Shamshel and the Core

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
evangelist
Embryo

Shamshel and the Core

•      
  •      

Postby evangelist » Sun Oct 07, 2012 10:11 pm

In the TV series Shamshel (The Fourth Angel) is defeated by Unit - 01 and is left fully intact after having it's core pierced by the progressive knife. The intact angel specimen is used for research and IIRC the extensive research performed on the Angel's core and S² Engine was utilized in making the Mass produced Eva's (as well as helping determine blood type and the angels and humans similarity).

However in the rebuild series, when Shamshel is defeated by Unit - 01 it bursts in a gory manner, leaving only his impaling whips behind. Is this an oversight by Anno in regards to the creation of S² Engines in the future? Without research done on Shamshel's intact angel corpse how will they make the MP Eva's in the future?

This scene in the First Rebuild Movie has set my interest levels high on the series as I want to know how Anno will be able to weave this story out.

Hyper Shinchan
Younger God
Younger God

•      
  •      

Postby Hyper Shinchan » Sun Oct 07, 2012 10:45 pm

It's been speculated that the S² Engine, or its NME equivalent since the exact term hasn't been mentioned yet, could have been reverse engineered from the Third Angel, "Tunniel".
Maybe you could want to check out this thread which is tangentially related to this topic.

EDIT:
They don't have to necessarily make the Eva Series, the origin of the "S² Engine"', or its equivalent (if it's still derived from the Angels), remains an issue mainly because of Eva-04 and Eva Mark.06.
So let’s make a wish.
“Please let me redo again.”
No matter how many times

From the book “All About Nagisa Kaworu: A Child of Evangelion”.

TheFriskyIan
Lord Hamburger
Lord Hamburger

•      
  •      

Postby TheFriskyIan » Sun Oct 07, 2012 11:39 pm

While we're on the discussion of Angels dieing. Why is it that the only Angels that explode when they are killed are the ones that wouldn't be an inconvenience to the Eva pilots? Like almost every time an Angel is defeated very close it just simply disintegrates, but when the pilot is out of harms way no matter what, the thing explodes and causes maximum destruction everywhere.
Please just call me Ian, "TheFrisky" is more of a title.

"Knowledge seeks no Man."

Monk Ed
Sunshine Administrator
Sunshine Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Monk Ed » Mon Oct 08, 2012 12:19 am

View Original PostTheFriskyIan wrote:While we're on the discussion of Angels dieing. Why is it that the only Angels that explode when they are killed are the ones that wouldn't be an inconvenience to the Eva pilots? Like almost every time an Angel is defeated very close it just simply disintegrates, but when the pilot is out of harms way no matter what, the thing explodes and causes maximum destruction everywhere.

Didn't "the falling Angel" explode with all the Evas right next to it? In both series?
System Administrator
"NGE is like a perfectly improvised jazz piece. It builds on a standard and then plays off it from there, and its developments may occasionally recall what it's done before as a way of keeping the whole concatenated." -- Eva Yojimbo
"To me watching anime is not just for killing time or entertainment, it is a life style, and a healthy one too." -- symbv
"That sounds like the kind of science that makes absolutely 0 sense when you stop and think about it... I LOVE IT." -- Rosenakahara

TheFriskyIan
Lord Hamburger
Lord Hamburger

•      
  •      

Postby TheFriskyIan » Mon Oct 08, 2012 1:41 am

View Original PostMonk Ed wrote:Didn't "the falling Angel" explode with all the Evas right next to it? In both series?

No, it just turned into a giant title wave of blood. I didn't count that as an explosion.

Sgt. Griff
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Sgt. Griff » Mon Oct 08, 2012 1:56 am

View Original PostTheFriskyIan wrote:No, it just turned into a giant title wave of blood. I didn't count that as an explosion.

Satchiel Exploded while hugging UNit 01.
Leave Shinji alone

TheFriskyIan
Lord Hamburger
Lord Hamburger

•      
  •      

Postby TheFriskyIan » Mon Oct 08, 2012 9:46 am

View Original PostSgt. Griff wrote:Satchiel Exploded while hugging UNit 01.

He was the only exception.

Kendrix
Defender of Puppy Boy
Defender of Puppy Boy

•      
  •      

Postby Kendrix » Mon Oct 08, 2012 10:17 am

View Original PostSgt. Griff wrote:Satchiel Exploded while hugging UNit 01.

That was deliberate suicide maneuver - the others just turned into goo.

Then again, the left-behing light whips would still make potential research material.

And they *are* noticing that potential hole, note how the dialogues surrounding EVA 04 are changed - they were "investigating an alternative Energy source" and Ritsuko was kept out of the loop (while everyone seemed to know about the S2-engine being built in in ep 17), suggesting there are secrets, just like with the Dummy plug...

It seems like SEELE is taking a more decentralistic approach here, instead of having everything done in Nerv HQ, they spread the secretive stuff out on all the branches, so it'd be far away from Gendo's reach.
He had to resort to blowing up Bethany Base to stop whatever was going on there.

of course, having them doing various secret things really justifies why they have those branch facilities at (other than justifying EVA 03 and the hawt foreighn fanservice) all if the Angels will onlx attack Tokyo-3 anyway.
I wanted to try harvesting the rice

I wanted to hold Tsubame more

I wanted to stay together forever with the boy I like

Der Kommissar
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby Der Kommissar » Mon Oct 08, 2012 11:04 am

It's not like big explosions are much threat to Evangelions, anyway. In NGE, Israfel went off like an atom bomb and all that did to Asuka and Shinji was leave them in a pile arguing over who screwed up and if the former had tried to kiss the latter in her sleep.

