Toji's Attire

For serious and at times in-depth discussions only, covering the original TV series, the movies End of Evangelion and Death & Rebirth.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
ran1
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby ran1 » Mon Feb 15, 2010 1:00 pm

The Eva Monkey wrote:I still think it's pretty awesome that the token jock hangs out with the token nerd. What a pair.

Well, there's an oversimplification. Judging by the amount of character development that Toji had, I don't think we have to neccessarily relegate him to the token jock hamper just yet.
Punished "Venom" Ran1
Vanity of Vanities
Every post in Evageeks automaticaly becomes masturbatory material. It's nothing new. ~Justcrazyguy
Ran's persistent irony is a coping mechanism he uses to try and create some understanding of his paradoxical attraction to and disgust of the elitist bourgeois slaughterhouse in which he's forever trapped. --Muggy

MugwumpHasNoLiver
Erotic Humiliation
Erotic Humiliation

•      
  •      

Postby MugwumpHasNoLiver » Thu Feb 18, 2010 8:23 am

Even with Toji's extra pot relevance, you can still summarize his character in one sentence. Instead of just being a 'token jock' he's a 'Token jock with a righteous big brother instinct who goes from comic relief to drama fuel when he resentfully pilots a doomed robot and looses a leg, also he wears a track suit and despite being really hot-headed the stuck up class rep totally wants to take a ride on his disco stick'. He's not noticeably more complex than Kensuke, who no one's arguing against being the token nerd. Although to be fair, we can call Kensuke the 'Token nerd with a military fetish who wants to pilot the doomed robot, but doesn't, then cries about it, also he wears glasses, stays comic relief and no one wants to bang him, but he likes to go camping sometimes and he's probably the single most pointless character on the show'.

You know what, now that I've written this out, I change my mind.
"Now, from Nature we obtain abundant information about ourselves, and precious little about others. About the woman you clasp in your arms, can you say with certainty that she does not feign pleasure? About the woman you mistreat, are you quite sure that from abuse she does not derive some obscure and lascivious satisfaction? Let us confine ourselves to simple evidence: through thoughtfulness, gentleness, concern for the feelings of others we saddle our own pleasure with restrictions, and make this sacrifice to obtain a doubtful result." -The Divine Marquis

"I agree Hans, but we have talked about those anal fisting analogies." -Werner Herzog

AuraTwilight
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby AuraTwilight » Thu Feb 18, 2010 12:20 pm

he's probably the single most pointless character on the show'.

I'm pretty sure that's equally applicable for Hikari, who doesn't do shit. Kensuke's atleast someone Shinji can talk to on a relatively healthy level.
J_Faulkner, be warned that some of your statements could be construed as ad hominem attacks. -- Priceless, eternal irony

Anno has perfected the side boob --Gendo'sPapa

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey » Thu Feb 18, 2010 12:27 pm

MugwumpHasNoLiver wrote:Kensuke... (is) probably the single most pointless character on the show'.

Three words: Jet Alone guy.

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Thu Feb 18, 2010 1:09 pm

Bah, the pencil snapping general and friends from ep 1 are even more pointless.
Rest In Peace ~ 1978 - 2017
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf
"I think internet message boards and the like are dangerous." - Anno

MugwumpHasNoLiver
Erotic Humiliation
Erotic Humiliation

•      
  •      

Postby MugwumpHasNoLiver » Thu Feb 18, 2010 1:45 pm

I should have added a disclaimer saying single most pointless main character, but I didn't, and as such deserve everything I get.

AuraTwilight wrote:I'm pretty sure that's equally applicable for Hikari, who doesn't do shit. Kensuke's at least someone Shinji can talk to on a relatively healthy level.

Yeah, but not only does Hikari want to bang Toji, she's also the only person Asuka can talk to on a relatively healthy level. They're both pretty near the bottom, though.
"Now, from Nature we obtain abundant information about ourselves, and precious little about others. About the woman you clasp in your arms, can you say with certainty that she does not feign pleasure? About the woman you mistreat, are you quite sure that from abuse she does not derive some obscure and lascivious satisfaction? Let us confine ourselves to simple evidence: through thoughtfulness, gentleness, concern for the feelings of others we saddle our own pleasure with restrictions, and make this sacrifice to obtain a doubtful result." -The Divine Marquis

"I agree Hans, but we have talked about those anal fisting analogies." -Werner Herzog

VoidEater
Matarael
Matarael

•      
  •      

Postby VoidEater » Thu Feb 18, 2010 2:39 pm

I find Toji-relevence perhaps because I was the token nerd that hung out with the token jock all through college. Yes, we were quite a pair. ;-)
"I would like to see a clown remake of 'Terms of Endearment' or 'The Thorn Birds.' Or maybe a big disaster movie, like 'Towering Inferno.' That's stuff I'd pay to see. Nothing says entertainment more than burning clowns."

thewayneiac
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby thewayneiac » Thu Feb 18, 2010 8:02 pm

NemZ wrote:Bah, the pencil snapping general and friends from ep 1 are even more pointless.

