[CYOA]Misato (AU): This is the Way the World Ends

General Role-Playing and collective works.

Moderator: Board Staff

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

[CYOA]Misato (AU): This is the Way the World Ends

Postby NemZ » Thu Oct 08, 2009 7:44 pm

Alright, I've decided that it's high time I stopped just lording my influence over everyone else's CYOA threads and started one of my own. Misato was the only main character who hasn't been claimed yet, thus here we are. Expect the cannon to be almost entirely ignored, the better to keep everyone playing things fair and square; Your encyclopedic knowledge will not avail you!

There will be choices provided every update, but feel free to make your own suggestions at all times. The one with the most votes will usually win, but I reserve the right to ignore your feeble democracy if a suggestion amuses (or annoys) me enough. It might just end at any moment if stupidity wins the day, so do try and take things seriously, okay?

Oh, and I'll update whenever I damned well feel like it.

Ready? Let's roll.

###############

"God, Nagasaki is such a shithole."

"Sure beats Bangladesh, Lieutenant," Hiroshi replied, typical shit-eating grin already creeping up his face.

Was it really all that different from your last assignment? Same desperate poverty, huddled masses, starvation, filth and squalor everywhere... the only difference is you can read the traffic signs and understand which insults the locals are making under their breath. More paperwork if you shoot one too, even for minor flesh wounds. Such a bother.

Well... less radiation is a plus. Damn containment suits were sweltering to work in, not that it's all that much better to be cruising the streets of always Summer Japan in composite flex armor. Probably should have waited until you reached the outer staging zone to put your game face on too... the paint is getting itchy.

Actually, what the hell was it we were going to do today? You're drawing a blank. Come to think of it, did you even read the dossier?

- Admit to Hiroshi that you don't know what you're doing and ask for the quick version
- Talk about the mission vaguelly, fishing for hints that will jog your memory
- Shut out the world and focus, try to make yourself remember
- Make small talk to fill the drive time, and trust you'll know what to do when you get there... It's not like it's your first dance, right?
- (suggestions?)
Last edited by NemZ on Sat Jul 06, 2013 9:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rest In Peace ~ 1978 - 2017
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf
"I think internet message boards and the like are dangerous." - Anno

Sammaeloo
Bridge Bunny
Bridge Bunny

Postby Sammaeloo » Thu Oct 08, 2009 7:49 pm

Talk vaguely about the mission.

"Yeah I remember when I'm supposed tooo yyeeeeeaaa.....?"
Seize the day.....by the throat....
I hate mcdonalds because their mascot is a creepy spooky clown who looks like he smells funny. Seriously every time I see ronald I think he's secretly some sort of rapist who turns people into hamburgers. Also their food sucks. -Defectron
Our plumbing is messed up and my dad will not call anybody because he's a cheap asshole. Fuck you old man, fucking call someone. Some of us want to stay sanitary. -backseatjesus

Great Genius Shinji-Sama
Test Subject
Test Subject

Postby Great Genius Shinji-Sama » Thu Oct 08, 2009 7:51 pm

Uhmmmmm. :ehh: I really don't know what to say Nemz. Don't take it personally, but I really just need to get a "feel" for this. Its not the lack of Eva knowledge but the lack of the environment, of character knowledge, or any important details. Like WhoTF is Hiroshi. :shrug: Is this still EvaVerse? What is Misato in this CYOA? We just need details. Theyre important. :smirk:
Avatar: Utena and Anthy hawtness <3
-----------------------------------------------------------
XBOX LIVE GAMERTAG: ShinjiSama01
http://shinjisama.wordpress.com/ - Blog
http://otakuno1.deviantart.com/ - Deviant account

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

Postby NemZ » Thu Oct 08, 2009 9:17 pm

Oh ye of little faith...

Background and setting details will be revealed as the story progresses.
This is still the eva universe, just not quite the same one you already know.

Oh fine, if it makes things a little clearer... it's early 2014. Angels are 16 months away.
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf

Great Genius Shinji-Sama
Test Subject
Test Subject

Postby Great Genius Shinji-Sama » Thu Oct 08, 2009 9:20 pm

Ok. I'm sorry if I sounded...... difficult? but that's just kinda how I operate. :redface: Talk about the mission vaguely.

