NME's production schedule (3.0 & 4.0?)

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
SaltyJoe
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby SaltyJoe » Mon Jul 27, 2009 5:40 am

Reichu wrote:Ehhh, the lamest thing about it was that it wasn't explained very well. It makes perfect sense (well, for Eva) if you compile all the data and deduce what it's actually intended to mean. (Hint: not symbolic.)

Oh, it made perfect sense (i recall that it was even mentioned by Ritsuko at the beginning of the series that Angels are just alternative humans and vice versa), and it also gained a metaphoric touch IMO when the JSSDF attacked Nerv in EoE.

I worded my thoughts poorly: if humanity will be revealed to be an Angel of sorts, then i hope "we" won't take up a "slot" that could be occupied by some "regular" Angel. [/off-topic]

Grimmjow
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby Grimmjow » Thu Mar 11, 2010 8:10 pm

Why not make 3.0 and 4.0 both 60-70 minute movies? 45 minutes is far too short of a time period to finish off all of the loose ends left by 2.0.

GasmaskAvenger
Re-Gyption Strut
Re-Gyption Strut

•      
  •      

Postby GasmaskAvenger » Thu Mar 11, 2010 8:29 pm

I agree

45 minutes is a bit too short for something with this scale

70 minutes or a wee bit more would work, thus having 140 minutes of Evangelion greatness in film form could be awesome
Satsuki Kiryuin wants you to turn that frown upside down...
My AU Evangelion Fanfic | My Street Fighter fanfic
XBOX Live: GasmaskAvenger | PSN: GasmaskAvenger
Official "Grindhouse of Evangelion" Discussion, Updates and Cast Sign Up Thread.

Fazmotron
Admin Emeritus :-{|

•      
  •      

Postby Fazmotron » Thu Mar 11, 2010 8:54 pm

I want 2 separate movies, each with a running time of over 100 minutes.
[Became a moderator on August 14th, 2011. Became an administrator on September 7th, 2013.]
--Fazmotron--
A.K.A. - Ryan Farrell
How Chaz sees me.
BobBQ - I find your lack of :-{| disturbing.

FAZMOTRON.com

GasmaskAvenger
Re-Gyption Strut
Re-Gyption Strut

•      
  •      

Postby GasmaskAvenger » Thu Mar 11, 2010 10:12 pm

even better

especially if they go the 24 route with "Final"
Satsuki Kiryuin wants you to turn that frown upside down...
My AU Evangelion Fanfic | My Street Fighter fanfic
XBOX Live: GasmaskAvenger | PSN: GasmaskAvenger
Official "Grindhouse of Evangelion" Discussion, Updates and Cast Sign Up Thread.

IDontWantNoScrub
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby IDontWantNoScrub » Fri Mar 12, 2010 7:30 am

Fazmotron wrote:I want 2 separate movies, each with a running time of over 100 minutes.

This.

Fazmotron

•      
  •      

Postby Fazmotron » Fri Mar 12, 2010 8:44 am

GasmaskAvenger wrote:especially if they go the 24 route with "Final"

What does that mean?
[Became a moderator on August 14th, 2011. Became an administrator on September 7th, 2013.]
--Fazmotron--
A.K.A. - Ryan Farrell
How Chaz sees me.
BobBQ - I find your lack of :-{| disturbing.

FAZMOTRON.com

CtHuLhU
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby CtHuLhU » Fri Mar 12, 2010 9:09 am

45 minutes is a bit too short for something with this scale

Huh? EoE = 86 minutes (in 2 parts). Was this really not enough for such an action?
あやなみ ☆ すきだよ

SaltyJoe
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby SaltyJoe » Fri Mar 12, 2010 1:03 pm

You mean, do it in almost real time? Wild.

On another note, i don't think the story has enough steam left for two full length feature films. The finale of Rebuild could be (and should be) longer than EoE, but the tale is at it's end already.
"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it is too dark to read."

Xard
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Xard » Fri Mar 12, 2010 2:27 pm

SaltyJoe wrote:

You mean, do it in almost real time? Wild.

On another note, i don't think the story has enough steam left for two full length feature films. The finale of Rebuild could be (and should be) longer than EoE, but the tale is at it's end already.

SPOILER: Show
Don't tell me you're basing this claim on aborted Third Impact in 2.0

That's hardly a way to establish story being nearly over

Lucretius
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Lucretius » Fri Mar 12, 2010 3:21 pm

I'd say that the story is already nearing the end; there's only six episodes or so left to adapt.

And there probably won't be any psychodrama Angels like Arael and Armisael..

He shuddered a bit, remembering the somewhat creepy level of detail Kaji had gone into, while rubbing a watermelon in a disturbingly sexual way.

Life is a continuous nut-kicking contest where your turn comes last if ever. -majlund

Proud supporter of Shinji x Sachiel

Azathoth
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Azathoth » Fri Mar 12, 2010 4:08 pm

Lucretius wrote:
And there probably won't be any psychodrama Angels like Arael and Armisael..

Arael and Armisael have already appeared, from a character-development point of view. They just got collapsed into Bardiel and Zeruel respectively.

