Evangelion ANIMA (general)

For talking about all other entries in the Evangelion franchise: from the various manga and video games to merchandising and various video/audio releases.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
Iuvenal
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby Iuvenal » Tue Oct 06, 2015 9:48 am

View Original PostJäeger wrote:Not only LAS, but wackiness everywhere...the fuck, Mari is a bioengineered catgirl who pilots a wolf EVA??

:marihearts:
Pkunk's not dead! Shake yer Rootz!

I carved A +S forever into my left buttock with a pocket knife. My right buttock is dominated by a tattoo of James Brown. - Chuckman

Who did 9/11? The FAR. - Reichu

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Tue Oct 06, 2015 11:18 am

That recent silliness has been purged.

There's no particular reason everything Anima-related has to be in a single huge thread. In fact that's kind of off-putting and might keep people away from this sidestory because it's too daunting to get started.

Feel free to make a new one if you have more specific issues to discuss.
Rest In Peace ~ 1978 - 2017
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf
"I think internet message boards and the like are dangerous." - Anno

Dima
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Dima » Tue Oct 06, 2015 11:54 am

In an italian blog i found the first chapter of ANIMA. It's called EVANGELION: ANIMA [3 years after]CAPITOLO PRIMO – Memories at the Watermelon Field/The Raid of NERV.

http://www.evaitalianfan.it/blog/evangelion-anima-2/

I need someone to tell me if there is already a translation of this (i can't read all the 50 pages) otherwise i can translate it and i will post it before this week ends.
Last edited by Dima on Tue Oct 06, 2015 4:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
There was a signature here. It's gone now....... - This is (not) a Silent Hill's reference
Members on my ignore list: Bagheera, pwhodges, Nuclear Lunchbox, Rosenakahara

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Tue Oct 06, 2015 4:22 pm

There is no English translation of more than chapter heads that I am aware of. The rather obtuse Japanese style used appears to have deterred the usual run of fan translator.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Dima
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Dima » Tue Oct 06, 2015 4:24 pm

So should i go ahead with the translation then? What do you mean with chapter heads?
Last edited by Dima on Tue Oct 06, 2015 4:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
There was a signature here. It's gone now....... - This is (not) a Silent Hill's reference

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Tue Oct 06, 2015 4:33 pm

Yes, please.

What has been translated are introductory/summary fragments, with slightly more content than the "Chapter N, in which X happens and Y does something" style that used to be a feature of writing some generations ago.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Dima
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Dima » Tue Oct 06, 2015 4:40 pm

View Original PostMr. Tines wrote:Yes, please.

What has been translated are introductory/summary fragments, with slightly more content than the "Chapter N, in which X happens and Y does something" style that used to be a feature of writing some generations ago.

Ok then. I will have it ready before this week ends. I am thinking to make a new thread so we can have a discussion about the first chapter if it's ok with the staff. Also is there a limit with how much letters i can write in a single post? I haven't done a translation before so should i write it first in Word and then post it here or should i start writing the translation directly from here (reply post).

TMBounty_Hunter
Hachigouki is my waifu
Hachigouki is my waifu

•      
  •      

Postby TMBounty_Hunter » Tue Oct 06, 2015 6:52 pm

You don't have to read the whole thread (although that would probably be helpful if you want to be fully informed about what is know and what isn't), the forum has a search function.

The rough translation of that first chapter has been in this thread since 2010:

http://forum.evageeks.org/post/352902/Evangelion-ANIMA-general/#352902
"Hooray for other things!" -NAveryW

Dima
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Dima » Wed Oct 07, 2015 1:15 am

Or instead of using the search function i can ask here and wait a reply from a fellow member since you know since we are in a forum we should do that once in a while.

Since it's already translated, i don't find any reason to make a different translation.

Some random info from the link i posted is that the first 7 chapters are almost fully translated only in portugese so.....good luck finding them.

TMBounty_Hunter
Hachigouki is my waifu
Hachigouki is my waifu

•      
  •      

Postby TMBounty_Hunter » Wed Oct 07, 2015 4:33 am

So is the Italian then translated from the Portuguese? It's never a good idea to play broken telephone with multiple translations of translations.

