Non-Eva Anime and Manga discussion

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Joseph the PRPD
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Joseph the PRPD » Wed Apr 07, 2010 2:21 pm

Here is a scan of the new series. I can't tell whether or not they went back to the old animation style but the goggles! They are back!

I'm guessing the Digimon in the background there is either the or somehow related to the antagonist.
Cheese wheel in the U.S. Coast Guard.

Guyver Spawn
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby Guyver Spawn » Wed Apr 07, 2010 3:16 pm

The new series reminds me of another show from the 90's that I can remember at the moment. Looks good so far, I hope the characters are decent.
Xbox live gamertag: Guyver Spawn 27
PSN: Hellspawn28

tomrule123
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

•      
  •      

Postby tomrule123 » Sun Apr 11, 2010 2:15 pm

THEY'RE STILL MAKING DIGIMON?! ENOUGH OF THIS. I'M OUT!

Joseph the PRPD
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Joseph the PRPD » Sun Apr 11, 2010 3:16 pm

View Original Posttomrule123 wrote:ENOUGH OF THIS. I'M OUT!

Uh... you already said you didn't like Digimon in the first place. So why're posting in this thread again?
Cheese wheel in the U.S. Coast Guard.

tomrule123
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

•      
  •      

Postby tomrule123 » Sun Apr 11, 2010 6:03 pm

View Original PostJoseph the PRPD wrote:Uh... you already said you didn't like Digimon in the first place. So why're posting in this thread again?

:asuka_miffed: Boy, do you have good memory on what I said (though it's STILL UP THERE!). I just thought that Digimon would've ended a few years ago.

Guyver Spawn
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby Guyver Spawn » Thu Jul 08, 2010 4:01 pm

Here is the intro for the new Digimon anime:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VhIRkSwZ ... r_embedded

Looks decent, and I hope the dub is not too bad.
Xbox live gamertag: Guyver Spawn 27
PSN: Hellspawn28

GasmaskAvenger
Re-Gyption Strut
Re-Gyption Strut

•      
  •      

Postby GasmaskAvenger » Thu Jul 08, 2010 5:04 pm

looks pretty good and a huge step up from the train wreck that is Data Squad
Satsuki Kiryuin wants you to turn that frown upside down...
My AU Evangelion Fanfic | My Street Fighter fanfic
XBOX Live: GasmaskAvenger | PSN: GasmaskAvenger
Official "Grindhouse of Evangelion" Discussion, Updates and Cast Sign Up Thread.

carla
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby carla » Fri Jul 09, 2010 1:16 pm

*FLAIL* INTRO!

will watch when i get home. :thumbsup:
bittersweet ending: episode 24. the angels are gone and mankind is safe... but tokyo-3 has been ruined; Kaji is dead; toji is a cripple; kensuke, hikari, and their families have moved away, taking pen-pen with them; Asuka is catatonic; ritsuko is in prison; Misato is a nervous wreck; Rei is "the third one"; and Shinji is utterly broken psychologically after having to kill the only person who has offered him unconditional love in the course of the whole series. come the movie? don't worry! it gets worse! ~from the source of all wisdom in the world.

kNET | GAW | my graphics | my fanfics | re-deconstruct: the EVA rebuild fanlisting

toe mash
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby toe mash » Fri Jul 09, 2010 1:30 pm

Even when Digimon was airing here and it was a hit, I didn't watch it, so I have never even seen 1 episode of Digimon.

Strangely this is something I'm quite proud of.

DevRei17
Zeruel
Zeruel

•      
  •      

Postby DevRei17 » Fri Jul 09, 2010 6:15 pm

Wait, wait, wait... People still watch Digimon?!
:deadhorse:
Also known as Cowboy Dev.

GasmaskAvenger
Re-Gyption Strut
Re-Gyption Strut

•      
  •      

Postby GasmaskAvenger » Fri Jul 09, 2010 6:39 pm

View Original PostDevRei17 wrote:Wait, wait, wait... People still watch Digimon?!
:deadhorse:

more like "do people still watch Pokemon?", because at least Digimon took a lot longer and was much harder to get stale

and despite the lacking "Frontier" and the misfire known as "Data Squad", this season looks very promising and possibly a return to form
Official "Grindhouse of Evangelion" Discussion, Updates and Cast Sign Up Thread.

DevRei17
Zeruel
Zeruel

•      
  •      

Postby DevRei17 » Sun Nov 07, 2010 3:39 pm

I'll admit it: I was a big fan of season's 1-3. Especially 1. I bring this up because I rewatched episode 21 (the one directed by Mamoru Hosada) and I was reminded of why I used to like it. The character interactions and relations feel more personal than the one's on Pokemon. That episode in particular had a very nice but quiet feel to it. It's the feeling I get when I watch a Miyazaki work, the quiet moments of Evangelion and Gunbuster and Urusei Yatsura 2: Beautiful Dreamer.
But yeah, I have a soft spot for the old Digimon.
Also known as Cowboy Dev.