On the other hand, we do still have three (?) Angels left so they pretty much have free reign if they want to stick those two in there. I can't imagine the point, though. Rei's character has gone about as far as it's going to; Asuka's already had her bad trip (presumably). Maybe they could transfer the targets to other pilots: if they want to throw one at Mari they can be my guest but she's apparently immune to being a fuckup, unlike everyone else; and what about Kaworu's character could possibly be revealed by Angel encounters?

I'm going to stop talking before I just start generally complaining about Rebuild.
Nothing is so valuable that it need not be started afresh, nothing is so rich that it need not be enriched constantly.

Xard
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Xard » Fri Mar 12, 2010 5:19 pm

What Azatoth said.

Remember how dense and plot intensive 18-24 eps are in eva. There's no way in hell "story's nealy over" after equivalent of ep 19

SaltyJoe
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby SaltyJoe » Sat Mar 13, 2010 1:32 am

But elements from as late in the game as Episode 22,23 and 24 have already been incorporated into 2.0 (Kaworu shows up).

Also, the post-Zeruel episodes were extremelxy flashback heavy. I'm pretty sure that similar parts will be present in 3.0/4.0, but they will truncated to better fit the movie format.

We'll probably be getting an abridged version of "Nerv: The Birth", and some quick mindtrips. Most likely some backstory on Mari, too. As much as i love density regarding plot and presentation, i doubt that would work too well in a move format.

But The Super Duper God Eva Mark06 is already on Earth, along with Kaworu, and i doubt they will have them standing around for long. Nerv is gonna be locked down by some military force (probably on Seele's bidding) as early as 3.0, clearly corresponding to EoE, and that all important "Meeting of Children" is also gonna take place. So i would say that we defintely are at the end.
"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it is too dark to read."

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Sat Mar 13, 2010 2:00 am

I wouldn't hold out for two more films. When 1.0 ended the idea of four feature length films was perfectly reasonable. But after seeing 2.0 change everything up and take the narrative as far as they did (hell, Tokyo 3 is GONE) I can't fathom them having over 200 minutes of story left to tell.

What I'm hoping is Anno & Crew decide to just give this final film (I will refuse to call it 3.0 + 4.0 if they play them back to back, just like how I refuse to call End of Evangelion the 2 final episodes of NGE) a lengthy running time. That new Haruhi movie has a running time of 165 minutes. Longer than Avatar! If that series can get away with that than Evangelion should easily be allowed to have a running time of around 130 minutes. A perfect running time in my mind.
They could even still have this BS 3.0 + 4.0 thing. Just make each part last a solid hour or so.

Though I do hope they don't squeeze in a credit sequence in the middle of the film. That's perhaps the only flaw I personally feel exists in EOE.

NAveryW
Insect Politician
Insect Politician

•      
  •      

Postby NAveryW » Sat Mar 13, 2010 2:10 am

Gendo'sPapa wrote:Though I do hope they don't squeeze in a credit sequence in the middle of the film. That's perhaps the only flaw I personally feel exists in EOE.
Japanese people sit through credits anyway. No additional "Ugh, I have to sit through this."
"Today?... hmm... today... right... Um... I'm just gonna wing it." -Guess who

JoeD80
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby JoeD80 » Sat Mar 13, 2010 2:37 am

SaltyJoe wrote:
But The Super Duper God Eva Mark06 is already on Earth, along with Kaworu, and i doubt they will have them standing around for long.

we know from the Q preview that there's an Eva 08 with a pilot so logically there would be an Eva 07; that's two Evas in addition to Kaworu's Eva 06; so there's some story that we don't know.

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Sat Mar 13, 2010 3:13 am

Uh huh. I sit through credits myself whenever I go to the theaters. But to place them in the middle of the narrative is rather distracting and upsets the flow and pacing of a film.

SaltyJoe
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby SaltyJoe » Sat Mar 13, 2010 4:49 am

JoeD80 wrote:
we know from the Q preview that there's an Eva 08 with a pilot so logically there would be an Eva 07; that's two Evas in addition to Kaworu's Eva 06; so there's some story that we don't know.

What we do know that there is an Eva-08 and that someone will pilot it (personally, i think it will be Shinji, and Unit-08 is actually a repackaged Shogouki). The trailer says nothing about a new pilot.

But when i pointed to Kaworu and his Eva, i referred to the fact that the Final Angel (well, most likely the Final Angel) has already arrived, under pretty suspicious circumstances, too. I don't think he can do that "Oh, i'm just a normal boy" spiel for too long, what with coming done from the Moon and stopping Third Impact and piloting a visibly "different from the rest" Eva and all. And to me, it seems that he is being built up as the "Final Boss" for this saga, so i think that when he unveils his motives, that will be the final act. And i don't think they will hold that out for long.

Heromaster111
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby Heromaster111 » Sat Mar 13, 2010 4:03 pm

Gendo'sPapa wrote: That new Haruhi movie has a running time of 165 minutes. Longer than Avatar!.

Holy shit that's insane for an animated film.

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”