Toji's Attire

For serious and at times in-depth discussions only, covering the original TV series, the movies End of Evangelion and Death & Rebirth.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
AuraTwilight
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby AuraTwilight » Mon Aug 03, 2009 3:12 pm

Joseph the PRPD wrote:Because Toji is a bad ass who doesn't play by the rules.

Which makes him hot, and thus moe.

I win, Tines.

VoidEater
Matarael
Matarael

•      
  •      

Postby VoidEater » Mon Aug 03, 2009 3:23 pm

It is not explicated in the series (I've looked for specific references in one of my more recent viewings of the series). It seems non-expositional (nonverbal) communication of character.

It is likely showing Toji's lack of identification as "one of the masses", symbol for toughness and rebellion and outward focus, and to identify him as teh Jock.
"I would like to see a clown remake of 'Terms of Endearment' or 'The Thorn Birds.' Or maybe a big disaster movie, like 'Towering Inferno.' That's stuff I'd pay to see. Nothing says entertainment more than burning clowns."

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey » Mon Aug 03, 2009 3:30 pm

Joseph the PRPD wrote:Because Toji is a bad ass who doesn't play by the rules.

If that were the case, in Japan's school system, he would spend a lot more time than is shown in the series (READ: NONE) holding buckets of water outside the classroom. Or perhaps the Japanese of the future are big wussies and let their students do as they please. If that were the case, how come Toji is the only student out of uniform? Even the newcomers Shinji and Asuka manged to get with the program from day one.

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Mon Aug 03, 2009 10:24 pm

It's because black is slimming. Shinji's pretty cherubic in some episodes of NGE. I can't recall that with Touji.

Monk Ed
Sunshine Administrator
Sunshine Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Monk Ed » Mon Aug 03, 2009 10:54 pm

AuraTwilight wrote:Which makes him hot, and thus moe.

That pic of him taking it off, revealing a tank top underneath, and that look in his eye... 100% sex-a machine-a.
System Administrator
"NGE is like a perfectly improvised jazz piece. It builds on a standard and then plays off it from there, and its developments may occasionally recall what it's done before as a way of keeping the whole concatenated." -- Eva Yojimbo
"To me watching anime is not just for killing time or entertainment, it is a life style, and a healthy one too." -- symbv
"That sounds like the kind of science that makes absolutely 0 sense when you stop and think about it... I LOVE IT." -- Rosenakahara

MugwumpHasNoLiver
Erotic Humiliation
Erotic Humiliation

•      
  •      

Postby MugwumpHasNoLiver » Tue Aug 04, 2009 1:06 am

Monk Ed wrote:That pic of him taking it off, revealing a tank top underneath, and that look in his eye... 100% sex-a machine-a.

Glad I'm not the only one who thought so. :chuckles:
"Now, from Nature we obtain abundant information about ourselves, and precious little about others. About the woman you clasp in your arms, can you say with certainty that she does not feign pleasure? About the woman you mistreat, are you quite sure that from abuse she does not derive some obscure and lascivious satisfaction? Let us confine ourselves to simple evidence: through thoughtfulness, gentleness, concern for the feelings of others we saddle our own pleasure with restrictions, and make this sacrifice to obtain a doubtful result." -The Divine Marquis

"I agree Hans, but we have talked about those anal fisting analogies." -Werner Herzog

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey » Tue Aug 04, 2009 6:45 am

Guys, I'd like to remind you that this thread is in the Discussion forum, not the Chit Chat forum. Your answers should be generally serious and constructive.

VoidEater
Matarael
Matarael

•      
  •      

Postby VoidEater » Tue Aug 04, 2009 6:14 pm

The Eva Monkey wrote:Or perhaps the Japanese of the future are big wussies and let their students do as they please.

I suspect it's soomething along the lines of expected behavior versus allowed behavior. If so, Toji knows where the "real" line (where the authorities will take action) is and makes a statement outside of "polite" norms.
"I would like to see a clown remake of 'Terms of Endearment' or 'The Thorn Birds.' Or maybe a big disaster movie, like 'Towering Inferno.' That's stuff I'd pay to see. Nothing says entertainment more than burning clowns."

Monk Ed
Sunshine Administrator
Sunshine Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Monk Ed » Tue Aug 04, 2009 6:50 pm

The Eva Monkey wrote:Or perhaps the Japanese of the future are big wussies and let their students do as they please.

That is the most likely. I've read an article on Japanese suicide culture, in Atlantic Monthly, and for part of it they interviewed Hideaki Anno. He comments with disdain that there are no adults left in Japan; it's just a country of children, in his eyes, and it has been ever since its spirit was crushed in World War 2. Grown men do things like read hentai manga on a public train, he explains. The Japan of NGE is this in an even more exaggerated form, where the people have lost hope in any kind of better tomorrow and let themselves fall into childish depravity and irresponsible behavior. That's why "anywhere can be heaven if you have the will to live" is supposed to resonate even more profoundly with the Japanese audience.
System Administrator
"NGE is like a perfectly improvised jazz piece. It builds on a standard and then plays off it from there, and its developments may occasionally recall what it's done before as a way of keeping the whole concatenated." -- Eva Yojimbo
"To me watching anime is not just for killing time or entertainment, it is a life style, and a healthy one too." -- symbv
"That sounds like the kind of science that makes absolutely 0 sense when you stop and think about it... I LOVE IT." -- Rosenakahara

I Accidentally Dracula
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby I Accidentally Dracula » Thu Aug 06, 2009 2:39 pm

He's secretly a Power Ranger.

