Go (Board Game)

Discussions about non-Evangelion related video games, board games, card games and gaming in general.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Ornette » Fri Aug 07, 2009 4:57 pm

Shinji-kun wrote:Are there any manditory commitments to using KGS, or can you play whenever you want?

It's free, but in order to maintain your ranking, you have to have a certain number of ranked games within the last few months. You don't even need to sign up, there's people in the IRC channel that I play against from time to time and they're logged in as guests. A guest won't be able to play ranked games (games that goes into the calculation of your ranking), and you're less likely to find people to play against since you don't have a rank, but you can at least play games. Most people on KGS will only play against someone with a rank because that gives them an idea of skill level. Ranks in Go start from maybe 30 kyu and go up to 1 kyu (lowest to highest), then from there, 1 dan to 9 dan (again lowest from highest). The difference between ranks are considered "1 stone". So if a 5k plays a 8k, the 5k person usually gives a 3 stone handicap, meaning black (the 8k ranked person) gets 3 stones on the board at the start of the game. Ranked games on KGS will only allow at most a 6 stone handicap.
Last edited by Ornette on Fri Aug 07, 2009 5:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

schismatics
Potential Pilot
Potential Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby schismatics » Fri Aug 07, 2009 5:00 pm

^ I meant buy as in physical copy but I'll keep all that in mind.

Shinji-kun
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Shinji-kun » Sat Aug 08, 2009 5:39 pm

Registered. Im Shirotsugh

Rabid-Sachiel
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby Rabid-Sachiel » Tue Aug 11, 2009 8:12 am

I registered as well. I'm Tabris. My ranking is 16k.
MAL

"Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds" -Albert Einstein

BiQ
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

•      
  •      

Postby BiQ » Thu Jul 23, 2015 4:44 am

Aaaand necroing a thread.

Yup. I started playing go in 2002, after reading Hikaru no Go first time. :lol: Then I played for few years in university go club and KGS. I left the game for some years after that (and having a losing streak that soured it for me).

This spring I got around watching the HnG anime and re-reading the manga, and actually buying the manga too. Now I have been playing on KGS, IGS and OGS. The ogs is very nice, it works in browser without Flash or Java plugins, you can quickly get a match and also watch multiple games at a same time. I'm currenty 11k-12k KGS, 14k OGS and 14k? in IGS. I use the same nick everywhere than I do here.

Anyone else from evageeks playing Go nowadays?
The art of being grown up, the dirty little secret nobody lets on about, is that it's all about getting comfortable with acting the part, and reaching that point where you stop giving a fuck, and do stuff that needs to be done, because it just needs doing, and ain't nobody else going to do it for you. -Mr. Tines

Return to “Video Games and Gaming”