a thought of mine...

This is the place to start: Feel free to introduce yourself, have general conversations and casual discussions about all things Evangelion, including chit-chatty topics like "Sachiel is adorable" or "Which Eva kicks the most ass?"

Moderator: Board Staff

Toilet Duck
Lilith

a thought of mine...

•      
  •      

Postby Toilet Duck » Wed Jun 15, 2005 10:01 pm

pardon any n00bishness i shall spout henceforth.

i was bored and decided to peruse the images of the evangelion episode screenplays scanned in by thekillingmantra and hosted at Rei liberation parade. i had been wondering about the significance of episode 2's english title, "the beast," and i found something interesting. suppose you add the number of cuts in episodes 1 and 2 together. the screenplay of episode 1 has 351 numbered cuts. subtract 351 from 666, the widely alleged "number of the beast," and you get 315. cut #315 in episode 2's screenplay is the one in which ritsuko (although it's Misato in the finished episode) says "hontou no sugata" ("the true identity [of eva]").

could it be that eva is "the beast"? i realize this is probably nothing more than a completely absurd coincidence, but what do you guys think?

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Wed Jun 15, 2005 11:55 pm

Japanese fans have connected "The Beast" with the Anti-Christ. I make some comments about the matter in the commentary, episode #02, scene 5.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

Phaze
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

Congratulations!

•      
  •      

Postby Phaze » Thu Jun 16, 2005 12:09 am

Last edited by Phaze on Thu Jun 16, 2005 6:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog!

Prons
Embryo

Re: a thought of mine...

•      
  •      

Postby Prons » Thu Jun 16, 2005 9:30 am

toiletduck wrote:pardon any n00bishness i shall spout henceforth.

i was bored and decided to peruse the images of the evangelion episode screenplays scanned in by thekillingmantra and hosted at Rei liberation parade. i had been wondering about the significance of episode 2's english title, "the beast," and i found something interesting. suppose you add the number of cuts in episodes 1 and 2 together. the screenplay of episode 1 has 351 numbered cuts. subtract 351 from 666, the widely alleged "number of the beast," and you get 315. cut #315 in episode 2's screenplay is the one in which ritsuko (although it's Misato in the finished episode) says "hontou no sugata" ("the true identity [of eva]").

could it be that eva is "the beast"? i realize this is probably nothing more than a completely absurd coincidence, but what do you guys think?

You must be either really observive, or really bored.
Am I the only one that really doubts that Anno or whoever wrote the screenplay had that in mind?

ObsessiveMathsFreak
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby ObsessiveMathsFreak » Thu Jun 16, 2005 9:40 am

The dark side of the maths, numerology is.
[Became an administrator on or before October 4th, 2007.]
May The Maths Be With You.

Prons
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Prons » Thu Jun 16, 2005 9:42 am

ObsessiveMathsFreak wrote:The dark side of the maths, numerology is.

I can feel your calculus, it gives you focous, it gives you power.

Soluzar
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

•      
  •      

Postby Soluzar » Thu Jun 16, 2005 9:47 am

Nahh, Prons, you aren't the only one. I doubt it a lot. I seriously think numerology (is that the right term?) is just funny. You can prove ANYTHING with numberology. If you want, I can prove you're me. It's easy. You just need to find the right "significant numbers" to multiply and divide by and add and subtract from the starting number. Since whoever is doing the numerology gets to be the one who pick ALL of these numbers, it's easy to work out any answer you like.

Seriously, give me a few hours, and I'll prove that Eva Monkey is Hideaki Anno. Actually, I won't because I'm not that bored, but I could. I god damn guarantee it.
Natsukashii, ne?

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Thu Jun 16, 2005 11:03 am

Well, sometimes numbers have some significance... unless you're going to suggest that the seven eyes on Seele's mark or the twelve wings of GNR/Sho were just numbers that the Gainax boys randomly picked.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

sadsadshinji
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby sadsadshinji » Thu Jun 16, 2005 11:07 am

umm
perhaps i'm just stupid, but what was the significance of the numbers of eyes and wings (perhaps the months?)
or perhaps you could direct me to a thread where it is discussed?
and i agree, numerology isnt really accurate...at all

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Thu Jun 16, 2005 11:17 am

sadsadshinji wrote:umm
perhaps i'm just stupid, but what was the significance of the numbers of eyes and wings (perhaps the months?)
or perhaps you could direct me to a thread where it is discussed?
and i agree, numerology isnt really accurate...at all

Read the commentary for the series OP (see sig).
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

sadsadshinji
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby sadsadshinji » Thu Jun 16, 2005 11:21 am

thanks

Hexon.Arq
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Hexon.Arq » Thu Jun 16, 2005 2:24 pm

It's reportedly 616, so either you lose or Anno does. :P

_you can't do anything, so don't even try
_get some help
_don't do what sonic does

Oroboro
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Oroboro » Thu Jun 16, 2005 3:22 pm

I know the that 7 happens to be God's favorite number, thus accounting for the eyes. I think the angel Michael, or was Gaberiel, has twelve wings.

