Evangelion ANIMA (general)

For talking about all other entries in the Evangelion franchise: from the various manga and video games to merchandising and various video/audio releases.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
BlueBasilisk
Bridge Bunny
Bridge Bunny

Re: Evangelion ANIMA (general)

•      
  •      

Postby BlueBasilisk » Fri Dec 01, 2017 9:26 pm

There's no proper index in the back, but here are the contents for each volume if that helps at all:
Volume 1:
SPOILER: Show

Volume 2:

Now that you mention it, yeah, none of Utatane's art is present here. It's 100% Yamashita. I didn't even realize that. I get the feeling a fair bit of his chapter art was omitted too but I'd have to do a direct comparison to be sure.

It just hit me: the character art in the back of volume 1 actually shows us what Shinji's new plugsuit looks like! It's just a black and white illustration, but hey, it's something. :tongue:
Someday I hope that we'll be reunited if that is what's destined to be. Perhaps we'll discover that elusive bible. And then we will finally be free!

TMBounty_Hunter
Hachigouki is my waifu
Hachigouki is my waifu

•      
  •      

Postby TMBounty_Hunter » Sat Dec 02, 2017 9:11 am

Comparing to the monthly releases, a lot of the first part seems to have been combined into just 4 chapters for the first book.

2nd book it seems you get 13 monthly chapters rearranged into 11 in the book with chapters titles actually matching most of the time.

Overall it appears to cover up to 2010 October monthly, so 34 out of 64 so just about half because there was a transition to a larger format for the magazine with later issues having bigger pages with more stuff. We're looking at two more books minimum then.

Next week needs to hurry up, I want my copies :(

Saving Shinji's plugsuit for the compilations is kinda hilarious.
"Hooray for other things!" -NAveryW

Literary Eagle
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby Literary Eagle » Sat Dec 02, 2017 11:30 pm

Ah, so I wasn't the only one wondering what happened to Hiroyuki Utatane's drawings. Anyway, I'm glad that all the chapters of ANIMA are finally getting collected in book format, although I was also disappointed that not all of the illustrations were printed in full color. I wrote a review of Evangelion ANIMA 1 that includes a few scans, in case anyone is interested. I made this new post for it on my book review thread.

I have Evangelion ANIMA 2 as well, but I haven't had a chance to write a review for it yet. -o-;
The Happy Red Planet (my Evangelion fan fic)

TMBounty_Hunter
Hachigouki is my waifu
Hachigouki is my waifu

•      
  •      

Postby TMBounty_Hunter » Wed Dec 06, 2017 3:36 pm

DHL man brought me my books, and they're very lovely. I really wish Yamashita's handwriting was more legible. The notes on the rough sketch of illustration under the dust jacket would be nice if I could decipher them. But then again my Japanese is still incredibly weak.

I'm really curious about how much of reediting was done of the first part. When it was published in the magazine it had all these subtitles and jumped back and forth between scenes. That was first reedited when it was published in the Anima Visual Book. That now makes up the first half of the first book. The 2nd half I just can't seem to match up to any of the monthly chapters with my weak skills. The 2nd book on the other hand matches up quite closely. I guess the delay with publication might have been reediting and potentially rewriting that early stuff to match the style of the later work?

eustakiondo
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby eustakiondo » Wed Dec 06, 2017 6:45 pm

There is a way to find the original scans of Evangelion Anima of the Dengeki Hobby Magazine? I tried to find it on the forums, reddit and other pages and I didn´t find anything. I've just ordered the two books from Amazon.co.jp, but these two only covers the first half of the story, isn't it? are the scans available elsewhere, or a translation?. Thanks for the info!!

DrthRvn
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby DrthRvn » Sun Dec 10, 2017 4:45 pm

So... someone is actually reading this books or what?
can someone give us a summary of the story?

silvermoonlight
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby silvermoonlight » Mon Dec 11, 2017 3:51 am

EDIT

Just ordered the first two volumes I'll tell you what there like once I get them ^_^

-------------------------------------

23/12/12 update.

