Non-Eva Anime and Manga discussion

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

chaosakita
Leliel
Leliel

•      
  •      

Postby chaosakita » Tue Nov 06, 2012 10:13 pm

View Original PostXard wrote:No, I just think the question itself is stupid and to some degree unanswerable. In different ways they were targeting very different audiences and it's not like Anno was working with singular motivations anyway. Saying "Eva was for kids" is just as wrong as saying it wasn't aimed at them at all.

If anything Anno wanted to create new Gundam and/or new Yamato which had large appeal in very large range of demographics.

Maybe I phrased what I said wrongly. I think that despite its dark subject matter, Anno did intend for kids to be major part of the audience and that the network originally aimed the show to be for kids too. It is something akin to Star Wars, I guess. What I wanted to emphasize was that the audience between Digimon and Evangelion isn't as great as it might seem, kind of like the difference between Star Wars and Disney.

But wow your response was super condescending.
Avatar: Shinji and Kaworu get ice cream

Gus Hanson
Authentic Wizard
Authentic Wizard

•      
  •      

Postby Gus Hanson » Thu Nov 08, 2012 10:38 am

I really liked seasons 1 and 2 and back when Fox Family had it's morning Made in Japan block, i would wake up early and watch the latest episodes. Though some of the puns were weak, the voices stuck out well. I was bummed that the Digimon movie wasn't shown in Puerto Rico.

NAveryW
Insect Politician
Insect Politician

•      
  •      

Postby NAveryW » Thu Nov 08, 2012 1:21 pm

How good are Hulu's subs for Tamers? I've been told their subs for 02 are not.
"Today?... hmm... today... right... Um... I'm just gonna wing it." -Guess who

Alaska Slim
Frigus Ignoramus
Frigus Ignoramus

Sub quality. BP

•      
  •      

Postby Alaska Slim » Sun Nov 11, 2012 4:20 am

^Positroncannon didn't seem very ecstatic about them. I watched a bit of the first episode myself, and I already found two grammatical errors.

For subs, Wild Bunch for the first 15, and Positroncannon & card for the rest are your best bet.

EDIT: The hell... So apparently, this happened. Myotismon mega form was made a bitch by an armor digivolution? There's just no scale to this.
"Therefore encourage one another and build one another up, just as you are doing." - 1 Thessalonians 5:11

"It is one of the blessings of old friends that you can afford to be stupid with them." -Ralph Waldo Emerson

"God is in his Heaven, and free men walk upon the Earth" - Rev. Robert Sirico, President of the Acton Institute

classified-zerogoki
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby classified-zerogoki » Thu Nov 15, 2012 5:34 pm

"CHAAANGE! EVA TRAIN! SWITCH ON!"
-Asuka, After The End Audio Drama
Evangelion is Serious Business.
Kaworu x Asuka OTP!

Alaska Slim
Frigus Ignoramus
Frigus Ignoramus

If only... B/

•      
  •      

Postby Alaska Slim » Wed Apr 29, 2015 2:25 am

Digimon tri. Anime's Human Cast, Promo, Broadcast Details Unveiling on May 6

... I don't quite understand it, I was pretty "meh" when I first heard about this series' existence, but after seeing this image my excitement just hit the roof... even if Joe and Mimi do look weird as hell. And dear lord Sora, your hair. :cringe:

Apparently, the original OP and ED singers are making a return for this. Not that it matters much for me, I watched the series dubbed.

Speaking of which, it would be kickass if the dub (whenever that happens) does a Tamers-esce re-hash of the main theme, but given that the music rights are owned separately from the licensing now, not very likely.

EDIT:

Oh wait, Saban is back in the game now, so, maybe? They're still busy airing the second season of Xros Wars tho'. Will probably have to wait for them to get past season three before they approach this.
"Therefore encourage one another and build one another up, just as you are doing." - 1 Thessalonians 5:11

"It is one of the blessings of old friends that you can afford to be stupid with them." -Ralph Waldo Emerson

"God is in his Heaven, and free men walk upon the Earth" - Rev. Robert Sirico, President of the Acton Institute

Alaska Slim
Frigus Ignoramus
Frigus Ignoramus

Cast call! BD

•      
  •      

Postby Alaska Slim » Sat May 02, 2015 1:38 am

Old Post Nov 16, 2012  SPOILER: Show
^Well, I look forward to their Tamers release. Right now, the only ones you can get are those sub-standard pirate copies.

EDIT: DvDs are now available for all seasons, post moot

Just found out that Joshau Seth, whose been retired for several years, is interested in reprising his role as Tai (HUZZAH!)

Now I just hope the same can be said for Michael Lindsay. Joe's put-upon-everyman just wouldn't be the same without him.

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

Re: If only... B/

•      
  •      

Postby Ray » Mon May 04, 2015 1:57 pm

It looks like they were redesigned by Mamoru Hosada, which makes sense since he did contribute extensively to the original series and the first movie 'our war game' which was published in America in the anthology movie Digimon the movie.

Also. Digimon's Back! Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay! :leekspin: and no Data Squad does NOT count!

Sadly, if they do dub it Tai's English voice actor (Joshua Seth) likely will not make a return. Since he retired from voice acting to pursue a career as a professional hypnotist. Though I could see Funimation reaching out to some of the old Voice Actors to reprise their roles.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1jrsBSEmndk

EDIT:
Actually he said he'd be interested in reprising the role. But he'd have to find time in his schedule to fit in his hypnosis magic show into his schedule and he can't see that happening if he's stuck behind the mike doing Voice acting for 3/4ths of his time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8C6VYxIhqcQ

El Squibbonator
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

Re: Evangelimon is right. BD

•      
  •      

Postby El Squibbonator » Tue May 05, 2015 1:43 pm

View Original PostAlaska Slim wrote:"Evangelimon"

Hey, watch it! That's what my Pokemon/Eva fusion-fic is called! There's a link to it in my signature if you want to read it.

TBH, I never got into Digimon as a kid. I was exposed early and often to the belief that it was an inferior Pokemon copy. Even though I know that isn't the case, I've still never really been able to get past my "prejudices."
Which is a shame, because, with the potential exception of the Generation V games (looking at you, Ghetsis), the Pokemon franchise hasn't produced any work as dark or as deconstructive of its own premise as I've heard Digimon Tamers is.
Life can seem a challenge. Life can seem impossible. It's never easy when so much is on the line.

Do you like Eva? Do you like Pokemon? Then check out Neon Genesis Evangelemon-- You Can (Not) Catch 'Em All thread/16052/Neon-Genesis-Evangelemon/

Alaska Slim
Frigus Ignoramus
Frigus Ignoramus

•      
  •      

Postby Alaska Slim » Tue May 05, 2015 3:19 pm

View Original PostEl Squibbonator wrote:Hey, watch it! That's what my Pokemon/Eva fusion-fic is called!

But I said that two years before you wrote it.... so, dibs. :devil:

TBH, I never got into Digimon as a kid. I was exposed early and often to the belief that it was an inferior Pokemon copy.

BLASPHEMY! BURN HERETIC! :flamethrower:

the Pokemon franchise hasn't produced any work as dark or as deconstructive of its own premise as I've heard Digimon Tamers is.

Tamers isn't just a deconstruction though, it also attempts to put its premise back together. A re-construction, for lack of a better term.

Like Superman vs The Elite, Tamers was intended to be a small victory over cynicism; trying to wish well to kids as they emerged into the new millennium, despite all the ills they might encounter.

This, coming from the guy who wrote Serial Experiments Lain.

El Squibbonator
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

•      
  •      

Postby El Squibbonator » Tue May 05, 2015 5:55 pm

View Original PostAlaska Slim wrote:But I said that two years before you wrote it.... so, dibs. :devil:

But I got the idea without knowing you had it, so double-dibs! :devil: Also, relax. I said I now know that Digimon is a legitimate series with its own unique merits. It's just that it as a child I didn't enjoy it because I was one of those kids who was too busy obsessing over whether Charizard could beat Greymon in a fight (spoiler:
SPOILER: Show
he totally can
).
Life can seem a challenge. Life can seem impossible. It's never easy when so much is on the line.

Do you like Eva? Do you like Pokemon? Then check out Neon Genesis Evangelemon-- You Can (Not) Catch 'Em All thread/16052/Neon-Genesis-Evangelemon/

Tankred
Anime Ja Nai
Anime Ja Nai

•      
  •      

Postby Tankred » Tue May 05, 2015 6:07 pm

View Original PostEl Squibbonator wrote:
he totally can

I had enough fun dealing with you guys in primary school so please don't reignite the fun.

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Ray » Tue May 05, 2015 6:17 pm

Tankred wrote:

I had enough fun dealing with you guys in primary school so please don't reignite the fun.

I know that feeling man. I know that feeling.
Last edited by Ray on Tue May 05, 2015 7:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Alaska Slim
Frigus Ignoramus
Frigus Ignoramus

•      
  •      

Postby Alaska Slim » Tue May 05, 2015 11:38 pm

View Original PostEl Squibbonator wrote:But I got the idea without knowing you had it, so double-dibs! :devil:

Dibs works on the principle on who first called it. Doesn't matter if you knew, what matters is that--DIBS!

Also, relax. I said I now know that Digimon is a legitimate series

Yeah, I know. I just enjoy saying that because, Warhammer.

