Have you seen a Shakespeare-inspired anime?

Non-Eva Anime and Manga discussion

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

TheAyanamiOtaku
Test Subject
Test Subject

Have you seen a Shakespeare-inspired anime?

•      
  •      

Postby TheAyanamiOtaku » Sun May 31, 2009 1:26 am

Any of you guys heard of any anime based off a Shakespeare play? If so, list here and discuss!

If not then I suppose we can all talk about which one's we'll want to see anime-ized.

I have no heard of any anime inspired by a Shakespeare play, but I do want to see

The Tempest, Othello, and Antony & Cleopatra

anime-ized. I know, people'll shout "WHAT ABOUT ()" but I haven't read a lot of Shakespeare (I'm also making this thread to try and lure out the Shakespeare otakus out in the open). Sue me.
Rei: I'm not your puppet.

The Allied States of Syraneen

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Sun May 31, 2009 1:43 am

Gonzo did something they called Romeo and Juliet a couple of years back. I didn't watch it, but just read what people were saying about it.

On balance, I think this is one place where 3D is better than 2D.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

ZapX
Guided by the New Era
Guided by the New Era

•      
  •      

Postby ZapX » Sun May 31, 2009 1:44 am

I just got this vision of Norio Wakamoto doing Shakespeare. Now THAT would be awesome.

I think plenty of the comedies would make good anime given their bawdy humor and easily adapted stories. Measure for Measure, All's Well That Ends Well, &c.

There have to be some anime based on his plays somewhere though. Someone like Ornette or Tines may know of some.
ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ"Stop watching anime. it makes you think all girls are incredibly hot and shy, and there are 10 that all want your boner which just isn't true." -Brik-aniki

"I CAN'T HELP IT THAT I WANT TO EAT MY OWN VULVA AND SHARE IT WITH A LOVED ONE!"-Reichu

"I have a fetish for naked women with stigmata playing ping pong in the mud. Is there a name for that?" -Kaiser O-Ornette-dono-sama

“Don’t do that; that was probably hooker money.” -SSD on me holding money with my mouth

Shiro
Scribe
Scribe

•      
  •      

Postby Shiro » Sun May 31, 2009 1:47 am

Yeah, there's an anime called Romeo x Juliet, but apparently it wasn't very good or something, and didn't follow the Shakespeare plot at all. Never saw it myself.

...and why is R&J the play that gets the most attention of his? It's not my favourite Shakespeare story by any means, and Romeo and Juliet are far from a functional couple...it's ridiculous when people call their lovers their "Romeo" or their "Juliet." THEY KNEW EACH OTHER FOR A FEW WEEKS AT MOST.

Anyway.

Yeah. I can't think of any other anime based on his plays.
Rebuild of Evangelion 1.0: YOU ARE (NOT) ALONE -My fanfic. COMPLETE, HAHA! 2/25/08.
2.0: YOU ARE (NOT) WORTHLESS: Updated (!!) 7/14/08
Nigecha dame da...
"Kaworu is not a character. Kaworu is a plot device. Kaworu sucks." -Reichu

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Sun May 31, 2009 1:56 am

Shiro wrote:it's ridiculous when people call their lovers their "Romeo" or their "Juliet."
Which would be appropriate for an older guy going after a 14 year old, then both going an hero shortly thereafter.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

SaltyJoe
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby SaltyJoe » Sun May 31, 2009 6:01 am

I, myself have never heard of an anime directly inspired by a Shakespeare play.

The only Shakespeare inspired thing to come out of Japan was Kurosawa's Ran, a loose adaptation of King Lear, to the best of my knowledge.

I have a few ideas though:
A Midsummer Night's Dream could be made into a visually compelling, fantasy sprinkled anime without changing the original story too much.

Macbeth would be a good candidate for a darker, more sinister anime about lust for power, consequences of actions and insanity. Swap the setting from Scotland to feudal Japan (or a sci-fi setting), and voila.

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Sun May 31, 2009 7:10 am

This is so fitting considering I took a Shakespeare class last quarter. :smirk:

My personal choices for Shakespeare-based anime (If any of these exist, somebody drop a line in here):

Othello

A Midsummer Night's Dream

12th Night or: What you will

And something like the whole Henreids (sp) of Henry the IV/V and such would be interesting. (I forget the kings before and after Henry IV seeing as I only read Henry IV part one.)

Shiro: What's insane about Romeo and Juliet (as well as West Side Story) is they only knew each other for a day before falling in love at first sight. WTF. @_@
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Sun May 31, 2009 7:47 am

SaltyJoe wrote:The only Shakespeare inspired thing to come out of Japan was Kurosawa's Ran, a loose adaptation of King Lear, to the best of my knowledge.
Macbeth would be a good candidate

Kurosawa's film Throne of Blood was an adaptation of the Scottish Play

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Ornette » Sun May 31, 2009 9:29 am

The thing about Romeo x Juliet is that Shakespeare was in the show, he was a playwright and put on plays and such. He was inspired by Romeo and Juliet's plight and decided to write a play about them (shockingly, named "Romeo and Juliet"). If you can get past that part of it, the show isn't really that bad, except for the ending, and maybe the whole life giving tree thing. When it first started airing, it was probably the show I most looked forward to see the next episode, until it started getting a little too hokey toward the end.

And apparently, there's a Tempest manga.

