Video Gamers are 35, overweight, and depressed

Discussions about non-Evangelion related video games, board games, card games and gaming in general.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Joseph the PRPD
Elder God
Elder God

[Video Games] Video Gamers are 35, overweight, and depressed

•      
  •      

Postby Joseph the PRPD » Thu Sep 03, 2009 11:42 am

A "study" that was done. Pffffffft.

So if I make a study of people in my immediate vicinity I guess it'll be true. :irked:
Last edited by Joseph the PRPD on Thu Sep 03, 2009 11:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cheese wheel in the U.S. Coast Guard.

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey » Thu Sep 03, 2009 11:46 am

I'm 26, skinny, and fairly well adjusted.

Guess I'm not a gamer.

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Thu Sep 03, 2009 11:55 am

I'm 22, look anorexic (even though I eat everything in sight), and don't play a whole lot of games often. But that's not to say I don't sit around as often as gamers. I just watch movies instead, or just sit around in front of a computer doing nothing.

Holy Diver
Armisael
Armisael

•      
  •      

Postby Holy Diver » Thu Sep 03, 2009 11:57 am

Yes, I play video games everyday, I'm 17 years old, I work out everyday, and I'm just sooooooooo depressed. I must be a gamer too.

A big FFFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUU to the Center for Disease Control and Prevention. In stead of helping to cure AIDS or cancer, you study stupid crap like this.

(Okay, I actually am depressed, but thats because of an existential crisis and morons like these, not my video game usage)
Deus Io Vult! (God wills it!)
"Get your ass in gear!" Asuka

"Catdog has an S2 engine in his stomach. He does not need to eat, and whatever he does eat is reacted with antimatter to provide endless energy." Ruthlessly stolen from anon.

CorporalChaos
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby CorporalChaos » Thu Sep 03, 2009 1:20 pm

Hmmm...I wonder how long it's going to be before there's a massive media circus followed public uproar over video games causing poor health.

That's how it always starts, some study by a major institute on a small portion of society, which is then reported to death in the media causing an uproar (overreported, of course) which becomes some cause celebre for a politician.

I'm in despair! This world which can get so worked up over little things has left me in despair!
Occam's Razor: The simplest explanation is generally the correct one.
Essel's Corollary: The simplest explanation is never the fanon one.

backseatjesus
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby backseatjesus » Thu Sep 03, 2009 1:21 pm

Such bullshit. I'm 17, slightly overweight and beyond depressed.

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Ornette » Thu Sep 03, 2009 5:56 pm

I'm 35. I guess they got that part right. My hair is a little overweight. I'm a raging alcoholic, maybe that's kind of like a depression.

Eva Yojimbo
Redbeard
Redbeard

•      
  •      

Postby Eva Yojimbo » Thu Sep 03, 2009 6:28 pm

I didn't get overweight until I stopped playing video games, then when I started playing them again I lost the weight...
Cinelogue & Forced Perspective Cinema
^ Writing as Jonathan Henderson ^
We're all adrift on the stormy seas of Evangelion, desperately trying to gather what flotsam can be snatched from the gale into a somewhat seaworthy interpretation so that we can at last reach the shores of reason and respite. - ObsessiveMathsFreak
Jimbo has posted enough to be considered greater than or equal to everyone, and or synonymous with the concept of 'everyone'. - Muggy
I've seen so many changeful years, / to Earth I am a stranger grown: / I wander in the ways of men, / alike unknowing and unknown: / Unheard, unpitied, unrelieved, / I bear alone my load of care; / For silent, low, on beds of dust, / Lie all that would my sorrows share. - Robert Burns' Lament for James

Sammaeloo
Bridge Bunny
Bridge Bunny

•      
  •      

Postby Sammaeloo » Thu Sep 03, 2009 6:35 pm

I'm 19, normal weight, and 6'1". I play video games too. Whoever did this study must have done a lot of cherrypicking.
Seize the day.....by the throat....
I hate mcdonalds because their mascot is a creepy spooky clown who looks like he smells funny. Seriously every time I see ronald I think he's secretly some sort of rapist who turns people into hamburgers. Also their food sucks. -Defectron
Our plumbing is messed up and my dad will not call anybody because he's a cheap asshole. Fuck you old man, fucking call someone. Some of us want to stay sanitary. -backseatjesus

Tokpile Quohog
Marquis Tokpile de Boîtes
Marquis Tokpile de Boîtes

•      
  •      

Postby Tokpile Quohog » Thu Sep 03, 2009 6:42 pm

Wow, its like that article is talking about me.
TheEvaMonkey: I HATE BEING A FAT CHICK

oOoOoOo
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby oOoOoOo » Thu Sep 03, 2009 7:43 pm

They're right about the introversion thing, eh boys? ^_~

But games make me happy! When I'm depressed I play games like Shadow of the Colossus (trust me, it works somehow) and Legend of Mana (watercolour storybook) and Super Mario 3 (coincoincoincoincoin). ^_^_^_^_^

You can also play games with a friend, and it helps you lose weight and stay happy! See, the boy plays drums on "Rock Band" and the girl sits on his lap (boys can try tooo~) and sings! Pants optional. Perfect. ^_^ Ladies, you might notice some vibrato.

