[Manga] Shinji Ikari Raising Project

For talking about all other entries in the Evangelion franchise: from the various manga and video games to merchandising and various video/audio releases.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
Sun Stealer
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

[Manga] Shinji Ikari Raising Project

•      
  •      

Postby Sun Stealer » Tue Dec 15, 2009 8:49 pm

Has anyone read or heard about the new Shinji Ikari Raising Project Manga? I've read the first two volumes so far, it is a lot like Archie Comics except with more fanservice. The art is pretty decent and doesn't burn the eyes like Angelic Days.

It's actually kind of cathartic reading a manga where the Shinji and Co. are emotionally stable and leading happy lives. And it sort of retains a connection to the main series via little details. The characters, while sane, remains true to their personality, except Kaworu who suffers serious derailment. The only drawbacks is the suffocating amounts of gratuitous fanservice(I am not referring to plot-related things like the accidental pervert gags or things related to coming of age and what not as those are critical elements of any bildungsroman), a young me might have enjoyed it, but as an adult it is more than a little disturbing seeing characters who are clearly portrayed and act like young teens be objectified sexually. I mean it is tolerable when it comes to your standard animes where the characters are basically adults physically and emotionally, and for all intents and purposes work at a place with desks and chalkboards instead of cubicles. But with Neon Genesis Evangelion, the characterization is so deep and realistic, fan service of the younger cast becomes creepy. Also, not enough fan service of Misato and Ritsuko.

The only other problem was in volume 2 where
SPOILER: Show
where Kaworu's characterization is completely derailed and he is basically some sort of sinister gay imp come to lure Shinji to the dark side. Did I mention the first half of Vol 2 is really homophobic.

But otherwise it is an entertaining slife-of-life/bildungsroman manga and its nice to see the characters get a reprieve from the soul-crushing horror of the main series. However I've heard later volumes kind go off the rails and turns into a combination: trainwreck and menagerie of unintentional fan disservice horror.
SPOILER: Show
hint: naoko akagi *shiver*

does anyone know if these rumors are true? What are your thoughts and opinions on the series so far?

MatrixRefugee
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby MatrixRefugee » Tue Dec 15, 2009 10:12 pm

I didn't see the first half of Vol. 2 as homophobic at all, but more a case of a young guy trying to figure out his own feelings and being a bit squicked by his own reactions to Kaworu coming on to him and by those advances. Adolescence is a time of change and self-discovery and confusion, and even a more balanced Shinji would be on tenterhooks going through all of the above, plus this slightly creepy character sniffing around him.
My Anime List profile || DarkScribes page

Avatar: At least the wintry gent is smiling a bit, instead of facepalming...

Lucretius
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Lucretius » Tue Dec 15, 2009 11:55 pm

I didn't really have a problem with Shinji Ikari Raising Project's portrayal of Kaowru. The "sinister imp" bit probably comes from Sadamoto's manga where he's also assigned to keep tabs on Shinji and is very sinister indeed. Kaworu's always been interesting to me because of his moral ambiguity; even in the original show, he's a double agent sent to destroy the human race.

What really irks me is the manga's portrayal of Rei, which I haven't noticed a lot of other readers complain about. SIRP's Rei is....somehow even further into the uncanny valley than her TV counterpart, either because of or in spite of her smiles and displays of emotion. It seems like the writer has no idea what makes Rei appealing beyond her character design; he strips away all of her vulnerability and sadness and makes her into this self-assured popular girl. Do not want. The attempts at pathos at the end of volume 1 fell flat for me, probably because we rarely see into Rei's thoughts. Angelic Days Rei was somehow truer to the original character, imo, despite having an extroverted personality.

Asuka's constant string of humiliating defeats was a little off-putting too. Even the Trix Rabbit should get a break now and then.

He shuddered a bit, remembering the somewhat creepy level of detail Kaji had gone into, while rubbing a watermelon in a disturbingly sexual way.

Life is a continuous nut-kicking contest where your turn comes last if ever. -majlund

Proud supporter of Shinji x Sachiel

Sun Stealer
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby Sun Stealer » Thu Dec 17, 2009 5:32 pm

I didn't see the first half of Vol. 2 as homophobic at all, but more a case of a young guy trying to figure out his own feelings and being a bit squicked by his own reactions to Kaworu coming on to him and by those advances.

Unfortunately, it wasn't about that. The story focused on Asuka and Rei trying to stop Kaworu from infecting Shinji with "teh gay" and Kaworu acts as if that is his actual plan. Sexual orientation does not work that way.

Lucretius
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Lucretius » Thu Dec 17, 2009 10:59 pm

I thought the plan was to win Shinji over to Seele by seducing him, not change his actual orientation.

He shuddered a bit, remembering the somewhat creepy level of detail Kaji had gone into, while rubbing a watermelon in a disturbingly sexual way.