TheAyanamiOtaku
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby TheAyanamiOtaku » Sun May 31, 2009 12:06 pm

Shiro wrote:...it's ridiculous when people call their lovers their "Romeo" or their "Juliet."

seconded:

Romeo had his eyes on teh sex (remember his speec on the hand on glove lmao)
In the catacombs (I think) Juliet hears a sound and becomes an hero.
Mercutio was my favorite character.

Mr. Tines wrote:
SaltyJoe wrote:The only Shakespeare inspired thing to come out of Japan was Kurosawa's Ran, a loose adaptation of King Lear, to the best of my knowledge.
Macbeth would be a good candidate

Kurosawa's film Throne of Blood was an adaptation of the Scottish Play

Wikipedia wrote:The American literary critic Harold Bloom judged it "the most successful film version of Macbeth.

sounds cool, I'll look for it.

Ornette: I checked out some pages of the manga Tempest, and I like the style...

SaltyJoe
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby SaltyJoe » Sun May 31, 2009 2:49 pm

Mr. Tines wrote:Kurosawa's film Throne of Blood was an adaptation of the Scottish Play

Thanks! Now i know! And knowing keeps the doctor away or something.

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Sun May 31, 2009 7:26 pm

I want to see an anime version of Titus Andronicus.
Rest In Peace ~ 1978 - 2017
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf
"I think internet message boards and the like are dangerous." - Anno

TheAyanamiOtaku
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby TheAyanamiOtaku » Sun May 31, 2009 11:20 pm

was that the really bloody early one?

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Mon Jun 01, 2009 1:12 am

A classic 'everybody dies' affair, but the whole play can be summed up as: conquest, treachery, murder, treachery, rape, torture, mutilation, treachery, mutilation, madness, murder, treachery, cannibalism, and finally a whole bunch of murder all at once.
Rest In Peace ~ 1978 - 2017
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf
"I think internet message boards and the like are dangerous." - Anno

TheAyanamiOtaku
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby TheAyanamiOtaku » Mon Jun 01, 2009 7:05 pm

oh man add that one to my list too!

PuppetChaos
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby PuppetChaos » Tue Jun 02, 2009 3:18 pm

I think Hamlet would make a good anime. Death, family angst, revenge, more angst, death, yet more angst and a lot of death at the end.
DeviantART | YouTube | LiveJournal
I think the 00 Gundam is a pretty cool guy, eh teleports and doesnt afraid of anything

SaltyJoe
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby SaltyJoe » Wed Jun 03, 2009 10:29 am

How 'bout anime/Shakespeare crossovers?

Lupin III vs. Richard III. You can throw in Rei III to if you want.

I don't know what kind of a plot would be suitable for that, but it might turn out awesome.

Eva Yojimbo
Redbeard
Redbeard

Re: Have you seen a Shakespeare-inspired anime?

•      
  •      

Postby Eva Yojimbo » Mon Jun 08, 2009 10:18 pm

TheAyanamiOtaku wrote:(I'm also making this thread to try and lure out the Shakespeare otakus out in the open).
:mwahaha: Count me in.

Never seen a Shakespeare anime, but there are a couple that I think would fit in perfectly. The comedies, especially, are often so off the wall that it would fit right in with the exaggerated, expressionistic, abstract style of anime. I really don't want to see Bill's darker, more serious and poetic works done with anime. But Midsummer, Tempest, Twelfth Night, Marry Wives? Hells yes. I would also really like to see an anime Falstaff.
Cinelogue & Forced Perspective Cinema
^ Writing as Jonathan Henderson ^
We're all adrift on the stormy seas of Evangelion, desperately trying to gather what flotsam can be snatched from the gale into a somewhat seaworthy interpretation so that we can at last reach the shores of reason and respite. - ObsessiveMathsFreak
Jimbo has posted enough to be considered greater than or equal to everyone, and or synonymous with the concept of 'everyone'. - Muggy
I've seen so many changeful years, / to Earth I am a stranger grown: / I wander in the ways of men, / alike unknowing and unknown: / Unheard, unpitied, unrelieved, / I bear alone my load of care; / For silent, low, on beds of dust, / Lie all that would my sorrows share. - Robert Burns' Lament for James

BrikHaus
Dokutah Tenma
Dokutah Tenma

Re: Have you seen a Shakespeare-inspired anime?

•      
  •      

Postby BrikHaus » Tue Jun 09, 2009 1:12 pm

TheAyanamiOtaku wrote:(I'm also making this thread to try and lure out the Shakespeare otakus out in the open).

I didn't know such a thing existed.
Awesomely Shitty
-"That purace has more badassu maddafaakas zan supermax spaceland."
-On EMF, as a thread becomes longer, the likelihood that fem-Kaworu will be mentioned increases exponentially.
-the only English language novel actually being developed in parallel to its Japanese version involving a pan-human Soviet in a galactic struggle to survive and to export the communist utopia/revolution to all the down trodden alien class and race- one of the premise being that Khrushchev remains and has abandoned Lysenko stupidity

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Tue Jun 09, 2009 4:14 pm

Eva Yojimbo wrote:I would also really like to see an anime Falstaff.

YES. That would be great.

For that matter, seeing an anime Iago would be very interesting. (Him being one of THE most evil characters in Shakespeare and such.)
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

Return to “Anime and Manga”