Teague
Matarael
Matarael

•      
  •      

Postby Teague » Mon Nov 08, 2010 9:59 pm

Ugh...I'm not liking the bulky transformer look they've got going there...
"Don't you touch a hair on that boy's head! Have you no respect? He's mine! Get your own human play-thing, you quartz-brained little creampuff!"- Bernard Black
"Kaji was the most heartbroken and shattered over Kaji's death besides Misato." -AuraTwilight
Self-admitted meme-whore.
Unashamed troper.
O-sensei's House of a Thousand Hearts: Lest We Forget

Great Genius Shinji-Sama
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby Great Genius Shinji-Sama » Mon Nov 29, 2010 6:32 pm

I've not watched any seasons beyond Tamers. But Adventure 01 and 02 and Tamers were my faves. I have a weird fascination with one shot or undeveloped characters like Pantyhose Taro from Ranma, Morph from X-Men, and Willis from the Digimon Movies :tongue: I really enjoyed JesuOtaku's reviews for Digimon and 02. 02 wasn't as good as the first season but was still enjoyable nonetheless.
Avatar: Utena and Anthy hawtness <3
-----------------------------------------------------------
XBOX LIVE GAMERTAG: ShinjiSama01
http://shinjisama.wordpress.com/ - Blog
http://otakuno1.deviantart.com/ - Deviant account

NAveryW
Insect Politician
Insect Politician

•      
  •      

Postby NAveryW » Mon May 28, 2012 9:43 pm

I ignored Digimon entirely back when it had presence in the US, but watched Our War Game shortly after I saw Summer Wars. I didn't understand it very well and remember practically none of it because I was a complete outsider to the mythology, but I generally enjoyed it.

Yesterday I watched the Digimon Adventure pilot movie because I had to assume since Mamoru Hosoda was responsible it had to be at least good. It exceeded my expectations in every regard*. Story, animation, especially surprisingly immersion and believability. This may not be saying much, but it's somehow the most believable kaiju movie I've ever seen.

I was encouraged to continue watching the Digimon Adventure TV series, and I watched the first three episodes subtitled, but so far the show contains none of the elements I loved about the pilot movie. I've seen Digimon praised to extremes for its writing and character development, but so far it seems like a not-particularly-special, talk-down-to-your-audience kodomo anime. Basically, like the Pokémon ripoff I expected before I saw the movie.

Does it get sufficiently better enough to keep watching? Does the writing and character development really improve to the extent that it can be called a truly good series, or is it just really good compared to the myriad other -mon shows of its sort, or perhaps with the aid of childhood nostalgia that I lack entirely due to having avoided the show?

I intend to keep watching at least through Hosoda's episode, in any case. Or maybe just skip to it if I haven't seen noticeable improvement by the end of the first ten episodes.

*Well, except music-- it was fine, but I would have preferred an original score rather than nothing but "Bolero".
"Today?... hmm... today... right... Um... I'm just gonna wing it." -Guess who

GasmaskAvenger
Re-Gyption Strut
Re-Gyption Strut

•      
  •      

Postby GasmaskAvenger » Mon May 28, 2012 11:26 pm

View Original PostNAveryW wrote:Basically, like the Pokémon ripoff I expected before I saw the movie.

eh that's like saying Sleepaway Camp is a Friday the 13th rip off. Similar in superficial means.

View Original PostNAveryW wrote:I intend to keep watching at least through Hosoda's episode, in any case. Or maybe just skip to it if I haven't seen noticeable improvement by the end of the first ten episodes.

As far as I recall, the series doesn't totally pick up until like halfway through, though some individual moments are alright.

Also, Season 3 may be more to your liking if you want a somewhat more mature approach...well as mature as Digimon can get.

View Original PostNAveryW wrote:*Well, except music-- it was fine, but I would have preferred an original score rather than nothing but "Bolero".

I've heard samples of the Japanese soundtrack and I liked how much more guitar ridden it is, though those parts I skimmed through were during one of the strongest arcs of Season 1. Plus honestly I haven't watched Digimon subbed all the way so my viewing experiences are a bit different.

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Tue May 29, 2012 2:18 am

The series that gets all the mention is Digimon Tamers.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Alaska Slim
Frigus Ignoramus
Frigus Ignoramus

Digital Drama B/

•      
  •      

Postby Alaska Slim » Fri Jun 08, 2012 1:15 am

View Original PostNAveryW wrote:Does it get sufficiently better enough to keep watching?

The show was originally only to last 13 episodes, it was made on an advertisement budget.

However, the ratings were better than they expected so they extended the run. Indeed, the show does get better with more character-oriented storytelling.

The real turning point, though there's a few choice Character moments before it, Is episode 21 " Home Away from home"

HUGE jump in animation quality, and it's directed by Mamoru Hosoda personally.

A few things Digimon has that Pokemon does not:

1. Actual Character development

The Digimon cast is not static, they do grow and change overtime, and it's tied directly to the development of their partner's abilities.

2. Actual conflict.

This isn't simply "Charzard's acting up", or "Shoot, we might not get the badge", or "Comic relief villains stole Pikachu again" .