There should be mandatory "videogame appreciation" classes in school, just like for visual art and music and drama, that way they could work towards changing the demographic. ^_^
~ O-chan is soooo 2D right now.

Merridian
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Merridian » Thu Sep 03, 2009 10:06 pm

oOoOoOo wrote:When I'm depressed I play games like Shadow of the Colossus (trust me, it works somehow) and Legend of Mana (watercolour storybook) and Super Mario 3 (coincoincoincoincoin).

Whenever I'm feeling glum I jack up the custom soundtracks and blast shit on Gears of War 2. I don't really play it to win anymore; I just like turning things into unrecognizable mires of blood and guts. I've found that Rob Dougan, Mouth of the Architect, and John Coltrane make for some of the best head-busting music. Cal Tjader's Soul Sauce makes it an interesting experience also. And all techno.
I can see how this could be dangerous, but it's only for an hour or two every few days. I barely play the thing when my friend isn't over to play co-op anyhow. This feels like a sorry attempt at self-justification, but oh well.
@ Article/Topic: I'm wondering if this is anything like the High Fidelity quandary--do gamers play games because they're depressed and/or introverted, or are gamers depressed and/or introverted because they play games? The article's leaning more to the former, but it isn't like there aren't countless commentators and studies out trying to link games to violent tendencies... I dunno, without seeing the study itself, it's pretty hard to say anything about its validity.

Teague
Matarael
Matarael

•      
  •      

Postby Teague » Thu Sep 03, 2009 10:10 pm

Well, according to DeathClock I won't live to see 35 so YAY that will never be me. :thumbsup:
"Don't you touch a hair on that boy's head! Have you no respect? He's mine! Get your own human play-thing, you quartz-brained little creampuff!"- Bernard Black
"Kaji was the most heartbroken and shattered over Kaji's death besides Misato." -AuraTwilight
Self-admitted meme-whore.
Unashamed troper.
O-sensei's House of a Thousand Hearts: Lest We Forget

Captain_Morgan
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby Captain_Morgan » Thu Sep 03, 2009 10:21 pm

Huh...typically if I'm in a bad mood, I'll try to go for a run.

Playing many rounds of COD4 tends to put me in a rather bad mood because of how many people use the glitches, noob tubes, grenade spamming, etc.

So, while I am currently not in great shape right now, video games are slowly making me fit...indirectly I suppose.

As for depression, well, I'm cheerfully apathetic, and go out drinking and having fun with friends.

Something tells me these researchers are full of it.

Sachi
Oh Daddy!
Oh Daddy!

•      
  •      

Postby Sachi » Thu Sep 03, 2009 10:34 pm

I'm 16, underweight and my depression is of a result of me being 16. I like video games, and play them quite often. Do I fall into the stereotype? Not really.
- Sachi

I host the discord server for the EvaGeeks forums. Join us! https://discord.gg/aBQ3F6M9yp

Guyver Spawn
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby Guyver Spawn » Thu Sep 03, 2009 11:27 pm

I'm 18, my weight is just fine and I never do get the time to play video games since I'm busy during the week.
Xbox live gamertag: Guyver Spawn 27
PSN: Hellspawn28

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Thu Sep 03, 2009 11:34 pm

Sammaeloo wrote:I'm 19, normal weight, and 6'1". I play video games too. Whoever did this study must have done a lot of cherrypicking.

This study concludes that all depressed, 35-year-old video gamers are all depressed, 35-year-old video gamers.

Yup. :thumbsup:

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Fri Sep 04, 2009 1:50 am

The 35-year-old bit has to do with when the technology really got widespread. Space Invaders was about contemporary with the start of my time at university -- and when those guys who are 35 now were being born.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Evangelion__x
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby Evangelion__x » Fri Sep 04, 2009 2:32 am

lol.

Just.. lol.

master_lloyd
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

•      
  •      

Postby master_lloyd » Fri Sep 04, 2009 4:38 am

35? No.
Depressed? No.
Overweight? Well, I could do with getting into shape. Which I'll be doing using my new PS2 Dance mat!

So in fact video games are solving my problems! :grin:
Neon Genesis Evangelion (from the Greek Ευανγελιον, meaning "Gigantic robots piloted by mentally ill children")
Eva Facts:
-Gendo's final silenced line to Ritsuko was "I'm going to shoot you now."
-Nagisa Kaworu kills a kitten every time you masturbate.
-Kaji's first and last name was Kaji

Return to “Video Games and Gaming”