Evangelion ANIMA (general)

For talking about all other entries in the Evangelion franchise: from the various manga and video games to merchandising and various video/audio releases.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
Angel of Will
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby Angel of Will » Sat Feb 14, 2015 7:09 pm

Yes, I was making a snide comparison (of ANIMA) to eva-r, and Jaeger was clarifying what ANIMA was.
"Reality exists in a place unknown, and dreams exist within reality. And Truth lies in your heart."

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Sun Feb 15, 2015 1:35 am

View Original PostGuy Nacks wrote:I still want Sore wo Nasumono to get an actual pseudo-canon adaptation, a la Anima. At least that had even MORE cracktastic ideas from Yamashita.

Just so you know, Sore o nasumono is the title of a book collecting NGE design work by Yamashita and Seiji Kio. It is not the name of the wacky ending scenario that happens to be published in the book. That would be "The Long-Awaited People".

Jäeger
Temp-Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Jäeger » Sun Feb 15, 2015 9:47 am

View Original PostAngel of Will wrote:Yes, I was making a snide comparison (of ANIMA) to eva-r, and Jaeger was clarifying what ANIMA was.

I though it's pretty clear I was talking about ANIMA :wink:

The hell, I was talking about and official work :devil:
Do american "cool" people know that in Europe only alcoholics and homeless drink wine without food by their side???

bobbyfischer's ghost
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby bobbyfischer's ghost » Sun May 17, 2015 2:09 am

So it's been a while since I last checked in on this, I'm ready to be spoiled fully so if one of you guy's could PM me spoiler's it would be very much appreciated. Particularly on what happened to Asuka after getting absorbed into that void.
Current avatar: Shotoku in winter
"Political Correctness is Fascism pretending to be Manners." ~ George Carlin
Wilt Chamberlain answers the infamous question.

TMBounty_Hunter
Hachigouki is my waifu
Hachigouki is my waifu

•      
  •      

Postby TMBounty_Hunter » Sun May 17, 2015 8:52 am

I'm pretty sure zero progress has been made on translating or even summarizing this in the last 2 years since the serialization ended, so I doubt there's anything new since the last time you checked.
"Hooray for other things!" -NAveryW

Mr. Jive
Adam

v

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Jive » Mon Jul 06, 2015 7:13 am

It hard to take anima seriously whit all the fandeservice images of the girls even maya and hikari are not self. Which is just as bad as forcing her to be a pilot. I have yet to see what kensuke look like, who once again get the sharp end of the stick in another spin off. It like the world of eva loves bullying this guy around as if he the one that went psycho on everyone and treated his female pilots like crap.

Speaking of the psycho, he looks more girlie here then he ever have in the past. Must mean he finally gonna accept that feminine side of him seeing how he is a LGBT character. Along with whatever inhuman kind of person he is from what rebuild have shown too. Falling in love will not make Shinji happy but accepting who or whatever he is will atleat bring him some sort of happiness.
Kensuke not a saint but at least he's not a psycho jerking off to a girl in a comma.

Arcadia's legacy
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

Re: v

•      
  •      

Postby Arcadia's legacy » Thu Jul 23, 2015 2:13 pm

View Original PostMr. Jive wrote:Must mean he finally gonna accept that feminine side of him seeing how he is a LGBT character.

......What does that even mean? :headscratch:
Never let the flame that is hope burn out, for despite the length of the night, the sunrise will always come
""Trolling the audience" is the same thing as "challenging the audience" (to an audience that doesn't want to be challenged)." -Reichu

Jäeger
Temp-Banned

Re: v

•      
  •      

Postby Jäeger » Sun Aug 23, 2015 5:22 am

View Original PostArcadia's legacy wrote:......What does that even mean? :headscratch:

"If you don't accept Shinji is gay, you're all homophobic"

That is what means, sad but true.

And a lie, of course. I'm sorry for disappointing him, but in both Evangelion and Anima Shinji is very attracted to women. So better leave his fantasies for fan fics
Do american "cool" people know that in Europe only alcoholics and homeless drink wine without food by their side???

Gob Hobblin
First Ancestor
First Ancestor

•      
  •      

Postby Gob Hobblin » Sun Aug 23, 2015 6:58 pm

Or he's just androgynous in his appearance. Being an effeminate male or butch female doesn't make a character LGBT, however. It does buck gender norms.
Though, Gob still might look good in a cocktail dress.
-Sorrow

Rei wanted to know what waffles tasted like.
-Literary Eagle

We have to remember what's important in life: friends, waffles, and work. Or waffles, friends, and work. But work has to come in third.
-Leslie Knope

Come read EVA Sessions! This place has it, too! There'll be pizza! Not really! There are other things, too! Not EVA Sessions! Did I mention the pizza!?

