A subforum for discussions about Film, TV, and Videos.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Thu Jul 23, 2009 7:07 pm

James Cameron just showed off 25 minutes of AVATAR at Comic Con and while it hurts that I wasn't there I'm stoked to hear this announcement-

Instead of a trailer, the first footage of AVATAR made available to the public will premiere on August 21 at 3D IMAX screens where for free you can go see a 15 minute presentation of the world of Pandora. A classic trailer will follow soon after that I'm sure but man, nice wicked way to kickstart a film.

http://www.avatarmovie.com/

UrsusArctos
The Beginning and The End

•      
  •      

Postby UrsusArctos » Thu Jul 23, 2009 8:03 pm

http://forum.evageeks.org/viewtopic.php?t=3414

Next time, search for relevant topics before posting.
(Was Board Staff from Dec 31, 2007 - Oct 17, 2015 and Oct 20, 2020 - Aug 1, 2021)
Not knowing that Monk is bi is like not knowing the Pope is Catholic - ZapX
You're either really bad at interpreting jokes or really good at pretending you are and I have no idea which.-Monk Ed
WAAAAAAAAGH!!!!!(<-link to lunacy)...Taste me, if you can bear it. (Warning: Language NSFW)
The main point of idiocy is for the smart to have their lulz. Without human idiocy, trolling would not exist, and that's uncool, since a large part of my entertainment consists of mocking the absurdity and dumbassery of the world, especially the Internet.-MaggotMaster

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey » Thu Jul 23, 2009 8:33 pm

UrsusArctos wrote:http://forum.evageeks.org/viewtopic.php?t=3414

Next time, search for relevant topics before posting.

Actually, Ursus, this thread is about a totally different film.

This is about James Cameron's Avatar, a science fiction film he's finally realizing after 20 years.

The film based off of the Avatar: the Last Airbender series is known as "The Last Airbender", because James Cameron has the usage rights to the word "Avatar" in film. Unfortunately, to Cameron's disadvantage, there's still some confusion amongst people due to the more well known animated TV series.

Is there a thread for James Cameron's Avatar handy?

Tokpile Quohog
Marquis Tokpile de Boîtes

•      
  •      

Postby Tokpile Quohog » Fri Jul 24, 2009 1:16 am

After this maybe he'll finally get to work on the battle angel alita movie.
TheEvaMonkey: I HATE BEING A FAT CHICK

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Fri Jul 24, 2009 1:50 am

Next time it'd be nice for the people to actually, you know, have an idea of what they're talking about before they make false accusations.

But that's just me.

Though to bring my little hissy fit to the topic, it does show a case of bad marketing that even now, 6 months from release people are still confusing this film with M. Night Shyamalan's misguided adaptation of the wicked Nickelodeon TV show.

P.S. Looked back at least 10 pages before posting and saw no threads on Cameron's film.

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

Re: August 21- AVATAR DAY

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Fri Jul 24, 2009 2:34 am

Gendo'sPapa wrote:http://www.avatarmovie.com/
Since that site is totally information free, I'm not surprised that people mistook it for Airbender.

WFT is this movie, anyway?
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

UrsusArctos

•      
  •      

Postby UrsusArctos » Fri Jul 24, 2009 7:34 am

The Eva Monkey wrote:
This is about James Cameron's Avatar, a science fiction film he's finally realizing after 20 years.

Ye Gods, how careless of me! :duhme:

Well, no...there's no thread for James Cameron's Avatar handy. I guess I'll change the topic title to avoid any confusion.
(Was Board Staff from Dec 31, 2007 - Oct 17, 2015 and Oct 20, 2020 - Aug 1, 2021)
You're either really bad at interpreting jokes or really good at pretending you are and I have no idea which.-Monk Ed
WAAAAAAAAGH!!!!!(<-link to lunacy)...Taste me, if you can bear it. (Warning: Language NSFW)
The main point of idiocy is for the smart to have their lulz. Without human idiocy, trolling would not exist, and that's uncool, since a large part of my entertainment consists of mocking the absurdity and dumbassery of the world, especially the Internet.-MaggotMaster

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

Re: August 21- AVATAR DAY

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey » Fri Jul 24, 2009 8:29 am

Mr. Tines wrote:WFT is this movie, anyway?

