Main Encyclopedia Name

For discussion of and submissions for the EvaGeeks Wiki and Commentary. Open to all posters.

Moderators: UrsusArctos, Board Staff

ObsessiveMathsFreak
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Main Encyclopedia Name

•      
  •      

Postby ObsessiveMathsFreak » Sun Dec 13, 2009 10:02 pm

The main encyclopaedia section of the wiki still does not have a name. To be noted here is that the mediawiki installation current hosts at least 3(4?) separate sections. These are

1) The main encyclopaedia (colloquially "the wiki")
2) The commentary project
3) The Theory and analysis sections
4) Additional resources/content/etc

Currently the main encyclopaedia still does not have a name. Many moons ago various potential names were suggested. Of note here is that EvaWiki was at one point rejected, but seems to have lingered on. EvaPedia is already in use by another site. We need a definitive title for this section.

Let's have a brainstorm and hear some suggestions for the name of the encyclopaedia. Feel free to suggest names for the other sections as well. All forum posters are encouraged to offer submissions. Let's try and come to a decision on this quickly.

My own submission for the name is "The Entry Plug". I think it's a reasonably simple reference, if slightly series specific.
[Became an administrator on or before October 4th, 2007.]
May The Maths Be With You.

J_Faulkner
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby J_Faulkner » Sun Dec 13, 2009 10:13 pm

I'd say "Evangelium" is an apt name: the encyclopaedia is like a gospel, in the sense that it should contain information that is expected to have a positive effect on the reader. Plus, it is obviously relate to "Evangelion".
Examine me, O Lord, and prove me.
Try my reins and my heart.

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Sun Dec 13, 2009 11:07 pm

Evawiki (simple is best) or something like Entry Plug (lol) works.
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey » Sun Dec 13, 2009 11:29 pm

Just because there's another Eva wiki in another language that came to a logical conclusion of "EvaPedia" doesn't mean we can't use the same name.

But I am more in favor of EvaWiki. Simple, concise, and effective. Ideas are like explanations, the simplest tends to be the correct one.

We don't want an overly verbose title like the Neon Genesis Evangelion Fan-Geeks Commentary Project. :tongue:

ZapX
Guided by the New Era
Guided by the New Era

•      
  •      

Postby ZapX » Sun Dec 13, 2009 11:38 pm

The Mayo Jar
ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ"Stop watching anime. it makes you think all girls are incredibly hot and shy, and there are 10 that all want your boner which just isn't true." -Brik-aniki

"I CAN'T HELP IT THAT I WANT TO EAT MY OWN VULVA AND SHARE IT WITH A LOVED ONE!"-Reichu

"I have a fetish for naked women with stigmata playing ping pong in the mud. Is there a name for that?" -Kaiser O-Ornette-dono-sama

“Don’t do that; that was probably hooker money.” -SSD on me holding money with my mouth

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey » Sun Dec 13, 2009 11:48 pm

ZapX wrote:The Mayo Jar

ಠ_ಠ

Ironfoot
Armisael
Armisael

•      
  •      

Postby Ironfoot » Mon Dec 14, 2009 12:51 am

EvaWiki.

THE Hal E. Burton 9000
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby THE Hal E. Burton 9000 » Mon Dec 14, 2009 4:01 am

The Eva Monkey wrote:

ಠ_ಠ
^indeed, let's not go back there

*shudders*

anyway, something like EvaGeeksWiki or EvaGeeks' Wiki or Evangelion Wiki by EvaGeeks would be good
- TEH Fabulous Hal E. Burton 9000

P.S. For those wanting to discuss a matter with yours truly not pertaining to the general topic at hand, PM me. Please and thank you.

UrsusArctos
The Beginning and The End
The Beginning and The End

•      
  •      

Postby UrsusArctos » Mon Dec 14, 2009 8:17 am

Plain old EvaWiki sounds the best.
(Was Board Staff from Dec 31, 2007 - Oct 17, 2015 and Oct 20, 2020 - Aug 1, 2021)
Not knowing that Monk is bi is like not knowing the Pope is Catholic - ZapX
You're either really bad at interpreting jokes or really good at pretending you are and I have no idea which.-Monk Ed
WAAAAAAAAGH!!!!!(<-link to lunacy)...Taste me, if you can bear it. (Warning: Language NSFW)
The main point of idiocy is for the smart to have their lulz. Without human idiocy, trolling would not exist, and that's uncool, since a large part of my entertainment consists of mocking the absurdity and dumbassery of the world, especially the Internet.-MaggotMaster

AchtungAffen
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby AchtungAffen » Mon Dec 14, 2009 2:59 pm

WikiEva ?
"Oh, Constantine! To how many evils origin was given, not by your conversion to Christianity, but by the dowry which from you received the first Pope that was rich!" - Dante
How can you expect to live in a Republic when you don't care about the res-publica?
"The gun, in all its forms, was the epochal tool of white male supremacy, which is why it continues to have irrational appeal. As much as the jack-booted hate Jews and blacks, that much they love their guns." - James Carrol
My List @ AniDB

- Original activist against the lockers-that-be -

Starasp
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Starasp » Mon Dec 14, 2009 5:43 pm

J_Faulkner wrote:I'd say "Evangelium" is an apt name: the encyclopaedia is like a gospel, in the sense that it should contain information that is expected to have a positive effect on the reader. Plus, it is obviously relate to "Evangelion".

