[Manga] Shinji Ikari Raising Project

For talking about everything else Evangelion: from the various manga and video games to merchandising and video/audio releases.

Moderator: Board Staff

EvangelionFan
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby EvangelionFan » Tue Jan 18, 2011 9:35 pm

View Original PostKiller Bee wrote:Just picked up vol. 7 today, and it's the weakest volume yet in my opinion. I kept waiting for something to happen and nothing ever did. The little bonus chapters at the end were cute, but the main chapters felt like Takahashi's really just padding things out as much as he can at this point.

I've been feeling that since I read Volume 5. I had a bit of fun with Volume 7, and I think the main problem with it is that Takahashi's S/R/A focus stumbles since they're more or less doing what we've seen before - and S/A still continue to behave as if all of the development in Vol 4 didn't happen, and there's a similar shortcoming with S/R. At least Yui was good in this volume, and it was nice to see Kyoko, Fuyutsuki and the other bridge bunnies even if it was only for a bit.
Voluntary Illusion.

Hyper Shinchan
God
God

•      
  •      

Postby Hyper Shinchan » Thu Jun 23, 2011 12:12 am

I've finally found volume 10 two days ago (it was released since May but I couldn't find it for some reason), it was funny as usual, I'm especially a big fan of ISIK's Gendo and he occupied a good part of the first half (with his usual contest against the professors and the neighbourhood).
Anyway someone should really warn Takahashi that he should keep using characters after he's introduced them (*developing them* is too much since nothing happens in this manga), I'm especially worried about Kaworu, in this last volume he didn't appear at all without any reason.
Even Fuyutsuki and the bride bunnies mentioned by EvangelionFan were at least shown in some pages while Mana was one of the main characters of the last part (and she's being used regularly since she's been introduced).

Anyway do you think that Mari will be introduced in the future? I was thinking about it recently...
So let’s make a wish.
“Please let me redo again.”
No matter how many times

From the book “All About Nagisa Kaworu: A Child of Evangelion”.

EvangelionFan
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby EvangelionFan » Thu Jun 23, 2011 12:29 am

View Original PostHyper Shinchan wrote:I've finally found volume 10 two days ago (it was released since May but I couldn't find it for some reason)

If you mean the Japanese edition, that's been out since May '10. Japanese Vol 11 has also been out since February this year.

View Original PostHyper Shinchan wrote:Anyway someone should really warn Takahashi that he should keep using characters after he's introduced them (*developing them* is too much since nothing happens in this manga), I'm especially worried about Kaworu, in this last volume he didn't appear at all without any reason.

I've been feeling that since Volumes 05-06, and I'm inclined to say that it's not just Kaworu, but the Ritsuko/Kaworu subplot hasn't gotten much development so far as I have seen.

View Original PostHyper Shinchan wrote:Anyway do you think that Mari will be introduced in the future? I was thinking about it recently...

As the series is based on the alternate universe glimpsed in EoTV, I find it unlike that Takahashi will introduce elements from Rebuild.

I haven't had any news about the series since my last post, and thanks to your post Hyper Shinchan I can deliver some new info I just picked up.
Dark Hose Manga has recently lisenced SIRP Volume 09 and have given it an expected publication date of August 10 2011.
Voluntary Illusion.

Hyper Shinchan
God
God

•      
  •      

Postby Hyper Shinchan » Thu Jun 23, 2011 1:16 am

View Original PostEvangelionFan wrote:If you mean the Japanese edition, that's been out since May '10. Japanese Vol 11 has also been out since February this year.

I was referring to the Italian one (which is still not available from Panini's site, they kinda messed up things with this release).
View Original PostEvangelionFan wrote:I've been feeling that since Volumes 05-06, and I'm inclined to say that it's not just Kaworu, but the Ritsuko/Kaworu subplot hasn't gotten much development so far as I have seen.

You're right, but I've started giving up about the plot since the first numbers, anyway Ritsuko still gets some room (thanks to Gendo, but she didn't appear much in this volume, maybe she didn't appear at all, I don't remember) unlike Kaworu.
View Original PostEvangelionFan wrote:As the series is based on the alternate universe glimpsed in EoTV, I find it unlike that Takahashi will introduce elements from Rebuild.

I've started wondering about it since Yamashita introduced a loli-furry Mari in Anima (and Anima is some kind of hypothetical sequel of the TV series). Anyway the original EoTV universe has already been expanded with Mana from GoS (was she present in the original game? I've never tried it).
Mari in this manga could not be a bad idea (she could even enter with a parachute like in the Rebuild, that scene was pretty fitting in this manga) but I fear that everything could end up becoming even more messed up (considering the situation with the current characters).
So let’s make a wish.
No matter how many times

Someone
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

•      
  •      

Postby Someone » Thu Jun 23, 2011 4:58 am

Link = Broken? (Fission Mailed, har har har)
DISCLAIMER: The above statement might or might not be serious.

