Key of Nebuchadnezzer Speculation

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
Grimmjow
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

Key of Nebuchadnezzer Speculation(SPOILERS)

•      
  •      

Postby Grimmjow » Wed Feb 03, 2010 4:52 pm

So this time around in Eva 2.0, Gendo does not receive Adam but instead some sort of object called the Key of Nebuchadnezzer.

Any thoughts on what this could mean? Is it possible that Anno is going to play around with some more Revelation imagery?(perhaps Gendo is the Whore of Babylon).
Last edited by Grimmjow on Wed Feb 03, 2010 6:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Ornette » Wed Feb 03, 2010 6:15 pm

I don't think it was supposed to be a computer chip.

Natsuka_Chie
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby Natsuka_Chie » Wed Feb 03, 2010 6:28 pm

From the sh*tty camrip, it looked like a needle with some veins inside :facepalm:
Asuka's not a bitch, she just denies her innocence in a bitchy way.
Sites I'm in: Deviantart|XFire
Quotes:
"Yesterday, I had the most TERRIFYIN' experience! ...Last night, I was all alone in my room... when outta nowhere... CAME THE SMELL OF A FART THAT WASN'T MINE!"
"The things I possess are my life and soul. I'm a vessel for my heart"
"God isn't home. He's on vacation at Vegas."

"Don't forget. Always, somewhere, someone is fighting for you. As long as you remember them, you're not alone."

wonderluster
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby wonderluster » Wed Feb 03, 2010 6:34 pm

Well he could be a cyborg and still meld with it....
On the path to Universal Understanding.

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Ornette » Wed Feb 03, 2010 6:35 pm

It looked like a needle, attached to the nervous system of a tiny humanoid. Either nervous system or veins.

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Wed Feb 03, 2010 7:42 pm

Perhaps it's just a different way of referring to Adam, since there were 4 Adams in 2nd Impact and the key helps "unlock" them/her?

Just a thought.
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

AuraTwilight
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby AuraTwilight » Wed Feb 03, 2010 8:30 pm

It's totally just Adam, IMO.
J_Faulkner, be warned that some of your statements could be construed as ad hominem attacks. -- Priceless, eternal irony

Anno has perfected the side boob --Gendo'sPapa

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Thu Feb 04, 2010 2:32 pm

It totally won't make an iota of sense until the next movie -- if even then.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

Axell
Bridge Bunny
Bridge Bunny

•      
  •      

Postby Axell » Fri Feb 05, 2010 1:04 am

What confuses me is that Shinji's initiation of 3I was what Gendo and Fuyutsuki wanted, so why did they also need some weird artifact that didn't get used?

Eva 04
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

•      
  •      

Postby Eva 04 » Fri Feb 05, 2010 1:55 am

Axell wrote:What confuses me is that Shinji's initiation of 3I was what Gendo and Fuyutsuki wanted, so why did they also need some weird artifact that didn't get used?

Actually,I dont think they wanted Third Impact to happen.They just wanted Unit 01 to be elevated to God status like in the series which occured.The key that Gendo has probably has to do with Unit 01 and initiating his own Third Impact.

AuraTwilight
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby AuraTwilight » Fri Feb 05, 2010 1:03 pm

Axell wrote:What confuses me is that Shinji's initiation of 3I was what Gendo and Fuyutsuki wanted, so why did they also need some weird artifact that didn't get used?

Unit 01 was just going into Nuclear Reactor God Mode and was going to kill everything on the planet. This weird artifact might be what gives them the ability to actually control the process instead of just making an anti-life explosion.
J_Faulkner, be warned that some of your statements could be construed as ad hominem attacks. -- Priceless, eternal irony

Anno has perfected the side boob --Gendo'sPapa

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Fri Feb 05, 2010 4:18 pm

I sure hope the end of 2.0 makes sense later... Gendo and Fuyutsuki were, of course, acting like "Everything going according to plan", when they and everybody else would have been obliterated (as a result of an almost totally inexplicable series of events, no less) if not for a deus ex machina rescue from Seele's "true Evangelion" -- who Eva-01 was supposed to pave the path for in some unexplained way, but since it's Seele's Eva why would Gendo want to theoretically play into their hands with inane ceremonial fireworks that gets Eva-01 skewered, and-- wait... lolwut?

Do I really want to know how a little nervous system attached to a hypodermic needle is going to be instrumental for a CONTROLLED version of 3I later on?

Come on, Anno, admit it. You aren't trying to make this more audience-friendly. You're just trying to make it even more nonsensical than last time.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

Legendary
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby Legendary » Fri Feb 05, 2010 11:50 pm

Everything was going to plan. Everyone would have been killed, except wonderful god Yui, and she, of course, would bring Gendo back from the dead for twu wuv.

Gendo *is* delusional.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Sat Feb 06, 2010 12:46 am

Legendary wrote:Everything was going to plan. Everyone would have been killed, except wonderful god Yui, and she, of course, would bring Gendo back from the dead for twu wuv.

I think this thread is trying to figure out how the Key fits into everything that we've seen so far...

Kaji: Now, as I promised it...
Kaji: The stored Lost Number kept as a backup.
Kaji: The guidepost towards the unification of all souls unto God.
Gendo: Yes, used to open the door to Human Instrumentality...
Gendo: The Key of Nebuchadnezzar.

(Translation seems a bit dodgy to me, but I guess it'll do for the moment.)

Presumably the Key plays some role in Gendo's plans. Presumably, Eva-01's "awakening" at the end of 2.0 is also part of Gendo's plans:

SEELE: The true Evangelion we desire... With its birth and Lilith's resurrection, the hour of our covenant will arrive.
SEELE: By then we must perform the necessary ceremonies.
SEELE: For the Human Instrumentality Project.
Gendo: I understand. Everything will go according to SEELE's scenario.
(Seele monoliths vanish, leaving Gendo and Fuyutsuki in the chamber alone.)
Gendo: The true Evangelion...
Gendo: Its completion will be ushered in by the current body containing Unit-01.
Fuyutsuki: The Mark-06, isn't it?
Fuyutsuki: This means what they are trying to create is not a false god, but a true god at last?
Gendo: Yes. We must hasten the awakening of Unit-01.

Exactly how all of this will eventually come together... is totally beyond me. Had Gendo already used the Key behind the scenes, and expected Eva-01's 3I to produce HIP as a result? Was Eva-01's "awakening" the only point of the whole thing (aside from shocking NGE veterans), and that impact was somehow predetermined to fail -- hence Gendo is still getting things ready for The Real Deal later on?
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

Legendary
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby Legendary » Sat Feb 06, 2010 1:05 am

"kept as a back-up"

"used to open the door to Human Instrumentality"

Perhaps it was stolen solely for the purpose of preventing Seele's using it, thus hoping that they wouldn't interfere with Eva-01's Awakening?

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Sat Feb 06, 2010 1:31 am

Legendary wrote:Perhaps it was stolen solely for the purpose of preventing Seele's using it, thus hoping that they wouldn't interfere with Eva-01's Awakening?

Kaji calls the Key a "backup". Of what, they don't say, but that might imply that Seele doesn't require the Key for whatever they're doing (perhaps similarly to how they didn't require the Adam embryo in NGE).

I wonder what any possible connection to IRL Nebuchadnezzar could be.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

SEELE-01
Marduk Selectee
Marduk Selectee

•      
  •      

Postby SEELE-01 » Sat Feb 06, 2010 12:35 pm

Ejem...
The thingamabob Kaji delivers it's a serum bag... Whith some orange liquid in it (unsure if it's LCL)...
I was suspicious too, so I took a snapshot and after some lighting and color modifications to see it better, I reached that conclusion... AND if I'm not mistaken, when Gendo and Fuyutsuki are in the spaceship, a serum bag is seen empty floating around, whith some orange coloured liquid remnants in it...
Could it be the same?

Azathoth
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Azathoth » Sat Feb 06, 2010 8:06 pm

Reichu wrote:I wonder what any possible connection to IRL Nebuchadnezzar could be.

Probably just another case of "I chose it because it sounds complicated," but on the off-chance that it's not, I'd say it's connected to the whole Fiery Furnace deal. Rebuild is indeed a little preoccupied with the distinction between a "false god" (Evangelion [with S2 organ?] controlled by a human?) and a "true god" (if Mark-06 is intended to be this, then I would assume an Evangelion with an S2 organ and no soul but that of Adam, its pilot), and that's how the Fiery Furnace story starts out.

Nebuchadnezzar builds a giant god out of gold and demands that everyone worship it. Since they think of it as a false god, three of the Jews do not bow down to it; Nebuchadnezzar throws them into a fiery furnace. However, they are then miraculously saved by a fourth dude who pops up out of nowhere, and looks like "a son of the gods." (I think the historical Christian interpretation of this has been that it's Jesus, while the more traditional Jewish view is that it's an Angel.) And then Nebuchadnezzar realizes that he's messed with a true god and immediately decides not to be such a dick in future.

Kaworu certainly could be said to look like a son of the gods, since that's close enough to a description of his function. And he kind of does wind up popping out of nowhere to haul humanity out of the metaphorical fire.

Unfortunately, Nebuchadnezzar is never mentioned in conjunction with any key in any Biblical text, which is why I conclude that it's another example of lol anno.
Nothing is so valuable that it need not be started afresh, nothing is so rich that it need not be enriched constantly.

chaosakita
Leliel
Leliel

•      
  •      

Postby chaosakita » Sat Feb 06, 2010 10:33 pm

Azathoth wrote:Unfortunately, Nebuchadnezzar is never mentioned in conjunction with any key in any Biblical text, which is why I conclude that it's another example of lol anno.

You're right. I don't think his story has any relevance to anything in Evangelion. Nebuchadnezzar is a pretty nifty name, though.
Avatar: Shinji and Kaworu get ice cream

SaltyJoe
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby SaltyJoe » Sun Feb 07, 2010 7:15 am

Reichu wrote:Seele's "true Evangelion"

In a later conversation, Seele states that they seek the True Evangelion, not that they have it, though. Something tells me that the Mark06 ain't quite yet the Ultimate Mega Super Evangelion Final Form. Would explain Unit-08 who is actually Unit-01.

--hence Gendo is still getting things ready for The Real Deal later on?

Probably, since otherwise, he wouldn't have a whole lot do with the future plot.
"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it is too dark to read."

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”