No, I mean actual conflict causing actual loss, with actual implications in the story down the line, which in turn, drives the former point.

3. An actual heart.

Pokemon is a merchandise vehicle, not much else.

Digimon is merchandise vehicle and, it seeks to convey something.

The characters are stand-ins for virtues; Courage, Friendship, Dependability, Hope, Knowledge, Sincerity, Love, etc.

Their Digimon evolve when they first show the virtue instinctively, and their crests activate when they codify that virtue actively.

Each of the characters have a dark moment, when they near give-into their darker instincts, one in particular naively misinterprets what Courage is, and disaster results.

These "darker" concepts were played with further in Season 2, but they didn't fully realize themselves until the 3rd season.

Season 2 by the way is a mess (Two overall directors). Beyond the first arc, I wouldn't watch it, if that.

SPOILER: Show

The first arc is a telling of what if one of their own (The digi-destined) became evil, and thus the power they derived from the crests is misused.

The rest is that character's redemption, interesting, but poorly executed, and overshadowed by other hammfisted elements.

Season 1 is a good stand-alone, worth the watch. Afterwards, I'd head to Season 3 where the franchise hit its zenith.
"Therefore encourage one another and build one another up, just as you are doing." - 1 Thessalonians 5:11

"It is one of the blessings of old friends that you can afford to be stupid with them." -Ralph Waldo Emerson

"God is in his Heaven, and free men walk upon the Earth" - Rev. Robert Sirico, President of the Acton Institute

Asami Sato
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby Asami Sato » Thu Jun 14, 2012 3:06 pm

Awww DIGIMON! :asuka_happy:

I miss this show so much! My childhood is flashing through my eyes as we speak. My favorite season...well, I don't really have any particular favorite when it comes to the first three, because in all honesty, the three first are the best all together. I just love Digimon. I'm a Digi-Fangirl.
Avatar: Princess Azula, the sociopathic badass sexy bitch that will kill you by just glaring at your face.
When I get a boyfriend: "Together, we will be the strongest couple in the world! We will DOMINATE THE EARTH!"
"Zuzu! You don't look so good!"
"I support the shipping of TDSA and Aiko Heiwa." - Defectron

NAveryW
Insect Politician
Insect Politician

•      
  •      

Postby NAveryW » Mon Aug 06, 2012 4:37 pm

I watched through Digimon Adventure subtitled. At first I was unenthusiastic, as the show started off very formulaic, and the enormous volume of characters (fourteen introduced in the first episode!) meant none of them would be able to gain any depth very quickly. I resolved to continue watching at least through Hosoda's episode (21) but kept the show in my watch-when-you're-too-sleepy-to-watch-things-you-have-to-really-pay-attention-to-but-can't-fall-asleep slot.

A few episodes before Hosoda's episode came up, however, I started finding the show more interesting. Around the final face-off against Etemon, I finally decided it was interesting enough to watch when I could give it more attention. Episode 21 still stood out, but the episodes surrounding it suggested good things to come so I moved the show to my watch-while-I'm-eating slot. I wouldn't say the series ever got amazing but I don't regret watching it. The best arc was definitely the Vamdemon (Myotismon) arc and the episodes preceding it involving the children splitting up and reuniting, which were the ones that convinced me that the show had really gotten better. I think it was a matter of everything improving a little: the stories weren't as formulaic, the characters were a little more human, the animation was slightly less clunky (but still very clunky), the pathos felt a little more real. The show got more formulaic again during the Dark Masters arc ("Aw, man, [X] showed up. That's a shame, I wanted [X] to live.") but by that time I couldn't really pull out.

Overall the quality was very inconsistent, but as far as children's shows go it does a pretty good job of holding up. My biggest criticism, assuming I take the low rent animation as a given, is that the only big villains who had real personality were Etemon and Pinocchimon (Puppetmon). The rest had little variation beyond the "Bwa ha ha ha ha, I'm evil, I'ma kill the children and take over," motive. Even Apocalymon, despite having more of a motive, didn't have much personality outside of being evil, so the fight felt sort of anticlimactic, but the resolution with the children returning to the real world was suitably affecting.

Children's War Game, after having seen the series, is amazing. Even if the whole 54 episode show had been like the File Island arc I would have probably been glad I'd stuck with it to cap it off with CWG. The way the movie treated the stock transformation sequence and the ensuing insert song was brilliant. It's definitely the sort of movie you get more out of when you're familiar with the show's characters and conventions.

Before I watched Digimon Adventure I had intended to eventually watch and possibly review Digimon: The Movie, but Hosoda's movies were so outstanding that if the The Movie movie is really anywhere near as bad as the critics thought, I'd probably end up being too upset to enjoy its campiness. I am curious as to what Western Digimon fans saw in a theater, but I have a lot of reverence for the Digimon Adventure movies and seeing them eviscerated doesn't sound fun.

I'll probably leave the Digimon franchise behind for now, but I intend to eventually watch Digimon Tamers at some point after I get around to watching Serial Experiments Lain.
"Today?... hmm... today... right... Um... I'm just gonna wing it." -Guess who

Return to “Anime and Manga”