[TV] Is it time for the Simpsons to go?

A subforum for discussions about Film, TV, and Videos.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Eva Yojimbo
Redbeard
Redbeard

•      
  •      

Postby Eva Yojimbo » Fri Mar 05, 2010 10:28 pm

NemZ wrote:King of the Hill was HORRIBLE. I don't have the slightest idea how anyone can enjoy that.
Joseph the PRPD wrote:I don't like the show. I didn't think it was great. Get over it.
Why do you two insist on being wrong when you can be right?
Cinelogue & Forced Perspective Cinema
^ Writing as Jonathan Henderson ^
We're all adrift on the stormy seas of Evangelion, desperately trying to gather what flotsam can be snatched from the gale into a somewhat seaworthy interpretation so that we can at last reach the shores of reason and respite. - ObsessiveMathsFreak
Jimbo has posted enough to be considered greater than or equal to everyone, and or synonymous with the concept of 'everyone'. - Muggy
I've seen so many changeful years, / to Earth I am a stranger grown: / I wander in the ways of men, / alike unknowing and unknown: / Unheard, unpitied, unrelieved, / I bear alone my load of care; / For silent, low, on beds of dust, / Lie all that would my sorrows share. - Robert Burns' Lament for James

THE Hal E. Burton 9000
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby THE Hal E. Burton 9000 » Fri Mar 05, 2010 10:53 pm

NemZ wrote:King of the Hill was HORRIBLE. I don't have the slightest idea how anyone can enjoy that.
Joseph the PRPD wrote:I don't like the show. I didn't think it was great. Get over it.
you have to be from (or get the real socio-culture of) the Bible Belt, the Heartland, the South, whatever you want to call it, to understand the humor
- TEH Fabulous Hal E. Burton 9000

P.S. For those wanting to discuss a matter with yours truly not pertaining to the general topic at hand, PM me. Please and thank you.

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Sat Mar 06, 2010 12:19 am

I understand the idea... believe me, there are far more rednecks around me then I'd like. it just isn't funny.
Rest In Peace ~ 1978 - 2017
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf
"I think internet message boards and the like are dangerous." - Anno

Eva Yojimbo
Redbeard
Redbeard

•      
  •      

Postby Eva Yojimbo » Sat Mar 06, 2010 12:44 am

NemZ wrote:it just isn't funny.
It's funny in very subtle ways. As I've said before, there are jokes that I don't laugh the first several times I see an episode but then I'll watch it a 3rd, 4th, 5th time, etc. and all of a sudden it really makes me chuckle.
We're all adrift on the stormy seas of Evangelion, desperately trying to gather what flotsam can be snatched from the gale into a somewhat seaworthy interpretation so that we can at last reach the shores of reason and respite. - ObsessiveMathsFreak
Jimbo has posted enough to be considered greater than or equal to everyone, and or synonymous with the concept of 'everyone'. - Muggy
I've seen so many changeful years, / to Earth I am a stranger grown: / I wander in the ways of men, / alike unknowing and unknown: / Unheard, unpitied, unrelieved, / I bear alone my load of care; / For silent, low, on beds of dust, / Lie all that would my sorrows share. - Robert Burns' Lament for James

Xard
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Xard » Sat Mar 06, 2010 5:42 am

I liked King of the Hill somewhat when it aired in Finland but in all honesty it was vastly inferior to both Simpsons and South Park (Family Guy has thankfully never been aired here. Terrible thought) not to mention Futurama. Sure, it was occasionally funny but in all honesty what it mostly did was suck all joy out of me. The ugly, depressingly "brown" colours, unlikeable characters etc. was not fun to watch at all.

Typically I was just in crappy mood afterwards.

Not very good for a comedy show

Joseph the PRPD
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Joseph the PRPD » Sat Mar 06, 2010 6:44 am

Eva Yojimbo wrote:Why do you two insist on being wrong when you can be right?

Joseph the PRPD wrote:Get over it.

===
THE Hal E. Burton 9000 wrote:you have to be from (or get the real socio-culture of) the Bible Belt, the Heartland, the South, whatever you want to call it, to understand the humor

I understand it. I just don't find it funny.
Cheese wheel in the U.S. Coast Guard.