Since Evas still have their AT fields, I doubt an Angel exploding poses much threat once its own AT field has collapsed.

Lurkis
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Lurkis » Mon Oct 08, 2012 5:27 pm

If Rebuild does eventually involve the MP Eva's, it would make sense that most of the research for their construction came from the 3rd Angel as it was captured.

This is just with the current knowledge however, no doubt Anno could easily add some major information within the next 2 films.

That being said, can't wait for Quickening ^^

Warren Peace
Potential Pilot
Potential Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Warren Peace » Mon Oct 08, 2012 10:08 pm

I'm not sure why they should bother with the S² concept at all. If MPEs are introduced, you could have them all relying on Beast Mode (depending on what exactly that turns out to be).

Chroma
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby Chroma » Tue Oct 09, 2012 11:18 am

View Original PostWarren Peace wrote:I'm not sure why they should bother with the S² concept at all. If MPEs are introduced, you could have them all relying on Beast Mode (depending on what exactly that turns out to be).

While I don't expect to see the Harpies, it'd make sense for them to work on Beast Mode, at least on one point, rather than an S² engine. Speaking of that, was the S² engine ever even mentioned in Rebuild?
"What we needed were not words and promises, but the steady accumulation of small realities."
South of the Border, West of the Sun - Haruki Murakami

Fics: Ao3 https://archiveofourown.org/users/Sensha_do

Hyper Shinchan
Younger God
Younger God

•      
  •      

Postby Hyper Shinchan » Tue Oct 09, 2012 11:45 am

View Original PostWarren Peace wrote:I'm not sure why they should bother with the S² concept at all. If MPEs are introduced, you could have them all relying on Beast Mode (depending on what exactly that turns out to be).

They would still need an infinite energy source, unless you want to seem them quickly defeated like Eva-02 in Air.
View Original PostChroma wrote:Speaking of that, was the S² engine ever even mentioned in Rebuild?

Nope but they do mention an experimental engine designated to overcome the operation limit when they talk about the incident of Eva-04.
So let’s make a wish.
“Please let me redo again.”
No matter how many times

From the book “All About Nagisa Kaworu: A Child of Evangelion”.

Shinoyami65
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

•      
  •      

Postby Shinoyami65 » Sat Oct 27, 2012 8:41 am

They probably researched the S² Engine with Tunniel (they reduced it to bones, so I guess they probably have a great deal of data on it) and experimented on it with Eva-04, which wasn't a success. The Second Impact-like crater explosion caused by Eva-04 heavily implies that it was an S² Engine malfunction, although that's not outright stated this time. So Seele could very well have the ability to build MP Evas by the final film, although since the ending is going to be different they probably won't appear or won't be exactly the same as the MP Evas we love to hate. Beast Mode as I recall still runs on internal battery so they wouldn't have the same limitless energy as in EoE if they ran on that alone. Beast Mode+S² Engine could be a deadly combo though.

Or if Eva-01 got the S² Engine after the Tenth Angel battle they could research it.
E̱͡v͈̙e͔̰̳͙r̞͍y͏̱̲̭͎̪ṱ͙̣̗̱͠h̰̰i͙n̶̮̟̳͍͍̫͓g̩ ̠͈en̶̖̹̪d̸̙̦͙̜͕͍̞s̸̰.̳̙̺̟̻̀

I always thought I might be bad
Now I know that it's true
Because I think you're so good
And I'm nothing like you

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Sat Oct 27, 2012 11:30 am

View Original PostHyper Shinchan wrote:Nope but they do mention an experimental engine designated to overcome the operation limit when they talk about the incident of Eva-04.

S2 Engines/Organs and/or "pseudo" versions thereof are mentioned in the script all the way up to the storyboard phase of 2.0, and it's name-dropped in Anno's initial sketch of Tunniel as well. So they've been at least thinking about the concept, even if they haven't committed to its presence, and could still well pull another concept on us in the next two films.

The Fruit of Life has been mentioned, however.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

StratoSakuya...AF
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby StratoSakuya...AF » Sat Oct 27, 2012 1:41 pm

View Original PostReichu wrote:S2 Engines/Organs and/or "pseudo" versions thereof are mentioned in the script all the way up to the storyboard phase of 2.0, and it's name-dropped in Anno's initial sketch of Tunniel as well. So they've been at least thinking about the concept, even if they haven't committed to its presence, and could still well pull another concept on us in the next two films.

The Fruit of Life has been mentioned, however.

I just want to know how it looks damnit.
SO THERE I WAS BEING KUBO, WHEN THE EDITORS CAME IN AND WERE LIKE "YOU NEED TO DO MORE THAN PANELS OF WHITE PILLARS AND BLACKGROUNDS!" AND I WAS LIKE "FUCK YOU, I'M KUBO!" SO THEY WERE LIKE "WELL HOW ABOUT SOMEBODY DYING?" AND I WAS LIKE "FUCK YOU, I'M KUBO!" AND I MADE LOTS AND LOTS OF MONEY. I LOVE MY LIFE.

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”