Life is a continuous nut-kicking contest where your turn comes last if ever. -majlund

Proud supporter of Shinji x Sachiel

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Thu Dec 17, 2009 11:16 pm

The manga was promising at first, though with the Stages within the past year or so (currently on 56 IIRC) it's been reduced to nothing but fanservice. =_= Sadly I'm not exaggerating either, though I wish I was.

GoS2 (Angelic Days): Bad art, good plot.

ISRP Manga: Good art, no plot.

Lucretius wrote:Angelic Days Rei was somehow truer to the original character, imo, despite having an extroverted personality.

I agree completely.
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

chaosakita
Leliel
Leliel

•      
  •      

Postby chaosakita » Fri Dec 18, 2009 10:10 pm

I saw one page talking about Shinji's feelings for Kaworu, so I'm interested in seeing more.
Avatar: Shinji and Kaworu get ice cream

Sun Stealer
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby Sun Stealer » Fri Dec 18, 2009 10:29 pm

Sailor Star Dust wrote:The manga was promising at first, though with the Stages within the past year or so (currently on 56 IIRC) it's been reduced to nothing but fanservice. =_= Sadly I'm not exaggerating either, though I wish I was.

At what volume should I stop?

firegirl26
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby firegirl26 » Tue Jan 19, 2010 9:53 pm

still waitng for VOL3
"GOD'S IN HIS HEAVEN.....ALL'S RIGHT WITH THE WORLD." NERV

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Wed Jan 20, 2010 1:52 am

Sun Stealer wrote:
Sailor Star Dust wrote:The manga was promising at first, though with the Stages within the past year or so (currently on 56 IIRC) it's been reduced to nothing but fanservice. =_= Sadly I'm not exaggerating either, though I wish I was.

At what volume should I stop?

I can't recall, but you'll know when you get there I'm sure. >_<

BattleMonkey
Leliel
Leliel

•      
  •      

Postby BattleMonkey » Wed Jan 20, 2010 9:20 am

Just stop now since the manga is not going anywhere, it's generic harem anime/manga with no end in sight.

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey » Wed Jan 20, 2010 11:59 am

BattleMonkey wrote:Just stop now since the manga is not going anywhere, it's generic harem anime/manga with no end in sight.

Don't like it? Don't read it. Problem solved.

BattleMonkey
Leliel
Leliel

•      
  •      

Postby BattleMonkey » Wed Jan 20, 2010 1:11 pm

The OP asked when to stop :D

Ja Ayanami
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Ja Ayanami » Thu Jan 28, 2010 3:14 pm

Sorry for the haters out there. I am actually enjoying this manga. It isn't going in the typical direction which is nice for a change. From the looks of it they might actually have Shinji and Rei end up together. I have been burned on that thought before though so I will hold my cheers for later.
They may forget you if you succeed but who wants to be remembered as a failure

-Me

Natsuka_Chie
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby Natsuka_Chie » Mon Feb 01, 2010 2:18 pm

I have volume 1 and 3, I only read 1. I'm waiting for volume 2 to read it, and 3 after it.
Asuka's not a bitch, she just denies her innocence in a bitchy way.
Sites I'm in: Deviantart|XFire
Quotes:
"Yesterday, I had the most TERRIFYIN' experience! ...Last night, I was all alone in my room... when outta nowhere... CAME THE SMELL OF A FART THAT WASN'T MINE!"
"The things I possess are my life and soul. I'm a vessel for my heart"
"God isn't home. He's on vacation at Vegas."

"Don't forget. Always, somewhere, someone is fighting for you. As long as you remember them, you're not alone."

JiForce
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby JiForce » Mon Feb 01, 2010 2:20 pm

I've read volumes 1 to 3.
It's definitely not for people who can't stomache romantic stuff.

Marzan
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Marzan » Wed Feb 03, 2010 4:22 pm

4 is coming out sometime in March isn't it? Does anyone know how many volumes there are in total.
And everything under the Sun is in tune, but the Sun is eclipsed by the Moon- Roger Waters

"Timeo hominem unius libris"

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Wed Feb 03, 2010 4:40 pm

Japan is currently up to volume 9 which deals with Naoko. I hope that helps.

Marzan
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Marzan » Thu Feb 04, 2010 3:27 pm

Sailor Star Dust wrote:Japan is currently up to volume 9 which deals with Naoko. I hope that helps.

So it's still going in Japan?

Wow. I didn't know it was that long!
And everything under the Sun is in tune, but the Sun is eclipsed by the Moon- Roger Waters

"Timeo hominem unius libris"

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Thu Feb 04, 2010 3:34 pm

I mentioned earlier in the thread that it's already up to chapter/stage 50-something.

Currently it's at Stage 58: the girls (Rei, Asuka, Kyoko, Misato, Yui, I think the female bridge bunnies too) go to a hot springs. They're nekkid as Rei and Asuka wish they had bigger breasts (no, I'm not making this up).

What really pisses me off about this manga is that since it is going Rei/Shinji, there should at least be a plot (the GoS2 manga had one), and Rei should at least be Rei instead some uncanny valley take of her. :um-no:

Return to “Everything Else Evangelion”