Toji's Attire

For serious and at times in-depth discussions only.

Moderator: Board Staff

Grand Duke of Yashima
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby Grand Duke of Yashima » Mon Jul 28, 2014 10:10 pm

I remember a friend of mine saying that the Tracksuit is something of a joke for the Japanese, usually in reference to the rather tacky styles of Japanese living in rural or less developed (meaning not Tokyo) areas.

If you ever saw the film Kamakaze Girls, there's a joke about Amagaski, the minor city that the film takes place in, and how nearly all of the inhabitants wear tracksuits for nearly all of their lives. While Toji is supposed to be from Kansai there's an inference via the tracksuit that he's a bit of a "hick" compared to the others at Tokyo-3.
EVA Fan Fiction: The Blue Rose Saga

http://www.boyfriendofsteel.com

https://www.facebook.com/EvangelionTheBlueRose

"The power of the Evangelion is the power of love"

SuperUltraMecha
Embryo

Why does Toji wear jogging clothes in a endless summer?

•      
  •      

Postby SuperUltraMecha » Sun Feb 26, 2017 1:46 pm

And we never see him actually sweat or anything, sure you could say that because of his darker skin, he's not that affected by it. But this is a constant heat created by Second Impact, also Shinji's school has a dress code, so how come he doesn't get in trouble?

Seriously this is something that has always bugged me about EVA.

The Eva Monkey
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Re: Why does Toji wear jogging clothes in a endless summer?

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey » Sun Feb 26, 2017 2:14 pm

View Original PostSuperUltraMecha wrote:Seriously this is something that has always bugged me about EVA.

Me as well. See my initial post for a somewhat detailed examination of his attire:

post/266382/Tojis-Attire/#266382

Best guess, he's the captain of the basketball team, and he's permitted to wear it whenever he wants because "school spirit" and either they never bothered to make that fact clear, or we were just expected to understand it.

Maybe we should try to ask Yoshiyuki Sadamoto on Twitter?
Webmaster, Eva Monkey; Co-founder, administrator emeritus, Eva Geeks; Moderator, r/evangelion

Check out my YouTube channel. All Eva, all the time.

SoryuUberAlles
Clockiel
Clockiel

Re: Toji's Attire

•      
  •      

Postby SoryuUberAlles » Sun Feb 26, 2017 5:01 pm

I'll just add that the Toji character in the proposal was identified as a person who doesn't like to play sports

Could it not be, like, a...winter gym outfit? You can't wear shorts and a shirt all year round.
"You're just turning this into a mixture of gibberish and fan service! That's not the Evangelion I know!" - An Asuka, one of many.

Return to “Evangelion Discussion”