Hell Froze Over (Evangelion on Cartoon Network)

For talking about all other entries in the Evangelion franchise: from the various manga and video games to merchandising and various video/audio releases.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
MongolSquad
Matarael
Matarael

Hell Froze Over (Evangelion on Cartoon Network)

•      
  •      

Postby MongolSquad » Sat Jul 02, 2005 5:39 pm

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/article.php?id=6949

Mr. Bud
Lilith

Re: Hell Froze Over

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Bud » Sat Jul 02, 2005 7:08 pm

cain luppus wrote:http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/article.php?id=6949

It could be worse. My guess is that Evangelion will no doubt go to Adult Swim. No way will it go on Toonami. If it's on Adult Swim there's actually a good chance it may not even be edited. Probably a little bit. The body of Asuka's mom swinging from the rafters will probably get the axe. Rei I being choked will no doubt get a lot cut. There's probably some other stuff too. Perhaps the slaughter of Unit-03 might be edited. But that one's hard to call. It's just an Eva after all and not a person.

Like I said, it might be alright. Eva has some freaky/disturbing images in it, but not a lot that seems edit worthy.

Hell, I'll probably watch it when it comes to CN. It seems like it could be fun to see what they change/edit if anything.

Phaze
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

•      
  •      

Postby Phaze » Sat Jul 02, 2005 7:25 pm

Dammit! I was just about to post this!
It could be worse. My guess is that Evangelion will no doubt go to Adult Swim. No way will it go on Toonami. If it's on Adult Swim there's actually a good chance it may not even be edited. Probably a little bit. The body of Asuka's mom swinging from the rafters will probably get the axe. Rei I being choked will no doubt get a lot cut. There's probably some other stuff too. Perhaps the slaughter of Unit-03 might be edited. But that one's hard to call. It's just an Eva after all and not a person.

Adult Swim is pretty light when it comes to editing. Have you seen Robot Chicken lately? If they can show babies being slaughtered by helicopter blades, I doubt they'll have any problems with Evangelion.
The purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog!

ObsessiveMathsFreak
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby ObsessiveMathsFreak » Sat Jul 02, 2005 7:54 pm

Phaze wrote:Adult Swim is pretty light when it comes to editing. Have you seen Robot Chicken lately? If they can show babies being slaughtered by helicopter blades, I doubt they'll have any problems with Evangelion.

Ahh yes! But in lieu of rotaryblade infantacide, Evangelion has religious symbols and naked people.
[Became an administrator on or before October 4th, 2007.]
May The Maths Be With You.

Phaze
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

•      
  •      

Postby Phaze » Sat Jul 02, 2005 8:30 pm

ObsessiveMathsFreak wrote:
Phaze wrote:Adult Swim is pretty light when it comes to editing. Have you seen Robot Chicken lately? If they can show babies being slaughtered by helicopter blades, I doubt they'll have any problems with Evangelion.

Ahh yes! But in lieu of rotaryblade infantacide, Evangelion has religious symbols and naked people.

True. Infanticide is one thing, but naked peoples?! Actually, I don't recall any explicit nudity with the exception of the two movies (I find it hilarious how they added nipples to the Rei clones in DaR. That's a job I'd like to have.)

I recall a parent complaining to Cartoon Network about there being a Star of David on a slot machine in an episode of Tenchi Muyo (or whatever).
The purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog!

ObsessiveMathsFreak
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby ObsessiveMathsFreak » Sat Jul 02, 2005 8:53 pm

Sometimes I think there are people whos job it is to watch television 24 hours a day, and write complaints to broadcasters in a disturbingly successful attempt to censor society.
[Became an administrator on or before October 4th, 2007.]
May The Maths Be With You.

drinian
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby drinian » Sat Jul 02, 2005 8:58 pm

ObsessiveMathsFreak wrote:Sometimes I think there are people whos job it is to watch television 24 hours a day, and write complaints to broadcasters in a disturbingly successful attempt to censor society.

Well, Cartoon Network in the US is especially vulnerable to this, as there are certain expectations many people still have for a cartoon channel: they think that all cartoons are all-ages-appropriate. (Although *I* don't think a majority of CN's daytime stuff is fit for consumption by anybody, but, anyway...)

Even so, CN is only responsible to its advertisers. The FCC has no mandate to regulate cable TV (it's not a broadcast medium). The South Park movie has aired (starting at midnight) on Comedy Central with zero cuts or censored words.

RubberSoul
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby RubberSoul » Sat Jul 02, 2005 10:08 pm

Get ready for an influx of newbies. *Rolls ups sleeves* I am so looking foward to this. I'm optimistic about how it'll be edited. I mean I've seen Paranoia Agent in its entirety and that show had a lot of un-kid-friendly scenes. They also showed the beginning part of the third episode which had a woman sounding out a psuedo-orgasm. It was shown off-screen, but still, that's a huge leap in censorship on AS.
Last edited by RubberSoul on Sat Jul 02, 2005 10:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Toilet Duck
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Toilet Duck » Sat Jul 02, 2005 10:15 pm

Phaze wrote:True. Infanticide is one thing, but naked peoples?! Actually, I don't recall any explicit nudity with the exception of the two movies (I find it hilarious how they added nipples to the Rei clones in DaR. That's a job I'd like to have.)

the director's cut episodes, which i'd almost guarantee will not air due to length alone, had some scenes with nudity. also, as i recall, the Rei clones in episode 23 were nipple-less, but they had nipples in 23'.

and if it'll be completely uncut (not likely, but we can always hope...?), more power to them. i just hope they don't air it at 3 a.m. or some ungodly hour like that.
"Do you think Reis big giant head would be enough to make a nuclear winter?" --defectron

Being banned from GodTube = VICTOLY

MongolSquad
Matarael
Matarael

•      
  •      

Postby MongolSquad » Sat Jul 02, 2005 10:51 pm

If I remember correctly, you never really see the nipples, it's more of an implied nudity.

rb_182_
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby rb_182_ » Sun Jul 03, 2005 3:45 am

ok about the nipples, I have platinum 6 with episode 23 and 23'. and I used to have Death and Rebirth. ok in episode 23 they don't show the nipples, it's implied nudity. in 23' however, they show the nipples. and in death and rebirth once again they show the nipples. so if it's aired on TV there won't be any nipples to edit out since episode 23 didn't show them. And damn those angry close minded people that think just because a show is animated it's supposed to be some friendly family show like Madagascar and some of that other crap. it's because of them shows are so cencored on Tv :(
The Real Ending to Evangelion~~
Rei goes insane!!~~
~Rei is hope.. the hope that people will one day be able to understand each other, and Kaworu is the words... "I Love You". I think they are two beings that will always be watching over everything~

Mr. Bud
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Bud » Sun Jul 03, 2005 8:30 am

RubberSoul wrote:Get ready for an influx of newbies. *Rolls ups sleeves* I am so looking foward to this.

Heh. But I mean, you think the fan base will really get that much bigger? Evangelion's pretty mainstream as it is. With a huge fan base already.

Defectron
Tentacle Girl
Tentacle Girl

•      
  •      

Postby Defectron » Sun Jul 03, 2005 1:06 pm

If they try to show this on toonami like they did with those few episodes a couple years back I'm going to have to take out a six pack of woopass on them! So it'd better be on adult swim.

I can only imagine the horrible things that would happen to the show if they tried to put it on toonami :evil:
Parasite Galaxy: An experimental webcomic

http://www.parasitegalaxy.com/ Updates Monday and Thursday. Vote for me on top webcomics

If you want to support this comic buy something from me on amazon

rb_182_
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby rb_182_ » Sun Jul 03, 2005 2:35 pm

I didn't see it but I heard horror stories like Misato was drinking root beer instead of beer and she was wearing a swimsuit in the bathtub :lol: how dare they censor the great Misato!!
Rei goes insane!!~~
~Rei is hope.. the hope that people will one day be able to understand each other, and Kaworu is the words... "I Love You". I think they are two beings that will always be watching over everything~

Hunter21
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Hunter21 » Sun Jul 03, 2005 6:01 pm

When I hear things like that, I am glad I don't have cable anymore.

Considering what they did to the two episodes they did show, why would you want to watch any others they put on? Also remember that when they show it, it will be dubbed. So that already makes it not worth watching.
EVANGERIONANIME is stupid

Come Join the Sakaki Fan Club!

Remember you're on Evageeks, where preset personal delusions outweigh reality.

rb_182_
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby rb_182_ » Sun Jul 03, 2005 6:07 pm

Why is it not watching just because it's in english. I've never watched it in Japanese before. I've ONLY watched the dub. I'm used to it and it's fine to me. I don't get why people dont like it so much. I think it's waaaay better to actually watch it as you would like any other show, without having to read the whole show. plus the dub of end of evangelion rules. it's got swears in it and stuff, it makes it way cooler. LOL this is going to turn into a evangelion dub vs sub thing..
Rei goes insane!!~~

Defectron
Tentacle Girl
Tentacle Girl

•      
  •      

Postby Defectron » Sun Jul 03, 2005 6:12 pm

Why is it not watching just because it's in english. I've never watched it in Japanese before. I've ONLY watched the dub. I'm used to it and it's fine to me. I don't get why people dont like it so much. I think it's waaaay better to actually watch it as you would like any other show, without having to read the whole show. plus the dub of end of evangelion rules. it's got swears in it and stuff, it makes it way cooler. LOL this is going to turn into a evangelion dub vs sub thing..

Well its not the worse dub out there, but it's still got some problems in some areas where they change the meaning of something they translate. I don't hate it, I just prefer the subs over it because they tend to be more accurate and just plain like the Japanese voices better.

Considering what they did to the two episodes they did show, why would you want to watch any others they put on? Also remember that when they show it, it will be dubbed. So that already makes it not worth watching.

Because watching it will give me an excuse to go to my angry room and beat up the fools running cartoon network :twisted:

Although they didn't butcher flcl so there is hope....assuming they put it on adult swim anyway...

http://www.parasitegalaxy.com/ Updates Monday and Thursday. Vote for me on top webcomics

rb_182_
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby rb_182_ » Sun Jul 03, 2005 6:17 pm

Yeah I know they didn't translate it very well, from reading people's comments on message boards and stuff, but I just like to sit down and watch it in my own language better. but everyone has their own way of watching stuff.
Rei goes insane!!~~

Mr. Bud
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Bud » Sun Jul 03, 2005 7:13 pm

rob_of_the_genesis wrote:Yeah I know they didn't translate it very well, from reading people's comments on message boards and stuff, but I just like to sit down and watch it in my own language better. but everyone has their own way of watching stuff.

I've watched the whole series in English and Japanese and I thought they did a fine job with translation.

Well its not the worse dub out there, but it's still got some problems in some areas where they change the meaning of something they translate. I don't hate it, I just prefer the subs over it because they tend to be more accurate and just plain like the Japanese voices better.

To tell you the truth I thought the dub was pretty good. The two voices I actually like better in English were Gendo and Shinji.

Seriously. I thought Spike Spencer did a perfect voice for Shinji. If they could have some how fused Spencer's voice with Megumi Ogata's acting job it would have been perfect.
Last edited by Mr. Bud on Sun Jul 03, 2005 8:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Defectron
Tentacle Girl
Tentacle Girl

•      
  •      

Postby Defectron » Sun Jul 03, 2005 8:00 pm

To tell you the truth I thought the dub was pretty good. The two voices I actually like better in English were Gendo and Shinji.

I actually agree about Gendo, but I still like the Japanese Shinji voice better.

Return to “Everything Else Evangelion”