Evangelion 3.0 Speculation [1]

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
ScottAsher
Embryo

Postby ScottAsher » Thu Oct 25, 2012 11:45 pm

View Original PostMerkaba wrote:Also, why all the hate for Geass on this forum? It had a plot (a prince seeking to overthrow the empire his father built in order to unite the world and offer all humans peace; a great plot, in my mind) and tons character development (almost every character ended up making decisions that conflicted with their morals from the beginning of the series).

Because it's cool to hate on popular things.

Also, on the topic of character development and that one guys "cool fights" comment, I don't get why you guys are flipping shit and freaking out about Evangelion 3.0 not having enough time to develop characters. Honestly it's tiring going on this forum and reading "THIS MOVIE'S GONNA BE BAD BECAUSE MARI'S IN IT AND SHE'S UNDERDEVELOPED BLAH BLAH BLAH." You've only seen what, 10 minutes of her? Of course she's 'underdeveloped.' She hasn't gotten any screentime. You have no idea what she's going to really be like, don't you guys realize we haven't seen her outside of a fight scene? You see Asuka in her fight scenes and think "wow she's so confident and cool" then you see her laying in bed talking to a puppet and think "wow she's so fucked up."

Seriously give the damn movie a chance to come out before saying it's bad and the characters aren't going to be developed. Shinji and Rei have both changed a lot since the beginning of 1.0, and Asuka changes a lot with the (admittedly small) screentime she gets in 2.0. Same with Misato, even. They all develop.

Also, there's still 4.0 and we don't know if it's all gonna come tumbling down or if there's going to be a new ending, (Which I'm willing to bet there will be a new one) so you need to count in that for character development, too.

Anyway, on the topic of the plot of the movie, am I the only one that's expecting MarixAsuka to become canon? I can seriously see it happening, with there being a friendly rivalry, then they get into a screaming match that ends in an angry make-out session.

They did say this one would split the fanbase. So I'm willing to bet either ShinjixKaworu (More likely) or MarixAsuka becomes canon.

(I don't support the ReixShinji ship so I'm not saying anything there.)

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Mr. Tines » Fri Oct 26, 2012 2:29 am

1) Code Geass was full of "LOL Sunrise", Pizza Hut sponsorship, and a change in tmeslot between seasons that caused a sudden change of direction.

2) As for MxA -- they're not magical girls, so the Japanese bias against lesbians will out.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Brainman
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

Postby Brainman » Fri Oct 26, 2012 6:49 am

^
2.) Maybe that's what will be such a "splitting" issue (I'll just let you deal with that).
Why do they even want the Loc-Nar? All it does is melt you.

Alaska Slim
Frigus Ignoramus
Frigus Ignoramus

One reason... Bl

Postby Alaska Slim » Fri Oct 26, 2012 7:45 am

View Original PostMerkaba wrote:Also, why all the hate for Geass on this forum?

It's CLAMP trying to be edgy, do you need another reason?

Their sweet spot is creating effigies of exaggerated human emotions and placing them in fantasy or otherwise surreal settings. Those however do not mix with attempts to have a serious plot. A similar concoction in the gaming world is known as Final Fantasy VIII-X2.

There is though, one reason to watch that I'll grant you. It's the same for why I don't blame myself anymore for watching Yu-Gi-Oh!

@MxA: ...I consider it a blessing that I was not fiendish nor perverted enough to imagine this before now. Then again, I didn't perceive "Gay" in Shinji and Kawrou's relationship until I stumbled upon Fandumb, so hey, I could be dense. BP

To count against it, if there was an intention for a relationship to develop, then they should have interacted at some point in 2.0. Instead, all of her interactions have been with Shinji, implying she will impact him somehow in the future. Add to this the CRC talk of creators doing away with any ideas of a Asuka and Mari prior-acquaintance, and the supposed rivalry resulting in a triangle, both with Shinji, and with Unit-02.
Last edited by Alaska Slim on Fri Oct 26, 2012 8:08 am, edited 2 times in total.
"Therefore encourage one another and build one another up, just as you are doing." - 1 Thessalonians 5:11

"It is one of the blessings of old friends that you can afford to be stupid with them." -Ralph Waldo Emerson

"God is in his Heaven, and free men walk upon the Earth" - Rev. Robert Sirico, President of the Acton Institute

bobbyfischer's ghost
Test Subject
Test Subject

Re: One reason... Bl

Postby bobbyfischer's ghost » Fri Oct 26, 2012 7:52 am

View Original PostAlaska Slim wrote:
There is though, one reason

Oh god purple eyes why you so crazy?

____
Topic
View Original PostScottAsher wrote: am I the only one that's expecting MarixAsuka to become canon?

Not very likely unless Asuka smells of LCL 24/7.
Last edited by bobbyfischer's ghost on Fri Oct 26, 2012 8:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Current avatar: Shotoku in winter
"Political Correctness is Fascism pretending to be Manners." ~ George Carlin
Wilt Chamberlain answers the infamous question.

TheTuna
Adam

Postby TheTuna » Fri Oct 26, 2012 8:23 am

View Original PostScottAsher wrote:Anyway, on the topic of the plot of the movie, am I the only one that's expecting MarixAsuka to become canon? I can seriously see it happening, with there being a friendly rivalry, then they get into a screaming match that ends in an angry make-out session.

I'm not expecting it, not in a million years, but that would be both hilarious and amazing.

I really do hope that we get to see some Mari/Asuka combat sequences. I can't imagine them being anything but fun as hell to watch battling together.

Also, Asuka's inevitable murder attempt in revenge for Mari getting Unit-02 beat to hell should be entertaining.

Xard
Banned

Re: One reason... Bl

Postby Xard » Fri Oct 26, 2012 9:13 am

View Original PostAlaska Slim wrote:It's CLAMP trying to be edgy, do you need another reason?

You just went full retard. CLAMP did character designs, that's it. You might as well claim Mouryou no Hako is CLAMP "trying to be edgy"

Warren Peace
Potential Pilot
Potential Pilot

Postby Warren Peace » Fri Oct 26, 2012 9:20 am

As long as we're firing in random directions: weren't the Eden of the East movies a tremendous disappointment? No way Q could be worse than those. Awful. Just awful.

cd603
Sachiel
Sachiel

Postby cd603 » Fri Oct 26, 2012 9:59 am

View Original PostWarren Peace wrote:As long as we're firing in random directions: weren't the Eden of the East movies a tremendous disappointment? No way Q could be worse than those. Awful. Just awful.

Actually that whole show is what it is. The movies didn't bring it down or anything, but it also doesn't improve much either.
Q will be good...I hope.

StratoSakuya...AF
Shamshel
Shamshel

Postby StratoSakuya...AF » Fri Oct 26, 2012 1:48 pm

View Original PostMr. Tines wrote:2) As for MxA -- they're not magical girls, so the Japanese bias against lesbians will out.

Didn't Asuka befriended a blonde with a pink boomstick when she was younger?
SO THERE I WAS BEING KUBO, WHEN THE EDITORS CAME IN AND WERE LIKE "YOU NEED TO DO MORE THAN PANELS OF WHITE PILLARS AND BLACKGROUNDS!" AND I WAS LIKE "FUCK YOU, I'M KUBO!" SO THEY WERE LIKE "WELL HOW ABOUT SOMEBODY DYING?" AND I WAS LIKE "FUCK YOU, I'M KUBO!" AND I MADE LOTS AND LOTS OF MONEY. I LOVE MY LIFE.

simon
Sachiel
Sachiel

Postby simon » Fri Oct 26, 2012 2:20 pm

View Original PostMr. Tines wrote:1) Code Geass was full of "LOL Sunrise", Pizza Hut sponsorship, and a change in tmeslot between seasons that caused a sudden change of direction.

and the most amazing male character every portrayed in a movie. And that makes it an amazing anime. Period.
"Images, quotes, and code tags are not allowed in Signatures."
Just some awesome polish art site:fototapety

Removal
Embryo

Postby Removal » Fri Oct 26, 2012 3:03 pm

Any thoughts on possible Mari and Shinji interaction? I think 2.0's parachute scene was a bit of a prelude to more expanded dialogue exchange later.
They don't think it be like it is, but it do.

