[LAEM] Can it work?

The place for all of the old Live Action Evangelion Movie threads.

Moderator: Board Staff

Dennis
Embryo

Can it work?

Postby Dennis » Mon Jun 21, 2004 7:38 am

I know the slated release date is 2006, but are there other fans who have feeling that the Live Action film will be seen as no more than a "giant-mecha film"? Sure, there will be a big turnout from the EVA fans, but do you think it will ucrease the fanbase by exposing them to something great?
*insert something witty*

DatDude
Test Subject
Test Subject

Postby DatDude » Mon Jun 21, 2004 8:57 am

My gut tells me this is not going to work. I cant explain it but im expecting D&D the movie badness out of this.

My one hope however is that it some how motivats Anno to write a sequle series.
There was an EVA Nerd here, but now he's gone.

bp32
Clockiel
Clockiel

Postby bp32 » Mon Jun 21, 2004 9:37 am

While I don't think there is any doubt that the average observer will view the film (at least the previews) as anything more than a giant-mecha film, that can all change once they actually see the film (if they keep to the spirit of Eva).

Think about it, the first time you saw Eva you probably went in thinking it was a run of the mill mecha story....even if it was better than most, it still drew you in with the impression that it was still bound by the basic structure of a mecha story. But once you were immersed in it you began to realize it was about something much more than simply mecha battles. This is exactly what happened to me and I am willing to bet some of you as well.

A lot of films follow this pattern--where people originally see the trailer and go, oh, its just a typicall shoot em up or sci fi movie, and then after they see it they tell other people, "no, wait, its not what you think, you have to check it out". I am sure the Matrix followed this pattern. Hopefully Eva would as well.
"Men judge generally more by the eye than by the hand, for everyone can see and few can feel. Every one sees what you appear to be, few really know what you are."-Niccolo Machiavelli

"In religion and politics, people's beliefs and convictions are in almost every case gotten at second hand, and without examination."-Mark Twain

dennisud
Embryo

Postby dennisud » Mon Jun 21, 2004 10:47 am

Unless your doing domething like the way the Final Fantasy movies were done, it will fall short to most serious Eva fans. The changes I know of are the fact that It will be set in New York (Oh how typical), the kids are not 14 but 16 years old, and they still haven't decided on whether it's an all in one story like the anime movies or a 3-movie deal following the series, like LOTR or the Star Wars series

So far that all I know.
Last edited by dennisud on Mon Jun 21, 2004 6:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dennisud

History repeats itself, especially for those who don't learn from it! Hence the name "Butt head!" Hehehehehehe!!

http://www.geocities.com/dennisud2015/

bp32
Clockiel
Clockiel

Postby bp32 » Mon Jun 21, 2004 10:55 am

Is the New York setting firm or just speculation? Honestly just curious I didn't hear anything about NYC from either ADV or Weta...
"Men judge generally more by the eye than by the hand, for everyone can see and few can feel. Every one sees what you appear to be, few really know what you are."-Niccolo Machiavelli

"In religion and politics, people's beliefs and convictions are in almost every case gotten at second hand, and without examination."-Mark Twain

EVA-01X
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

Postby EVA-01X » Mon Jun 21, 2004 11:18 am

I thought it was set in this "New City" place. Man, whats there that the Angels would want?
The demon returns after a long slumber....
http://www.evamade.org/user.php?id.161
New Signature Image Policy
^Clicky for Evamade!

Dennis
Embryo

Postby Dennis » Mon Jun 21, 2004 12:17 pm

I think the concept behind "New City" stems from the creators attempt to globalize the cast, taking them out of Japan, giving them names easier to pronounce. And what gives with the age change? At 14, the pilots are much more vulnerable and insecure, at 16 they would have had more of a backbone than their original age.
*insert something witty*

bp32
Clockiel
Clockiel

Postby bp32 » Mon Jun 21, 2004 12:27 pm

thatstoodamnbad wrote: And what gives with the age change? At 14, the pilots are much more vulnerable and insecure, at 16 they would have had more of a backbone than their original age.

Maybe they are thinking about the sexual situations the characters maybe involved in...I mean the whole point of having the characters be so young is that it hieghtens the feelings of insecurity and awkwardness around the opposite sex, but maybe they are thinking about how some of those situatiosn would play in teh West, especially in teh US where the audience (on average) is more uncomfortable with young characters in sexual situations. Although, 16 is still pretty young--maybe my theory just sucks :lol:

coff
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

Postby coff » Mon Jun 21, 2004 1:34 pm

Release date 2006? I thought it wasn't coming out until like 2008.

I don't think it really matters if they change the location of the story. The name changes will suck but as long as they keep the core of what Evangelion is about, I don't think it really matters that much.

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

Postby The Eva Monkey » Mon Jun 21, 2004 2:11 pm

I'm increasingly skeptical of this project. Can it work? Yes, it can. Will it work? I think the odds are against it.

wildarmsheero
Tunniel
Tunniel

Postby wildarmsheero » Mon Jun 21, 2004 2:21 pm

The Eva Monkey wrote:I think the odds are against it.
I totally agree.
Comic | Art | Music | Blog | Anime | DVDs
The Galaxy Express 999 will take you on a journey, a never-ending journey. The Galaxy Express 999 will take you on a journey into the stars!

Asterix
Embryo

Postby Asterix » Mon Jun 21, 2004 3:13 pm

I think the name changes are what turns me off the most about it.. Once you hear them a few times, it's not like any of the names are that hard to pronounce.

I haven't seen The Terminal yet, but based on all the stuff I've read about it, the story isn't anything close to the real story of the guy in France. Then again, they're saying it's not based on a true story, but I don't buy it. My point here is that we're seeing how well the movie land is keeping things to their roots, so I'm not holding my breath.