Dima
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Dima » Wed Oct 07, 2015 5:04 am

No the italian is not from the portugese translation. If this was the case he would already translated the rest.

The first 7 chapters are translated from Japanese to portugese. The guy from the italian blog says he can't find the portugese translations on the web because.... he doesn't know portugese. You will ask me how he knows that the first 7 chapters are translated in portugese then? Well i don't because he doesn't explain it in his blog. He says that this is the only chapter that he will translate because he can't find any more material. I guess then only one chapter was translated in english?

TMBounty_Hunter
Hachigouki is my waifu
Hachigouki is my waifu

•      
  •      

Postby TMBounty_Hunter » Wed Oct 07, 2015 7:12 am

Yep, just the first chapter with any good amount of effort.

The Japanese of 2nd chapter has been OCR'd and is on the wiki, people tried doing a machine translation of it but it turns into a horrible, horrible clusterfuck.

Dima
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Dima » Wed Oct 07, 2015 11:21 am

View Original PostTMBounty_Hunter wrote:Yep, just the first chapter with any good amount of effort.

The Japanese of 2nd chapter has been OCR'd and is on the wiki, people tried doing a machine translation of it but it turns into a horrible, horrible clusterfuck.

So the only hope is the release of the compilation book and then someone to pick it for a translation.

Seele_26
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Seele_26 » Wed Oct 07, 2015 11:51 am

View Original PostDima wrote:In an italian blog i found the first chapter of ANIMA. It's called EVANGELION: ANIMA [3 years after]CAPITOLO PRIMO – Memories at the Watermelon Field/The Raid of NERV.

http://www.evaitalianfan.it/blog/evangelion-anima-2/

I need someone to tell me if there is already a translation of this (i can't read all the 50 pages) otherwise i can translate it and i will post it before this week ends.

Hi Dima, i'm the Evangelion Italian Fan CFO. Actually we've just few chapter of Anima, the guy who translate it to italian has something like 4-5 chapter and we don't have anyone who knows Japanese who could help us. We got our english chapters from Reddit a long time ago, if you could help us out (or anyone else could) we'll appreciate it a lot (obv we mention the original translator on our website)
Evangelion Italian Fan CFO and chief

Dima
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Dima » Wed Oct 07, 2015 4:50 pm

View Original PostSeele_26 wrote:Hi Dima, i'm the Evangelion Italian Fan CFO. Actually we've just few chapter of Anima, the guy who translate it to italian has something like 4-5 chapter and we don't have anyone who knows Japanese who could help us. We got our english chapters from Reddit a long time ago, if you could help us out (or anyone else could) we'll appreciate it a lot (obv we mention the original translator on our website)

Welcome to Eva Geeks.

So you need someone to translate from english to italian for the blog? Or someone who knows Japanese? Because i don't speak Japanese. If you need someone to translate from english to italian i could help. Send me a PM (in italian if you want) with the details.

Seele_26
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Seele_26 » Thu Oct 08, 2015 8:07 am

Ouch, well no, i'm actually looking for someone who has the Japanese version and know how to translate it. My bad i only find something like 2-3 pages in english. If someone could find a spanish (or portuguese) i could be cool too.
Evangelion Italian Fan CFO and chief

Dima
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Dima » Thu Oct 08, 2015 8:58 am

I think it's easier to find a spanish (or portugal) speaker instead of a Japanese one. I don't know if there is someone here who is willing to do it but asking here it's probably your best chance.

Since you are asking for a portugese one i guess you have the first 7 chapters you were talking about in your blog? (the ones that are in portugese)

Kuroi the Black
Embryo

Evangelion ANIMA translation

•      
  •      

Postby Kuroi the Black » Thu Oct 08, 2015 6:02 pm

Hi everyone,

I'm Kuroi the Black from Evangelion Italian Fan (EIF), I'm the guy currently translating ANIMA on our blog. I discussed with my friend and colleague Seele_26 and decided to re-join the community to clarify some aspects regarding what we're doing right now.