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

Postby Bagheera » Fri Oct 26, 2012 3:12 pm

View Original PostRemoval wrote:Any thoughts on possible Mari and Shinji interaction? I think 2.0's parachute scene was a bit of a prelude to more expanded dialogue exchange later.

There didn't seem to be any chemistry whatsoever between them in the show, but given the real-life inspirations for the characters I can't help but think their interactions will be key in Q and Final.

And simon, I think there is perhaps no better way to sum up why people hate CG than what you wrote right there. Nothing turns people off a show like a fanbase that thinks it's the best thing ever.
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

bobbyfischer's ghost
Test Subject
Test Subject

Postby bobbyfischer's ghost » Fri Oct 26, 2012 3:24 pm

View Original PostBagheera wrote: I can't help but think their interactions will be key in Q and Final.

Hopefully it's more than just a short pep talk.

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

Postby Bagheera » Fri Oct 26, 2012 3:39 pm

View Original Postbobbyfischer's ghost wrote:Hopefully it's more than just a short pep talk.

Well, she's supposed to destroy Eva, right? I can think of two ways to do that: the first is to kill Shinji, while the second is to get him laid. Since the first is unlikely . . . :shrug:

Not that getting laid will necessarily fix one's social problems, mind; I'm mainly using that as shorthand for "learns to accept himself and others, grows up, and hooks up happily with a willing partner." It's a lot more complex than that, of course, but that's nevertheless a giant step down the right track, as Anno himself discovered with [s]Mari[/s] his wife.
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

bobbyfischer's ghost
Test Subject
Test Subject

Postby bobbyfischer's ghost » Fri Oct 26, 2012 4:03 pm

Yeah cutting Shinji's dependance on Eva is key and what better way than to make friends outside of Eva.

Clover
Leliel
Leliel

Postby Clover » Fri Oct 26, 2012 5:24 pm

View Original PostBagheera wrote:Well, she's supposed to destroy Eva, right? I can think of two ways to do that: the first is to kill Shinji, while the second is to get him laid. Since the first is unlikely . . . :shrug:

She can't kill Shinji. She can kill Kaworu.
If that didn't split the fanbase, nothing would.

bobbyfischer's ghost
Test Subject
Test Subject

Postby bobbyfischer's ghost » Fri Oct 26, 2012 5:36 pm

View Original PostClover wrote:She can't kill Shinji. She can kill Kaworu.
If that didn't split the fanbase, nothing would.

Considering she had trouble with the previous angel that seems highly unlikely.

It's probably going to be Shinji that kills Kaworu again .

TheTuna
Adam

Postby TheTuna » Fri Oct 26, 2012 5:41 pm

Given the nature of the comment "destroy Eva", I can't help but wonder if she'll be the pilot of whatever the "big bad" Eva ends up being (Unit-08?)

I'd prefer she not be a villain, but I'm sure she could work quite well as one.

Clover
Leliel
Leliel

Postby Clover » Fri Oct 26, 2012 5:42 pm

View Original Postbobbyfischer's ghost wrote:Considering she had trouble with the previous angel that seems highly unlikely.

It's probably going to be Shinji that kills Kaworu again .

Kaworu was the easiest Angel. Unless he's in the Mark 6 or actually trying to defend himself, you could kill him on foot. I wouldn't compare Tabris to fucking ZERUEL any day.

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”