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Mon Aug 24, 2015 1:33 am

View Original PostGob Hobblin wrote:It does buck gender norms.

Mainly the perception of them rather than the reality, even then. In real life, basing ideas of sexual orientation on supposed norms tells us more about the observer than the character, though admittedly a work of fiction may use that bias as a shortcut.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

Dima
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Dima » Sun Oct 04, 2015 11:29 am

So i guess there hasn't been any updates on this. No news about any translation and nothing about that compilation book, right?

How did this thread with so little arrived at page 50 anyway?
There was a signature here. It's gone now....... - This is (not) a Silent Hill's reference
Members on my ignore list: Bagheera, pwhodges, Nuclear Lunchbox, Rosenakahara

BlueBasilisk
Bridge Bunny
Bridge Bunny

•      
  •      

Postby BlueBasilisk » Sun Oct 04, 2015 5:04 pm

The compilation book has been MIA since it was announced and things aren't looking good on that front. I have found what appears to be a translation of the final chapter of Anima floating around Tumblr under the "Anima" tag. It's...weird.

Edit: here's an excerpt from it, courtesy of http://17th-angel.tumblr.com/ :

SPOILER: Show
Excerpt 1
The shape of Shinji
"It’s in Lilin fairy tales as well, isn’t it? Since Lilith was uncontrollable and Eve was completely duped in the story of the snake, why didn’t it also happen to Adam, who was on the other side?"
—What are you talking about, Kaworu-kun?
"Just a fairy tale. One that might hide the truth unexpectedly within it…about what Adam cut off."
—Cut what off?
"The serpent—that is, the evil and sin that is part of Adam. In an attempt to be whole, Adam had cut off the part of himself that was the most human."
—For what?
"To meet the being that gave him Lilith—he did it with the best of intentions, but it ended up costing his right to do so."
—To meet…? Who?
"Light… fills."

Excerpt 2
Deep inside the mouth opened by Devil’s backbone, he thought he saw his own face, terribly distorted.
—Could it be that I’m the serpent—the human flaw that was cut off from Adam, Kaworu-kun?
"That’s not for you to know as the “you” you are now." Those concrete words were the first time he heard him not speak in riddles.
"You intend on descending from this time loop as the Shinji-kun you are now, don’t you? Then you should give the right to have that information to the “you” of the new world."
—You…aren’t going to stop me, are you?
"Haven’t I told you, Shinji-kun? I’m your ally. No matter which one of “you” I meet."
—Kaworu-kun?
"This is goodbye." Shinji thought Kaworu might have smiled.
Shinji’s blade glinted, slicing up the body of the Armaros giant from the left arm of its body.

What I'm able to take away from this: there's a time loop of some kind going on in the Anima universe, Armaros is a "black Adam," and Shinji is a human aspect of Adam that ends up merging with Kaworu. :bigeyes:
Someday I hope that we'll be reunited if that is what's destined to be. Perhaps we'll discover that elusive bible. And then we will finally be free!

Dima
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Dima » Mon Oct 05, 2015 10:12 am

View Original PostBlueBasilisk wrote:The compilation book has been MIA since it was announced and things aren't looking good on that front.

So it's not coming out? Shouldn't they have said something after so much time?
There was a signature here. It's gone now....... - This is (not) a Silent Hill's reference

BlueBasilisk
Bridge Bunny
Bridge Bunny

•      
  •      

Postby BlueBasilisk » Mon Oct 05, 2015 1:54 pm

Well, that's the thing. It hasn't been officially cancelled as far as I know. They've just been completely silent about it.
Someday I hope that we'll be reunited if that is what's destined to be. Perhaps we'll discover that elusive bible. And then we will finally be free!

Dima
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Dima » Mon Oct 05, 2015 3:43 pm

From what i read, the last update was in..... December 2013 :bigeyes: . It was delayed because there were some issues with the publisher. I don't know it's solved now or if this why it is not released yet. Still 2 years after and not a single word is..... strange.

Maybe they silently cancelled it and nobody cared asking? Japan already have read the story and they can read it any time so it's not like they would ask for the compilation book like we do.

TMBounty_Hunter
Hachigouki is my waifu
Hachigouki is my waifu

•      
  •      

Postby TMBounty_Hunter » Mon Oct 05, 2015 8:58 pm

View Original PostDima wrote:Japan already have read the story and they can read it any time so it's not like they would ask for the compilation book like we do.

Well, given that Anima chapters span 64 issues of hobby magazines that take up a meter wide book shelf, for a total weight of almost 60kg and only ~6-10 relevant pages per issue, a compilation book would be really, really, really convenient.

The compilation book could also print every single illustration in color instead of relegating some of them to the B&W pages of the magazine.