First, let's solve some mysteries: I am currently translating ANIMA from both the Japanese scans and some early material that had been assembled togetherafter after the failure of the first translation attempt on Reddit over two years ago (the one started by YourLifeCoach) due to Yamashita cease-and-desist on twitter (I bet most of you guys remember that)
More specifically, I possess:
- scans of the first two parts of ANIMA (all chapters) plus some chapters from the third part;
- a rough english translation of chapter 1 and 2 (mostly made using different automatic translations to put together one that kinda made sense);
- a lot of untranslated Japanese script extracted from chapter 3-8 scans using a transcript software.
The project died almost immediatly, so that's all we were able to prepare before disbanding for good.

About a year ago, I joined EIF's new team and decided to revive the project using the source materials I had. I tried to contact Yourlifecoach and some other people, with no success, so I resolved to start on my own. With the help of a Japanese friend, (who obviously knows the Japanese language better than I do), I re-translated the first chapter in italian, from Japanese (and some of the first english translation). No potuguese-italian translation whatsoever.

Now, the important part is: I decided to restart the project as an in-depth recap/summary, and not as a full translation. The reason is the fact that the previous project got shut down by a cease-and-desist warning, creating a legal precedent. Even though the published version of ANIMA is in a limbo (and with it, any chance of seeing it licensed in the West), something like a full fan-made translation is still a huge burden for one person. Plus, given the fact that I only know basic Japanese and need the help of a friend (who isn't an Eva fan at all) made the idea of an accurate full translation something even more difficult.
So, the idea is to make a solid, accurate, in-depth recap of ANIMA, including fully-translated excerpts and illustrations, to allow fans worldwide to experience ANIMA's story, even without a full translation of it.

To cut it short, here's the deal: We at EIF are translating ANIMA into a summary/recap-like form (which will of course contain integrally-translated excerpts from the novel), using the original Japanese scans. At the moment, I am at 85% of finishing my work on the second part of this project, which will cover the first half of ANIMA part ONE.
I am willing to produce an english version of my work (as you can see, I am better in english than in Japanese) and to accept any help from fellow japanese-speaking fans who wish to give us a hand).

Suggestions and any kind of opinion are very much appreciated too.
Thank you beforehand for the support and sorry for the long post :D

MarqFJA87
Tunniel
Tunniel

Re: Evangelion ANIMA (general)

•      
  •      

Postby MarqFJA87 » Sat Apr 30, 2016 6:30 am

I hope I'm posting this in the right place.

I am curious to know what the personalities of the Rei IV, V, and VI are like. It's for a trio of sister-clones for Rei (dubbed Rei IV-VI here) in a fanfic idea of mine, you see; I'm trying to figure out if it's plausible to have Rei IV be a cynical misanthrope with an aggressive and domineering streak, Rei V be a shy girly-girl who wants everyone to be happy and get along, and Rei VI be pretty much a kid-sized version of the genki!Rei from the TV ending's highschool alternate world (minus the immediate distrust of Shinji for supposedly looking up her skirt after they crashed into each other), or essentially a kid-sized version of Rei III from Petit Eva.

What do you guys think?
"Our magic is not omnipotent. A little bit of courage is the true magic."
–Negi Springfield, Negima: Magister Negi Magi

"Where there is distress, therein lies a story. Where there is a story, therein lies a will. And wherever there is a will, therein lies a soul."
–Evangeline A.K. McDowell, Negima: Magister Negi Magi

TMBounty_Hunter
Hachigouki is my waifu
Hachigouki is my waifu

Re: Evangelion ANIMA (general)

•      
  •      

Postby TMBounty_Hunter » Sat Aug 27, 2016 9:01 pm

Yamashita seems to be tweeting that the compilation book(s) are still possibly a thing

EDIT: Minna no Eva Fan picked up the tweets: http://neweva.blog103.fc2.com/blog-entry-4766.html

Return to “Everything Else Evangelion”