Dirty Mick
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

Postby Dirty Mick » Fri Oct 09, 2009 6:32 am

Small talk sounds like a good idea. I wouldn't mind seeing what Hiroshi has to say.

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

Postby NemZ » Fri Oct 09, 2009 7:20 am

"You know they're just going to send us back when this job is done," you reply.

"Probably," Hiroshi sighs. "You never know though, this sort of job doesn't happen every day. Usually they'd let local enforcement handle it, not call in the pros... especially not for some dried up old geezer. I guess whatever info he has is too important to risk letting him see trial."

Wetwork again, then. When you joined the IJA at 17 you thought you'd be helping to reestablish order in the wake of Second Impact, secure the Empire and all that... and maybe find some sort of direction in your own life. More often then not the government's idea of establishing order is to kill anyone problematic though. Calling in a hit like this on the home islands though, that was still a rarity.

The target was an old man then, a spy or a traitor... or a whistle blower. Whatever he knew, it wasn't meant for public consumption. Okay, that means the job is to ace him and anyone else on the premises, grab his computer and torch the place. Still, Hiro was right; taking out a target with something big to hide was exactly the sort of mission that gets you promoted... or quietly dissapeared. Either way foreign deployment probably wasn't on the horizon.

"You're right, this is the big time and we have to do this right or not at all. Run it by me again, just so I know we're on the same page."

His grin dies. "This isn't going to be like Saigon, I swear. No Hiroics."

"Indulge me."

"Fine... Target is Kozo Fuyutsuki, 58, doctor. Engagement theater is a houseboat renovated as a clinic. Objectives are elimination, demolition and retrieval, in that order of priority. No chit-chat, no survivors, and nothing left behind bigger than a splinter."

Oh, that's why you didn't remember; as soon as you read the word 'clinic' you decided it was time for a drink. Then Hiroshi dropped by and one drink became a few, and the next thing you know it's morning and he's getting suited up. At least you didn't wake up naked this time... Hiro seemed to be missing the distinction between a fuck buddy and a relationship, no need to encourage him.

"So what's our strategy? Hanzo and Ishida are going to want to know right away if they get to use their toys."

- Go in hard and fast, 2-by-2, and sweep the area before the target has time to react.
- Creep in close, let Ishida take the target from range with the scope and clean up afterwards.
- Let Hanzo blow the ship from below, then mop up any survivors.
- (suggestions?)

Gryphus_OnE
Adam

Postby Gryphus_OnE » Fri Oct 09, 2009 7:53 am

I say gather more intel first on the place, unless they have already memorized the entire place already, going over blueprints *however small it is*, Fuyutsuki's schedule and all. Seeing as this is the old dude and all I wouldn't be suprised if he sorta expected this to happen.
"Each bolt in this magazine is a vote for Mankind" *Space Marine proceeds to exterminate Xenos and sits down upon completion* "you may now state your objections." - Metalsheep7

SaltyJoe
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

Postby SaltyJoe » Fri Oct 09, 2009 11:03 am

NemZ wrote:More often then not the government's idea of establishing order is to kill anyone problematic though.

Well that is the most permanent solution.

Anyway, is it possible to cut the power of the houseboat? To turn off the lights (is it lit at all)? If so, do a little snooping around for boobyhurr traps and combine this with option #1. Oh yeah, do we have nightvision equipment?

Great Genius Shinji-Sama
Test Subject
Test Subject

Postby Great Genius Shinji-Sama » Fri Oct 09, 2009 11:54 am

Three sounds like fun. :eatbomb:

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

Postby NemZ » Fri Oct 09, 2009 11:20 pm

Don't fret, people... this is basically a prologue, a chance to see Misato 'before' so that you can better appreciate the 'after'. You'll be up to your ears in unstable teenagers, alien invaders and machiavellian plots before you know it. :thumbsup:

###############

"I want to take a look at the place before I make that call," you reply.

"What's to see?" He complains, "It's just some rinky-dink boat, four or five rooms max. We could sweep that and be back in bed before the sun comes up."

"What's around it, for one thing. I'm leaning towards letting Hanzo off his leash rather than play pattycake with this guy, but it depends on the circumstances. If he's worth having us come knocking, chances are he's expecting company."