Anyhoo, what posessed you to count the number of cuts?
a Dream that never ends
a Love that never dies
like living on the other side of the sky
When everything’s an illusion
Life is neither borrowed nor bought it’s just something that you’re using
Nothing is my freedom
yet,
Nothing my cage
Man! it’s great just to be living
in the paradox age.

Soluzar
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

•      
  •      

Postby Soluzar » Thu Jun 16, 2005 5:12 pm

Reichu wrote:Well, sometimes numbers have some significance... unless you're going to suggest that the seven eyes on Seele's mark or the twelve wings of GNR/Sho were just numbers that the Gainax boys randomly picked.

That's a very different thing from numerology, though. Numerology would involve me working out what number in the alphabet each letter in "Reichu" is, and using the resultant number, which is 21593818, to prove something, by dividing that number by... say the year someone famous was born... then subtracting... the number of atomic bombs which had ever been dropped in the world, dividing by Pi, and adding your age to get Adolph Hitler's birthday, and then saying that as a result, you were an evil, anti-semitic fascist.

That's the kind of numerology I was referring to, and it's pretty ridiculous. Obviously when deliberately used as references, ordinary numbers, like the 12 wings of satan, or the 7 eyes of god really do mean something. It's when you screw around adding this and multiplying by the other that I start to roll my eyes. You can prove anything you want to prove that way. Much like some theories I read on the forums.

Hexon.Arq wrote:It's reportedly 616, so either you lose or Anno does. :P

So what is 616 an area code for, iin America? It fits the pattern, as far as I know. Three digits with either a one or a zero in the middle...
Natsukashii, ne?

Phaze
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

•      
  •      

Postby Phaze » Thu Jun 16, 2005 6:18 pm

Hexon.Arq wrote:It's reportedly 616, so either you lose or Anno does. :P

It still comes out as 666 if you apply Hebrew numerology to the Latin Alphabet.
The purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog!

Hexon.Arq
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Hexon.Arq » Thu Jun 16, 2005 10:37 pm

What comes out? Nero?

_you can't do anything, so don't even try
_get some help
_don't do what sonic does

Phaze
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

•      
  •      

Postby Phaze » Thu Jun 16, 2005 11:05 pm

Hexon.Arq wrote:What comes out? Nero?

Yes, although I neglected to mention it.

Prons
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Prons » Fri Jun 17, 2005 6:43 am

Reichu wrote:Well, sometimes numbers have some significance... unless you're going to suggest that the seven eyes on Seele's mark or the twelve wings of GNR/Sho were just numbers that the Gainax boys randomly picked.

Why is it that whenever you say GNR I have a feeling that they made the giant naked Rei scene just because Anno likes Guns N Roses?

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Fri Jun 17, 2005 9:12 am

Oroboro wrote:I know the that 7 happens to be God's favorite number, thus accounting for the eyes. I think the angel Michael, or was Gaberiel, has twelve wings.

Sammael is shocked that you should confuse him with anyone else! Your soul is now his.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

Oroboro
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Oroboro » Fri Jun 17, 2005 1:37 pm

Reichu wrote:
Oroboro wrote:I know the that 7 happens to be God's favorite number, thus accounting for the eyes. I think the angel Michael, or was Gaberiel, has twelve wings.

Sammael is shocked that you should confuse him with anyone else! Your soul is now his.

No, I'm pretty sure my soul is already dead. I didn't know Sammael was another name for Satan...so useless fact of the day:

In the Kabbalistic tradition, Sammael is the chief of the ten evil Sephiroth. He is said to fly through the air like a bird. The dark blemishes on the moon's surface are supposed to be this archdemon's excrement.

...Amazing...!
a Dream that never ends
a Love that never dies
like living on the other side of the sky
When everything’s an illusion
Life is neither borrowed nor bought it’s just something that you’re using
Nothing is my freedom
yet,
Nothing my cage
Man! it’s great just to be living
in the paradox age.

Return to “Evangelion General and Chit-Chat”