"Father"

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
Azathoth
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Azathoth » Fri Dec 10, 2010 1:38 pm

View Original PostDefectron wrote:In rebuild at least I think Fuyutski may have been his donor. The reason is he looks over at the area Gendo and Fuyutski are and says father. Now most people would assume he was talking to Gendo, but think about it, he looks more like Fuyu then he does Gendo.

Fuyutsuki didn't always have gray hair, you know.
Nothing is so valuable that it need not be started afresh, nothing is so rich that it need not be enriched constantly.

supershinjiasukashipper
"doggy"

•      
  •      

Postby supershinjiasukashipper » Fri Dec 10, 2010 1:54 pm

View Original PostAzathoth wrote:Fuyutsuki didn't always have gray hair, you know.

That is true, Gendo's antics turned it gray. You wouldn't believe it but he is only 27.
Interesting Quote:
ANTA just went full BAKA - Tines-sans reaction to my MS paint thread fail.
my fanfic.net account, enjoy my work, praise me! http://www.fanfiction.net/u/2164682/
Forgive my spelling errors, my keyboard acts quite weird weird.

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Fri Dec 10, 2010 2:27 pm

~Take care of yourself, I need you~

barccy
Embryo

Re: "Father"

•      
  •      

Postby barccy » Sat Mar 26, 2016 7:03 pm

Professor Fuyutsuki was with Gendo in that space craft.
The hair color and facial structure of Kaworu and Fuyutsuki are similar.
In the series, Gendo was in contact with him (Fuyutsuki) before he (Gendo) made his trip to view the Katsuragi expedition the day before the contact experiment, which could have been a delivery of Fuyutsuki's genetic materiel.
Fuyutsuki is a mentor to Gendo (and Yui), and might be an intentional parallel to Kaworu advising Shinji.
Don't let go.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Sat Mar 26, 2016 8:00 pm

Kaworu's origins have, so far, been a complete non-issue in the new films. However he was created, it doesn't seem to actually matter. This might change, but we can't assume they will. Trying to fill in the blanks with NGE is another mistake, since the two universes are wildly divergent in numerous ways. For now, any speculation on the "father" line must take into consideration only what the films provide, and perhaps what the staff has said about them, nothing more.

The most plausible interpretation that I've seen: Kaworu is indeed addressing Gendo as "father". This has less to do with Gendo being Kaworu's dad, and more to do with further accentuating Kaworu's uncanny level of familiarity with Shinji. That is, he considers himself so close to Shinji that he freely refers to Shinji's parent the same way a spouse might refer to their in-laws. Kaworu clarifies the lack of blood relation in 3.0, where he (during dialogue not intended to address Gendo directly) specifically says "Shinji's father". (As for Gendo and Fuyutsuki, they are aloof to Kaworu's existence, considering him little more than a Seele plant to be eventually disposed of.)
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

ChaddyManPrime
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby ChaddyManPrime » Sat Mar 26, 2016 9:18 pm

I'm gonna posit that Kaworu is Shinji through either time/reality/instrumentality travel, cloning/hybridization, or contact experimentation.

It's stable time loop where Kaworu loves Shinji, Shinji learns to love himself through that love, but he realizes it was his self teaching his self to love himself, and that if he doesn't do the exact same thing that means he'll never learn to himself. Everyone finds love in the end but for Shinji it's only for himself.

It keeps the whole "Only you can love yourself" thing intact and it makes Shinji into the man Anno thinks Shinji wants to be. It's also why Shinji likes space, and why Kaworu calls Gendo father.
Last edited by ChaddyManPrime on Sat Mar 26, 2016 9:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"Look at Me!, I'm Mr. MeeSeeks!" - Mr. MeeSeeks

You know nothing, Jon Snow - Chuckman

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Sat Mar 26, 2016 9:38 pm

Every character sans Mari is actually Anno.
Anno most closely identifies with Shinji.
Therefore, every character except Mari must have, at one point, been Shinji.

Why bother with alternate timelines / loops / realities at all? Let's just reimagine Eva as a really complicated version of that movie Identity. Would arguably be more productive.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

ChaddyManPrime
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby ChaddyManPrime » Sun Mar 27, 2016 1:47 am

^
Well, Rebuild is a alternate reality with a alternate ending to something something that doesn't exist any longer cause that place has ceased to exist.

But Lilith already told us what alternate realities really are, though you should ask Anno why he bothers with alternate timelines/loops/realities, it's a good question :chug:

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Sun Mar 27, 2016 2:54 am

View Original PostChaddyManPrime wrote:Well, Rebuild is a alternate reality with a alternate ending to something something that doesn't exist any longer cause that place has ceased to exist.

I think it's time to lay off the sauce. Get sober, then go watch NGE or something. You might be surprised that it actually still exists. And that Mari isn't in EoE, anywhere.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

ChaddyManPrime
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby ChaddyManPrime » Sun Mar 27, 2016 2:38 pm

^
It exists in our hearts, may it rest in peace.

No, I wasn't saying Mari was in EoE, I'm saying she was created in it, and saying the preview may have her watching as people are exploding into crosses.

Arcadia's legacy
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

•      
  •      

Postby Arcadia's legacy » Sun Mar 27, 2016 2:40 pm

Or it's simply an earlier idea for the aftermath of the Tunniel battle
Never let the flame that is hope burn out, for despite the length of the night, the sunrise will always come
""Trolling the audience" is the same thing as "challenging the audience" (to an audience that doesn't want to be challenged)." -Reichu

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Sun Mar 27, 2016 5:25 pm

The multiple exploding crosses suggest that Mari is on the outskirts of the city as Zeruel's attack commences (an idea that obviously changed as work on 2.0 progressed). No reason to read any deeper into the cut than that.

Anyway.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”