[TV] Craig Ferguson (And Other Late Night Talk Shows...)

A subforum for discussions about Film, TV, and Videos.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Eva Yojimbo
Redbeard
Redbeard

[TV] Craig Ferguson (And Other Late Night Talk Shows...)

•      
  •      

Postby Eva Yojimbo » Wed Aug 19, 2009 2:24 pm

I used to watch Leno & Conan religiously, but Craig stole me away from Conan a bit (I consider Conan my wife and Craig my mistress). I especially think Craig is some kind of mad comic genius; I haven't seen many shows on TV period that can make me laugh till I cry as consistently as he can. I think what makes him so good is that he just doesn't give a crap; he can do a standard pop culture monologue one night and the next night it will be on Scottish Poetry or Salvidor Dali or even something serious, one night he'll do a random improv intro and another night he'll do dancing/singing/yodeling puppets (MUST see, btw). I could watch his email segments for hours (they are strangely addicting) and I was in tears the night he broke the camera and the night he found out the studio roof leaked...

Any fans?

EDIT: Compilation of Yodeling clips
Last edited by Eva Yojimbo on Wed Aug 19, 2009 2:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cinelogue & Forced Perspective Cinema
^ Writing as Jonathan Henderson ^
We're all adrift on the stormy seas of Evangelion, desperately trying to gather what flotsam can be snatched from the gale into a somewhat seaworthy interpretation so that we can at last reach the shores of reason and respite. - ObsessiveMathsFreak
Jimbo has posted enough to be considered greater than or equal to everyone, and or synonymous with the concept of 'everyone'. - Muggy
I've seen so many changeful years, / to Earth I am a stranger grown: / I wander in the ways of men, / alike unknowing and unknown: / Unheard, unpitied, unrelieved, / I bear alone my load of care; / For silent, low, on beds of dust, / Lie all that would my sorrows share. - Robert Burns' Lament for James

Bomby von Bombsville
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby Bomby von Bombsville » Wed Aug 19, 2009 2:33 pm

I also like Craig Ferguson. Scottish accents make everything funnier. I particularly enjoy when he does the "Rather Late Programme with Prince Charles."

It's nice not to have to choose between him and Conan anymore, though I don't really watch late night TV (or any TV, for that matter) on a regular enough basis, for it to have made that major of an impact on my life.

Eva Yojimbo
Redbeard
Redbeard

•      
  •      

Postby Eva Yojimbo » Wed Aug 19, 2009 2:34 pm

I also don't watch them regularly anymore (I seem to go through cycles), but I always enjoy it when I tune in; it's rare for Craig to have an off night.
We're all adrift on the stormy seas of Evangelion, desperately trying to gather what flotsam can be snatched from the gale into a somewhat seaworthy interpretation so that we can at last reach the shores of reason and respite. - ObsessiveMathsFreak
Jimbo has posted enough to be considered greater than or equal to everyone, and or synonymous with the concept of 'everyone'. - Muggy
I've seen so many changeful years, / to Earth I am a stranger grown: / I wander in the ways of men, / alike unknowing and unknown: / Unheard, unpitied, unrelieved, / I bear alone my load of care; / For silent, low, on beds of dust, / Lie all that would my sorrows share. - Robert Burns' Lament for James

Combs
Matarael
Matarael

•      
  •      

Postby Combs » Wed Aug 19, 2009 4:58 pm

Craig Ferguson and Conan O'brian > Any other talk show host! But every one of Craig Ferguson's segments is hilarious! especially when he channels aquaman.
Proud founder, and sole member of A.I.D.S
"Can you bond with someone, over a television show? ...neuuugh?" -Craig Ferguson
"her BREASTS are like THE MAJOR'S from GHOAST In the MACHINE, She is like a person with CYBORG RADIATOR BREATSTS that do not WORK unless EXPOSED or in TIGHT CLOTHING or else the EXPELLED HEAT managed to SET THINGS ON FIRE" -chee, on misogyny

THE Hal E. Burton 9000
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby THE Hal E. Burton 9000 » Wed Aug 19, 2009 5:33 pm

I have not watched any of them with any regularity for a few years now

sometimes they're very funny though but they all are not IMO good enough to watch everytime they're (same goes for Stewart and Colbert, my apologies)

I am, however, very curious to see whether or not Leno's new deal will suck or be serviceable
- TEH Fabulous Hal E. Burton 9000

P.S. For those wanting to discuss a matter with yours truly not pertaining to the general topic at hand, PM me. Please and thank you.

