Anno Hideaki's Evangelion: Interview with Azuma Hiroki

For talking about all other entries in the Evangelion franchise: from the various manga and video games to merchandising and various video/audio releases.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
LiLi
Marduk Selectee
Marduk Selectee

Anno Hideaki's Evangelion: Interview with Azuma Hiroki

•      
  •      

Postby LiLi » Sat Aug 29, 2009 8:26 am

First time creating a topic, I hope I'm doing this right... :blush:

I found this article:

TOWARDS A CARTOGRAPHY OF Japanese ANIME
Anno Hideaki's Evangelion Interview with Azuma Hiroki

by Krystian Woznicki
for BLIMP Filmmagazine

http://www.nettime.org/Lists-Archives/nettime-l-9802/msg00101.html

I thought it was worth sharing, at least for the interview part. In particular, because it also addresses certain topics that came up in other threads on this forum such as Rei Ayanami's apartment and the relation between Eva/Anno and Aum. I also think the references to Japanese culture and society provide an interesting lens through which to look at Director Anno's work.
"People need more stfu in their diets." (NemZ)
"It was brainf@rt at first sight." [LiLi on Romance, II]

AVATAR - CUPCAKE CAT, SHOPPED BY NemZ

Holy Diver
Armisael
Armisael

•      
  •      

Postby Holy Diver » Sat Aug 29, 2009 11:11 am

When I first read about Aum Shinrikyo in a book about terrorism a year ago, I noticed a similarity between Eva and Aum beliefs. I never knew until now that there was a relation between the two. Very interesting.
Deus Io Vult! (God wills it!)
"Get your ass in gear!" Asuka

"Catdog has an S2 engine in his stomach. He does not need to eat, and whatever he does eat is reacted with antimatter to provide endless energy." Ruthlessly stolen from anon.

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Sat Aug 29, 2009 11:27 am

I think I read this before but it's a good read eitherway. Thanks!
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

Eva Yojimbo
Redbeard
Redbeard

•      
  •      

Postby Eva Yojimbo » Sat Aug 29, 2009 11:28 am

Yeah, I also read this a while ago. Azuma wrote that great "Anime or Something Like it" article and, IIRC, that has a lot of the same content.
Cinelogue & Forced Perspective Cinema
^ Writing as Jonathan Henderson ^
We're all adrift on the stormy seas of Evangelion, desperately trying to gather what flotsam can be snatched from the gale into a somewhat seaworthy interpretation so that we can at last reach the shores of reason and respite. - ObsessiveMathsFreak
Jimbo has posted enough to be considered greater than or equal to everyone, and or synonymous with the concept of 'everyone'. - Muggy
I've seen so many changeful years, / to Earth I am a stranger grown: / I wander in the ways of men, / alike unknowing and unknown: / Unheard, unpitied, unrelieved, / I bear alone my load of care; / For silent, low, on beds of dust, / Lie all that would my sorrows share. - Robert Burns' Lament for James

Sharaz Destler
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby Sharaz Destler » Sat Aug 29, 2009 2:56 pm

Holy Diver wrote:When I first read about Aum Shinrikyo in a book about terrorism a year ago, I noticed a similarity between Eva and Aum beliefs. I never knew until now that there was a relation between the two. Very interesting.

*ahem* I've brought this up several times during my fairly short time on this forum. It's not entirely a matter of coincidence, based on things I've read about Aum Shinrikyo. Apparently its leader, and possibly a few of its members, were huge otaku, and thier doctrine was influenced by (I think it was) Space Battleship Yamato. More specifically, I remember reading that they borrowed a lot of SBY's technobabble for their doctrine and mission statement...or something like that.

EDIT: I may have a pretty good recipe for some sauce. First up, I have:
[list=][url]http://repository.upenn.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1012&context=curej[/url] What appears to be an article on the subject written at Pennsylvania State University[/list]
[list=]That book I keep mentioning but no-one seems to be doing anything about, the Takashi Murakami-edited volume Little Boy: The Art of Japan's Exploding Subculture.[/list]
"To the rational mind, nothing is inexplicable...only unexplained."--The Doctor, "Doctor Who".

Xard
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Xard » Sun Aug 30, 2009 1:47 pm

Eva Yojimbo wrote:Yeah, I also read this a while ago. Azuma wrote that great "Anime or Something Like it" article and, IIRC, that has a lot of the same content.

I was the one who gave you link to this article :)

Curses you! Now you've uncovered one of my "secret sources" of eva information - well I still have couple of them most if not all here are unaware of ;P;P;P;P;P

Aum Shinrinkyo's influence on Eva is interesting subject and well worth of larger analysis. Which I hope to do someday. I guess. I think.

Thanks for the link SD!

LiLi
Marduk Selectee
Marduk Selectee

•      
  •      

Postby LiLi » Sun Aug 30, 2009 2:20 pm

^ I SCOWL at your greediness Xard! :tongue:

:geezer:

Eva Yojimbo
Redbeard
Redbeard

•      
  •      

Postby Eva Yojimbo » Sun Aug 30, 2009 2:49 pm

Xard wrote:I was the one who gave you link to this article
Actually, I realized I'd found it before you gave it to me since it was also posted here. I just didn't recognize it at first and I hadn't been on there in a long time.
We're all adrift on the stormy seas of Evangelion, desperately trying to gather what flotsam can be snatched from the gale into a somewhat seaworthy interpretation so that we can at last reach the shores of reason and respite. - ObsessiveMathsFreak
Jimbo has posted enough to be considered greater than or equal to everyone, and or synonymous with the concept of 'everyone'. - Muggy
I've seen so many changeful years, / to Earth I am a stranger grown: / I wander in the ways of men, / alike unknowing and unknown: / Unheard, unpitied, unrelieved, / I bear alone my load of care; / For silent, low, on beds of dust, / Lie all that would my sorrows share. - Robert Burns' Lament for James

Xard
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Xard » Mon Aug 31, 2009 12:22 pm

LiLi wrote:^ I SCOWL at your greediness Xard! :tongue:

I just found something entirely new - BBC interview of Anno about Love&Pop

nnya nnya nnyaa :nyao:

Eva Yojimbo wrote:
Actually, I realized I'd found it before you gave it to me since it was also posted here. I just didn't recognize it at first and I hadn't been on there in a long time.

ahh, okay then

You have a leaky memory do you? :lol:

LiLi
Marduk Selectee
Marduk Selectee

•      
  •      

Postby LiLi » Mon Aug 31, 2009 12:30 pm

Xard wrote:
LiLi wrote:^ I SCOWL at your greediness Xard! :tongue:

You just wait Xard... YOU JUST WAIT! :geezer:

Xard wrote:
Eva Yojimbo wrote:

ahh, okay then

You have a leaky memory do you? :lol:

I SCOWL at both of you, greedy boys. Since you didn't share your candies with the other children, I declare both your claims to be void! :geezer:
Last edited by LiLi on Mon Aug 31, 2009 12:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.

sean_sean_sean_sean
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby sean_sean_sean_sean » Mon Aug 31, 2009 12:34 pm

I found it... I found it!

Jonathan Ross and everything ^_^

LiLi
Marduk Selectee
Marduk Selectee

•      
  •      

Postby LiLi » Mon Aug 31, 2009 12:39 pm

^Actually, the BBC interview sounds familiar... I wonder if I have already seen it somewhere... :think:

Anyway: any thoughts on the article above, anyone?

Eva Yojimbo
Redbeard
Redbeard

•      
  •      

Postby Eva Yojimbo » Mon Aug 31, 2009 1:50 pm

Xard wrote:You have a leaky memory do you?
I had bookmarked that site and read a bit of it right after I got into NGE so, yeah, it was all a bit blurry. When you gave me that link it took me a while to realize where I'd read it before. -o-;

LiLi wrote:I SCOWL at both of you, greedy boys. Since you didn't share your candies with the other children, I declare both your claims to be void! :geezer:
Hehe, well if I had posted that link it would've been 2.5 years ago! ;)

Xard
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Xard » Mon Aug 31, 2009 1:59 pm

sean_sean_sean_sean wrote:

I found it... I found it!

Jonathan Ross and everything ^_^

You sure... is it...
SPOILER: Show

japanorama?

Jimbo, you'd love what I "figured out" about L&P though :)

Eva Yojimbo
Redbeard
Redbeard

•      
  •      

Postby Eva Yojimbo » Mon Aug 31, 2009 2:05 pm

What did smarty-pants Xardy-poo figure out?

Xard
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Xard » Mon Aug 31, 2009 2:15 pm

Eva Yojimbo wrote:What did smarty-pants Xardy-poo figure out?

:(

not TELLING YOU!

after that :'(

anyway, it touched upon the strange ultraexperimental formalism: you've wondered a lot about how it and content could possibly mesh together, remember?

Eva Yojimbo
Redbeard
Redbeard

•      
  •      

Postby Eva Yojimbo » Mon Aug 31, 2009 3:40 pm

Xard wrote:not TELLING YOU! after that :'(
Can't take a bit of teasing? You know I love you (In a totally straight and manly way, of course).

Xard wrote:anyway, it touched upon the strange ultraexperimental formalism: you've wondered a lot about how it and content could possibly mesh together, remember?
Do tell.

Xard
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Xard » Mon Aug 31, 2009 4:39 pm

Eva Yojimbo wrote:(In a totally straight and manly way, of course)

Now you hurt me even more, you told me it was deeper than that! ;_;

Eva Yojimbo wrote:
Xard wrote:anyway, it touched upon the strange ultraexperimental formalism: you've wondered a lot about how it and content could possibly mesh together, remember?
Do tell.

It wasn't very elaborate as it was only small part of interview, but basically it "acknowledged" the Godardian "Third Aesthetic" (Godard wasn't mentioned and of course that word wasn't used). It also mentioned the very Annolike experimentation for experimentation's sake too. Anno often took the "how could this utterly mundane scene be made interesting via form" route: the one he has used ever since Gunbuster actually.

b2"Godard":

Movie's form is build like that precisely to make the contents even more disgusting. It was pretty blatantly obvious when Anno elaborated on his camera schemes and wacky angles when he put the camera on his scrotch area and then we had clips from L&P utilizing such angles mixed in.

If you think about it the "leery" camerawork is in fact far more prominent in first half, before shit starts to hit the fan: this leery camerawork & often nauseating swirl of it is there precisely to provide contrast to contents featuring "everyday life of normal schoolgirls".

Combinations of this disturbing and nauseating (let's admit it: everyone who sees first 30 minutes or so for the first time gets a bit dizzy in the head :lol: ) form with build-in contrast to actual contents articulates L&P's themes and is also case of foreshadowing of movie's latter happenings. The wild, dizzy cameraruns physically nauseate the viewer to heighten L&P's impact.

Rest of camerawork that's wacky goes under categories

a) to make film more interesting (for example the micro owen shot is certainly memorable and many feet shots are just part of Anno's style to rhyme scenes etc.)

b) it mimics the so called "girls shooting" - way teenage girls took pics of themselves during the day (I guess we actually see this happening in scene with Debussy playing). For example I suspect some of the really intrusive camera *thrusts* close to their faces when they are e.g eating are supposed to mimic this style of "extreme photography".

c) the camera "stalks" girls in their every day life, giving the film cinema verite & documentary feel - note how when girls are walking in the street camera often keeps going on for a moment after girls have left the frame. This forces focus on camera itself which is overall very lively and draws lots of attention to itself.

I guess this "drawing attention" is also part of Anno's metafictional/self-referential cinema style: NGE of course is in very own class but for example in KK Anno delibarately brings in storyboards sometimes and in ep 16 the "repeated action" is cleverly given far more nyances by with each repeat act of animation process is deconstructed further. And then of course there's live action footage during end credits & preview section consists of seyuus or va's reading their characters lines, showing the "behind the scenes" workings instead of animation for next ep.

In Love&Pop there's also that "dreamworld"/Warehouse which is all metafiction through and through.

In Shiki Jitsu camera's space is often invaded violently (& it gets stared at in Ozulike manner to shoot scenes for example) and couple of times Anno fools us into thinking footage we see is The Director shooting the girl - which is revealed to be false as Director enters the screen with his own video camera then.

And then of course there's the whole movie within movie, mixing up HD camera footage & usual film footage etc. in SJ...

lol rambling

I'm going to watch L&P again tomorrow to "investigate further". But indeed it looks like we underestimated Anno with that film by declaring him "wacky" :lol:

Xard
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Xard » Wed Sep 02, 2009 2:28 pm

no commentsu?

Eva Yojimbo
Redbeard
Redbeard

•      
  •      

Postby Eva Yojimbo » Wed Sep 02, 2009 8:20 pm

Oops! I lost track of this thread. I'll read and get back to you soon. I've got a lot going on right now and I'm online for a few minutes. :XP:

Edit: Well, I read it... Hmmm... :chinscratch: It's quite interesting. The disorienting (I think that was the word you were looking for) camerawork is certainly one of the most outstanding features and it definitely makes sense that it provides such a contrast with the "normality" of these girls' lives. I might have more substance to add later.

BTW, I tested the Shiki-Jitsu DVD and it works fine. It doesn't have *the best* picture quality, but with my awesomesauce DVD player I can tweak the image to make it quite a bit better and cut down on some of the grain and visual noise. I should be able to watch it soon (I also have those 3 Mizoguchi films).

Return to “Everything Else Evangelion”