexual activities with two different men seven years apart from each other (and in the case of Kittan, it wasn't exactly mutual on her part); aside from those two affairs, Yoko was a conservatively dressed school teacher.
- Sachi

I host an unofficial EGF discord server. The usual suspects are here. https://discord.gg/Djzkh8Q

Uriel Septim VII
Lilin
Lilin
User avatar
Age: 28
Posts: 1010
Joined: Jun 29, 2009
Location: Pruitt Igoe

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Uriel Septim VII » Wed Feb 24, 2010 8:41 pm

^Well, Gainax threatened to literally erase Yoko from existence if she didn't dress like that. Misato isn't a "slut" or whatever the less gender inclusive term would be. She's a sex fanatic, definitely. Many would be desensitized to sex after one straight week of it.
AVATAR-- Hedy Lamarr: actor, inventor of spread spectrum communications technology, and main villain of Blazing Saddles.

You know what, rip me off once, shame on me. But twice? I'm coming after you and taking back what's mine. --Billy Mays

ran1
Donor
Donor
User avatar
Age: 27
Posts: 2662
Joined: Jan 20, 2010
Location: NYC, USA
Gender: Male
Contact:

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby ran1 » Wed Feb 24, 2010 8:57 pm

In light of the recent re-definition of the term by Tiger Woods, allow me to note that she is a "sex addict".
Punished "Venom" Ran1
Vanity of Vanities
Every post in Evageeks automaticaly becomes masturbatory material. It's nothing new. ~Justcrazyguy
Ran's persistent irony is a coping mechanism he uses to try and create some understanding of his paradoxical attraction to and disgust of the elitist bourgeois slaughterhouse in which he's forever trapped. --Muggy

Uriel Septim VII
Lilin
Lilin
User avatar
Age: 28
Posts: 1010
Joined: Jun 29, 2009
Location: Pruitt Igoe

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Uriel Septim VII » Wed Feb 24, 2010 9:11 pm

^And a "very bad person".
AVATAR-- Hedy Lamarr: actor, inventor of spread spectrum communications technology, and main villain of Blazing Saddles.

You know what, rip me off once, shame on me. But twice? I'm coming after you and taking back what's mine. --Billy Mays

Halicat
Bardiel
Bardiel
Posts: 768
Joined: Feb 04, 2010

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Halicat » Thu Feb 25, 2010 5:15 am

Sachi wrote:Misato is in no way a slut. Sure, she flirts a lot, but not in a way where she is seriously pining for Shinji's manhood; she does it in more of a fun, teasing way toward him. With Kaji, the only man in the entirety of the show that she has had a relationship with, it's different because they were, in fact, lovers. Her loving to have sex with her lover does not make her a slut, especially if she actually loved him, which all signs seem to point to.

Calling Misato a slut is an even bigger stretch than calling Yoko Littner a slut, whom of which may dress suggestively during certain arcs of the show, but had only partook in romantic/sexual activities with two different men seven years apart from each other (and in the case of Kittan, it wasn't exactly mutual on her part); aside from those two affairs, Yoko was a conservatively dressed school teacher.


THIS. I always seen her treatment of Shinji as being a means to get him to 'come out of himself' and be more like a typical teenage boy or something and her kissing him was like what Kaji did for her to make her snap out of her rut.

Uriel Septim VII wrote:^Well, Gainax threatened to literally erase Yoko from existence if she didn't dress like that. Misato isn't a "slut" or whatever the less gender inclusive term would be. She's a sex fanatic, definitely. Many would be desensitized to sex after one straight week of it.


I don't understand how a week of sex with one person could make one a fanatic for it? Or even desensitize them to it?

Sachi
Oh Daddy!
Oh Daddy!
User avatar
Age: 26
Posts: 10080
Joined: Aug 29, 2006
Location: Hollywoo
Gender: Male

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Sachi » Thu Feb 25, 2010 8:47 am

Halicat wrote:I don't understand how a week of sex with one person could make one a fanatic for it? Or even desensitize them to it?

I believe he was saying that she's a sex addict who doesn't even get tired of, or desensitized after a single week of straight sex, which, for a lot of people, may get a little monotonous.

I disagree completely.
- Sachi

I host an unofficial EGF discord server. The usual suspects are here. https://discord.gg/Djzkh8Q

Xard
Sex God Bastard
Sex God Bastard
User avatar
Age: 28
Posts: 14187
Joined: Jan 03, 2008
Location: Finland
Gender: Male

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Xard » Fri Feb 26, 2010 5:21 am

Mr. Tines wrote:
Xard wrote:They're all sluts
Thank you, oh voice of /a/.

As sluts go, Misato talks the talk but doesn't seem to walk the walk.


There exists duty to preserve certain traditions - as you're englishman I'm sure you understand
ran1: Oh gosh this sentence gave me an internet boner. You're so tsundere.
Mugwump: Goddamn it, Xard! Take me in your arms, you magnificent sex god bastard!
And don't forget to wear the Ran mask.
Eva Yojimbo: You really are the Otaku equivalent of a Catholic and Jew rolled up into one giant dakimakura of guilt.
Gob Hobblin: Sanctimonious, subtly racist, vaguely misogynist, somehow says something while at the same time saying...nothing, really, at all....

Nice, Xard. That's nice.

Halicat
Bardiel
Bardiel
Posts: 768
Joined: Feb 04, 2010

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Halicat » Fri Feb 26, 2010 8:03 am

Sachi wrote:I believe he was saying that she's a sex addict who doesn't even get tired of, or desensitized after a single week of straight sex, which, for a lot of people, may get a little monotonous.


Ah I suppose. But still, from what she says in EoE ["I think I'm starting to get the hang of it."] I think that was her first time ever having sex, so the novelty and excitment probably hadn't worn off, there's no indication she could still be like that really.

planet news
Armisael
Armisael
User avatar
Posts: 917
Joined: Jan 29, 2010

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby planet news » Fri Feb 26, 2010 11:16 am

Like in Re-take.
"Crab People, look like crab, talk like people. Crab people . . ."

chaosakita
Leliel
Leliel
User avatar
Age: 25
Posts: 721
Joined: Nov 17, 2009
Gender: Female

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby chaosakita » Fri Feb 26, 2010 6:15 pm

How did they show sex was her main character flaw? And just because someone has sex mean they offer it to every person they see. There were only a couple of guys in the show anyways.
Avatar: Shinji and Kaworu get ice cream

AuraTwilight
Evangelion
Evangelion
User avatar
Posts: 3316
Joined: Mar 16, 2008
Location: Za Warudo

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby AuraTwilight » Sat Feb 27, 2010 12:34 pm

And she had much bigger character flaws anyway, like her complete immaturity and lack of high-minded responsibility outside of her personal vendetta against the Angels, and her big ol' love/hate Daddy thing that's crippled her entire life.
J_Faulkner, be warned that some of your statements could be construed as ad hominem attacks. -- Priceless, eternal irony

Anno has perfected the side boob --Gendo'sPapa

BGMLV
Embryo
User avatar
Posts: 43
Joined: Jan 15, 2010

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby BGMLV » Sat Feb 27, 2010 6:59 pm

Being a slut is a very very VERY, Good thing! ^_^
I must not run away.........from logic. ^_^

Joseph the PRPD
Elder God
Elder God
Age: 26
Posts: 6339
Joined: Dec 19, 2008
Location: League City, TX
Gender: Male

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Joseph the PRPD » Sat Feb 27, 2010 8:44 pm

Misato seems flirty more than anything else. If she really was a slut I think it would have been more heavily implied in the show.
BGMLV wrote:VERY, Good thing! ^_^

This isn't the chit-chat sub-forum.
Cheese wheel in the U.S. Coast Guard.


Return to “Evangelion Discussion”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests