End of Evangelion re-release

For talking about all other entries in the Evangelion franchise: from the various manga and video games to merchandising and various video/audio releases.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
drinian
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

End of Evangelion re-release

•      
  •      

Postby drinian » Sat Jul 02, 2005 9:21 pm

It looks like Manga Entertainment's re-releasing Death and Rebirth/End of Evangelion at the end of July. Judging by the description on their website, this is just a repackaging of their old DVD masters...

[url]http://www.manga.com/index.php?id=77[/url]

Soluzar
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

•      
  •      

Postby Soluzar » Sat Jul 02, 2005 9:28 pm

Yep. I'm not trying to be rude, but this has been posted before. There's another thread right here.

We'll never get to see the glory that is the renewal versions unless Mangle Entertainment lose that license. It sucks. :(
Natsukashii, ne?

drinian
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby drinian » Sat Jul 02, 2005 9:48 pm

The box set referenced in that thread is not region 1 and has already been released. This is the one that Monkey mentioned had been delayed and has a different design.

Soluzar
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

•      
  •      

Postby Soluzar » Sat Jul 02, 2005 9:59 pm

drinian wrote:The box set referenced in that thread is not region 1 and has already been released. This is the one that Monkey mentioned had been delayed and has a different design.

I beg your pardon. I figured that it would be the same one. How many times are they going to milk that cash cow? It's the same film we all already own...
Natsukashii, ne?

rb_182_
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby rb_182_ » Sun Jul 03, 2005 3:49 am

Ok I'm just wondering something. The end of evangelion that I already own looks as good, if not better than the platinum editions. now what's the point in releasing a renewed version??
The Real Ending to Evangelion~~
Rei goes insane!!~~
~Rei is hope.. the hope that people will one day be able to understand each other, and Kaworu is the words... "I Love You". I think they are two beings that will always be watching over everything~

Mr. Bud
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Bud » Sun Jul 03, 2005 8:23 am

rob_of_the_genesis wrote:Ok I'm just wondering something. The end of evangelion that I already own looks as good, if not better than the platinum editions. now what's the point in releasing a renewed version??

Making money.

drinian
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby drinian » Sun Jul 03, 2005 2:00 pm

Mr. Bud wrote:
rob_of_the_genesis wrote:Ok I'm just wondering something. The end of evangelion that I already own looks as good, if not better than the platinum editions. now what's the point in releasing a renewed version??

Making money.

Well:

1) This isn't a renewed version. It's just a new box for the old disc. Japan did get a renewed version however.

2) The movies look better because the movie animation was done at an initial level of quality and detail much higher than that used for the TV series.

But, yeah, in the end Manga is just trying to capitalize from ADV's Platinum marketing blitz.

rb_182_
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby rb_182_ » Sun Jul 03, 2005 2:33 pm

ah so in the end it's all about the money basically.. figures.
Rei goes insane!!~~
~Rei is hope.. the hope that people will one day be able to understand each other, and Kaworu is the words... "I Love You". I think they are two beings that will always be watching over everything~

rip3mwk
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby rip3mwk » Sun Jul 03, 2005 6:29 pm

Okay, the renewal of eva versions consist of death (true)^2 and much improved color and sound. Manga has the shitty old death and rebirth, plus the picture is quite suckie and the sound ultimatelly blows... only 5.1 english for d&r and 5.1 and 6.1 english and Japanese for eoe. What were they thinking? The two go together like shit and a toilet. I have the renewal DTS version of eoe and the manga dvds so I know. That is the difference.

Mr. Bud
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Bud » Sun Jul 03, 2005 8:53 pm

rip3mwk wrote:Okay, the renewal of eva versions consist of death (true)^2 and much improved color and sound. Manga has the shitty old death and rebirth, plus the picture is quite suckie and the sound ultimatelly blows... only 5.1 english for d&r and 5.1 and 6.1 english and Japanese for eoe. What were they thinking? The two go together like shit and a toilet. I have the renewal DTS version of eoe and the manga dvds so I know. That is the difference.

