[CYOA]the Mystery Club files

General Role-Playing and collective works.

Moderator: Board Staff

Eric Blair
Alberto del Rio
Alberto del Rio

[CYOA]the Mystery Club files

•      
  •      

Postby Eric Blair » Tue Sep 15, 2009 4:09 pm

While the other CYOA's are indeed amusing, funny quirky and more established, me and EternallyLostZeppo have decided to start our own in the original manner of the CYOA; this is a mystery/adventure where the reader (You) gets to choose their own path; sometimes you will get a choice, or two of five, sometimes it will be up to you to chose what to do. You will have access to resources to aid you in your investigation, and if you play this right, might even end with a new skills apart from those you already have.

One other important thing; there will be penalties if you chose wrong, be it by design, stupidty of just for lulz. The character you chose has stats and points which will become available once you have decided who to play with; Keep that in mind.

The voting is simple; there is no minimum/maximum amount of votage needed to make one choice stick; the voting period will compromise roughly 24 hours; that basically means that from the moment when there is a post you will all have 24 hours to make a choice and post it, there can be no double voting, and there can be no "I chose X, then Y, then Z" voting unless stated; such votes will be ineligible.

Now, onto the story.

----- -----
It was approaching sundown when Kaito arrived in the street where the old mansion was located. His phone went off, and he frowned as he recognised the caller ID. Nonetheless, he sighed, and then flipped open the phone to answer it, "Yamada?"

"Where are you?" Idane-sempai demanded, with the same impatient tone she often seemed to use when addressing him, which made Kaito roll his eyes. He considered lying to her to alleviate her concerns, but decided that would only get him in more trouble later on.

"I'm just on my way to my house." Technically, not a lie as this place was in between the school grounds and the train station.

"Ya-Ma-Da..." Idane said, elongating the syllables that made Kaito's last name as if it were a warning.

"What? I-it's not like I'm going on my own to investigate something." Kaito said with a slight nervous smile, like he always did whenever Idane was grilling him to adhere to club rules, which only resulted in Kimie's low growl, making it painfully obvious to Kaito she was onto him, and was demanding him to come clean in a silent, but most effective way. "Ok, fine, I'm on my way to investigate one of the sites I told you about."

"You know the rules, Yamada-kun. No Mystery Club member is to actively pursue an investigation without at least one other club member present."

"Then I won't actively pursue it, I'll just have a look at the place from the outside. No harm in that, right?"

"And what could you possibly hope to learn by doing that?" Idane's frown was audible across the phone line, as Kaito ducked into some cover, noticing a pizza delivery van parked outside the building. He thought it strange that the pizza delivery van was parked directly in front of a mansion which by all accounts nobody lived in at present. Not only that, but that a group of five shaven-headed men in robes were leaving the building and heading towards the van.

"I'll get back to you on that. Sorry, gotta go." Kaito hung up, narrowing his eyes at the strange entourage. His curiousity getting the better of him, he started making his way towards the van as all but one of the group got in the back and shut the doors, the fifth climbing into the driver's side. He strode over to the passenger door and knocked on the window, noting with relief that the passenger seat was empty and he would be outside the driver's reach if things got nasty. The driver, in full pizza delivery uniform, rolled down the window with his master control and looked at Kaito blandly. Kaito noted the discarded robe lying on the passenger seat, and a tattoo on the man's arm he couldn't quite see fully.

"Yeah? What do you want, kid?" The driver asked in a decidedly unfriendly manner.

"Actually, I was just wondering what you were doing out here?"

"Delivering pizza." The man responded levelly, as if it should have been obvious.

"Really? To who? That house there?" Kaito thumbed in the direction of the mansion. The man simply stared at him coldly, and Kaito smirked at the fact the man had no response to that, carefully hiding the fact that he was unnerved by the man's demeanor. Maybe he should have just taken the plate number of the van and called the police, but it was a bit late now, and he wanted answers. "Because, you know, nobody has lived in that house in at least a year."

The man smirked at him then, and looked over his shoulder, "This one will do. Don't you think?"

Kaito blinked, realising too late the danger as he began to turn, "Oh shi--"

He felt a pinch at his back, and then his nerves were all on fire as the taser sent its charge through his body.
His eyes rolled back into his head and he slipped into unconsciousness, the robed man who had appeared behind him grabbing him under the arms as he slumped backwards into him.

"Prep him. Quickly." The man called through to the back, and the doors flew open as the other four robed men poured out and carried Kaito into the back of the van. There they took bandages and quickly but methodically, as if they had practiced hundreds of times before, they wrapped him from head to toe like the mummies of ancient Egypt.

The sun was beginning to disappear over the horizon as the men brought out Kaito's mummified form and marched towards the mansion with him. The driver, clearly the leader, and the man who had stunned Kaito, moved ahead of them to open the doors to the mansion and bowed, signing a seal in the air as the procession marched past them into the house.

They carried him up the stairs and into one of the rooms on the upper floor, lowering him carefully to the floor and making a quick prayer as the light of the sun bled out of the room rapidly.

With their task done, they hurried down the stairs towards the front doors again. One of the men at the back tripped and fell, reaching out a hand for someone to help him up, but the other continued marching onwards out of the mansion.
The man hurried towards the doors as the leader and the other man stepped back, looking at the horizon as the sun disappeared entirely from view, and its light was withdrawn.

As night fell, the doors slammed shut of their own accord, trapping the straggler inside the house. He banged on the doors desperately to be let out, but his pleas were ignored by his fellows, as they marched back towards the van and drove off.

The man stopped banging on the door as voice reached his ears, carried there by a mysterious wind, "Ichi...Ichi..."

Ichi turned around, surprised at the voice, and calling back, "Tomoe-chan?"

"Ichi..." The voice drifted down from the upper floor, and Ichi ascended the stairs, following it up to one of the rooms there. He opened the door, and light from within bathed his face. What he saw lit his face with joy, and he stepped inside. The door slammed itself shut behind him.

--

The morning had started quite typical for you, you had woken up, gone to school, and gone through the motions of paying attention to what Nebukawa Sensei was talking about life before the Second Impact.

Not like you really pay attention at all, but appearances have to be mantained.

But it was after school that everything began to go in a different way than what you had in mind.

It's a Tuesday, so that meant today was going to be one of those Mystery Club meetings, which meant, worst case scenario, having to sit through another one of Idane's ramblings about how "There are a lot of mysteries out there and we haven't got one" or just sit on the room that was assigned to the club and look up old folk tales in the school laptop.

You entered the room and noticed there was no one inside, making you frown as you check your cell phone for the time, confirming it's after classes.

Just then Idane shows up carrying a stack of folders, and looking as close to distress as she will ever look.

"Idane-san!? what's wrong?"

"I-it's Kaito." Idane says after a brief pause, as if she were trying to come to terms with what she's about to say, and come to think of it, you don't remember seeing Kaito at your classroom today.

Just as she's about to continue, you hear the door to the club opening, frowning as you see...

---

Choose your investigator:

1) Asuka Langley Soryu; Lovable redhead who is a bitch when it counts, but might be more tsundere-ish than other people allow themselves to believe; in this particular situation she's neither; however she has chosen to become a part of the Tokyo-3 middle school's Mystery club because of her friend Kimie Idane's insistence, and also to keep both baka-Shinji and baka-Kaito out of trouble.

2) Shinji Ikari: while he may not be as tough as Asuka, or as eloquent, or even as manly, Shinji still can hold his own... provided Asuka is around to protect him... or Rei or Misato or Hikari or Toji or K-- look, the point of the matter is Shinji can be helpful in some situations, and has chosen to be a part of the mystery club at the insistence of Kaito Yamada, hoping this place would provide him with a safe heaven from a certain abrasive, loud and sometimes obnoxious (if rather cute) redhead.

----- -----
Voting will end tomorrow Sep 16, 2009 at 4:09 pm
Last edited by Eric Blair on Wed Sep 16, 2009 7:40 pm, edited 3 times in total.
In this time of Rebuild, I'm proud to be one of the few fans of the original NGE, and one of the last proud fans of Asuka Langley Soryu.
Avatar: A fighting boy meets girl on a one night stand, walking into the blue, ending day by day as they dance in a very merry Christmas, continuing on my own as a burning one man force while you come and make my day approaching in the nick of time and always, stand by me.

Great Genius Shinji-Sama
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby Great Genius Shinji-Sama » Tue Sep 15, 2009 4:19 pm

Question: Is it just Asuka and Shinji, or can we have our own character? Forgive me if I sound stupid, but just what exactly are we voting for in this? Im kinda slow sometimes. :blush:
Avatar: Utena and Anthy hawtness <3
-----------------------------------------------------------
XBOX LIVE GAMERTAG: ShinjiSama01
http://shinjisama.wordpress.com/ - Blog
http://otakuno1.deviantart.com/ - Deviant account

Eric Blair
Alberto del Rio
Alberto del Rio

•      
  •      

Postby Eric Blair » Tue Sep 15, 2009 4:20 pm

it's just Asuka or Shinji, and currently you are voting to see who will be the "main character" here; think of this as a "select your character" screen.
In this time of Rebuild, I'm proud to be one of the few fans of the original NGE, and one of the last proud fans of Asuka Langley Soryu.
Avatar: A fighting boy meets girl on a one night stand, walking into the blue, ending day by day as they dance in a very merry Christmas, continuing on my own as a burning one man force while you come and make my day approaching in the nick of time and always, stand by me.

Great Genius Shinji-Sama
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby Great Genius Shinji-Sama » Tue Sep 15, 2009 4:22 pm

Ok. I pick Shinjikun. BTW, will other cahracters, i.e.: extracanonicals like Mana, mayumi or Mari and the such be present sooner or later?
http://shinjisama.wordpress.com/ - Blog
http://otakuno1.deviantart.com/ - Deviant account

Eric Blair
Alberto del Rio
Alberto del Rio

•      
  •      

Postby Eric Blair » Tue Sep 15, 2009 4:27 pm

To early to tell, also if this goes just as planned, this will not be the only Mystery Club file.
Last edited by Eric Blair on Tue Sep 15, 2009 5:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kaname Langley
Asuka's Cousin
Asuka's Cousin

•      
  •      

Postby Kaname Langley » Tue Sep 15, 2009 4:29 pm

Asuka You know how much i love her :boingy:
Only losers consider the possibility of defeat without even trying.

Sammaeloo
Bridge Bunny
Bridge Bunny

•      
  •      

Postby Sammaeloo » Tue Sep 15, 2009 4:31 pm

Inspector Shinji.

Also I like the idea of Kensuke and Toji being a good cop-bad cop team.
Seize the day.....by the throat....
I hate mcdonalds because their mascot is a creepy spooky clown who looks like he smells funny. Seriously every time I see ronald I think he's secretly some sort of rapist who turns people into hamburgers. Also their food sucks. -Defectron
Our plumbing is messed up and my dad will not call anybody because he's a cheap asshole. Fuck you old man, fucking call someone. Some of us want to stay sanitary. -backseatjesus

esselfortium
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby esselfortium » Tue Sep 15, 2009 5:26 pm

Asuka. Somehow I just have difficulty seeing the Shinji we know as a very confident investigator-of-spooky-happenings, though I wouldn't want to see him get written out of the story entirely even if we're not controlling him. Will the other character who doesn't get picked still appear in the story as a relevant non-player character?

Eric Blair
Alberto del Rio
Alberto del Rio

•      
  •      

Postby Eric Blair » Tue Sep 15, 2009 5:31 pm

Yes; the only difference is on their stats and how easier this investigation will be for either character; the one who isn't picked will be an NPc type of character (like all the other ones) who can, if your stats allows it, help you in a certain way.

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Tue Sep 15, 2009 5:47 pm

I give Shinji the nod as well, hoping he can find some of that David Duchovny charm along the way.

...but no Rei? :(
Rest In Peace ~ 1978 - 2017
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf
"I think internet message boards and the like are dangerous." - Anno

Eric Blair
Alberto del Rio
Alberto del Rio

•      
  •      

Postby Eric Blair » Tue Sep 15, 2009 6:00 pm

I doubt Rei will ever be swayed to form part of an after school club, Ikari-kun or no Ikari-kun.

She could be this universe's own Marita Covarrubias, specially if you consider her (covarrubia's) relationship with Krychek (or Kaworu).

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Tue Sep 15, 2009 6:05 pm

To be perfectly honest, I'd be suprised if any of the pilots were permitted to join afterschool clubs at all. The way I see it, Rei wouldn't be part of the club, but rather it might form around her as she is the biggest mystery around. ^_^

Okay, I'm done heckling.
Rest In Peace ~ 1978 - 2017
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf
"I think internet message boards and the like are dangerous." - Anno

Themaninblack
Potential Pilot
Potential Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Themaninblack » Tue Sep 15, 2009 6:10 pm

Inspector Shinji.
I won.