Yeah, but the disapearing cigarette general from Ep. 11, is even more pointless than the pencil snapping general from Ep. 01.
Rejoice, glory is ours. Our young men have not died in vain. Their graves need no flowers. The tapes have recorded their names.
I am all there is.
Negative! Primative! Limited! I let you live.
But I gave you life.
What else could you do?
To do what was right.
I'm perfect, are you?

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Thu Feb 18, 2010 8:12 pm

thewayneiac wrote:Yeah, but the disapearing cigarette general from Ep. 11, is even more pointless than the pencil snapping general from Ep. 01.

I think they're the same person.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

Sharaz Destler
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby Sharaz Destler » Fri Feb 19, 2010 1:20 pm

The Eva Monkey wrote:Or perhaps the Japanese of the future are big wussies and let their students do as they please.

Or, in the EVAverse, the schools don't really cling to any rules because they're operated by NERV, and therefore just a 'formality' if you will. It's only really designed to keep a steady flow of EVA pilots, but that's probably just what middle-management at NERV thinks, 'cause they don't know the real truth.
"To the rational mind, nothing is inexplicable...only unexplained."--The Doctor, "Doctor Who".

AuraTwilight
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby AuraTwilight » Fri Feb 19, 2010 2:05 pm

Yeah, but not only does Hikari want to bang Toji, she's also the only person Asuka can talk to on a relatively healthy level. They're both pretty near the bottom, though.

Hikari's a side character to a side character either way. Even Kensuke atleast gets to talk to the protagonist.

By the way, has Hikari ever been to Misato's apartment? Because if not, that's another thing Kensuke has over the bitch.
J_Faulkner, be warned that some of your statements could be construed as ad hominem attacks. -- Priceless, eternal irony

Anno has perfected the side boob --Gendo'sPapa

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Fri Feb 19, 2010 3:37 pm

she was there for the synchro training and for Misato's promotion party, both of which Kensuke also attended (and he planned the latter).
Rest In Peace ~ 1978 - 2017
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf
"I think internet message boards and the like are dangerous." - Anno

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Ornette » Fri Feb 19, 2010 4:19 pm

Asuka's a side character now?

Kensuke and Hikari are both supporting cast. This thread is supposed to be about Toji's attire.

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey » Sun Jul 20, 2014 10:49 am

Any newcomers should read my original post.

I was reminded of this thread, and when I was searching for it, I cam across this post from the old Eva mailing list:

[url]http://eva.onegeek.org/pipermail/oldeva/1997-November/001038.html[/url]

Hi,this is TAKEUCHI "Seiya Otaku" Shouichi writing...

Patrick Yip <Patrick> wrote :
>
>## Honestly speaking, it is quite a "frequently asked question" (FAQ-keeper,

Oops, even among Japanese fans, it was NOT taken as a FAQ ...

>## take note), but this is never answered in the anime. Perhaps the school
>## allows students to wear that as uniform, but since in the EVA-world it
>## is always summer, naturally few would choose to wear that as uniform.
>## Just a guess.
>

Jersey is a gym-uniform for winter. There has been another school uniform called
"tsume-eri".

My guess is Touji was originally a transfer student from Kansai area to Tokyo-2
so that he did NOT have to wear the school wear of the junior high TIL he would
get his one, and somehow came to take it as a vested right.

Regards,
Takeuchi Shouichi(Seiya Otaku)
Editor of Neon Genesis Evangelion FAQ
Translator of Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers FAQ (E -> J)

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Thu Jul 24, 2014 9:57 am

I have never understood why this is a thing. Between the fact that this is common in anime, the obvious comparison to varsity jackets in the States, the fact that many schools have multiple uniforms, and the fact he might have been a transfer student (as noted above) his tracksuit doesn't strike me as particularly noteworthy.
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

•      
  •      

Postby ElMariachi » Thu Jul 24, 2014 10:13 am

What I found noteworthy is that the guy is wearing a winter gym-uniform in a Japan perpetually in summer! :cringe:
Did he lived in the Sahara before transferring or what?
Avatar: THE HIGHEST OF ALL HIGHS WE AAAAAAAAAARE!!!
Kensuke is a military otaku who, at one point, is shown creepily taking pictures of girls to sell. He would clearly fit right in as an animator at Studio Gainax. -- Compiling_Autumn
EoTV is a therapist, EoE is a drill instructor. -- Chuckman
Seriously, that is the most fananked theory I've ever heard, more than Mari being Marty McFly travelling through time to keep her parents (Asushin) together. -- Jäeger

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Thu Jul 24, 2014 10:15 am

View Original PostElMariachi wrote:What I found noteworthy is that the guy is wearing a winter gym-uniform in a Japan perpetually in summer! :cringe:

That is admittedly odd. But in fairness, Misato also wears a jacket (a leather one!) as part of her standard uniform, so people in Tokyo-3 in general clearly haven't thought this through.
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

•      
  •      

Postby ElMariachi » Thu Jul 24, 2014 10:19 am

But the red jacked is part of her uniform, she can't discard it (how do we now it's in leather btw?), and supposedly both her car and NERV HQ have a good air conditioning (I just can't think of any other explanation of how Gendo would still be alive with his jacket and turtleneck otherwise!), but Touji spends his day in school or playing outside with his friends.
Avatar: THE HIGHEST OF ALL HIGHS WE AAAAAAAAAARE!!!
Kensuke is a military otaku who, at one point, is shown creepily taking pictures of girls to sell. He would clearly fit right in as an animator at Studio Gainax. -- Compiling_Autumn
EoTV is a therapist, EoE is a drill instructor. -- Chuckman
Seriously, that is the most fananked theory I've ever heard, more than Mari being Marty McFly travelling through time to keep her parents (Asushin) together. -- Jäeger

ObsessiveMathsFreak
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby ObsessiveMathsFreak » Thu Jul 24, 2014 6:42 pm

View Original PostThe Eva Monkey wrote:I still think it's pretty awesome that the token jock hangs out with the token nerd. What a pair.

I get the very strong impression that Toji and Kensuke knew one another from primary school. Though this directly contradicts Seiya Otaku's opinion that he has -- like Shinji -- transferred into Tokyo-3 from elsewhere.

The "laxity" of Toji's uniform could actually go back to the general "laxity" of the education of Class 2-A in general. As has been noted in earlier threads, most of the school has been evacuated, with perhaps only the Eva candidate remaining. And these with only a drafted in retiree with short memory and an one track educational mind left behind to teach them. (Hikari is practically the only person keeping the ship afloat).

Another point which could be brought up is Toji's special circumstances at home. His mother is dead, his father and grandfather work at the lab, and he alone is able to visit his sister in hospital -- she never recovers in NGE. Toji may be afforded special dispensation on account of his needing to travel/run back and forth from the hospital each day. On a related, altogether more banal note, his now all presumably all male household may have gone to complete rack and ruin and he is unable to obtain a clean uniform most days.

Two last possibilitys are that a) Toji is a member of the sports (basketball) team and trains frequently enough in the week to warrant a sports uniform, or an outside chance of b) Toji is unable to afford a regular school uniform 5 days a week, though since both his father and grandfather work "in the lab" I think this is rather unlikely.
[Became an administrator on or before October 4th, 2007.]
May The Maths Be With You.

Ieyasu
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby Ieyasu » Thu Jul 24, 2014 9:29 pm

View Original PostElMariachi wrote:What I found noteworthy is that the guy is wearing a winter gym-uniform in a Japan perpetually in summer! :cringe:

Heh, true; I was in the Sahara myself some years back and given about three weeks, you acclimate. No longer feel the heat like a person fresh to it. You come back from that to regular summer elsewhere and shiver your nuts off.

I don't know what the climate was meant to be like in Evangelion other than I assume it's like... global warming gone rampant or something, due to reasons, and everyone's sort of acclimated in the same way. At first I wondered why everyone would be wearing regular clothes, or why Toji would be wearing this get-up, as it would surely be really uncomfortable. But I guess I can attest to the fact you do get used to it. I saw people in the desert wandering around wearing wool hats and sweaters and all kinds in the sun because they just didn't feel it like I did.

Return to “Evangelion TV Series + EoE Discussion”