VoidEater
Matarael
Matarael

•      
  •      

Postby VoidEater » Wed Aug 19, 2009 7:24 pm

Craig's show is brilliant. He's great live. First saw him in Red Dwarf.
"I would like to see a clown remake of 'Terms of Endearment' or 'The Thorn Birds.' Or maybe a big disaster movie, like 'Towering Inferno.' That's stuff I'd pay to see. Nothing says entertainment more than burning clowns."

Evangelionfreak
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby Evangelionfreak » Wed Aug 19, 2009 9:16 pm

Craig and Conan are the best
sorry but Jimmy Fallon and Dave Lettermen arent funny at all. They just lagh at their own unfunny jokes.
I don't care for Eva-elitists. I don't know everything, and neither do you.

"I'm real tempted to say Kaworu and Evangelionfreak" Rahaquiel-2DIS
"Is that why they call you EvangelionFreak?" DatDude
"I will never understand you, Evangelionfreak. Never ever." Faußtin
"-Shinji is all alone, but Kaworu walks up to him and says, "So it's only us now.". End. YOU[girls]WISH. I'm looking at you, Evangelionfreak."Rahaquiel-2DIS
"Well, that still leaves Evangelionfreak straighter to me. Phew." Reichu

Xeroko
Forum Maid
Forum Maid

•      
  •      

Postby Xeroko » Wed Aug 19, 2009 9:43 pm

I don't regularly watch these shows, but I've seen Conan live a few times in New York and thoroughly enjoyed myself along with the numerous clips my friend has shown me.
Clocks and Maids
Don't believe in yourself, believe in the maid who believes in you! <3
The Ewan McGregor and Jaime Lannister Fangirl of EGF
My cakes will pierce the heavens!
Maidly Quote: "I'll punish you in high heels!"

[url]http://i603.photobucket.com/albums/tt111/Xero103/1297051910683.jpg[/url]
~=Gothic Lolita=~
EGF's Herald of Slaanesh

Eva Yojimbo
Redbeard
Redbeard

•      
  •      

Postby Eva Yojimbo » Wed Aug 19, 2009 11:51 pm

Evangelionfreak wrote:Jimmy Fallon and Dave Lettermen arent funny at all. They just lagh at their own unfunny jokes.
Yeah, I pretty much think the same.

THE Hal E. Burton 9000
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby THE Hal E. Burton 9000 » Wed Aug 19, 2009 11:57 pm

yeah, Letterman's been going downhill since he left NBC, his old stuff was gold, ha ha, it's like when Leno took over the Tonight Show and then he began to suck

as for Jimmy Fallon, how the hell did he ever get anywhere in showbiz? he was never even decent back on SNL

my guess is he got one hell of an agent or other serious connections in the biz and he's skated on tha

P.S. For those wanting to discuss a matter with yours truly not pertaining to the general topic at hand, PM me. Please and thank you.

Xard
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Xard » Thu Aug 20, 2009 1:58 pm

I don't like or undertand the whole late night showbiz particularly well actually. Letterman I enjoy because he dared every once in a while (speaking of modern times of course, AFAIK they weren't so tightly scripted always) go against vague merchandising bullshit "interviews" for great lulz: for example the one with Britney Spears or Paris Hilton - I don't remember which one - was pretty golden.

But being a finn I have to admit being a sucker for Conan O'Brien

Eva Yojimbo
Redbeard
Redbeard

•      
  •      

Postby Eva Yojimbo » Thu Aug 20, 2009 2:01 pm

Xard wrote:But being a finn I have to admit being a sucker for Conan O'Brien
I'm guessing you saw the shows he did about Finland? About him being a god there because he looked like the president Tarja Halonen? That was quite hilarious. Ironically, I thought the shows he did when he actually went there were less funnier than those that lead up to it.

If you like Letterman because his less scripted nature, I do advice you check out Ferguson who I don't think could care less about scripts. If something strikes him he can go off on a tangent for minutes and completely get off whatever he was doing before that.