Then again, dang would I loved to be proven wrong. Once it does come out I'll certainly see it, regardless of how bang on or scewed it may be, though.
"why is it when an eva gets free will, the first thing it does is eat its own?"
"...tastes like chicken?"

Mr.Guy
Adam

Postby Mr.Guy » Mon Jun 21, 2004 4:03 pm

Didn't Tiffany Grant state something about the name change? About them being just place holders? I hope that's true... I don't really see why they need to be chnaged either. If people can deal with 'Frodo' then they sure as hell can deal with 'Shinji'.

She seems like a trustable person, and I believe I think I may go with her word on this. But there is always the chance that she's just saying that to appease the fans :?

Anyway... I can say for sure that I love the CGI that WETA is spitting out. I think the Evas have been captured fully in all their glory (I even like the toes ^_^). Ramiel is my only fret... it doesn't really look like its anime counterpart. Maybe by the time the movies out, it will have grown on me.

I also believe that this movie has the odds stacked againist it. Some things weren't made to be Live Action... Eva's fine the way it is. It's possible that they might capture what Eva is, but I highly doubt it.

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

Postby The Eva Monkey » Mon Jun 21, 2004 4:37 pm

Mr.Guy wrote:Didn't Tiffany Grant state something about the name change? About them being just place holders?

Yes, is stated here:

http://www.evamonkey.com/writings_grant2.php

coff
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

Postby coff » Mon Jun 21, 2004 7:14 pm

Mr.Guy wrote:Didn't Tiffany Grant state something about the name change? About them being just place holders? I hope that's true... I don't really see why they need to be chnaged either. If people can deal with 'Frodo' then they sure as hell can deal with 'Shinji'.

Yea but she also said that the cast will be european and that they wouldn't call a european boy Shinji. so you can expect the names to be changed.

Hunter21
Pilot
Pilot

Postby Hunter21 » Mon Jun 21, 2004 8:38 pm

What I am most concerned about is what they will decide to leave out of the movie. I liked the LOTR movies by WETA and Jackson, but they did leave out a lot of the character development from the book and focused more on the action aspect, and EVA is more about the struggles of the characters than about the battle scenes. Also Hollywood has a bad reputation of rewritting classic stories and destroying them. So I have to agree with The Eva Monkey, and say the odds are against it. Although if it motivates Anno to write a aftermath series (highly unlikely), i would sit through it no matter how bad it was.
EVANGERIONANIME is stupid

Come Join the Sakaki Fan Club!

Remember you're on Evageeks, where preset personal delusions outweigh reality.

yjs
Embryo

Postby yjs » Mon Jun 21, 2004 8:54 pm

I am very sceptical about the live action project. Unless they approach it from an independent filmaker-ish point of view, which usually deals with the characters and plot before action and sex, it could work.

It as an action film just wouldn't work. A purple/green robot just wouldn't appeal to mainstream audiences. But that's just my opinion.
"Go kill the lights, we'll glow till morning comes..."

My LiveJournal: http://www.livejournal.com/users/yujin_34/

dennisud
Embryo

Postby dennisud » Mon Jun 21, 2004 9:50 pm

Hunter21 wrote:What I am most concerned about is what they will decide to leave out of the movie. I liked the LOTR movies by WETA and Jackson, but they did leave out a lot of the character development from the book and focused more on the action aspect, and EVA is more about the struggles of the characters than about the battle scenes. Also Hollywood has a bad reputation of rewritting classic stories and destroying them. So I have to agree with The Eva Monkey, and say the odds are against it. Although if it motivates Anno to write a aftermath series (highly unlikely), i would sit through it no matter how bad it was.

This WILL be a major project involving Gainex, ADV and US production companies and such. So I agree in that a film simply can't cover what's on a book.
I read for instance "To Kill A Mockingbird" in school and it cuts out several Key characters in the movie plus a secondary storyline as well.

Now one good piece of news in the article is that fact that they're going to go for a 3 picture saga. I think the final Star Wars Movie which is where Anakin Skywalker becomes Darth Vader, a neagitve ending to a film will determine how and if they make all three films.

It's all tied up on how much each film makes. If the first Eva live movie doesn't reach what the producers and studios expectations, it won't matter. So expect the first movie to encompass the 3rd to 10 th Angels, or something like it so the rest of the darker part of the serries will be in the 2nd and 3rd film.

2006 is a reasonable situation so be patient but be ready anyway!
dennisud

History repeats itself, especially for those who don't learn from it! Hence the name "Butt head!" Hehehehehehe!!

http://www.geocities.com/dennisud2015/

Dave
Lilin
Lilin

Postby Dave » Mon Jun 21, 2004 11:35 pm

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0400911/board/nest/7573269
If the movie/movies are anything like this, I don't think it would be all that bad.
Beatus vir qui suffert tentationem.

Karma Burn
Sachiel
Sachiel

Postby Karma Burn » Wed Jun 23, 2004 7:55 pm

NO! Don't fool yourselves! All of you know that they aren't going to market this movie for the 'fans' (that's people like us). They are going to make an easily digestable plot, if it even has one with the way hollywood is to day, for the general public (that's people who barely know what "annymay" is). They are going to hype up the special effects cut down on the plot and basically destory the series for what it is, for people like us.

Though, of course, on the, excedingly, off chance that it does happen be good all of us, loyal fans, are going to go see the movie anyways, to support Anno's orginial idea. I hope he's getting some money out of this!

Deep down inside all of your souls, you know I'm right. No matter how much you hope or wish for it, this movie will be a flop! At least for people like us.
"Everyone but me has gone fucking nuts. I'm the eye of the goddam storm." - Tycho, Penny Arcade (Or a very irrate Fuyutsuki)

Return to “Live Action Evangelion Movie”