Toji's Attire

For serious and at times in-depth discussions only.

Moderator: Board Staff

The Eva Monkey
Administrator
Administrator
User avatar
Posts: 8813
Joined: Jun 14, 2004
Location: The Evanets.
Gender: Male
Contact:

Toji's Attire

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby The Eva Monkey » Sun Aug 02, 2009 12:38 pm

Some friends and I had a small Rebuild of Evangelion 1.0 viewing last night, and a question was posed that I've been curious about, but have never been able to answer. And to my knowledge, a definitive answer has never been issued.

Why does Toji always wear a black track suit?

Image

Quite often, people refer to it as his "gym uniform", however, he has been shown in his gym uniform with everyone else, which doesn't resemble his track suit in the slightest.

Image

Also, some production illustrations show us that he wears a tank top underneath, again, unrelated to the gym uniform.

ImageImage

His track suit can't possibly be his winter uniform, as he is shown in his winter uniform in his student formal picture.

Image

And it's not like he doesn't have a standard school uniform, as there has been at least one episode where he sports the usual outfit just like Shinji and Kensuke.

Image

But generally, he wears the same track suit all the time, and in standard anime fashion, he even sports it when he's not even at school.

Image

Image

The only other detail I can currently glean from the show or the production details is that in the original Sadamoto illustration of him, his outfit has an additional detail on the chest, which I am totally unfamiliar with.

Image

The only obvious thing that can be pulled from his attire is that it is visually similar to and foreshadows his selection as the pilot of Eva Unit 03.

Image

In summary, I'm still confused, and have no clue.

Image

Can we put our heads together, and figure out what the hell this track suit that Toji wears is, and what it means, if anything?

Axell
Lilin
Lilin
User avatar
Age: 27
Posts: 1618
Joined: Jul 30, 2008
Location: What are you a stalker?
Gender: Male

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Axell » Sun Aug 02, 2009 1:07 pm

I'm probably making this up, but was it mentioned that he decides to wear that instead of the school uniform?

ath
Clockiel
Clockiel
User avatar
Age: 33
Posts: 406
Joined: Jun 13, 2009
Gender: Male
Contact:

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby ath » Sun Aug 02, 2009 1:45 pm

A Fila sport jacket, as we see in episode 4 ;)

The Eva Monkey
Administrator
Administrator
User avatar
Posts: 8813
Joined: Jun 14, 2004
Location: The Evanets.
Gender: Male
Contact:

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby The Eva Monkey » Sun Aug 02, 2009 1:54 pm

Axell wrote:I'm probably making this up, but was it mentioned that he decides to wear that instead of the school uniform?

Nope. Never addressed at any point in anything that I'm familiar with. And as it deviates from the uniform, there has to be a reason why it would be permissible for him to wear it instead of the standard uniform.

The closest lead I could ever find was that there was a character in the abysmally terrible anime for Voltage Fighters Gowcaizer that wore what was more or less a white version of the outfit that Toji wears. It was explained as a "white lotus", which had some significance for being a signifier for delinquence, a sort of dunce cap. But it's been a while, so I may be fudging the particulars. And I don't know if it's related to Toji's uniform.

ath wrote:A Fila sport jacket, as we see in episode 4 ;)

Is there a particular comment that I'm missing?

It's more than just a sport jacket, the pants are non-standard, as is the tank top underneath.

ath
Clockiel
Clockiel
User avatar
Age: 33
Posts: 406
Joined: Jun 13, 2009
Gender: Male
Contact:

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby ath » Sun Aug 02, 2009 2:28 pm

The Eva Monkey wrote:Is there a particular comment that I'm missing?

It's more than just a sport jacket, the pants are non-standard, as is the tank top underneath.

Sorry, it was just a stupid observation. I was actually surprised to find a real brand name on his jacket... but well, I used to drive a Fila-branded car back in the day :toothy:

AuraTwilight
Evangelion
Evangelion
User avatar
Posts: 3294
Joined: Mar 16, 2008
Location: Za Warudo

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby AuraTwilight » Sun Aug 02, 2009 2:32 pm

It's just what he likes to wear, brah.

The Eva Monkey
Administrator
Administrator
User avatar
Posts: 8813
Joined: Jun 14, 2004
Location: The Evanets.
Gender: Male
Contact:

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby The Eva Monkey » Sun Aug 02, 2009 2:39 pm

ath wrote:Fila

I don't remember ever seeing a brand name on his outfit, I'll have to dig up a screen shot or two in regards to that.

skikes
Israfel
Israfel
User avatar
Age: 28
Posts: 477
Joined: Jan 05, 2006
Location: Dublin, Ireland
Gender: Male

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby skikes » Sun Aug 02, 2009 2:48 pm

i always wondered this myself. When you go back and re watch eva, the episode were he does wear his standard uniform stands out like sore thumb.

i think the simple explanation to this is just to give a little visual variety, i mean thats the only reason they gave Rei blue hair and red eyes. No real thought went behind it before they went ahead and done it.
What if I don't want to live in the real world?

The Eva Monkey
Administrator
Administrator
User avatar
Posts: 8813
Joined: Jun 14, 2004
Location: The Evanets.
Gender: Male
Contact:

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby The Eva Monkey » Sun Aug 02, 2009 3:12 pm

skikes wrote:i mean [visual variety is] the only reason they gave Rei blue hair and red eyes.

Off topic: Come now, that's not the only reason. :tongue:

skikes wrote:i think the simple explanation to this is just to give a little visual variety

I will agree, visuals did play a role in the design, after all you can't deny that it bears an uncanny resemblance to Unit-03's design. However I disagree that variety was a primary motivating factor in the design. It just doesn't seem to fit.

I think there's still something lost in translation. Something that will likely prove to be minute and unimportant to the character and to the greater story, but still, something that will make you say "Huh, that's interesting". I'd like to find out what that is. The only question is, where do we start?

Allemann
Lilin
Lilin
Age: 29
Posts: 1779
Joined: Jun 26, 2009
Location: Europe

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Allemann » Sun Aug 02, 2009 4:00 pm

He's a jock.

MugwumpHasNoLiver
Erotic Humiliation
Erotic Humiliation
User avatar
Age: 27
Posts: 3139
Joined: Jan 17, 2009
Location: Chicago, IL
Gender: Male

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby MugwumpHasNoLiver » Sun Aug 02, 2009 10:42 pm

Allemann wrote:He's a jock.


This. I always thought the tracksuit was the sole identifier for Toji being a little jock boy. It doesn't really come up much, so they had to rub it in our faces somehow.

I must've not been paying attention, but when Asuka calls him a dumb jock in episode 17 it took me completely off guard. Since when is he a jock? I thought. Then he's seen playing basketball at the end.

So yeah.
Last edited by MugwumpHasNoLiver on Sun Aug 02, 2009 11:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Now, from Nature we obtain abundant information about ourselves, and precious little about others. About the woman you clasp in your arms, can you say with certainty that she does not feign pleasure? About the woman you mistreat, are you quite sure that from abuse she does not derive some obscure and lascivious satisfaction? Let us confine ourselves to simple evidence: through thoughtfulness, gentleness, concern for the feelings of others we saddle our own pleasure with restrictions, and make this sacrifice to obtain a doubtful result." -The Divine Marquis

"I agree Hans, but we have talked about those anal fisting analogies." -Werner Herzog

skikes
Israfel
Israfel
User avatar
Age: 28
Posts: 477
Joined: Jan 05, 2006
Location: Dublin, Ireland
Gender: Male

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby skikes » Sun Aug 02, 2009 11:27 pm

How funny, i typed basketball tracksuit into google and look what came up...

Image

guess it was a simple question after all.
What if I don't want to live in the real world?

Allemann
Lilin
Lilin
Age: 29
Posts: 1779
Joined: Jun 26, 2009
Location: Europe

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Allemann » Mon Aug 03, 2009 12:51 am

MugwumpHasNoLiver wrote:
Allemann wrote:He's a jock.


This. I always thought the tracksuit was the sole identifier for Toji being a little jock boy. It doesn't really come up much, so they had to rub it in our faces somehow.