Great Genius Shinji-Sama
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby Great Genius Shinji-Sama » Thu Jun 23, 2011 4:39 pm

Things should be fairly interesting now that Naoko has showed up as well. It's painfully obvious where Shinji inherits it from :lol: It's also very clear that the female cast are the only really competent ones. I like to call it "EVA Love Muyo" An amalgam of Evangelion, Love Hina and Tenchi Muyo.
Avatar: Utena and Anthy hawtness <3
-----------------------------------------------------------
XBOX LIVE GAMERTAG: ShinjiSama01
http://shinjisama.wordpress.com/ - Blog
http://otakuno1.deviantart.com/ - Deviant account

bonehead156
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby bonehead156 » Fri Jun 24, 2011 1:54 am

anyone know where i can download this? none of the links from the first post work.
"Get going Simon. Just don't be distracted by the what-ifs, should-ifs, and if-onlys. The one thing you choose for yourself, that is the truth of your universe." -Kamina

Great Genius Shinji-Sama
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby Great Genius Shinji-Sama » Sat Jun 25, 2011 12:40 pm

I can wait till it comes out in book/comic shops but I wish DH at least had a preview of the next volume out for us. :(
Avatar: Utena and Anthy hawtness <3
XBOX LIVE GAMERTAG: ShinjiSama01
http://shinjisama.wordpress.com/ - Blog
http://otakuno1.deviantart.com/ - Deviant account

Hyper Shinchan
God
God

•      
  •      

Postby Hyper Shinchan » Sat Jun 25, 2011 12:59 pm

View Original PostHyper Shinchan wrote:Anyway the original EoTV universe has already been expanded with Mana from GoS (was she present in the original game? I've never tried it).

Answering my own question: yes, she's present in the ISIK game.

@bonehead156: you're supposed to purchase it because it's been licensed in the US.
Anyway the scanlations never went beyond the first volume afaik so your only choice is purchasing it (and it's worth the money imo) even if you don't live in the US (it's also been licensed in France and Italy and maybe somewhere else as well).

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Wed Jul 20, 2011 10:01 am

I was originally going to post my thoughts here, but that's tangent-bait so the proper thread is best.

I've complained several times that I wished there would be more spin-off manga where Rei is still Rei instead of RiAO. Campus Apocalypse where Rei's somewhat Rei-like still despite her horse-love and GoS2 manga RiAO are fitting as RiAO--they work very well as they still have Rei's sincerity and occasional soft-spoken or apathetic moments. But something about SIRP Rei strikes me as inconsistent personality-wise and somewhat Uncanny Valley, she doesn't properly feel like Rei where it should count, just somebody who looks like Rei but is better than SIRP manga Asuka at everything.

I think I've also complained somewhere that it'd be nice for more manga to maintain the NGE feel of broken characters but still decent people. Hell, when SIRP manga first came with scans then stateside, I was hoping that perhaps the manga would have something deep/sinister to it by actually relating to some 3rd Impact or Instrumentality plans.

Not just how the Ikaris are attempting to gear Shinji's life in a certain direction instead of letting the kid decide for himself for...who knows what reason. So, were those background Nerv conspiracies ever properly developed more, or completely dropped to make way for more Asuka and Rei panty shots?

Don't get me wrong, I get that this is a harem based manga. And I'm completely for light and brighter works; huge fan of the GoS2 manga and game, Shinji Raising Project game, Asuka & Rei Raising Project games and other games too (Eva2~)! I just wish this would have some slight depth or more in-the-background-workings since this IS Eva and all. The majority of the games/manga maintain being somewhat Eva in feel at least, whether it's due to the mecha only OR exploring the psychological elements somewhat. Which is why I'm mildly annoyed at this series.

Based on recent scans, it appears the manga is finally slowly returning to something of a plot (maybe slightly serious with comedy, but not sure.) instead of JUST fanserivce (I'm sadly not exaggerating that around Volumes 09 through 11 are pure fanservice Stages). There's nothing wrong with fanservice but too much of anything becomes tiring and old, fast. Some plot sprinkled in despite any sexy happenings would be perfect. So why not go that route? And hell, the GoS2 manga had no fanservice proper but it had plenty of cute moments during the plot. GoS2 manga's only downside was the art sucked.