The publisher restructuring excuse from long ago surely no longer applies, they had lots of time to get their shit together and have been publishing lots of other material. If we're gonna speculate wildly to pass the time one thing that comes to mind is that the serialization is ~450 pages long. Maybe with reformatting and culling lots of crap that makes it into the monthly prints they can get it under 300. That's still a fuckload of pages. Maybe Yamashita wants a large format book to show off the sexy illustrations and the publisher had an aneurysm when they did a rough calculation of the cost. Maybe they don't see this as being popular enough of a spin-off to invest it.

Or maybe Anno wants is temporarily buried because he wants to use some of the ideas in Final and then allow it to resurface for more profits later.

Dima
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Dima » Tue Oct 06, 2015 5:21 am

View Original PostTMBounty_Hunter wrote:Well, given that Anima chapters span 64 issues of hobby magazines that take up a meter wide book shelf, for a total weight of almost 60kg and only ~6-10 relevant pages per issue, a compilation book would be really, really, really convenient.

True but what i meant was that they will have some sites with sypnosis, full pages, scans or in other words all the essential information about it. It's not like they have to own all the 64 issues personally. That aside, a compilation book would really be more convenient and i think many would appreciate it.

View Original PostTMBounty_Hunter wrote:The publisher restructuring excuse from long ago surely no longer applies, they had lots of time to get their shit together and have been publishing lots of other material. If we're gonna speculate wildly to pass the time one thing that comes to mind is that the serialization is ~450 pages long. Maybe with reformatting and culling lots of crap that makes it into the monthly prints they can get it under 300. That's still a fuckload of pages.

This could be one of the reasons of why it's taking so much. Still as i said before the worrying part here is the radio silence. Isn't there a way to communicate with them about it? Like twitter or facebook or something? Then again i think somebody will already have by now if there is a way of contact.

View Original PostTMBounty_Hunter wrote:Maybe they don't see this as being popular enough of a spin-off to invest it.

I doubt it. Why should they bother announce it then?

View Original PostTMBounty_Hunter wrote:Or maybe Anno wants is temporarily buried because he wants to use some of the ideas in Final and then allow it to resurface for more profits later.

Why should Anno use anything from ANIMA? From what i know he is not involved with it at all. Also, Anno never used anything from manga, games or anything similar in the anime except that sword (which is from ANIMA) that 08+02 is holding in the preview. Still this doesn't indicate that he will use more designs from it and from all we know it could just be a temporarily design as it happened in the past with the other previews.

BlueBasilisk
Bridge Bunny
Bridge Bunny

•      
  •      

Postby BlueBasilisk » Tue Oct 06, 2015 6:27 am

View Original PostDima wrote:Why should Anno use anything from ANIMA? From what i know he is not involved with it at all. Also, Anno never used anything from manga, games or anything similar in the anime except that sword (which is from ANIMA) that 08+02 is holding in the preview. Still this doesn't indicate that he will use more designs from it and from all we know it could just be a temporarily design as it happened in the past with the other previews.

There are quite a few things from Anima that have shown up in the Rebuilds in one form or another. There are four Reis, Seele is exposed, Nerv is restructured, and Misato takes over as commander. Maya moves up into Ritsuko's role and takes charge of the Evas. Anima did all of those first. Armaros is a dark Evangelion from the moon with a halo and has a head design very similar to the Mark.06. US Eva WOLFPAC's beast mode precedes Unit 02's Code 777 Beast Mode.

Anima also has an apple core or chalice-shaped chunk of moon and a valley full of petrified headless Evas from a failed Instrumentality in the past. Mark.09 is similar conceptually to both the rebuilt Eva Units 0.0 and to Armaros' Victor/Torwart henchmen. It even looks like a Torwart in its Vessel form with the placement of the horn and v-crests on its face.

There's definitely some cross-pollination of ideas between Rebuild and Anima. Anno could be drawing inspiration from Yamashita, or Yamashita could have been drawing from ideas that were discussed for the future of the Rebuilds. Who knows? They've worked together since the Eva proposal so it's not surprising that they'd bounce ideas off of each other.

Edit: The Magoroku sword from the preview was an unused weapon concept that first showed up in the Eva 2 game, I think? It's older than Anima, at any rate.

Dima
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Dima » Tue Oct 06, 2015 6:52 am

Well, since i never read anything from ANIMA i didn't knew any of these. I thought if there were so many connections between ANIMA and Rebuild someone would have already made a thread about it.

TMBounty_Hunter
Hachigouki is my waifu
Hachigouki is my waifu

•      
  •      

Postby TMBounty_Hunter » Tue Oct 06, 2015 7:05 am

There's no need for a separate thread when you can bury it all throughout this 50-page long one.

And yes the swords and F-Type armor pre-date Anima. However they get a slight redesign in it and that's what's in the preview.

Return to “Everything Else Evangelion”