Oh well, Death & Rebirth is lame anyway so...

rb_182_
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby rb_182_ » Sun Jul 03, 2005 10:02 pm

True dat!
Rei goes insane!!~~

Timesplitter 01
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby Timesplitter 01 » Mon Jul 04, 2005 4:21 am

Mr. Bud wrote:
rip3mwk wrote:Okay, the renewal of eva versions consist of death (true)^2 and much improved color and sound. Manga has the shitty old death and rebirth, plus the picture is quite suckie and the sound ultimatelly blows... only 5.1 english for d&r and 5.1 and 6.1 english and Japanese for eoe. What were they thinking? The two go together like shit and a toilet. I have the renewal DTS version of eoe and the manga dvds so I know. That is the difference.

Oh well, Death & Rebirth is lame anyway so...

It wasnt bad.

Why do people Hate D&R so much?
I have too much anime, yet it's not enough. Anime Addict, if it were a drug; I'd be dead.

RuaDragon
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby RuaDragon » Mon Jul 04, 2005 6:59 am

[quote="Mr. Bud] Oh well, Death & Rebirth is lame anyway so...[/quote]

TAKE THAT BACK HEATHEN!
"Dying is not romantic, and death is not a game which will soon be over...Death is not anything...Death is not...It's the absence of presence , nothing more...The endless time of never coming back...a gap you can't see, and when the wind blows through it, it makes no sound..."
- Guildenstern

Mr. Bud
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Bud » Mon Jul 04, 2005 9:05 am

A really long clip show with half of EoE slapped on the end of it...Great.

drinian
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby drinian » Mon Jul 04, 2005 1:09 pm

Mr. Bud wrote:A really long clip show with half of EoE slapped on the end of it...Great.

Well, I thought it served a pretty useful purpose, especially before the "Director's Cut" editions of the TV show contained all of the new footage from Death. It really helped to set the stage (quite literally, using the orchestra-tuning metaphor) for the End of Evangelion, which, after all, is pretty much nonstop action.

Rebirth, a.k.a. the first half of EoE, was tacked on because the rest of the film wasn't ready on schedule.

rb_182_
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby rb_182_ » Mon Jul 04, 2005 1:25 pm

Yeah they put Rebirth on to give the people that went to see Death and Rebirth in theaters more of a reason to want to see End of Evangelion. In the theater that was a great idea because then you don't just go to the theater and see chips from the episodes you've already seen. but when it makes it's way to dvd it becomes usless with end of Evangelion out. and I don't hate DeathandRebirth it's just pointless for ME personally because I already have all 7 platinums with the directors cuts on them and end of evangelion. for somebody who doesn't have the directors cuts it's actually awesome.
Rei goes insane!!~~

Ataru
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Ataru » Tue Jul 19, 2005 12:03 pm

I love Death & Rebirth because it condenses almost the entire series down into a tightly edited assualt on your senses. It's brutal. For example, there's no "Asuka is annoying for 6-9 hours then you find out why", they just smash you with her mother revelation right at the start, etc. etc. It's really unpleasant.

Death & Rebirth is also great because if you have friends who like crazy movies but wouldn't be receptive to watching all of Eva. On my first viewings I thought the series was pretty irritating until half way through, then fell in love with it during the final third. Death & Rebirth is a good way to introduce the show to people who wouldn't bother watching it if they just saw the first few episodes. Does it "spoil" them? Not really, since it's unlikely they'd ever watch the show anyway.

rip3mwk
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby rip3mwk » Tue Jul 19, 2005 6:36 pm

I like death. That still doesn't give me a reason for buying REBIRTH with it...

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey » Tue Jul 26, 2005 4:26 pm

Rebirth is pointless, yes. But Death is not. End of story.

Hexon.Arq
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Hexon.Arq » Tue Jul 26, 2005 4:35 pm

At least this will provide something to stick into that big Platinum box. I'm really not attached to those cardboard jackets at all.

_you can't do anything, so don't even try
_get some help
_don't do what sonic does

Return to “Everything Else Evangelion”