If you're particularly interested in 3D animation, or even machinima, it will be of interest to you.

For the past several years, James Cameron has been investing into a new 3D camera system. At first, I thought it was some bizarre take on stereoscopic filmmaking, or something to interpret dimension and perspective from a multi camera system. But as it turns out, it's actually a step beyond the filmmaking techniques used in CG films like Beowulf, Advent Children, and Spirits Within.

This film uses the virtual camera system, which is a way to completely tie together motion capture, 3D elements, and a live camera in real time. Imagine holding a camera, and previewing with that camera or a monitor, what your actors will ultimately look like later on when their performance has been merged with their 3D models. It allows you to direct your actors, and perform your cinematography in a more traditional cinematic approach. Naturally, you can also go back and handle the camera performance in post, but it also allows you to do it in real time too.

It is in effect ultra high quality machinima.

As far as plot:

Avatar is set during the 22nd century on a small moon called Pandora, which orbits a gas giant, and is inhabited by the tribal Na'vi, ten foot tall, blue humanoids that are peaceful unless attacked. Humans cannot breathe Pandoran air, so they genetically engineer human/Na'vi hybrids known as Avatars that can be controlled via a mental link. A paralyzed Marine named Jake Sully (Sam Worthington) volunteers to exist as an Avatar on Pandora, falling in love with a Na'vi princess and becoming caught up in the conflict between her people and the human military that is consuming their world.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Avatar_(2009_film)

UrsusArctos

•      
  •      

Postby UrsusArctos » Fri Jul 24, 2009 9:47 am

Plot doesn't sound too good. Alien princess? Phooey. But Cameron's dedication to the project is incredible, and look at all the new technology he's putting into it. Even if the story turns out to be miserable and the movie flops at the box office, the new technology would be a big help for future films.

Timstuff
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Timstuff » Fri Jul 24, 2009 10:08 am

The plot for this movie sounds pretty stupid, but I'm hearing that the visuals are amazing, so I'll definitely be checking it out. Hopefully I can find a theater that's participating in "Avatar Day."
DeviantArt profile being re-invented... Check back later.

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey » Fri Jul 24, 2009 10:16 am

UrsusArctos wrote:Even if the story turns out to be miserable and the movie flops at the box office, the new technology would be a big help for future films.

That's how I'm looking at it. I'm really not all too interested in the plot thus far, but the technology is fascinating.

And word is that the same technology for this will be used on Battle Angel, so perhaps we should consider Avatar the warm up.

UrsusArctos

•      
  •      

Postby UrsusArctos » Fri Jul 24, 2009 10:40 am

Come to think of it, Titanic was based off a crummy Edwardian Era inter-class love story and one famous ship, but Cameron turned it into an unbelievable success. If his execution is only half as good with Avatar, he has a big hit on his hands. Unless he's gotten really sloppy over the years and decides to ruin everything for the sake of the visuals

Fazmotron
Admin Emeritus :-{|
Admin Emeritus :-{|

•      
  •      

Postby Fazmotron » Fri Jul 24, 2009 11:49 am

Cameron said his inspiration was "every single science fiction book I read as a kid"

Plot sounds lame, he must have been reading some pretty crappy books.

Hes probably hoping theres enough "HURRRR, It looks perty" to carry the film then.
[Became a moderator on August 14th, 2011. Became an administrator on September 7th, 2013.]
--Fazmotron--
A.K.A. - Ryan Farrell
How Chaz sees me.
BobBQ - I find your lack of :-{| disturbing.

FAZMOTRON.com

SaltyJoe
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby SaltyJoe » Fri Jul 24, 2009 12:24 pm

Well, this film will be something of a tech demo, so a plot that leaves a lot of room for epicness and bombast is perfectly fine.

