EoE blood+legs question

For serious and at times in-depth discussions only, covering the original TV series, the movies End of Evangelion and Death & Rebirth.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
toe mash
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

EoE blood+legs question

•      
  •      

Postby toe mash » Fri Dec 11, 2009 10:31 am

Was looking at a few minutes of EoE the other day. And, again, saw that after the scene where we hear "rejection lines" repeatedly, we see a pair of legs with a scribble of blood coming from between them. Quite the obvious meaning. And, again, I was unsure what was point of it at that point, as it isn't very subtle. I mean this picture:

(sorry for mediocre quality, its from a crappy bootleg DVD I got from E-bay)

I tried to remember if this appears anywhere else in the series, and see if this is a subtle reference or something. I recalled that something similar was with Misato in ep. 2:

Doesn't look like it to much. Obviously isn't the exactly same frame just colored differently.

I wasn't really sure what to search for in threads, so I just made this one.

Anywayyyy..... What's the point of this image at the end of the break up sequence? It's just after we see Misato/Rei talking to (presumably) Shinji but we only see their faces (At about 1:12:48).

Maybe it means the break up lines could be paralleled to a period, sort of like a mother rejecting her baby? I dunno. Still, I'm intrigued. Thoughts?

P.S
If I'm already on the topic of weird images, whats with the nipple being shown in the live action sequence? Would expect to see it mentioned more :pp

http://i.imagehost.org/0394/EOE_nipple.jpg

(Might be better hot-linking this one...)

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey » Fri Dec 11, 2009 11:31 am

A couple days ago I downloaded an EoE Renewal fansub and noticed this for this first time.

I saw EoE for the first time almost 8 years ago. And in that time, I never noticed this because of the horrendous quality of Manga's DVD.

That montage has quite a lot of sexual/pseudo-sexual stuff going on in there. There's even a nude live action woman buried in there that looks like she's had a filter or rotoscoping applied to her. It appears around the same time as this menstrual blood cut.

There's a lot of interesting source material and techniques going on in that segment of the film. Film scratches, video, stills, live action, cosplay, layered compositions, even the back sides of painted animation cells from the TV series.

Lots of neat stuff going on in there. As an artist/filmmaker-type, I look at this as technique before meaning. I think Anno was trying to experiment, but wasn't necessarily trying to convey individual meanings through the pieces he used. I think it's more about experimentation, breaking down the medium in parallel with the breakdown of the psychological elements.

Also, it's all about sex, just like everything else.

You're free to disagree with me, it is after all my personal interpretation.

toe mash
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby toe mash » Fri Dec 11, 2009 11:59 am

Loads of images flash during that sequence, which probably shouldn't have any meaning tagged onto them. I agree with you on that. It's just that this particular image is shown just enough to notice it (unless you're watching a really bad quality version of the movie. Also, thanks for mentioning that, as I was sure I was getting screwed over by not having the original manga DVDs)

But maybe this image is supposed to convey something, and I don't think it would require over analysis :)

(I never knew that they show backsides of animation cells there, thats pretty cool)

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Fri Dec 11, 2009 1:35 pm

Sex is used as a symbol of spiritual union earlier in the movie, so I think it's the same intent here. However this occurs during the "Chorus of Bitter Ex Girlfriends" segment, so my reading is that this is Shinji watching from the outside as humanity becomes one while telling him he isn't wanted. Sort of a parting "Thanks for killing everyone, asshole!" kind of deal.

perhaps that's why when he goes into their world he isn't there... not because instrumentality is a selfless existance, but because he isn't accepted into it. Taken that way, it makes his decision to go back just anouther extraordinarily selfish move rather than a personal triumph.

:devil:
Rest In Peace ~ 1978 - 2017
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf
"I think internet message boards and the like are dangerous." - Anno

VoidEater
Matarael
Matarael

•      
  •      

Postby VoidEater » Fri Dec 11, 2009 1:37 pm

My only comment is on the potential for connecting the two images.