If it's all the same, the first time I saw Pokémon I turned it off because I thought it was boring, and related it's colorful pallet to Rainbow Bright.

In the end, this didn't keep me from watching halfway through Johto, with a few episodes of Advanced Battle here and there, and nearly every movie.

with its own unique merits. It's just that it as a child I didn't enjoy it because I was one of those kids who was too busy obsessing over whether Charizard could beat Greymon in a fight (spoiler:
he totally can
).

Charizard's like... tiny. I'm taller than he is (wholly f*** you can look that up on google?!?!), and I'm not even 6 foot. Why not pick on something his own size, like... Monochromon, or Flymon, or even Guilmon?

El Squibbonator
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

•      
  •      

Postby El Squibbonator » Tue May 05, 2015 11:50 pm

I don't want to derail this thread, but PokeDex sizes are bullshit. Seriously--Butterfree weighs 70 pounds? Roselia is only a foot tall? I tend to think of Pokemon as being as big as they look like they should be, not as big as the PokeDex actually says they are.

Anyway, if the new Digimon season gets dubbed, what network will it air on here in the states? The first three seasons were on Fox Kids, Frontier and Data Squad were on ABC Family/Toon Disney/Disney XD, and now Fusion is on Nickelodeon/Nicktoons.

BTW, will you read my fanfic? I'll rename if if you want me too.
Last edited by El Squibbonator on Sat May 09, 2015 1:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Alaska Slim
Frigus Ignoramus
Frigus Ignoramus

It sadly seems to be someone else. B/

•      
  •      

Postby Alaska Slim » Wed May 06, 2015 12:15 am

View Original PostRay wrote:It looks like they were redesigned by Mamoru Hosada

I'm not seeing anything that points to that. The listed character designer is someone named Atsuya Uki. If the name seems unfamiliar, this seems to be only their 2nd outing for character designs.

Their first credit is a series I've never heard of called tsuritama, but just by looking at it's own characters you can pick out the similarities between them and the revamped digi-destined.

EDIT: For reference, the original Character Designer was Katsuyoshi Nakatsuru, who seems to be best known for his work on Dragonball Z, its films, and GT.

Alaska Slim
Frigus Ignoramus
Frigus Ignoramus

DIGIMON.... 6 months from now... BP

•      
  •      

Postby Alaska Slim » Wed May 06, 2015 11:01 am

Okay, it's here:

Video shows Greymon fighting Kwagomon, and Omnimon fighting what I'm assuming is some sort of Dark DNA jogress evolution.

Tai has his goggles back. I assume Davis got bored of them?

Release date is set for November 21. And it's no longer a TV series, rather, it's going to be a 6-part Theatrical release...

I'd be lying if I said my enthusiasm wasn't somewhat curbed by this.

The Date Aug. 1 2015 appears on the site, but I'm assuming this is just marking the anniversary.

Rosenakahara
Evangelion
Evangelion

Re: If only... B/

•      
  •      

Postby Rosenakahara » Wed May 06, 2015 11:16 am

View Original PostRay wrote:no Data Squad does NOT count!

Well i don't think anyone will argue about this, i will say however savers (the sub) is much, MUCH better and masaru is basically kamina there which is awesome.
"She had better march back here and try again! I only send people off on my terms! ...Or in a casket."
I don't need a scabbard to sheathe my mind
What is going on is a concerted effort from anti-progressives to silence anyone who disagrees with them.-Bagheera 2016
The Twelve Kingdoms discussion thread

Alaska Slim
Frigus Ignoramus
Frigus Ignoramus

Credit, but... B/

•      
  •      

Postby Alaska Slim » Wed May 06, 2015 11:43 pm

^Uh, so are we just ignoring that Fusion (which came after DS) even exists?

I admired it for returning the classic animation style, if nothing else. Can't really credit it for the franchise meet-up episode as the characters from the other series felt pretty hollow.

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Ray » Fri May 08, 2015 5:02 pm

I'm not seeing anything that points to that. The listed character designer is someone named Atsuya Uki. If the name seems unfamiliar, this seems to be only their 2nd outing for character designs

I guess it's the art style combined with the Layout of the poster that reminded me of Summer Wars.

I still think the style seems very reminiscent of Hosada. I say that because it seems extremely simplistic, even for the typical anime style which prides itself on it being simple. Simplistic to the point of it being sketchy at points. Rewatch the episode of the original series 'Home Away From Home' you'll understand what I'm getting at.

http://digimon.wikia.com/wiki/Home_Away_From_Home

Also, I'll be sure to check out Tsuritama and give my thoughts on that on another thread.

EDIT:
First Promo On Youtube.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CN9xpqG1giY

Return to “Anime and Manga”