Hiroshi offers a noncommittal grunt and goes quiet, perhaps considering the job seriously for the first time. His boyish looks seem to fade into serious angles in the silence as his optimism gets put back in it's box.

A few minutes later you're cruising down the waterfront, driving on electric only and lights off. Beneath the glare of the dock lights it's obvious that the waterline is crowded as hell, a floating campground at some points five ships deep, all moored together with a web of taut ropes and wooden planks. Goddamn floating rat trap, probably full to bursting with Southern Hemisphere survivors.

"Still feeling cocky?" you ask quietly.

He doesn't reply. Doesn't need to.

Hiroshi pulls the jeep in behind a warehouse on the docks, now probably full of refugees rather than cargo, and parks next to an IJA light troop transport and two local enforcement cars.

"Hey boss lady," Ishida welcomes with a smoker's rasp.

"Hanzo?" you ask.

"Inside doing a little recon with the townies. They found a guy willing to shine a spotlight on our target for a price. They're doing a little negotiating."

"Fucking Hanzo," Hiroshi mutters.

- Ask Ishida his impression of the situation
- Go inside and check on the informant, hopefully before Hanzo gets creative
- Get a closer look at the target on your own
- (suggestions?)

Xeroko
Forum Maid
Forum Maid

Postby Xeroko » Fri Oct 09, 2009 11:25 pm

Get a closer look at the target.
Clocks and Maids
Don't believe in yourself, believe in the maid who believes in you! <3
The Ewan McGregor and Jaime Lannister Fangirl of EGF
My cakes will pierce the heavens!
Maidly Quote: "I'll punish you in high heels!"

[url]http://i603.photobucket.com/albums/tt111/Xero103/1297051910683.jpg[/url]
~=Gothic Lolita=~
EGF's Herald of Slaanesh

SaltyJoe
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

Postby SaltyJoe » Sat Oct 10, 2009 1:05 am

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

Postby NemZ » Sun Oct 11, 2009 6:06 pm

I tried to find a new niche in the CYOA fad, but apparently there just isn't any interest outside surrealist comedy or romantic teen drama.

Oh well, I can take a hint. [/thread]

Chowwow
Ireul
Ireul

Postby Chowwow » Sun Oct 11, 2009 10:25 pm

NemZ wrote:I tried to find a new niche in the CYOA fad, but apparently there just isn't any interest outside surrealist comedy or romantic teen drama.

Oh well, I can take a hint. [/thread]

Don't say that just yet!

- Get a closer look at the target on your own

Let's see what's up with this...

Great Genius Shinji-Sama
Test Subject
Test Subject

Postby Great Genius Shinji-Sama » Sun Oct 11, 2009 10:27 pm

Im interested. I guess scope out.

SaltyJoe
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

Postby SaltyJoe » Mon Oct 12, 2009 1:24 am

NemZ wrote:I tried to find a new niche in the CYOA fad, but apparently there just isn't any interest outside surrealist comedy or romantic teen drama.

Well, i for one would be interested in something different. I found the concept of exploring Misato's pre-NGE escapades (with an AU tint) to be fascinating. Maybe a nice fanfic could be hammered out of the idea, if the CYOA dies on it's feet?

"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it is too dark to read."

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

Postby NemZ » Mon Oct 12, 2009 8:22 am

Well, okay... I guess I can commit to finishing up this arc at least, and we'll see where things stand after that.

Expect an update here later today.

Dirty Mick
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

Postby Dirty Mick » Mon Oct 12, 2009 8:46 am

I say go check on the informant.

I'm surprised this didn't go off like I expected it to, what with it being one of the more ambitious ones of the lot (not that I'm saying the others are bad, infact most of my posts are in 'em!). Everything post-2I/pre-eva is bound to be interesting to read/write about. Hell, I always thought it sucked they never went any further into this in the series.

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

Postby NemZ » Mon Oct 12, 2009 11:41 pm

To be perfectly clear, the focus of this CYOA is not intended to be pre-series background. This is just a prologue of sorts. Rather, the point of this is to be a darker, more serious look at eva because it's from the perspective of someone in a position of authority and accountability rather than just another teenage victim. How far are you willing to bend your principles to ensure humanity's survival? What will you risk to learn the truth? Faced with no good solutions, will you still pick a bad one or refuse to play the game?

To keep the voting public honest, this has also been set in an alternate universe. The past has drastically changed and with it the geopolitical realities of the situation. The secrets and motivations of those in power have changed. Both names and allegiances of some of the various organizations involved have shifted. There will be both original characters and old characters with new twists. None of the original non-seed angels will be showing up in Japan, or at least not as you know them.

That's the plan, anyway. I fully understand I'm taking a risk here by not just giving you the characters and situations you already love, but that's already being covered a few times over by other CYOA threads. Still, without more audience participation this just isn't going to work.

Now, on with the show...

####################

"Hiroshi, go babysit Hanzo. Make sure he doesn't do anything permanent, but otherwise let him have his fun. Ishida, find yourself a nice perch and keep me covered. I want a closer look."

"And you were worried about me doing something stupid and reckless..." Hiroshi replied. "What are you going to do, knock on neighbor's doors in full gear and tell them you're selling bibles?"

"I just want to see what I can see. Something doesn't feel right here and I won't have the whole team going in blind."

"Oh, but going in alone blind is perfectly reasonable, is it Misato? Weren't you just saying something about-"

"Stow it, Corporal. You have your orders."

The young man bit off whatever reply he almost made, snapped to attention to deliver an overly formal "Yes, Sir," then sauntered off, grumbling.

"You know he's right."

One sideways glance was enough to to prompt a quick, "Fine, fine... I'm just saying." from the grizzled sniper before he stomped on his mostly finished cigarette butt and headed towards what was probably his chosen nest, a pair of long-abandoned storage tanks.

Yes, of course he was right... but then, this whole situation seemed very wrong. What could some old refugee clinic doc possibly have done to justify their involvement? Certainly the mission documentation would be no help, assuming this was even an officially sanctioned hit in the first place.

Well, standing here wasn't getting any answers either. Goggles on, com link up, safety off and satellite feed streaming down. Game time.

You make your way around a few structures before cutting over to the bay, staying low and hugging cover. Crouching behind an abandoned car you stop to take stock of the area.

Between the wind and the morning tide making the ships rattle and bump you can't hear anything particularly interesting. Under the florescent glare of the docklights (noting a dark patch a few ships to the South, apparently a burned out bulb) the floating camp looks rather uninviting. It's a mess, a giant knot, and the top-down view on your left hud doesn't clear things up in the slightest.

"Ichigo, have you got me?" you ask into the throat mike, checking your support.

~ Plain as day... but only because I know where to look. ~

"Okay, where's our mark? I can't tell where one ships stops and the next starts."

~ I'll paint it in UV ~

Switching the goggles to add polarized to the view you immediately see a bright streak overhead, fixed on the bow of a rusted out shitbox just north of your position and three ships deep into the tangle, with a converted barge boxing it in.

"Got it. Any movement?"

~ Yes. I've got a shifting faint light but the source won't peek out the window so far. Pity. ~

:: Aww, guess we have to do it the hard way again, Princess. Boo Hoo. ::

"Anything meaningful to add Hanzo, or are you just trying to earn another scar?"

:: Just below the eye this time, love. ::

+ What he means to say is that our friend shed a little light for us. Apparently he's been part of the camp since 2I, but stopped being available all the time after two years. Took a job with some outfit up the coast, but he comes back about every month or so to offer free treatments. Nobody messes with his place except to scrounge for bandages when he's not around. +

:: I'm thinking guilty conscience. Our boy is up to something dark and sticky in his day job, otherwise he'd have left this place to rot. ::

"Yeah, that fits. You leave the guy in one piece this time?"

+ He did indeed, only cost us a stim. Apparently the doc turned him away today when he came looking for a cheap fix. +

:: Yeah, junkie bastard didn't give me a reason to burn him or nothin'. Lame. ::

~ Update... I just caught a shadow. I believe the target has company. ~

####################

- Sneak in closer on your own (use the darkness, go direct, or hit the water?)
- Call in the others to meet at your location.
- Wait and see if Ishida can get a shot.
- Set up some sort of ruckus to drive the doc from his safehouse.
- (suggestions?)

Return to “Role-Playing Related”