Xard
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Xard » Thu Aug 20, 2009 2:20 pm

Eva Yojimbo wrote:
Xard wrote:But being a finn I have to admit being a sucker for Conan O'Brien
I'm guessing you saw the shows he did about Finland? About him being a god there because he looked like the president Tarja Halonen? That was quite hilarious. Ironically, I thought the shows he did when he actually went there were less funnier than those that lead up to it.

Like? They were brilliant :hitthetable:

He was popular in Finland way before those jokes started - IIRC that popularity (there was ALWAYS someone from Finland in the audience) was the very reason why Finland became such permajoke. And Halonen one never gets old :lol:

Ah well, all that disses Sweden is great*

I found Finland ep really funny, albeit it wasn't as fun as the eps leading to it. The way they managed to shoot Helsinki like no one lived there was way beyond hilarious albeit more than a bit missrepresenting of our fine land and capital... O_o

I was surprised they hadn't put polar bear models to roam in the streets to fulfill ze stereotypes (random tidbit: apparently the idea that polar bears roam the Finland wilds and even cities comes from Paris World Exhibition from 1887. Finland's section had two bear statues acting as "door guards" but because for some reason they hadn't been painted reporters got the idea they were polar bears and thus image spread everywhere.).

You guys should seriously get sauna culture there as well as the ever lovely habbit of swimming in freezed lakes in middle of winter. Feels good man :smokin:

*too bad in film they own us 100-0 with their accursed Bergman :(

THE Hal E. Burton 9000
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby THE Hal E. Burton 9000 » Thu Aug 20, 2009 7:29 pm

there is one clip of Conan that I have yet find since it first aired but would love to have

during a holiday season years ago, I was watching Conan and he did this "holiday parade" where all the holidays were "represented", it included a Kwanzaa vehicle which was a Hummer and was blaring rap music and it was HILARIOUS

could anyone point me to the clip?

BrikHaus
Dokutah Tenma
Dokutah Tenma

•      
  •      

Postby BrikHaus » Thu Aug 20, 2009 7:52 pm

You guys all forgot about Jon Stewart.
Awesomely Shitty
-"That purace has more badassu maddafaakas zan supermax spaceland."
-On EMF, as a thread becomes longer, the likelihood that fem-Kaworu will be mentioned increases exponentially.
-the only English language novel actually being developed in parallel to its Japanese version involving a pan-human Soviet in a galactic struggle to survive and to export the communist utopia/revolution to all the down trodden alien class and race- one of the premise being that Khrushchev remains and has abandoned Lysenko stupidity

THE Hal E. Burton 9000
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby THE Hal E. Burton 9000 » Thu Aug 20, 2009 8:52 pm

^overrated, and the whole show now takes itself too seriously in a Dennis Miller sort of way

honsou
Zeruel
Zeruel

•      
  •      

Postby honsou » Thu Aug 20, 2009 10:49 pm

http://www.mytopclip.com/v/13279,mr-met-is-suicidal-.html

Why Conan is awesome

Eva Yojimbo
Redbeard
Redbeard

•      
  •      

Postby Eva Yojimbo » Fri Aug 21, 2009 10:46 am

BrikHaus wrote:You guys all forgot about Jon Stewart.
He's not in the late night format, but I do like The Daily Show. That said, The Colbert Report is MUCH better these days.

THE Hal E. Burton 9000
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby THE Hal E. Burton 9000 » Fri Aug 21, 2009 11:53 am

^YES!

Shiro
Scribe
Scribe

•      
  •      

Postby Shiro » Fri Aug 21, 2009 12:17 pm

I recently started watching Stewart and Colbert since I'm a sucker for political humour, and I actually like that Stewart's show is taken somewhat seriously. Because by watching the Stewart/Colbert hour I can actually consider myself informed on current events and not be bored to death.

That said, I've loved what I've seen of Conan. The segment where he went to Bang Zoom and dubbed Ghost in the Shell was downright hilarious.
Rebuild of Evangelion 1.0: YOU ARE (NOT) ALONE -My fanfic. COMPLETE, HAHA! 2/25/08.
2.0: YOU ARE (NOT) WORTHLESS: Updated (!!) 7/14/08
Nigecha dame da...
"Kaworu is not a character. Kaworu is a plot device. Kaworu sucks." -Reichu

Return to “Film and Video”