Okay I got my Anima book 1-2 in the mail a couple of days ago unlike the other art books these are small there very much reading book novel size. I loved the comic pages in issue 1 and I hope to see more in the later issues. The only downside of these books is the images are not all in colour so for anyone wanting to see the units and some of the portraits character in colour might be better off purchasing the Anima visual book as well as these, as it has a lot of large colour images.
Anywhere can be paradise as long as you have the will to live. After all, you are alive, so you will always have the chance to be happy.

My Eva fanfiction ff.net Fading In To The Stolen Light For download version please go to AO3
Sequel As The Divine Light Breaks For download version please go to AO3

MarqFJA87
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby MarqFJA87 » Sun Dec 24, 2017 6:53 pm

Say, I've been meaning to ask... What happened to the translation effort for ANIMA here?
"Our magic is not omnipotent. A little bit of courage is the true magic."
–Negi Springfield, Negima: Magister Negi Magi

"Where there is distress, therein lies a story. Where there is a story, therein lies a will. And wherever there is a will, therein lies a soul."
–Evangeline A.K. McDowell, Negima: Magister Negi Magi

Blockio
Full/Super Moderator
Full/Super Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby Blockio » Wed Dec 27, 2017 11:33 am

View Original PostMarqFJA87 wrote:Say, I've been meaning to ask... What happened to the translation effort for ANIMA here?

Dont quote me on that, but I think it was stopped by either Gainax of Khara
I can see why Gendo hired Misato to do the actual commanding. He tried it once and did an appalling job. ~ AWinters
Your point of view is horny, and biased. ~ glitz2hard
What about titty-ten? ~ Reichu
The movies function on their own terms. If people can't accept them on those terms, and keep expecting them to be NGE, then they probably should have realized a while ago that they weren't going to have a good time. ~ Words of wisdom courtesy of Reichu

TMBounty_Hunter
Hachigouki is my waifu
Hachigouki is my waifu

•      
  •      

Postby TMBounty_Hunter » Wed Dec 27, 2017 11:52 am

There was never an actual translation effort on this forum.

There was a guy on reddit who wanted to translated it, but he decided to ask Yamashita for permission on twitter and that went exactly as expected.

Blockio
Full/Super Moderator
Full/Super Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby Blockio » Wed Dec 27, 2017 2:50 pm

TMBounty_Hunter wrote:There was never an actual translation effort on this forum.

There was a guy on reddit who wanted to translated it, but he decided to ask Yamashita for permission on twitter and that went exactly as expected.

Thats the one I was talking about... didnt see the "here" in the original message
I can see why Gendo hired Misato to do the actual commanding. He tried it once and did an appalling job. ~ AWinters
Your point of view is horny, and biased. ~ glitz2hard
What about titty-ten? ~ Reichu
The movies function on their own terms. If people can't accept them on those terms, and keep expecting them to be NGE, then they probably should have realized a while ago that they weren't going to have a good time. ~ Words of wisdom courtesy of Reichu

MarqFJA87
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby MarqFJA87 » Wed Dec 27, 2017 4:55 pm

I was actually referring to the work done by Symbv, such as here.

"Where there is distress, therein lies a story. Where there is a story, therein lies a will. And wherever there is a will, therein lies a soul."

TMBounty_Hunter
Hachigouki is my waifu
Hachigouki is my waifu

•      
  •      

Postby TMBounty_Hunter » Thu Dec 28, 2017 12:11 am

That wasn't an actual translation effort though. Just a few random bits and pieces of Japanese wiki entry, not of ANIMA text itself.