Too bad we in the fandom can only create fanfics/fanart/doujinshi, I actually think some of us could do better with spin-off manga storytelling. (I don't mean to be harsh towards any of the manga-ka, just sayin'.) I have volumes 01 and 08 of SIRP manga, and I'd be perfectly willing to buy the whole series if it would actually be going somewhere instead of the "20 times more fanservice!" approach.
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

symbv
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby symbv » Wed Jul 20, 2011 10:24 am

I am fine with SIRP because I got everything that is anti-Eva -- not too much depth, slice of life, fan service, forget about the background or any conspiracy (what is Seele?), Angel is more like a game, no psychological issue... Yeah, before I found Re-Take (a painful read but ultimately very rewarding that finally gave me the closure) SIRP managed to soothe me in the previous years. As for GoS2 it is quite good too but the art really hurts its appeal.
I never thought I would come back to Evangelion after EoE,
But I discovered Re-Take (or it found me?) and
now here I am.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Asuka FAN FOREVER
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hyper Shinchan
God
God

•      
  •      

Postby Hyper Shinchan » Wed Jul 20, 2011 11:11 am

Well, personally this is one my favourite manga lately, just like symbv I really like it for being the perfect anti-Evangelion and it's also the very embodiment of many ideas that I was having from years, from the so called RiAO (a term that I highly dislike), to Gendo becoming the "best parent in this world". Of course I have some minor problems with the manga's "development", but it's also true that it was extended from an originally planned shorter release (or at least I've read it somewhere), so Takahashi could have either finished his ideas or he's keeping them for the (eventual) ending and for now he just wants to show some hilarious situations (which are perfectly fine for most readers of this manga). Like SSD mentioned, the last stages are showing that there's apparently something going on, even though it's not dark or sinister at all (luckily), I've already mentioned on THAT BOARD, let's see if it's really the case or not, either way it won't be a big problem for me, this manga is surely "situation-driven" rather than "plot-driven" (and it's keeping an old promise, MORE FANSERVICE; Misato was a damned liar in NGE!).
So let’s make a wish.
No matter how many times

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Wed Jul 20, 2011 11:43 am

Pointing this out so people don't miss it, this thread was properly merged and stickied so discussion of the manga should go here. This thread is more for discussion of the scans/raws or neglected chapters that weren't released state-side.

Carry on with the discussion!

And to clarify, I do enjoy this manga for what it is, I just wish there is something "more" to it. Because it has the Eva name, it would be interesting (somewhat refreshing, IMO) to see this manga switch up/turn expectations upside down from what one expects from a harem manga. But I understand it's mainly for fluff, and there's nothing wrong with that. GoS2 ("Angelic Days") manga is techinically fluff as well, while Sadamoto's Manga and Campus Apocalypse/Gakuen Datenroku are more serious/in that Eva style. So 2 fluff manga and 2 serious manga are fine by me. :kawaii: I know nothing of that Detective Shinji manga so I can't comment on it; even whether it's fluff or gets serious. (Although I believe I've heard it sucks?)

On a totally different note, there's something I'm curious about: I don't have Japanese raws to compare, but something about the English translations seem to go for adaption approach instead of literal translation. I completely understand that translating (trust me, I've been there!) is always a balancing act between literal and adapting into English/whichever language. But several of phrases in the manga seem to be adaptions instead of translations, whether it's regarding the puns or something else. For instance, Volume 08, Page 09 has a reference to the 1986 Comedy-film Gung Ho, which I somehow doubt Asuka/the others made that reference in the original Japanese... (If they did, that's freaking awesome, but.) I'm assuming the instances of the puns are English equivalents because the Japanese puns, translated, wouldn't make as much sense to English fans.

Dark Horse is doing a bang-up job of color pages, the Fan Service Center, and getting the meaning of the story across. They're wonderful at catering to the fans! (Carl's influence, I wonder? :lol: )
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

Hyper Shinchan
God
God

•      
  •      

Postby Hyper Shinchan » Wed Jul 20, 2011 12:03 pm

View Original PostSailor Star Dust wrote:This thread is more for discussion of the scans/raws or neglected chapters that weren't released state-side.

Could you tell me more about the last point (even answering directly in the other thread, in the case it's more related to that one)? I remember that I've read scans of a St.Valentine special that is apparently absent in my local (Italian) release, has it been published in the States?
View Original PostSailor Star Dust wrote:I know nothing of that Detective Shinji manga so I can't comment on it; even whether it's fluff or gets serious. (Although I believe I've heard it sucks?)

I've heard nothing about it until this exact moment... I guess it's probably related to "Meitantei Evangelion" (a PS2 game) but I've never played it (yet it looks kinda interesting).
So let’s make a wish.
No matter how many times

symbv
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby symbv » Wed Jul 20, 2011 7:29 pm

View Original PostSailor Star Dust wrote:And to clarify, I do enjoy this manga for what it is, I just wish there is something "more" to it. Because it has the Eva name, it would be interesting (somewhat refreshing, IMO) to see this manga switch up/turn expectations upside down from what one expects from a harem manga.

