Have you seen a Shakespeare-inspired anime?

Non-Eva Anime and Manga discussion

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Blithe
Embryo

Re: Have you seen a Shakespeare-inspired anime?

•      
  •      

Postby Blithe » Tue May 03, 2016 6:34 pm

View Original PostTheAyanamiOtaku wrote:Any of you guys heard of any anime based off a Shakespeare play? If so, list here and discuss!

If not then I suppose we can all talk about which one's we'll want to see anime-ized.

I have no heard of any anime inspired by a Shakespeare play, but I do want to see

The Tempest, Othello, and Antony & Cleopatra

anime-ized. I know, people'll shout "WHAT ABOUT ()" but I haven't read a lot of Shakespeare (I'm also making this thread to try and lure out the Shakespeare otakus out in the open). Sue me.

Zetsuen no Tempest

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Thu May 05, 2016 10:52 am

View Original PostBlithe wrote:Zetsuen no Tempest

Yeah, that was my first thought. It's not based on any Shakespeare play directly, but it references it all over the place on all sorts of different levels.

Also, Kimba the White Lion is basically King Lear IIRC. And, come to think of it, I'd be pretty astonished if an anime hadn't been made based on a reinterpreted Romeo and Juliet.
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Thu May 05, 2016 4:38 pm

View Original PostBagheera wrote:I'd be pretty astonished if an anime hadn't been made based on a reinterpreted Romeo and Juliet.
See previous page.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Thu May 05, 2016 4:45 pm

View Original PostMr. Tines wrote:See previous page.

I don't mean an actual adaptation, I mean a loose retelling a la The Lion King as King Lear. So, some story that's Romeo and Juliet by the numbers even though it uses stock anime tropes and characters and is called something else.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Fri May 06, 2016 5:03 pm

Depending on how wide you draw the limits, there's Kemonozume, for one.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Fri May 06, 2016 9:06 pm

In a "customers who bought this item also purchased..." sort of vein, there's the western animated series Gargoyles (an unusual and intriguing gambit by Disney in the late 90s), much of which is unadulterated Shakespearean nerdgasm.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

Alaska Slim
Frigus Ignoramus
Frigus Ignoramus

•      
  •      

Postby Alaska Slim » Thu May 12, 2016 5:27 am

Nisekoi is totally like Romeo & Juliet. They're two star-struck lovers from feuding families.
With extras.

It's totally true, you should check it out. The characters haven't died yet, but they'll get there.

This is totally relevant, and yet it's not.
"Therefore encourage one another and build one another up, just as you are doing." - 1 Thessalonians 5:11

"It is one of the blessings of old friends that you can afford to be stupid with them." -Ralph Waldo Emerson

"God is in his Heaven, and free men walk upon the Earth" - Rev. Robert Sirico, President of the Acton Institute

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Thu May 12, 2016 6:01 am

OTOH they were publicly pushed together, which is a rather major difference. Nor do they realise how star-struck they really are.

(And the link was fun, too).
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Thu May 12, 2016 8:45 am

View Original PostAlaska Slim wrote:Nisekoi is totally like Romeo & Juliet. They're two star-struck lovers from feuding families.
With extras.

Don't tell them that! Don't tell Onodera, either, as she'd be heartbroken.

Javik
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Javik » Mon Aug 01, 2016 3:23 pm

Since Zetsuen no Tempest was already mentioned I'll add Windaria.

Director Black
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby Director Black » Mon Aug 15, 2016 5:47 pm

Revolutionary Girl Utena's buildings are drawn in a very Shakespearean way.
Anywhere Can Be Paradise as Long As I Have the Will to Live...

...after all, I am Alive, So I'll Always Have the Chance to Be Happy.

fichra
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby fichra » Sun Jun 25, 2017 6:36 pm

I dont know about any specifically scripted off of shakespeare but zetsuen no tempest uses a lot of references to hamlet and the tempest and a lot of the start is a mirrored version of them except with supernatural powers and is modernized it is an incredible anime that is worth watching when you have the time

Return to “Anime and Manga”