Content Submissions, Suggestions and Comments

For discussion of and submissions for the EvaGeeks Wiki and Commentary. Open to all posters.

Moderators: UrsusArctos, Board Staff

UrsusArctos
The Beginning and The End

•      
  •      

Postby UrsusArctos » Fri Oct 24, 2014 10:04 pm

The Wiki is dormant, and I don't know what's going on with the Commentary either, but I haven't heard anything from the Commentary editors in a while. I can only assume that it's dormant for now too. OMF is away, after all.

In the absence of real information on the last movie, we're stuck with regurgitating and cleaning up older information - a prospect that no one likes.

mechashiva - rather than one huge essay, maybe you could focus on a series of smaller academic works drawing features to more minor themes before you moved on to major ones? It might ease the build-up to full-on works, and give time for more people to get on.
(Was Board Staff from Dec 31, 2007 - Oct 17, 2015 and Oct 20, 2020 - Aug 1, 2021)
Not knowing that Monk is bi is like not knowing the Pope is Catholic - ZapX
You're either really bad at interpreting jokes or really good at pretending you are and I have no idea which.-Monk Ed
WAAAAAAAAGH!!!!!(<-link to lunacy)...Taste me, if you can bear it. (Warning: Language NSFW)
The main point of idiocy is for the smart to have their lulz. Without human idiocy, trolling would not exist, and that's uncool, since a large part of my entertainment consists of mocking the absurdity and dumbassery of the world, especially the Internet.-MaggotMaster

Nuclear Lunchbox
Agent Ahegao
Agent Ahegao

•      
  •      

Postby Nuclear Lunchbox » Fri Oct 24, 2014 10:30 pm

It's dormant because we're missing all of our Japanese language workers, mostly.

mechashiva
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby mechashiva » Sat Oct 25, 2014 11:21 am

Yeah, I think that would work. It would be less daunting to start one big top-down overview of the series and instead focus on one or two individual tropes. Also I'm a bit stuck because I haven't read any of the meta-commentary (what Hideaki Anno or Sadamoto has said about their intent on the series) so I would be extrapolating from the series itself and attempting to put a psychological lens on it but maybe given Anno's...trolling reputation, it may be best not to use his specific thoughts on Evangelion as a definitive "I was going for this" for the article but it would be nice have another source to use other than my theories.

But yeah, what possible articles to spin out of this bigger "Evangelion's mecha tropes and how it deals with it" series:
-Shinji as a protagonist
-The world of Evangelion (how Neo-Tokyo 3 is set up)
-Cynicism and secrecy (how NERV and SEELE operate to keep Shinji, the audience surrogate, in the dark about what the EVAs are, what the Angels are, why they're fighting them, etc.)
-The pilot and robot becoming one and how the show actually explains why that happens instead it just being something to show how talented/skillful the pilot is

maybe also what I said about patrilineal legacy, the robot being passed from father/grand-father/father figure to son or even just one whole article about Shinji's relationship with Gendo.
"Every child is an artist, the problem is staying an artist when you grow up."-Pablo Picasso

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Mon Dec 01, 2014 1:02 am

Since there's lack of video game info and I played the PSP version of Secret of Evangelion, I finally made a page for it here: https://wiki.evageeks.org/Secret_of_Evangelion

Anybody wants to add info to it (I'm a little confused in that I didn't realize there's multiple routes), please feel free. I have a boatload of pictures and info (some based on its Japanese Wikipedia page, since I only half-understood what the game was talking about) on the way too.

As for the ending and plot I got... I had no idea multiple routes were a thing in this 'til I read up on it! :lol:

Seriously, plot and ending  SPOILER: Show
Kenzaki's related to the Angels (Adam, apparently--need more details on how/the phrase used) and needed for Gendo's plans, since both Rei 2 (later 3) and Kaworu comment he's similar to them. I guess I played the game very straightforward because the highest character relationship was with Shinji: Rei 3 begged Kenzaki to go help Shinji during EoE events/confronting Gendo at the Dummy Plug Plant. After Shinji apparently went off to Eva-01, Kenzaki placed near-death Misato in Eva-04's entry plug (I forget how Eva-04 showed up) for protection and thought about the good old college days with Kaji as he apparently died.

And yes, he's Kaji's killer, but it was understood between them that he'd continue to seek the truth about Nerv alongside Misato. Not sure what exactly was going on there in terms of why it was part of the job for Kenzaki (didn't seem to be Gendo's orders) since he's obviously not with Seele. Kenzaki is looked at as Gendo's doll--by Shinji--for part of the game, since he just obeys orders...but shows he has his own will too... (Oh gee, parallels, between a lot of characters...)