EDIT:
I'm not belittling the project, if it may seem like that. In fact, i'm defintely going to give this a viewing once it hits the international market.
Last edited by SaltyJoe on Fri Jul 24, 2009 12:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey » Fri Jul 24, 2009 12:36 pm

UrsusArctos wrote:Come to think of it, Titanic was based off a crummy Edwardian Era inter-class love story and one famous ship, but Cameron turned it into an unbelievable success. If his execution is only half as good with Avatar, he has a big hit on his hands.

There's a reason why they don't give directors carte blanche anymore, no one has a perfect track record. Except maybe Clint Eastwood, but time will rectify that.

Fazmotron wrote:Cameron said his inspiration was "every single science fiction book I read as a kid"

Plot sounds lame, he must have been reading some pretty crappy books.

Hes probably hoping theres enough "HURRRR, It looks perty" to carry the film then.

Take Edgar Rice Burroughs' Barsoom/Martian Tales books, the plot was "Civil War Hero wakes up on Mars and kicks a lot of alien ass". The premise is so basic and laughable, but the series of books is classic, and unless you're blind or unfamiliar, became the basis for the "greatest" superhero ever: Superman.

BattleMonkey
Leliel
Leliel

•      
  •      

Postby BattleMonkey » Fri Jul 24, 2009 1:21 pm

This movie is a joke right now, how they are being so secretive about it is just going to kill it by the time it's released. I'm not surprised to often see so many people confused on what this is and confusing it with something else because of how tight lipped it's all being as if it's going to WOW people suddenly. Ironically it seems like many of the folks who previewed it at Comic con who twittered about it have been very mixed or underwhelmed.

This could be building up into a disaster.

Though I do want to see it cause Cameron is a god, but they are handling this poorly.

Timstuff
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Timstuff » Fri Jul 24, 2009 2:32 pm

At this point if you say "Avatar," people assume you're talking about "The Last Airbender." At least the latter has had a teaster trailer. :tongue:

For some reason I've had a bit of a cynical outlook on this movie. I mean, I'm excited about it since I know it's going to have amazing visuals, but I feel a little bit cynical about the whole "Dances with Wolves on an alien planet" plot and the fact that they're not putting out any trailers even though it's only a few months away and they're spending over a quarter billion dollars on it. I mean, there are movies that aren't coming out till next year that have trailers, and yet with Avatar the only way you can even know it exists is by looking it up on the internet. I find it really odd that they'd spend so much money on a movie and not already be marketing the heck out of it.

I am, however, worried that if the movie flops it will be very bad for original franchises to be born directly through the film medium, and it would be bad for big budget science fiction films. I want to see it do well because I think its success would be great for the industry and all of the technologies associated with the film, but it's hard to imagine it being a success when they're keeping everything so tightly under wraps right until the release. If it were a big name franchise like Star Wars I could see them getting away with it, but since it's a new IP that's totally unknown to the public I don't get how keeping a tarp over it right until release day is supposed to work.
DeviantArt profile being re-invented... Check back later.

Tokpile Quohog

•      
  •      

Postby Tokpile Quohog » Sat Jul 25, 2009 12:49 am

The Eva Monkey wrote:And word is that the same technology for this will be used on Battle Angel, so perhaps we should consider Avatar the warm up.

If he screws up the Battle Angel movie, there will be hell to pay for.
TheEvaMonkey: I HATE BEING A FAT CHICK

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey » Sat Jul 25, 2009 10:42 am

Tokpile Quohog wrote:
The Eva Monkey wrote:And word is that the same technology for this will be used on Battle Angel, so perhaps we should consider Avatar the warm up.

If he screws up the Battle Angel movie, there will be hell to pay for.

Big fan are ya? :lol:

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Sat Jul 25, 2009 11:25 am

Considering James Cameron can shit out an amazing movie better than most of us could ever hope to make I doubt any fan of Battle Angel has anything to fear.
As for the plot of AVATAR, it is exceedingly simple but I have no worries. What is ALIENS but Marines go and shoot guns at Aliens? A narrative doesn't need to be overly complex to be a fantastic piece of entertainment. As long as its not stupid (Transformers 2) I'll be happy.

Return to “Film and Video”