DarkBluePhoenix
Pilot
Pilot
Location: Somewhere between the light in my heart and the darkness in my soul

•      
  •      

Postby DarkBluePhoenix » Thu Dec 28, 2017 12:49 am

Well, if one were so inclined... you could use the google translate app on an android phone and read the manga by using the camera portion of the app to live translate. That's how I was able to play one of the NGE PSP games. Then you'd either have to find good hi-res scans or buy the manga
Avatar - Heero Yuy, pilot of Wing Gundam Zero. If you want to read my NGE fanfic go to my profile here - DarkBluePhoenix on FanFiction.net or DarkBluePhoenix on AO3

Voted in college to be Most likely to Take Over the World, how to do that however, will require at least Four Evangelions. Thanks for the idea Misato-san!
"Now I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds." Said at the beginning of the nuclear age by J. Robert Oppenheimer.
"That which does not kill us makes us stronger." Words of Wisdom from German Philosopher Friedrich Nietzsche.

MarqFJA87
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby MarqFJA87 » Thu Dec 28, 2017 6:22 am

View Original PostDarkBluePhoenix wrote:Well, if one were so inclined... you could use the google translate app on an android phone and read the manga by using the camera portion of the app to live translate. That's how I was able to play one of the NGE PSP games. Then you'd either have to find good hi-res scans or buy the manga

... Google Translate works on images?!

DarkBluePhoenix
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby DarkBluePhoenix » Thu Dec 28, 2017 7:59 am

View Original PostMarqFJA87 wrote:... Google Translate works on images?!

If you use the Google Translate app on your phone it does.
See this article here.
Avatar - Heero Yuy, pilot of Wing Gundam Zero. If you want to read my NGE fanfic go to my profile here - DarkBluePhoenix on FanFiction.net or DarkBluePhoenix on AO3

Voted in college to be Most likely to Take Over the World, how to do that however, will require at least Four Evangelions. Thanks for the idea Misato-san!
"Now I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds." Said at the beginning of the nuclear age by J. Robert Oppenheimer.
"That which does not kill us makes us stronger." Words of Wisdom from German Philosopher Friedrich Nietzsche.

TMBounty_Hunter
Hachigouki is my waifu
Hachigouki is my waifu

•      
  •      

Postby TMBounty_Hunter » Thu Dec 28, 2017 9:13 am

Please for the love of god don't use machine translations. They're still absolute garbage for Japanese and will only lead to more misinformation.

DarkBluePhoenix
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby DarkBluePhoenix » Thu Dec 28, 2017 9:20 pm

View Original PostTMBounty_Hunter wrote:Please for the love of god don't use machine translations. They're still absolute garbage for Japanese and will only lead to more misinformation.

They have gotten better, if someone wishes to translate them properly to compare that is. These are all from the PSP version of Battle Orchestra, and the translations really helped me get the point of the missions. Though I will admit the picture translation is better than using the live video translation, becuase if your hand moves, the translation gets thrown off.

TMBounty_Hunter
Hachigouki is my waifu
Hachigouki is my waifu

•      
  •      

Postby TMBounty_Hunter » Fri Dec 29, 2017 3:06 pm

Translating short bullet point goals (and still rather poorly) is completely different from translating narrative prose. I still advise against trying it. Nothing good will come of it.

MarqFJA87
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby MarqFJA87 » Fri Dec 29, 2017 5:44 pm

Yeah, I agree with TMBounty_Hunter.

On a slightly different note, is there anything about ANIMA that you guys know but isn't mentioned in the wiki? Like, what happened to the Eva-fied Asuka (whom I prefer to call either "Asuka-Eva" or "Eva!Asuka" rather than "the Asuka-Eva Synthesis") after she apparently defected to the enemy? Has ANIMA even reached a proper conclusion, or was it cancelled prematurely?

Oh, and speaking of the enemy in ANIMA... The name is spelled "Torwart", not "Taubert", right? Because the latter is used several times in the wiki.

... And how come I have to click twice on the "post reply" button and the page buttons if I reached the page by clicking the link within a "new post" notification message? A single click just keeps me on the same page after a few seconds.

Return to “Everything Else Evangelion”