Near EoE events, Ritsuko explained how Gendo's plans are different from Seele's HIP because he wants to reunite with Yui. She and Gendo both mention how Third Impact and HIP specifically wouldn't kill off humanity, because they'd revert to LCL and merge into one being. Kaworu apparently doesn't care what Seele wants to do because that's their concern, while his is meeting Shinji.

There's also lots of plot about some anti Nerv (and Seele?) organization, but they seem more interested in money than anything else, I think. There's seemingly 2 other groups other than Seele/Nerv, so I'm not 100% sure what was going on with them.

Oh, and Fuyutsuki (Ritsuko too) mention how Yui's goals was about hope for the future/the children, part of the reason she went into Eva.

I dunno how much input Anno or Gainax had on this one compared to say, NGE 2, but nothing clashes what we know other than including some new character weirdness.
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

mechashiva
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby mechashiva » Sat Feb 21, 2015 8:39 pm

I looked through the Editorium forum and couldn't find it (I guess because the thread to add to the Commentary has been closed or permanently deleted) but I wanted to add something to the episode 2 commentary that I noticed. (I skimmed really quickly again just in case but I'm not sure if what I wanted to add has been said before)
"Every child is an artist, the problem is staying an artist when you grow up."-Pablo Picasso

UrsusArctos

•      
  •      

Postby UrsusArctos » Sat Feb 21, 2015 11:38 pm

I'm not sure if we opened the commentary to Episode 02 again. Anyway, PM me whatever you want to add, and I'll add it on.
(Was Board Staff from Dec 31, 2007 - Oct 17, 2015 and Oct 20, 2020 - Aug 1, 2021)
You're either really bad at interpreting jokes or really good at pretending you are and I have no idea which.-Monk Ed
WAAAAAAAAGH!!!!!(<-link to lunacy)...Taste me, if you can bear it. (Warning: Language NSFW)
The main point of idiocy is for the smart to have their lulz. Without human idiocy, trolling would not exist, and that's uncool, since a large part of my entertainment consists of mocking the absurdity and dumbassery of the world, especially the Internet.-MaggotMaster

AlphaGamma
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby AlphaGamma » Mon Apr 27, 2015 7:23 am

Just wanted to point out that i've rewritten parts of the Asuka-Shinji theory
( [url]http://wiki.evageeks.org/Theory_and_Analysis:Shinji_and_Asuka%27s_Relationship[/url] ) and added some of the episodes that were missing. I've put more of a focus on Shinji being Kaji's replacement and I've analysed more scenes than the old theory in an attempt to write something more accurate.

I'm planning to add a section dedicated to Eoe, if you think the rewrite is fine. It certainly could use some proofreading.

Ofc i still have the old version, in case the new one isn't acceptable though i'm sure u can just undo the edit.

UrsusArctos

•      
  •      

Postby UrsusArctos » Tue Apr 28, 2015 2:16 pm

Too busy for proofreading, but that is one impressive first edit! Go ahead with the EoE section. Don't worry about rolling it back - there's no need to roll back an edit except in cases of spam, vandalism or blatant nonsense.

cody727kirby
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby cody727kirby » Tue May 05, 2015 2:37 pm

I'm going to be pre-ordering the translated Evangelion Chronicle books from Udon, Side A and Side B, first of which will be released in June, and would LOVE to contribute and transcribe the information for the wiki, either by implementing it into the existing pages, or by creating its own exclusive page. It's the very least I can do to contribute to this awesome community that has entertained my love for EVA for so many years.

There's bound to be at least a few gems in the books, esp. since they are considered "third-tier canon", might at least flesh out the world a little more.

UrsusArctos

•      
  •      

Postby UrsusArctos » Tue May 05, 2015 3:15 pm

That sounds awesome! :asuka_thumbsup:

Hold on, I don't see a wiki account under your name. Want me to create one for you?

cody727kirby
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby cody727kirby » Tue May 05, 2015 3:51 pm

Oh, sure! That'd be great, thanks. Should've read up on the Wiki/Scribe threads before jumping right in, lol

Shamsiel-kun
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

•      
  •      

Postby Shamsiel-kun » Tue May 05, 2015 4:07 pm

Question: Is there any interest in a page about officially licensed resin kits?

I ask because I have here all of Hobby Japan's Garage kit catalogues that were ever released, meaning I can provide pictures of all mass-produced Evangelion resin kits in the period 1996-2002...

(if there's no interest I'll just make a page on my personal website)

UrsusArctos

•      
  •      

Postby UrsusArctos » Tue May 05, 2015 4:13 pm

Officially licensed resin kits? Sounds like it'd be a refreshing change from the usual topics, so go right ahead!

