A subforum for discussions about Film, TV, and Videos.

Moderators: New Moderators, Board Staff

Guyver Spawn
Donor
Donor

•      
  •      

Postby Guyver Spawn » Mon Aug 23, 2010 9:25 pm

I hear the DVD re-release this winnter will be even longer. As much I love Avatar as the next guy, I don't want to sit down for another hour and half.
Xbox live gamertag: Guyver Spawn 27
PSN: Hellspawn28

child of Lilith
Celestial Serendipity
Celestial Serendipity

•      
  •      

Postby child of Lilith » Mon Aug 23, 2010 9:30 pm

I’m sure plenty of people will go to see this. I don’t plan on being one of them, though.
"Let the right one in. Let the old dreams die. Let the wrong ones go. They cannot do, what you want them to do."- Morrissey, Let the Right One Slip In

"Happy people can be so cruel"- Claudia, Silent Hill 3

"everlasting, true love, I am yours"- Rule of Rose

WonderBug
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby WonderBug » Mon Aug 23, 2010 10:56 pm

View Original PostFreakyFilmFan4ever wrote:Extended? I'd watch it if it was cut down to 90 mins. to 2 hours and had Colonel Miles Quaritch as the main character. When Colonel Miles was on screen my thought wasn't "Why don't you use your powers for good?", it was "Why isn't this movie about you?!"

If that's the ornery badass guy, then YES TOTALLY NEEDS TO BE IN THE MOVIE MORE. I don't know if he would work as the protagonist, as he fills the role of ensemble darkhorse pretty damn well.

I won't be seeing the re-release. I only needed to see it once plus they play Dances With Wolves like, every other week on AMC.

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Tue Aug 24, 2010 12:59 am

View Original PostWonderBug wrote:If that's the ornery badass guy, then YES TOTALLY NEEDS TO BE IN THE MOVIE MORE. I don't know if he would work as the protagonist, as he fills the role of ensemble darkhorse pretty damn well.

Yes. That was him. And I think he could work as the protagonist. I mean, he wouldn't be that much different from Brad Pitt's character in Quentin Tarantino's Inglorious Basterds.

Colonel Miles Quaritch wrote:We're in the Na'Vi killing buisness. And buisness is BOOMIN'!

MugwumpHasNoLiver
Erotic Humiliation
Erotic Humiliation

•      
  •      

Postby MugwumpHasNoLiver » Tue Aug 24, 2010 3:36 am

I can't even comprehend why so many people like Quaritch. He was the generic bad-ass villain to Sully's generic tree-humping hero, who played the role so straight, with such plentiful genericism that he just blended perfectly into the shimmering CGI tapestry of genericism that was Avatar. GENERICISM! I'm not even certain that's a real word. My closest guess is that the one dimensional mold he filled was by default cooler than all the others, thus making him stand out.
"Now, from Nature we obtain abundant information about ourselves, and precious little about others. About the woman you clasp in your arms, can you say with certainty that she does not feign pleasure? About the woman you mistreat, are you quite sure that from abuse she does not derive some obscure and lascivious satisfaction? Let us confine ourselves to simple evidence: through thoughtfulness, gentleness, concern for the feelings of others we saddle our own pleasure with restrictions, and make this sacrifice to obtain a doubtful result." -The Divine Marquis

"I agree Hans, but we have talked about those anal fisting analogies." -Werner Herzog

EvangelionFan
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby EvangelionFan » Tue Aug 24, 2010 3:50 am

People liked Quaritch? I thought he was made typical so that we wouldn't like him. I found S. Weavers' performance to be the best of the cast, the others... suitable if easily forgettable. Can't think of anything else to say about Avatar other than that it was a great 'good' film with some fairly decent sci-fi for the masses.
Voluntary Illusion.

Gendo'sPapa
God
God

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Tue Aug 24, 2010 6:43 am

Even as a fan of the movie (it's not a thematically deep film but it lives up to the promise of a visually interesting action film- another "not good" film that lives up to it's promise- Piranha 3D) I refuse to pay and see this new "Special Edition" in theaters.

It's a shameless cash grab and the sad thing is it probably will be a success.

Besides, it's even more pointless since the November BluRay will be even longer-

http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=5030

UrsusArctos
The Beginning and the End
The Beginning and the End

•      
  •      

Postby UrsusArctos » Tue Aug 24, 2010 7:59 am

FFF4E wrote:Extended? I'd watch it if it was cut down to 90 mins. to 2 hours and had Colonel Miles Quaritch as the main character.

This.

As TvTropes says, Your Mileage May Vary with Colonel Quaritch. Count me among the Colonel's fans, although I understand perfectly well why some people are not his fans. If an Avatarverse movie starring the Colonel comes out, I expect it to be a huge success.
[Became a moderator on December 31st, 2007. Became an administrator on September 7th, 2013.]
Not knowing that Monk is bi is like not knowing the Pope is Catholic - ZapX.
You're either really bad at interpreting jokes or really good at pretending you are and I have no idea which.-Monk Ed
WAAAAAAAAGH!!!!!(<-link to lunacy)...Taste me, if you can bear it. (Warning: Language NSFW)
The main point of idiocy is for the smart to have their lulz. Without human idiocy, trolling would not exist, and that's uncool, since a large part of my entertainment consists of mocking the absurdity and dumbassery of the world, especially the Internet.-MaggotMaster

WonderBug
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby WonderBug » Tue Aug 24, 2010 10:07 am

View Original PostMugwumpHasNoLiver wrote:I can't even comprehend why so many people like Quaritch. He was the generic bad-ass villain to Sully's generic tree-humping hero, who played the role so straight, with such plentiful genericism that he just blended perfectly into the shimmering CGI tapestry of genericism that was Avatar. GENERICISM! I'm not even certain that's a real word. My closest guess is that the one dimensional mold he filled was by default cooler than all the others, thus making him stand out.

The other characters were that terrible. That's all it is for me.

backseatjesus
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby backseatjesus » Tue Aug 24, 2010 7:04 pm

http://www.asiae.co.kr/news/view.htm?sec=ent5&idxno=2010051722574210765

Eva 02
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby Eva 02 » Thu Aug 26, 2010 4:42 pm

I totally fell asleep during this. I've never done that before at a theatre; even sick as a dog, holding onto my barf till I stepped out the door on end credits as I did for Watchmen.

This movie blew. It was no masterpiece - just a flex of movie technology. Aliens is Cameron at his best, and that's only because of how much better he took the themes than Ridley Scot - it had its pretentious moments just the same.
Mikoroshi Tou Kara Zutto

Hawq
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Hawq » Fri Aug 27, 2010 8:44 am

finally with the extended dvd/blu-ray thats coming I may consider buying it (one the price drops unless theres a good launch offer on) as it should be loaded with bonus stuff as well as the extra film. Extended bit now overly bothered by but could be nice, if I have the time to sit & watch it all, I was just amazed at the first release having no extras at all, for a film where they made a new type of camera for it that alone would get you at least 30 minutes of stuff, slightly techie stuff but stuff that may be interesting.

soul.assassin
Geezer of All Trades
Geezer of All Trades

•      
  •      

Postby soul.assassin » Fri Aug 27, 2010 9:21 am

Heh, some amusing things about the film:

1.) Jake 'synching' with his Avatar in his 'entry plug';
2.) Grace Augustine, her appearance and her smoking habit reminds me of Ritsuko:
Dr. Grace Augustine: (Emerging from her avatar pod) Where's my goddamn cigarette? What's wrong with this picture!
:lol:
3.) The film's a pastiche of every damn flick Cameron had worked on in the past.
4.) Trudy's an extended-time version of Cpl. Vasquez.
5.) Should have this scene where Jake makes short work of Selfridge ala Rambo.

Twin Drive Sigma Aquarion
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Twin Drive Sigma Aquarion » Sun Aug 29, 2010 8:07 pm

Avatar didn't make top ten this week!

http://movies.yahoo.com/news/movies.ap.org/exorcism-has-slim-boxoffice-lead-over-takers-ap

:w00:
So depressed am I
Missing you I do TK
Gone from paradise

Guyver Spawn
Donor
Donor

•      
  •      

Postby Guyver Spawn » Sun Aug 29, 2010 8:18 pm

That's a big suprise since I thought it will be #1 this weekend. I saw the re-release today, and I still enjoy the movie. The movie has flaws, but I still think it's a great movie in my opinion.
Xbox live gamertag: Guyver Spawn 27
PSN: Hellspawn28

GasmaskAvenger
Re-Gyption Strut
Re-Gyption Strut

•      
  •      

Postby GasmaskAvenger » Sun Aug 29, 2010 9:23 pm

TBH, I figured that the re-release extended cut wasn't gonna do all that well in theaters, so yeah
Satsuki Kiryuin wants you to turn that frown upside down...
My AU Evangelion Fanfic | My Street Fighter fanfic
XBOX Live: GasmaskAvenger | PSN: GasmaskAvenger
Official "Grindhouse of Evangelion" Discussion, Updates and Cast Sign Up Thread.

THE Hal E. Burton 9000
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby THE Hal E. Burton 9000 » Thu Sep 16, 2010 3:54 am

James Cameron's gonna be King of the Sea World!!

:w00: [/sarcasm]

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-1312406/Into-deadly-deep-How-James-Cameron-plans-film-Avatar-sequel-7-miles-seas-surface.html
- TEH Fabulous Hal E. Burton 9000

P.S. For those wanting to discuss a matter with yours truly not pertaining to the general topic at hand, PM me. Please and thank you.

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Thu Sep 16, 2010 9:20 pm

So, James Cameron is plagiarizing The Little Mermaid instead of Pocahontas this time around.

soul.assassin
Geezer of All Trades
Geezer of All Trades

•      
  •      

Postby soul.assassin » Fri Sep 17, 2010 3:28 am

View Original PostTHE Hal E. Burton 9000 wrote:James Cameron's gonna be King of the Sea World!!

:w00: [/sarcasm]

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-1312406/Into-deadly-deep-How-James-Cameron-plans-film-Avatar-sequel-7-miles-seas-surface.html

Sounds like revisiting Abyss.

tomrule123
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby tomrule123 » Sat Sep 18, 2010 11:50 am

View Original Postsoul.assassin wrote:Sounds like revisiting Abyss.

:fuyu_facepalm: Here we go again.

Return to “Film and Video”