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Tue Sep 15, 2009 11:58 pm

So is the "you" some random anon club member? Anyway, since Rei's not around, I'll say Shinji. He's more cautious than Aka-chan for tense situations, which can be helpful.

And yay for RP thread spin-off! :boingy:
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

Kaname Langley
Asuka's Cousin
Asuka's Cousin

•      
  •      

Postby Kaname Langley » Wed Sep 16, 2009 12:27 am

Sailor Star Dust wrote:So is the "you" some random anon club member? Anyway, since Rei's not around, I'll say Shinji. He's more cautious than Aka-chan for tense situations, which can be helpful.

And yay for RP thread spin-off! :boingy:

Wuaaa You Traitor!
Only losers consider the possibility of defeat without even trying.

GoatMan
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

•      
  •      

Postby GoatMan » Wed Sep 16, 2009 1:14 am

You mean we can't hire Rooster Cogburn? But we need someone with grit!

Because, gentlemen, that's when school really begins! (please tell me you know the references)

I vote for Asuka, as she needs some chances to redeem herself.

Eric Blair
Alberto del Rio
Alberto del Rio

•      
  •      

Postby Eric Blair » Wed Sep 16, 2009 5:10 pm

Winning by 4 Votes, the main character here will be Shinji. This means Eternally Lost Zeppo will be the one writing the story; as a side note, Asuka's stats simply mean that while she might be a little bit more "brash" she was better in over all Attack/Defense, as well as "getting information actively", as opposed to Shinji's "getting information passively".

To get Asuka to help you (Shinji) you will need a better number (with bonus stacks) than her own bonus.

For those interested, this is Asuka's stats page.

----- -----

Just as she's about to continue, you hear the door to the club opening, frowning as you see Asuka entering the room, frowning at you; something tells you she's not happy about being here either, however you also know that she is good friends with Idane.

"Asuka, thanks for coming."

"No problem, did something happen?" The redhead answers as she sits on the chair next to you, while Kimie pulls out a couple of folders.

"Yamada went yesterday to investigate one of those houses we have been getting reports from, the haunted one." Idane-sempai says as she pauses, letting the information sink in.

"D-did something happened to Kaito?" You ask, the first word coming out from your mouth in what seems to be an eternity, making Asuka and Idane turn to look at you, the first one with mild annoyance, the second one with a guarded look.

"I told that idiot countless times that if he's doing Mystery Club business, he needs to make sure to be with another member; right now I need one of you to help me do some research on this matter, before we go and look for him." Idane says before turning to Asuka, smiling at her. "Asuka-chan would you mind coming with me to the file room? I still have some other things I need to bring in here first.

Asuka nods and they both get up, leaving you before you let out a sight and look around you. Just as you are about to get up from the chair, however, Asuka pops back in, growling.

"You better not go on your own, idiot! I don't want to have to be saving you butt too!"

With that, she's gone and you can't do anything else by frown a little, before looking around the small room, admiring the sparse items here; a laptop connected to the school mainframe is the only thing that catches your attention.

What do you want to do?

A) Sit and wait for Asuka and Kimie to come.

B) Go out on your own to look for Kaito.

----- -----
Voting will end tomorrow, Sep 17 at 5:10 pm
Last edited by Eric Blair on Wed Sep 16, 2009 7:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Sammaeloo
Bridge Bunny
Bridge Bunny

•      
  •      

Postby Sammaeloo » Wed Sep 16, 2009 6:07 pm

Go look for Kaito.
Seize the day.....by the throat....
I hate mcdonalds because their mascot is a creepy spooky clown who looks like he smells funny. Seriously every time I see ronald I think he's secretly some sort of rapist who turns people into hamburgers. Also their food sucks. -Defectron
Our plumbing is messed up and my dad will not call anybody because he's a cheap asshole. Fuck you old man, fucking call someone. Some of us want to stay sanitary. -backseatjesus

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Wed Sep 16, 2009 6:17 pm

So you're supposed to be Shinji right now then?

Wait for Asuka and Kimie to come, there's safety in numbers afterall.
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

Great Genius Shinji-Sama
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby Great Genius Shinji-Sama » Wed Sep 16, 2009 6:43 pm

wait for teh Asuka-sama. :asuka_thumbsup: