Debate the quality of Rebuild here. [2]

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
BlueBasilisk
Bridge Bunny
Bridge Bunny

Re: Debate the quality of Rebuild here. [2]

•      
  •      

Postby BlueBasilisk » Thu Apr 12, 2018 12:19 pm

View Original Postkuribo-04 wrote:When Rebuild is complete, I'm sure many people will look back differently on 3.0 with the last film giving closure.
I personally never had an issue with 3.0 though.
I think I insta-gave up on making sense of a lot of things of the plot.
And I think all the juicy stuff is on a more symbolic level in the film as well.

There was quite a bit of backlash over 2.0 when it came out for having 'generic anime shit,' but 3.0 changed some of those opinions. There was also a lot of arguing over N3I was supposed to be viewed and what kind of fallout it would have.
Someday I hope that we'll be reunited if that is what's destined to be. Perhaps we'll discover that elusive bible. And then we will finally be free!

TheFriskyIan
Lord Hamburger
Lord Hamburger

•      
  •      

Postby TheFriskyIan » Thu Apr 12, 2018 6:31 pm

With the years going by, and having gone through a variety of life experiences, I find myself much more sympathetic to Q than I originally was when viewing it for the first time. While the plot holes and poor decisions made by the characters still force me to make a face mixed with disappointment and confusion, the story it's telling with Shinji and his emotional/mental well being is far more important and shines through all the nitpicky flaws in the film. I rewatched the movie about three weeks ago when I was probably at the lowest point in my life so far and I never had such a mind-blowing time watching a movie I had watched to death a good 30+ times in the past five years.
Please just call me Ian, "TheFrisky" is more of a title.

"Knowledge seeks no Man."

DarkBluePhoenix
Pilot
Pilot
Location: Somewhere between the light in my heart and the darkness in my soul

•      
  •      

Postby DarkBluePhoenix » Thu Apr 12, 2018 7:53 pm

I think everyone will have a change of opinion on the films once FINAL comes out. With any luck, FINAL will clear up a few thing and give us more clarity on the overall series.
Avatar - Heero Yuy, pilot of Wing Gundam Zero. If you want to read my NGE fanfic go to my profile here - DarkBluePhoenix on FanFiction.net or DarkBluePhoenix on AO3

Voted in college to be Most likely to Take Over the World, how to do that however, will require at least Four Evangelions. Thanks for the idea Misato-san!
"Now I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds." Said at the beginning of the nuclear age by J. Robert Oppenheimer.
"That which does not kill us makes us stronger." Words of Wisdom from German Philosopher Friedrich Nietzsche.

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Wed Jun 27, 2018 9:15 am

Didn't want to start a new thread.

Just wanted to throw it out that as of today - June 27, 2018 - we E-Geeks in one way or another have been debating the quality of Evangelion 2.0: You Can (Not) Advance for exactly nine years.

DarkBluePhoenix
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby DarkBluePhoenix » Wed Jun 27, 2018 9:18 am

^ One would think it's much longer than that, considering the wait for Final continues. Then again, time is relative I suppose... :emogendo:
Avatar - Heero Yuy, pilot of Wing Gundam Zero. If you want to read my NGE fanfic go to my profile here - DarkBluePhoenix on FanFiction.net or DarkBluePhoenix on AO3

Voted in college to be Most likely to Take Over the World, how to do that however, will require at least Four Evangelions. Thanks for the idea Misato-san!
"Now I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds." Said at the beginning of the nuclear age by J. Robert Oppenheimer.
"That which does not kill us makes us stronger." Words of Wisdom from German Philosopher Friedrich Nietzsche.

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Wed Jun 27, 2018 9:29 am

Sure, one could argue people have been debating these movies since they were originally announced in August or September 2006 (can't remember which) but at least starting today - June 27 - back in 2009 we got the first concrete hints/news of what occurs in the 2nd movie & what the movie is about. It was also around this time people began realizing (and many lost their minds never to be recovered) that Asuka was not going to be the second lead protagonist in Rebuild.

Just a silly way to say the movie is 9 years old today.

kuribo-04
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby kuribo-04 » Wed Jun 27, 2018 9:43 am

and many lost their minds never to be recovered

Lovecraftian horror at its finest.
Well, the last film could still aim a giant one movie spotlight on her.
And she'll always be the star of the show in her own way. She's certainly still an interesting character.

@Frisky: Hope you're feeling better.
Shinji: "Sooner or later I'll be betrayed... And they'll leave me. Still... I want to meet them again, because I believe my feelings at that time were real."
Ryuko: "I'm gonna knock ya on your asses!"
-Asuka: THINK IN GERMAN!!! -Shinji: Öh... Baumkuchen...
Hayashida: "As game developers, our work is special. All of us here can put smiles on very many people's faces with our work."
~('.'~) (~'.')~ Dancin Kirby

SEELE-01
Marduk Selectee
Marduk Selectee

•      
  •      

Postby SEELE-01 » Thu Jun 28, 2018 1:47 pm

View Original Postkuribo-04 wrote:Lovecraftian horror at its finest.

Nah, just regular Evangelion after episode 22...
Visit my Eva-figures Youtube channel!

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Thu Jun 28, 2018 10:38 pm

View Original PostGendo'sPapa wrote:It was also around this time people began realizing (and many lost their minds never to be recovered) that Asuka was not going to be the second lead protagonist in Rebuild.

That's the best summary of most of this thread.

Joseki
Marduk Selectee
Marduk Selectee

•      
  •      

Postby Joseki » Fri Jun 29, 2018 5:59 am

View Original PostGendo'sPapa wrote:Sure, one could argue people have been debating these movies since they were originally announced in August or September 2006 (can't remember which) but at least starting today - June 27 - back in 2009 we got the first concrete hints/news of what occurs in the 2nd movie & what the movie is about. It was also around this time people began realizing (and many lost their minds never to be recovered) that Asuka was not going to be the second lead protagonist in Rebuild.

Just a silly way to say the movie is 9 years old today.

I still think that Anno got Rei and Kaworu "out of the way" first to concentrate on Asuka at the end. The end of 3.0 is a great set up for Asuka's character, but probably yes the overall story will still have Shinji as the only MC, and there's nothing wrong with that.

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Fri Jun 29, 2018 9:13 am

I figure Asuka will probably have her biggest role in the Rebuild franchise in FINAL.
But, I think based on the trajectory of the narrative of the narrative and what has been set up dramatically in the past three films the central leads of Final are going to be Shinji, Rei (both versions) & Misato. Rei & Misato are the two characters Shinj had the most emotional connections built up with in the first two films and those are also the two characters he most likely needs to reconnect with after the trauma of 3.0.
Misato needs to commiserate about how she feels guilt for what Shinji's life has become due to her flaws in guidance starting in 1.0.
And then he'll reconnect with Classic Rei when he steps back into the Eva.
Rei Q is the mystery for me....

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Fri Jun 29, 2018 11:24 am

So, that settles the Waifu Wars then? Asuka is apparently the best one? Since Eva fans can seemingly stomach the show with Rei constantly being sidelined as a character, but as soon as Asuka is equally sidelined in the movies then everyone lashes out and rejects the series, then I’d say we have a Waifu Winner.

DarkBluePhoenix
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby DarkBluePhoenix » Fri Jun 29, 2018 11:33 am

MFW sometime says "Waifu Wars Winner"
SPOILER: Show

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Fri Jun 29, 2018 12:04 pm

Asuka is pleased by this win.
:asuka_happy:
Last edited by FreakyFilmFan4ever on Fri Jun 29, 2018 12:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Joseki
Marduk Selectee
Marduk Selectee

•      
  •      

Postby Joseki » Fri Jun 29, 2018 12:05 pm

View Original PostGendo'sPapa wrote:I figure Asuka will probably have her biggest role in the Rebuild franchise in FINAL.
But, I think based on the trajectory of the narrative of the narrative and what has been set up dramatically in the past three films the central leads of Final are going to be Shinji, Rei (both versions) & Misato. Rei & Misato are the two characters Shinj had the most emotional connections built up with in the first two films and those are also the two characters he most likely needs to reconnect with after the trauma of 3.0.
Misato needs to commiserate about how she feels guilt for what Shinji's life has become due to her flaws in guidance starting in 1.0.

Mari set up the "MC saves the girl" quite literally in 3.0, so I would still bet on Asuka (and her eye) playing a huge role in Shinji's arc at the end.
I do agree on Misato and Rei II having have their payoff in the final movie, but based on the set up it's probably going to be a final goodbye with both.
Yui too wil probably say something to Shinji and say goodbye.
Rei Q I guess would just learn to be someone that isn't Rei, that would make sense considering that "Rei" is just a tentative name. Maybe she'll pick up her own name or something.

Mari will probably do this

SEELE-01
Marduk Selectee
Marduk Selectee

•      
  •      

Postby SEELE-01 » Fri Jun 29, 2018 12:06 pm

View Original PostFreakyFilmFan4ever wrote:So, that settles the Waifu Wars then? Asuka is apparently the best one? Since Eva fans can seemingly stomach the show with Rei constantly being sidelined as a character, but as soon as Asuka is equally sidelined in the movies then everyone lashes out and rejects the series, then I’d say we have a Waifu Winner.

Even though in the end Asuka was nowhere near as important for the overall plot as Rei was?

ArtyumR
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby ArtyumR » Fri Jun 29, 2018 3:55 pm

View Original PostGendo'sPapa wrote:I figure Asuka will probably have her biggest role in the Rebuild franchise in FINAL.

I'm almost certain that Anno did not want this, but he has turned Rei Ayanami into a Four Murasame 2.0, or even into the "lalah sune" of Shinji , in some way that he could not have foreseen (or maybe yes, Ship taste :cringe: :cringe: )
* Lalah sune was the romantic interest of Char Aznable (also of amuro ray), being this a replacement of the mother of char, granting her a place of peace and tranquility, lalah sune also has the rare powers and the whole spiritual roll.
Basically, when improvising the plot of the films, it has ended with a configuration in which the characters that have been "important" have been reduced.
just kaworu, Rei, Misato, gendo ;Leaving aside most of the shinji-asuka dynamics (hard to recover in 3.0 + 1.0) , S / A depended on a stormy relationship, with sexual subtext.Shinji in a state of depression or apathy does not allow this (that and that is the last movie)
* could make a more conventional love relationship but I do not see a reason to do that, except to please the fans (making everything feel like a fanfic, I'm not sure that some are aware of this)

SEELE-01
Marduk Selectee
Marduk Selectee

•      
  •      

Postby SEELE-01 » Fri Jun 29, 2018 4:12 pm

View Original PostArtyumR wrote:Basically, when improvising the plot of the films

This sums up the main issue with Rebuild... Anno did not have a clear idea of what he wanted to do from the beginning and halfway through, he decided to change everything... Don't take me wrong, I like Rebuild a lot, but its messy production story has not helped at all...

DarkBluePhoenix
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby DarkBluePhoenix » Fri Jun 29, 2018 4:21 pm

^ That and he's apparently more interested in drinking beer instead of working on the movie... :rolleyes:

ArtyumR wrote:I'm almost certain that Anno did not want this, but he has turned Rei Ayanami into a Four Murasame 2.0, or even into the "lalah sune" of Shinji , in some way that he could not have foreseen (or maybe yes, Ship taste :cringe: :cringe: )

So in your analogy, if Rei is Lalah, then is Shinji Char or Amuro? And would Gendo be the other person involved in that odd triangle?

ArtyumR
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby ArtyumR » Fri Jun 29, 2018 4:41 pm

View Original PostDarkBluePhoenix wrote:^ That and he's apparently more interested in drinking beer instead of working on the movie... :rolleyes:

So in your analogy, if Rei is Lalah, then is Shinji Char or Amuro? And would Gendo be the other person involved in that odd triangle?

char has an oedipal complex. according to tomino's words
"I felt that a dictator, would need to have some kind of unconditional love
the kind a mother gives you. "
Miguel Nanai also plays the role of a mother.
I understand that Anno also worked in char's counterAttack.

PDTA: I'm making an analogy. Shinji does not have the personality of char and Rei does not assume the role of "loving interest". (or that's what I think)

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”