View Original Postcody727kirby wrote:Oh, sure! That'd be great, thanks. Should've read up on the Wiki/Scribe threads before jumping right in, lol

No issues...and check your inbox, the signup email should be there soon.

Shamsiel-kun
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

•      
  •      

Postby Shamsiel-kun » Tue May 05, 2015 4:40 pm

View Original PostUrsusArctos wrote:Officially licensed resin kits? Sounds like it'd be a refreshing change from the usual topics, so go right ahead!

Alright, I'll see how much time it will cost me to scan everything.

I'm not sure a single page will be enough; Evangelion is one of the few series that has had dozens, if not hundreds, of resin kits made - and I'm not even counting convention-exclusive stuff. The only other series that probably has a similar number of kits is Gundam. Another way of showing how much impact it had, I guess.

cody727kirby
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby cody727kirby » Tue May 05, 2015 4:43 pm

View Original PostUrsusArctos wrote:No issues...and check your inbox, the signup email should be there soon.

Awesome, thank you. Initially, I'll most likely just create an exclusive "Evangelion Chronicle: Side A / Side B" page as an organized information dump, at least until other mods discern whether the information can be implemented in the other wiki pages.

View Original PostShamsiel-kun wrote:Question: Is there any interest in a page about officially licensed resin kits?

Just my two cents, but that would be awesome! Especially since you have a complete collection, impressive btw. Yours would nicely stand out among some of the lighter pages covering video games and the like.

UrsusArctos

•      
  •      

Postby UrsusArctos » Tue May 05, 2015 4:53 pm

View Original Postcody727kirby wrote:Awesome, thank you. Initially, I'll most likely just create an exclusive "Evangelion Chronicle: Side A / Side B" page as an organized information dump, at least until other mods discern whether the information can be implemented in the other wiki pages.

Apart from I and Ornette, there are no active "mods" on the wiki. The wiki admins, bureaucrats and sysops are a separate group from the forum mods and admins.

There's no issue, since organizing the information on the wiki is easy. Any pertinent information can be included in other wiki pages by anyone, since that's how a wiki works.

Shamsiel-kun
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

•      
  •      

Postby Shamsiel-kun » Wed May 06, 2015 1:34 am

View Original Postcody727kirby wrote:
Just my two cents, but that would be awesome! Especially since you have a complete collection, impressive btw. Yours would nicely stand out among some of the lighter pages covering video games and the like.

"Complete collection" of the media a lot of them were depicted in, not of the model kits (that would be enough to fill a modelling store or two with -o-; oh wait, my stack of model kits (not all Eva) does look like one... :lol: ).

So what I'm thinking of is doing a general page on models (might add the toys onto the page as well, they have no page right now), then make sub-pages for specific subjects - thinking of models/toys for the original series, movie series, games (including the official stripping game :bigeyes: *), Rebuild, and those mostly intended as fanservice (e.g. figures done up as Race Queens). That should cover it more or less, without taking up too much Wiki space.

* If I add a picture of one of these, it will be censored by big black bars (that is "If"; they are all rather tasteless, IMHO).

UrsusArctos

•      
  •      

Postby UrsusArctos » Wed May 06, 2015 6:36 am

We do have space enough for the commentary images and the images of all those warships, so space isn't an issue.

View Original PostShamsiel-kun wrote:.

* If I add a picture of one of these, it will be censored by big black bars (that is "If"; they are all rather tasteless, IMHO).

Sure sounds that way. Not sure I'd want any images of these, even censored ones, on the wiki.

UltraSonic007
Embryo

Nansha Islands Error

•      
  •      

Postby UltraSonic007 » Sat May 09, 2015 6:01 pm

Not on part of the wiki, but on the show's part.

http://wiki.evageeks.org/Nansha_Islands

So according to the wiki, there's political unrest and suicide bombings ongoing on these islands due to lingering unrest, as overheard by a radio broadcast.

This might be somewhat difficult, given that the highest point of these islands is only 4 meters according to Wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spratly_Islands

Why is this relevant? Because Antarctica melting due to Second Impact would raise the sea level by at least 61 meters:

http://science.howstuffworks.com/environmental/earth/geophysics/question473.htm

Just a little case of 'Not Showing Their Work' that I stumbled upon! :3
Oddly-Appropriate Quotes for Evangelion
Oliver Wendell Holmes Jr.: "The great act of faith is when a man decides he is not God. The greatest act of faith is when a man understands he is not God."
Mel Brooks: "Humor is just another defense against the universe."

UrsusArctos

•      
  •      

Postby UrsusArctos » Sun May 10, 2015 9:44 am

Indeed, and that's an article that I haven't seen since 2007 that you've stumbled upon! :lol: Nice find!

Return to “Wiki Editing and Discussion”