Eva Yojimbo
Redbeard
Redbeard

•      
  •      

Postby Eva Yojimbo » Sat Mar 06, 2010 9:38 pm

Xard wrote:I liked King of the Hill somewhat when it aired in Finland but in all honesty it was vastly inferior to both Simpsons and South Park
Except KotH is quite superior to both (Ok, The Simpsons at its best is better, but The Simpsons hasn't been at its best for many years). It still strikes me that most don't get that KotH is Spinal Tap for the South. And yet it's much richer than that and, as I said, has more in common with the ambiguity and brilliant writing of something like All in the Family. It's funny you should say it sucked the joy out of you since that's what South Park always seems to do with me. It's one of those works that's so modern and nihilistic that in its process of ripping the heart out of everything and very consciously destroying anything and everything that anyone could possibly hold dear it seems to have no heart of its own. You're seriously saying the cast of SP is more likable than that of KotH? I mean... seriously.

Joseph the PRPD
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Joseph the PRPD » Sat Mar 06, 2010 9:51 pm

Yojimbo, not everyone sees everything the way you do. I'm going to leave it at that.

These KotH tangents have become laughable at this point. At least to me they have.
Cheese wheel in the U.S. Coast Guard.

Eva Yojimbo
Redbeard
Redbeard

•      
  •      

Postby Eva Yojimbo » Sat Mar 06, 2010 10:31 pm

Joseph the PRPD wrote:Yojimbo, not everyone sees everything the way you do. I'm going to leave it at that.
But they should see it my way. If they don't then they're wrong, like you're wrong about KotH.

MugwumpHasNoLiver
Erotic Humiliation
Erotic Humiliation

•      
  •      

Postby MugwumpHasNoLiver » Sat Mar 06, 2010 10:42 pm

Neither of you are going to persuade the other about anything. It's probably best that you just keep thinking each other are wrong and not mention it anymore. This conversation is more cyclical than a lumpy breast in a blender. No, I didn't think about that comparison for very hard, I just knew it would get your attention.

Now as for the Simpsons, I love watching the Halloween specials, and they're usually a pretty good indicators of quality for whatever season they're in. I don't remember which ones, I think it was the most recent one or two, the ones that ended with a Sweeny Todd/Phantom of the Opera parody and the one with the Great Pumpkin parody where both leagues about the previous three or four specials. The last decent one was about five years ago, the one with the Sherlock Homles/Fantastic Voyage parody. Now none of these are as good as Pts. I-VI or VII, I'm not sure when they started getting mediocre, but much better than Family Guy and etc.
"Now, from Nature we obtain abundant information about ourselves, and precious little about others. About the woman you clasp in your arms, can you say with certainty that she does not feign pleasure? About the woman you mistreat, are you quite sure that from abuse she does not derive some obscure and lascivious satisfaction? Let us confine ourselves to simple evidence: through thoughtfulness, gentleness, concern for the feelings of others we saddle our own pleasure with restrictions, and make this sacrifice to obtain a doubtful result." -The Divine Marquis

"I agree Hans, but we have talked about those anal fisting analogies." -Werner Herzog

backseatjesus
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby backseatjesus » Sat Mar 06, 2010 11:02 pm

I think The Simpsons should take a two year break and the writers should sit down and THINK about what they could still do with the show.

Eva Yojimbo
Redbeard
Redbeard

•      
  •      

Postby Eva Yojimbo » Sat Mar 06, 2010 11:41 pm

MugwumpHasNoLiver wrote:Neither of you are going to persuade the other about anything. It's probably best that you just keep thinking each other are wrong and not mention it anymore.
I'm surprised it's gone on this long without anyone noticing that I'm completely and utterly just bullshitting with PRD (yeah, I make a bad troll by admitting this; so sue me). Has anyone EVER known me to just say "I'm right and you're wrong" and repeat it ad infinitum? I seriously am disappoint that nobody has noticed. At one point I just started doing it for the lulz and after about the 5th time of me repeating it I was shocked that PRD was still thinking I was in any way remotely serious.

MugwumpHasNoLiver
Erotic Humiliation
Erotic Humiliation

•      
  •      

Postby MugwumpHasNoLiver » Sun Mar 07, 2010 12:02 am

That was the impression I got, yes, that or an unruly sense of passion. I think what really makes you a bad troll is that no one expects you to troll.
"Now, from Nature we obtain abundant information about ourselves, and precious little about others. About the woman you clasp in your arms, can you say with certainty that she does not feign pleasure? About the woman you mistreat, are you quite sure that from abuse she does not derive some obscure and lascivious satisfaction? Let us confine ourselves to simple evidence: through thoughtfulness, gentleness, concern for the feelings of others we saddle our own pleasure with restrictions, and make this sacrifice to obtain a doubtful result." -The Divine Marquis

"I agree Hans, but we have talked about those anal fisting analogies." -Werner Herzog

Eva Yojimbo
Redbeard
Redbeard

•      
  •      

Postby Eva Yojimbo » Sun Mar 07, 2010 12:47 am

MugwumpHasNoLiver wrote:I think what really makes you a bad troll is that no one expects you to troll.
Or that could make me a very GOOD troll if I kept my mouth shut about it. :ting:

MugwumpHasNoLiver
Erotic Humiliation
Erotic Humiliation

•      
  •      

Postby MugwumpHasNoLiver » Sun Mar 07, 2010 12:53 am

No, you don't take it far enough.

As not to derail this thread, I was watching some Simpsons episodes, ones I haven't see in awhile, not even the 'classic' ones and there are moments where I laugh until it hurts. Like, the one where Lisa is running against Nelson for class president, and Homer suggests Lisa spread rumors that Nelson is gay. No one listens to me, but he prances around the table, doing a gay impersonation, skips around outside, then walks back in wearing a tutu while throwing flowers around from a basket. Lisa and Marge are unperturbed. In fact, the entire episode was brilliant, and this was season 15!

I think if they can pull off something like that just once a season, the show is worth keeping. Oh, I need to find that one and watch it again.

Allemann
Potential Pilot
Potential Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Allemann » Sun Mar 14, 2010 4:18 am

BrikHaus
Dokutah Tenma
Dokutah Tenma

•      
  •      

Postby BrikHaus » Sun Mar 14, 2010 11:41 am

Allemann wrote:Image

Finally, a combination of Jimbo's two favorite shows.
Awesomely Shitty
-"That purace has more badassu maddafaakas zan supermax spaceland."
-On EMF, as a thread becomes longer, the likelihood that fem-Kaworu will be mentioned increases exponentially.
-the only English language novel actually being developed in parallel to its Japanese version involving a pan-human Soviet in a galactic struggle to survive and to export the communist utopia/revolution to all the down trodden alien class and race- one of the premise being that Khrushchev remains and has abandoned Lysenko stupidity

Eva Yojimbo
Redbeard
Redbeard

•      
  •      

Postby Eva Yojimbo » Sun Mar 14, 2010 8:22 pm

:hitthetable: That image is too awesome for words!
BrikHaus wrote:Finally, a combination of Jimbo's two favorite shows.
I don't know about my two favorites; NGE certainly, but KotH is only my favorite in the niche of American animated comedies.

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Thu Oct 06, 2011 12:58 pm

Bump:

Apparently, The Simpsons will be ending next Season. I have mixed feelings about this. Yes, the show's quality isn't as good as it used to be (though it IS better than a lot of TV). But I literally grew up with the show, so not having it as a constant would be very surreal at the least.

http://tunedin.blogs.time.com/2011/10/05/its-all-about-the-doh-is-this-the-way-the-simpsons-should-end/

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/10/06/the-simpsons-next-season-last_n_998418.html?ir=Comedy
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

Tankred
Anime Ja Nai
Anime Ja Nai

•      
  •      

Postby Tankred » Thu Oct 06, 2011 2:55 pm

Simpson's ending?

Well that was unexpected.

Return to “Film and Video”