This sounds like the best one to me.
My handwriting is atrocious, so I cannot sign my signature. Sorry for any trouble this may cause.

"We do not experience fear, but we understand how it affects you." -Legion

"The point is that I am now a perfectly safe penguin, and my colleague here is rapidly running out of limbs!" - Ford Prefect, Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.

BobBQ
Dyskolos
Dyskolos

•      
  •      

Postby BobBQ » Mon Dec 14, 2009 8:18 pm

Seconded.

esselfortium
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby esselfortium » Mon Dec 14, 2009 8:36 pm

BobBQ wrote:

Seconded.

Thirded.

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey » Mon Dec 14, 2009 9:08 pm

esselfortium wrote:
BobBQ wrote:

Seconded.

Thirded.

GTFO

Tlaloc
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Tlaloc » Sun Dec 20, 2009 1:26 am

I really believe it should not include the "wiki" word in it.

Evapedia? The Suzahara memorial online resource book? The Junior Woodchuck's guide on Neon Genesis Evangelion?

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey » Sun Dec 20, 2009 1:55 am

Tlaloc wrote:I really believe it should not include the "wiki" word in it.

I really know that it should include the word wiki in it.

According to Google, thousands of people seach for "eva wiki" and "evangelion wiki" each month. So strategically, it would be in our best interest for it to be called "Eva Wiki", "Eva Geeks Wiki", "Eva Geeks Evangelion Wiki", or something to that effect. Gotta capture some of that traffic yo.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:01 am

Isn't the entire Wiki-based portion of the site the EvaGeeks Wiki? I actually considered, a while back, that it would be a good idea to officially name wiki.evageeks.org exactly that. Time to retire "Fan-Geeks Project"; that's an old thing I never finished, and the new site is something else. Let's rename the whole thing, all.

"EvaPedia" is a pretty easy portmanteau to come up with, and I see nothing especially wrong with calling a SUBSECTION of the site precisely that.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

ObsessiveMathsFreak
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby ObsessiveMathsFreak » Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:57 am

There is a source of confusion here in that the Mediawiki installation hosts the encyclopaedia as well as the commentary, and indeed some other content. The "name" we give the installation will be seen across all sections of the site.

That said, I think that EvaWiki is probably the best choice for the entire installation, as well as for the encyclopaedia section of installation. People generally understand that the term "wiki" is a synonym for "internet encyclopaedia". As it turns out, the site is the first result in Google for "Evawiki" already, and the second(after Wikipedia) for "eva wiki", so I think we may as well go with the collective decision of the internets.

The only source of confusion that may arise is on the Commentary section of the site, but I think the differing colour scheme may help somewhat here.

We really can't use EvaPedia. It's taken by someone else and my way of thinking is that, similarly to DNS, names on the internet are first come, first served.
[Became an administrator on or before October 4th, 2007.]
May The Maths Be With You.

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey » Tue Jan 12, 2010 10:27 am

ObsessiveMathsFreak wrote:As it turns out, the site is the first result in Google for "Evawiki" already, and the second(after Wikipedia) for "eva wiki", so I think we may as well go with the collective decision of the internets.

That's great and all, but what we're really after is "evangelion wiki". I'm fairly certain that the search phrase "eva wiki" is being input for all manners of things OTHER than Evangelion. Google's Keyword Tool data supports this. The mainpage shows up as #3 for "evangelion wiki", but we really need the actual wiki index in there instead.

5400 searches are made for "evangelion wiki" each month, and we really want to capture some of that hotness. Even if we're second to wikipedia, that's awesome. I say the main wiki title ought to be something like:

Evangelion Wiki | Eva Geeks

And then:

PAGE TITLE | Evangelion Wiki | Eva Geeks

or

PAGE TITLE | Evangelion Wiki

or

The Eva Geeks Evangelion Wiki

Ideally, we want that keyword right up front, so "Evangelion Wiki | Eva Geeks" is our best title candidate based upon an SEO/exposure approach.

ZapX
Guided by the New Era
Guided by the New Era

•      
  •      

Postby ZapX » Tue Jan 12, 2010 10:54 am

THE

MAYO

JAR

In all seriousness, I like what EM is getting at here. When you look at most top hits for various wikis, they're always "(name or title of subject) Wiki". I really don't care either way, but if I were doing it I'd do it that way.
ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ"Stop watching anime. it makes you think all girls are incredibly hot and shy, and there are 10 that all want your boner which just isn't true." -Brik-aniki

"I CAN'T HELP IT THAT I WANT TO EAT MY OWN VULVA AND SHARE IT WITH A LOVED ONE!"-Reichu

"I have a fetish for naked women with stigmata playing ping pong in the mud. Is there a name for that?" -Kaiser O-Ornette-dono-sama

“Don’t do that; that was probably hooker money.” -SSD on me holding money with my mouth

Return to “Wiki Editing and Discussion”