I do not believe they are related. Sure, they are both (feminine) legs viewed from above, but that's really about it.

The turning of the knees in the mentruation scene is typical of sexual or reproductive cycle expression imagery, while the bath scene uses a more "demure" signaling position - that leads me to say there are different messages being conveyed in the two scenes, though to me they are both aspects of the feminine.
"I would like to see a clown remake of 'Terms of Endearment' or 'The Thorn Birds.' Or maybe a big disaster movie, like 'Towering Inferno.' That's stuff I'd pay to see. Nothing says entertainment more than burning clowns."

ObsessiveMathsFreak
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby ObsessiveMathsFreak » Fri Dec 11, 2009 1:57 pm

The only scene connection I'm aware of with regard to this scene is Asuka's tirade about her cramps in #22'.
[Became an administrator on or before October 4th, 2007.]
May The Maths Be With You.

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Fri Dec 11, 2009 4:08 pm

When this image was discussed before -- someone with more stamina than I could track that down somewhere in the records of 4-5 years ago-- I don't think we came to any stunning revelations.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Fri Dec 11, 2009 5:12 pm

The only thing I have to add to this discussion is the breakup lines sequence itself is during full-fledged Instrumentality as opposed to the Pre-Instrumentality wackiness from earlier in the film.
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

toe mash
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby toe mash » Sat Dec 12, 2009 3:28 am

Thanks for replies :toothy:

Thats an interesting take on the issue, Nemz :P
Was wondering why after Shinji asks "Is it okay for me to be here?" he screams frantically. Do you think its for the same reason?

ObsessiveMathsFreak wrote:The only scene connection I'm aware of with regard to this scene is Asuka's tirade about her cramps in #22'.

Can you point me to what specific scene you're thinking of?

Hexon.Arq
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Hexon.Arq » Sat Dec 12, 2009 5:02 am

The mysteries of sex evaporate, through shared existence, to reveal a dishearteningly unromantic, simple, and in some ways gross biological reality. That's what I got out of it, anyway; Shinji's echoes of rejection are being juxtaposed with the consolation of disillusionment through familiarity with what it being denied. He is "crossing over" while simultaneously being harshly severed.

I haven't seen the sequence in a long time, though, so I don't know.

_you can't do anything, so don't even try
_get some help
_don't do what sonic does

Kamina
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Kamina » Wed Dec 16, 2009 8:42 pm

In case you guys never noticed they showed many times during that section with many sexual things with Rei, Asuka, and Misato talking, this is very hard to see on the mangle dvds that i managed to barely glimpse one day and make out is a nude real women being filmed moving around and ultimately coming to rest on her breasts as they cut to the theater scene. I thought i was reading into the fuzz at first but you can see the clear image of a women and even her nipples at the end.

Never realized their was real nudity in this film in this scene till recently so it majorly surprised me when i noticed it.

tomrule123
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

•      
  •      

Postby tomrule123 » Wed Dec 16, 2009 8:45 pm

Right now, I am seeing this through the renewal footage (don't ask how I found it) but I still can't seem to figure out what is really showing. Seems like they did an excellent job covering it. As for the images and voices in Lilith's mind, f***ing brilliant.

FallenTabris
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby FallenTabris » Fri Dec 25, 2009 4:15 pm

Hexon.Arq wrote:The mysteries of sex evaporate, through shared existence, to reveal a dishearteningly unromantic, simple, and in some ways gross biological reality. That's what I got out of it, anyway; Shinji's echoes of rejection are being juxtaposed with the consolation of disillusionment through familiarity with what it being denied. He is "crossing over" while simultaneously being harshly severed.

I haven't seen the sequence in a long time, though, so I don't know.

I just wanted to say this is a great post. I felt similarly but never put it to words.

Return to “Evangelion TV Series + EoE Discussion”