Well, I hope it will not turn into psychological issues or conspiracy to turn expectation upside down. For a harem manga (actually I think it is more a triangle manga than a harem manga but anyway), the biggest switch up is the end of harem/triangle and I surely hope it will be a LAS end.. :heart:

View Original PostSailor Star Dust wrote:I know nothing of that Detective Shinji manga so I can't comment on it; even whether it's fluff or gets serious. (Although I believe I've heard it sucks?)

I have written in the other thread about whether it sucks or not...
It is definitely for fluff -- it was described by a review as "spinoff comedy" when I checked the Amazon review of its vol.1

View Original PostSailor Star Dust wrote:On a totally different note, there's something I'm curious about: I don't have Japanese raws to compare, but something about the English translations seem to go for adaption approach instead of literal translation. I completely understand that translating (trust me, I've been there!) is always a balancing act between literal and adapting into English/whichever language. But several of phrases in the manga seem to be adaptions instead of translations, whether it's regarding the puns or something else. For instance, Volume 08, Page 09 has a reference to the 1986 Comedy-film Gung Ho, which I somehow doubt Asuka/the others made that reference in the original Japanese... (If they did, that's freaking awesome, but.) I'm assuming the instances of the puns are English equivalents because the Japanese puns, translated, wouldn't make as much sense to English fans.

I do not recall the reference to Gung Ho but I do not have the manga with me right now so I cannot confirm...
now here I am.
Asuka FAN FOREVER

chee
EGF Hate Machine
EGF Hate Machine

•      
  •      

Postby chee » Wed Jul 20, 2011 8:25 pm

Shinji Ikari Raising Project is irrefutable proof that conspicuous consumption has just gone way too far. (It is also proof that storytelling is dead and that all you need to impress the average manga reader is a few scribbles with a detailed pair of breasts and ass.)

Stryker
Seed
Seed

•      
  •      

Postby Stryker » Wed Jul 20, 2011 8:27 pm

So is... about half the movies made currently. Except, breasts and ass can be swapped with explosions, fight scenes, and more explosions.
The Moats of Quotes
"Life is becoming more and more indistinguishable from Onion articles." ~Monk Ed
"Oh my gods, that is awesome. I am inclined to forgive both Grant and the dub in general for that." ~Bagheera
"I don't try to engage in intelligent conversation here anymore."~Chee
"Look, if loving a clone of your mom is wrong, I don't wanna be right." ~Chuckman

|Why angels fight.|What Bagheera is talking about.|

chee
EGF Hate Machine
EGF Hate Machine

•      
  •      

Postby chee » Wed Jul 20, 2011 8:29 pm

SIRP may be of roughly the same quality as something like, say Bayformers, but unlike Bayformers, SIRP doesn't even have someone like John Turturro to inject some semblance of entertainment value. Or any kind of witty redeeming quality save for the occasional Gendo hijinks. (God I hate that word). It's not even aggressively terrible to the point of being amusingly bad. It's just aggressively mediocre and bland to the point where it's not even a narrative anymore, just hyper-generic fan service that doesn't have the balls to be hentai. It's like if a sentient alien computer made some uncanny simulacrum of your average WAFF-y fan-service manga. You may as well call it Love Hina 2015: [s]Keitaro[/s] Shinji Nosebleeds To Some Bitches And Then Reacts To Things Like A Fucking Twat.
Last edited by chee on Wed Jul 20, 2011 8:42 pm, edited 7 times in total.

Stryker
Seed
Seed

•      
  •      

Postby Stryker » Wed Jul 20, 2011 8:31 pm

Not going to be the reason for me to not read it. The reason is that I don't know where to get it on webz.
The Moats of Quotes
"Life is becoming more and more indistinguishable from Onion articles." ~Monk Ed
"Oh my gods, that is awesome. I am inclined to forgive both Grant and the dub in general for that." ~Bagheera
"I don't try to engage in intelligent conversation here anymore."~Chee
"Look, if loving a clone of your mom is wrong, I don't wanna be right." ~Chuckman

|Why angels fight.|What Bagheera is talking about.|

symbv
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby symbv » Wed Jul 20, 2011 9:06 pm

View Original Postchee wrote:Shinji Ikari Raising Project is irrefutable proof that conspicuous consumption has just gone way too far. (It is also proof that storytelling is dead and that all you need to impress the average manga reader is a few scribbles with a detailed pair of breasts and ass.)

If the art quality is done as good as SIRP I don't mind it AT ALL. Keeping the art quality consistently high and on character is not easy, mind you. As for storytelling, as I said, it is good for being an anti-Eva and for keeping it as anti-Eva the storytelling is not bad -- a messy and inept mix of comedy and fan services with psychological issues and conspiracies would be far more problematic.
now here I am.
Asuka FAN FOREVER

Return to “Everything Else Evangelion”