Remember how their street clothes always matched their Zord colors?
"I was God once."
-"Yes, I saw. You were doing well until everyone died."

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey » Thu Aug 06, 2009 2:55 pm

I Accidentally Dracula wrote:He's secretly a Power Ranger.

Remember how their street clothes always matched their Zord colors?

The Eva Monkey wrote:Guys, I'd like to remind you that this thread is in the Discussion forum, not the Chit Chat forum. Your answers should be generally serious and constructive.

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey » Sat Feb 13, 2010 11:48 pm

It's been 6 months, I think I will give this topic a bump, maybe someone has thought about this once or more since this thread was active, and perhaps some newcomers would enjoy scratching their heads about this detail I've been curious about for years.

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Sat Feb 13, 2010 11:58 pm

The 'because badass' is the only answer I can think of. Yes he should be getting in trouble for it, but oh well.
Rest In Peace ~ 1978 - 2017
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf
"I think internet message boards and the like are dangerous." - Anno

planet news
Armisael
Armisael

•      
  •      

Postby planet news » Sun Feb 14, 2010 12:10 am

Did they not give Rei red eyes because she lacked further distinguishing characteristics?

Thus jacket.
"Crab People, look like crab, talk like people. Crab people . . ."

ran1
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby ran1 » Sun Feb 14, 2010 8:18 am

Toji has the kind of attitude where he likes to bring attention to himself by being boorish and a "tough guy". The jacket, signifying him as different, amplifies this persona.

Or, like in my high school, uniforms are usually strictly enforced (sport coats, collared shirts, khakis, etc.) but the various team captains get to wear their varsity jackets the day that they have a big game. Its probably something like that.
Punished "Venom" Ran1
Vanity of Vanities
Every post in Evageeks automaticaly becomes masturbatory material. It's nothing new. ~Justcrazyguy
Ran's persistent irony is a coping mechanism he uses to try and create some understanding of his paradoxical attraction to and disgust of the elitist bourgeois slaughterhouse in which he's forever trapped. --Muggy

Seph
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Seph » Sun Feb 14, 2010 12:59 pm

Aren't Japanese students allowed to wear either their ordinary uniform or their gym uniform? If so, he simply prefers his gym uniform.

Merridian
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Merridian » Sun Feb 14, 2010 2:06 pm

^track suit =/= gym uniform

I'd say it's simply used to visually offset him from Kensuke's geekishness. Nothing says "pubescent jock rebel James Dean badass" like a jacket, much less a track suit. A full (red! :D) leather jacket would have been a bit too much, though. Considering it's often paired with Kensuke's (and Shinji's) button down boring white shirt & black slacks, I'd say it's primarily used to further embellish his character.

Baz
Leliel
Leliel

•      
  •      

Postby Baz » Mon Feb 15, 2010 9:34 am

The basketball team's uniform and the school gym uniform are two different things. Toji probably just likes wearing his team uniform all the time. As for the lack of the team name or emblems on the suit, they are probably just not shown due to the extra animation costs that would be required.
Software Error. Press left mouse button to continue.
Guru Meditation #00000004.0000AAC0

Rodeo
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby Rodeo » Mon Feb 15, 2010 12:25 pm

The Eva Monkey wrote:If that were the case, in Japan's school system, he would spend a lot more time than is shown in the series (READ: NONE) holding buckets of water outside the classroom. Or perhaps the Japanese of the future are big wussies and let their students do as they please. If that were the case, how come Toji is the only student out of uniform? Even the newcomers Shinji and Asuka manged to get with the program from day one.

Their homeroom teacher doesn't even notice that the entire class goes hoopla over Shinji in episode 3 while he's in the middle of teaching made-up history. They might be trying to tell us that the school isn't in the best of conditions.
When Anno says Evangelion takes place in "a world where the people have gotten used to the ressurection-yet still feel the end of the world is destined to come", the school is at least what I think of.

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey » Mon Feb 15, 2010 12:32 pm

Baz wrote:The basketball team's uniform and the school gym uniform are two different things. Toji probably just likes wearing his team uniform all the time. As for the lack of the team name or emblems on the suit, they are probably just not shown due to the extra animation costs that would be required.

That's probably the case, I can corroborate that wearing activity/sports uniforms (school spirit) is an acceptable alternate to the standard uniform.

I guess the outfit signifies the obvious, he's the token jock.

I still think it's pretty awesome that the token jock hangs out with the token nerd. What a pair.

Return to “Evangelion TV Series + EoE Discussion”