I must've not been paying attention, but when Asuka calls him a dumb jock in episode 17 it took me completely off guard. Since when is he a jock? I thought. Then he's seen playing basketball at the end.

So yeah.


And in the typical jock fashion, he beats up Shinji, the quintessential nerd (minus the bad grades).

The Goose
Matarael
Matarael
Posts: 570
Joined: Dec 03, 2006
Gender: Male

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby The Goose » Mon Aug 03, 2009 1:13 am

Allemann wrote:He's a jock.


Yeah, I would say the reason he always wears it is because the creators wanted to show that hes the "tough jock no nonsense guy who does what he wants and wears with what he wants."

Allemann
Lilin
Lilin
Age: 29
Posts: 1779
Joined: Jun 26, 2009
Location: Europe

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Allemann » Mon Aug 03, 2009 1:27 am

The Goose wrote:
Allemann wrote:He's a jock.


Yeah, I would say the reason he always wears it is because the creators wanted to show that hes the "tough jock no nonsense guy who does what he wants and wears with what he wants."


And he's thick as shit. Doesn't get that Hikari has a thing for him.

Sachi
Oh Daddy!
Oh Daddy!
User avatar
Age: 24
Posts: 9892
Joined: Aug 29, 2006
Location: Hollywoo
Gender: Male

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Sachi » Mon Aug 03, 2009 1:42 am

Allemann wrote:And he's thick as shit. Doesn't get that Hikari has a thing for him.

Yet he can tell Rei has a thing for Shinji?
"Chaos is merely a human construct. The world only knows its own natural law of harmony and order."
"So you are saying it's the human heart that throws the world into confusion."

Monk Ed
Sunshine Administrator
Sunshine Administrator
User avatar
Age: 32
Posts: 8487
Joined: Jul 12, 2008
Location: Chicagoland area
Gender: Male

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Monk Ed » Mon Aug 03, 2009 3:44 am

Sachi_13 wrote:
Allemann wrote:And he's thick as shit. Doesn't get that Hikari has a thing for him.

Yet he can tell Rei has a thing for Shinji?

Some things are more obvious when seen from without.
System Administrator, Thread Surgeon General, Default Complaint Receptacle
"NGE is like a perfectly improvised jazz piece. It builds on a standard and then plays off it from there, and its developments may occasionally recall what it's done before as a way of keeping the whole concatenated." -- Eva Yojimbo
"To me watching anime is not just for killing time or entertainment, it is a life style, and a healthy one too." -- symbv
"That sounds like the kind of science that makes absolutely 0 sense when you stop and think about it... I LOVE IT." -- Rosenakahara

TheLobe
Sachiel
User avatar
Posts: 245
Joined: Apr 05, 2009
Location: Australia

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby TheLobe » Mon Aug 03, 2009 3:48 am

It's a kind of school uniform. my school has something similar, and i've seen it in anime's before. for instance if anyones seen TMOHS, in the sport episode the wear red and blue tracksuits before the game and real sport uniforms after.

LiLi
Lilin
Lilin
User avatar
Posts: 1907
Joined: Jun 20, 2009
Location: Osaka-fu
Gender: Female
Contact:

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby LiLi » Mon Aug 03, 2009 4:01 am

...Could it be from his previous school in Kansai? *is bricked*

I get the impression the Tokyo-3 school wasn't too strict on uniform regulations, but I can't pinpoint where I got that (maybe I just made it up... > <)
"People need more stfu in their diets." (NemZ)
"It was brainf@rt at first sight." [LiLi on Romance, II]

AVATAR - CUPCAKE CAT, SHOPPED BY NemZ

Joseph the PRPD
Elder God
Elder God
Age: 24
Posts: 6339
Joined: Dec 19, 2008
Location: League City, TX
Gender: Male

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Joseph the PRPD » Mon Aug 03, 2009 1:21 pm

Because Toji is a bad ass who doesn't play by the rules.
Cheese wheel in the U.S. Coast Guard.


Return to “Evangelion Discussion”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest