Characters you dislike the most?

Non-Eva Anime and Manga discussion

Moderators: New Moderators, Board Staff

Alaska Slim
Frigus Ignoramus
Frigus Ignoramus
User avatar
Posts: 4888
Joined: Oct 08, 2007
Location: The Land Up Over
Gender: Male

Gundam Wing--sh*t.

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Alaska Slim » Sat Feb 23, 2013 4:13 am

Relena Peacecraft:

"HEEERO! Go ahead! Kill him!"

Yes, because a guy who tried to kill you once now suddenly takes orders from you, and in fact was waiting for such an order with the fight well under way.

I always :cringe: at how the English VA says "Heero". Wouldn't listen to it,'cept I thought by switching between language tracks I could keep the stupid from overwhelming me somehow. In spoken words or text however, it's still an ordeal.

Also: Every character in Tokko not Kaoru. The "main characters" simply got in the way of appreciating his awesome.
"It's all fun and games till one of you gets my foot up your ass." - FofR, TrivialBeing.net Webmaster

"I blame teenage girls for everything." - Dr. Dave

"God is in his Heaven, and free men walk upon the Earth" - Rev. Robert Sirico, President of the Acton Institute

Dream
Evangelion
Evangelion
User avatar
Posts: 3284
Joined: Dec 08, 2011

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Dream » Sat Feb 23, 2013 8:37 am

View Original PostA.T. Fish wrote:
SPOILER: Show
She was sociopathic too, she killed people just to meet Kira and was even less selective about it. She also did anything Light told her too, including killing a lot of people, and she did it without questioning the morality of what she was doing, playing the good old role of the stupidly submissive girl with a macabre twist that makes it even more despicable.


Ah yeah, somehow i forgot that she also used the Death Note more than a couple times. Just to add something, i don't think she did it just to meet Kira, but also because she wanted to do Kira-like justice (at least that's what i remember) And obeying Light in everything certainly is stupidly submissive, but to me it comes off as tragic rather than despicable, specially since in many Light was one of the worst things to come to her life.
"Every line is a joy" -Kaworu Nagisa.

"Nothing great was ever achieved without enthusiasm." - Ralph Waldo Emerson.

soul.assassin
Geezer of All Trades
Geezer of All Trades
User avatar
Age: 42
Posts: 4881
Joined: Feb 26, 2010
Location: Anywhere
Gender: Male

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby soul.assassin » Sat Feb 23, 2013 10:20 am

Man, if there's a character that's memorably annoying, I'd say about 95% of the character list of Another.

Mostly meat dummies.

Giji Shinka
Test Subject
Test Subject
User avatar
Age: 25
Posts: 2666
Joined: Jan 26, 2013
Location: Finland
Gender: Male

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Giji Shinka » Tue Feb 26, 2013 7:39 am

Orihime Inoue from Bleach.
I hate her when she spams: "Kurosaki-kun, Kurosaki-kun, Kurosaki-kun!"
:scanners_head: All in all: Almost useless character. (Unless she uses her healing, then she is somewhat useful.)

nervshatter
Banned
User avatar
Age: 30
Posts: 938
Joined: Jan 22, 2013
Location: South of Heaven.

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby nervshatter » Tue Feb 26, 2013 6:55 pm

Every character from gundam seed.

Zeldafan888
Adam
Age: 22
Posts: 51
Joined: Jul 18, 2012
Gender: Male

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Zeldafan888 » Fri Mar 01, 2013 3:19 am

Character I dispraise in order(Specifically from Revolutionary girl utena):
2. Shiori(Shoujo Kakumei Utena): Out of all of the show's character cast, she is the worst character in the show; her character is shallow and her development as a character was lackluster compared to the rest of the side cast too; the only episode that did develop her character was the Ruka episode but after that point, she stop appearing in episodes until 39 because the show's story progressively moved away from focusing on the student council and started focusing on Akio and Anthy characters.
1. Movie Akio(SKU: Adolescence apocalypse): This gif of him sums it up:
http://25.media.tumblr.com/a14b434f0a4da09ca78075eb44cea1dd/tumblr_mh29neaF9u1s47rdzo1_500.gif
Fuck Movie-Akio, fuck the cheesy violin composition they gave him, fuck Mitsuhiro Oikawa, fuck that Absurd car flip and The new character design suck too; in show, he was a great villain to watch onscreen but in the movie, he was reduce to a walking plot point that only appeared 3 times in the movie on screen; every time he does that absurd jump and shouts "Tou!" I cringe at how depressingly charmless his character was in the movie was compared to his TV self because they attempted way too hard to make him enjoyable because hes not enjoyable, he is just a example of hack writing in movie.

Bagheera
Banned
User avatar
Posts: 18626
Joined: Oct 15, 2010

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Bagheera » Fri Mar 01, 2013 8:57 am

View Original PostZeldafan888 wrote:2. Shiori(Shoujo Kakumei Utena): Out of all of the show's character cast, she is the worst character in the show; her character is shallow and her development as a character was lackluster compared to the rest of the side cast too; the only episode that did develop her character was the Ruka episode but after that point, she stop appearing in episodes until 39 because the show's story progressively moved away from focusing on the student council and started focusing on Akio and Anthy characters.


Can't agree with any of that at all. Shiori has three small but crucial bits of development after the Ruka arc:

-- The very last scene of said arc, where we see her chasing after Juri. This suggests that she took the message Ruka was trying to teach her to heart, i.e. "This is what if feels like to be hurt by someone you love. Maybe you should think about that."
-- The bit with Juri in the courtyard in one of the last episodes. Here Juri indicates she's moved on and is no longer fixated on Shiori, which Shiori overhears.
-- The post-Revolution bit in the final episode. Here Juri and Shiori are at fencing practice, and Shiori looks quite content with the state of affairs between them.

Taken together these three scenes tell us that Juri's no longer pining for Shiori, that Shiori has learned to appreciate Juri as a person and no longer feels threatened by her, and that they've chosen to start over as friends for real. It's a pretty impressive feat development-wise given the brevity of those scenes.

Doesn't mean Shiori isn't a rotten human being, of course, because she certainly is. But as a character she's fascinating.

Fuck Movie-Akio, fuck the cheesy violin composition they gave him, fuck Mitsuhiro Oikawa, fuck that Absurd car flip and The new character design suck too; in show, he was a great villain to watch onscreen but in the movie, he was reduce to a walking plot point that only appeared 3 times in the movie on screen; every time he does that absurd jump and shouts "Tou!" I cringe at how depressingly charmless his character was in the movie was compared to his TV self because they attempted way too hard to make him enjoyable because hes not enjoyable, he is just a example of hack writing in movie.


Meh. Not like the rest of the movie was any better; I mean, hell, Shiori's a butterfly and Utena turns into a car! Character-rich story with great plot coherence this flick ain't. :lol:
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

Defectron
Tentacle Girl
Tentacle Girl
User avatar
Posts: 5843
Joined: Apr 09, 2005
Location: 5th dimension

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Defectron » Fri Mar 01, 2013 2:38 pm

Meh. Not like the rest of the movie was any better; I mean, hell, Shiori's a butterfly and Utena turns into a car!


I disagree, the car chase was some of the most awesome anime moments ever for me,and the buttefly scene was beautifully done, that's why the utena movie ties as my second fovorite anime film with urusei yatsura movie 4 and spirited away. EOE is my first favorite anime film.

Though it is true they could have done more with Akio in that movie. I actually liked the movie character designs better then those in the tv series though, for some reason utenas design reminds me of clockwork orange.
Parasite Galaxy: An experimental webcomic

http://www.parasitegalaxy.com/ Updates Monday and Thursday. Vote for me on top webcomics

If you want to support this comic buy something from me on amazon

Bagheera
Banned
User avatar
Posts: 18626
Joined: Oct 15, 2010

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Bagheera » Fri Mar 01, 2013 2:48 pm

View Original PostDefectron wrote:I disagree, the car chase was some of the most awesome anime moments ever for me,and the buttefly scene was beautifully done, that's why the utena movie ties as my second fovorite anime film with urusei yatsura movie 4 and spirited away. EOE is my first favorite anime film.


I'm not saying it's not pretty and all, just that it's shit at plot and character development.
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

Defectron
Tentacle Girl
Tentacle Girl
User avatar
Posts: 5843
Joined: Apr 09, 2005
Location: 5th dimension

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Defectron » Fri Mar 01, 2013 3:06 pm

Some of the characters could have been developed better like Akio, but I will disagree with you about the plot. I thought the plot in the movie was pretty well done. Sure it's hard to understand out an the first view or so, but once its figured out I think it's pretty well done.

Like flcl, it tells the story of the transition from childhood to adulthood in a really interesting and complicated way which I though was pretty cool. It seemed to tell the story more through symbolism rather then traditional storytelling, the only other anime I can think of that did that to the same degree was melody of oblivion which is another one of my favorites. Maybe thats not for everyone, but I can't help but admire the way it was executed.
Parasite Galaxy: An experimental webcomic

http://www.parasitegalaxy.com/ Updates Monday and Thursday. Vote for me on top webcomics

If you want to support this comic buy something from me on amazon

Zeldafan888
Adam
Age: 22
Posts: 51
Joined: Jul 18, 2012
Gender: Male

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Zeldafan888 » Sat Mar 02, 2013 1:31 am

View Original PostDefectron wrote:Some of the characters could have been developed better like Akio, but I will disagree with you about the plot. I thought the plot in the movie was pretty well done. Sure it's hard to understand out an the first view or so, but once its figured out I think it's pretty well done.

Like flcl, it tells the story of the transition from childhood to adulthood in a really interesting and complicated way which I though was pretty cool. It seemed to tell the story more through symbolism rather then traditional storytelling, the only other anime I can think of that did that to the same degree was melody of oblivion which is another one of my favorites. Maybe thats not for everyone, but I can't help but admire the way it was executed.


No the tv series does better job at the adolescence metaphor then the movie can, in fact I could review the thing the tv series has in comparison to the movie:
Tv series
+Well done plot
+Relate-able character
+Decent character development
+the soundtrack I've have heard in any anime
+The Symbolism and metaphors are interesting and can change how you interpreted the anime
+Decent animation
-Pacing issues during the Akio/Apocylype arc
-Can get repetitive at time due to stock footage and strict episode structure
Movie
+Improve presentation
+Does a much better job at surrealism then the Tv series
-The Duel themes in the movie are essentially remixes of Seazers composition from soundtrack 7
-The characters are 1 dimensional at best
-the plot is a mess with no proper sense of coherency compared to the Tv series
-Really silly at times
-The pacing is garbage, the plot goes to a complete halt after the first duel and no major plot point are revealed until after the 40 minute mark.
-The Symbolism was't as meaningful as it was in the tv
That enough said, go to a review I posted on Ohtori.nu:
http://forums.ohtori.nu/viewtopic.php?id=3306

Bagheera
Banned
User avatar
Posts: 18626
Joined: Oct 15, 2010

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Bagheera » Sat Mar 02, 2013 4:25 am

View Original PostZeldafan888 wrote:That enough said, go to a review I posted on Ohtori.nu:
http://forums.ohtori.nu/viewtopic.php?id=3306


Thanks for the link, but I found this response most interesting. It's got me re-evaluating pretty much everything in the movie.
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

Defectron
Tentacle Girl
Tentacle Girl
User avatar
Posts: 5843
Joined: Apr 09, 2005
Location: 5th dimension

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Defectron » Sun Mar 03, 2013 12:46 pm

View Original PostZeldafan888 wrote:No the tv series does better job at the adolescence metaphor then the movie can, in fact I could review the thing the tv series has in comparison to the movie:
Tv series
+Well done plot
+Relate-able character
+Decent character development
+the soundtrack I've have heard in any anime
+The Symbolism and metaphors are interesting and can change how you interpreted the anime
+Decent animation
-Pacing issues during the Akio/Apocylype arc
-Can get repetitive at time due to stock footage and strict episode structure
Movie
+Improve presentation
+Does a much better job at surrealism then the Tv series
-The Duel themes in the movie are essentially remixes of Seazers composition from soundtrack 7
-The characters are 1 dimensional at best
-the plot is a mess with no proper sense of coherency compared to the Tv series
-Really silly at times
-The pacing is garbage, the plot goes to a complete halt after the first duel and no major plot point are revealed until after the 40 minute mark.
-The Symbolism was't as meaningful as it was in the tv
That enough said, go to a review I posted on Ohtori.nu:
http://forums.ohtori.nu/viewtopic.php?id=3306



I can't say I agree with a lot of of that. Sure some of the characters in the movie could have been done a lot better, Akio being the best example, but I think calling any of them one dimensional is pretty harsh as even movie Akio does have a lot more going on then what you see on the surface, that link bagheera posted explaining it a little better then what I probably could.

As for which series does symbolism better, that's like comparing apples and oranges because symbolsim is used in two very different ways. In the series its used in a more conventional manor to what you normally see in storytelling, but the movie actually uses symbolism to tell the story. I'm not saying that's a better or worse way to make use of it. but to me that was kind of a refreshing approach as it isn't something that is seen very often. The only two examples I can think off off hand that do this on the same level in anime are melody of oblivion and angels egg, as not even flcl really went to doing this to the same degree utena the movie did.
Parasite Galaxy: An experimental webcomic

http://www.parasitegalaxy.com/ Updates Monday and Thursday. Vote for me on top webcomics

If you want to support this comic buy something from me on amazon

moonwolf2024
Armisael
Armisael
User avatar
Age: 34
Posts: 917
Joined: Dec 12, 2012
Location: Deep Space, FL
Gender: Female

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby moonwolf2024 » Sun Mar 03, 2013 8:27 pm

View Original PostZeldafan888 wrote:Fuck Movie-Akio, fuck the cheesy violin composition they gave him, fuck Mitsuhiro Oikawa, fuck that Absurd car flip and The new character design suck too; in show, he was a great villain to watch onscreen but in the movie, he was reduce to a walking plot point that only appeared 3 times in the movie on screen; every time he does that absurd jump and shouts "Tou!" I cringe at how depressingly charmless his character was in the movie was compared to his TV self because they attempted way too hard to make him enjoyable because hes not enjoyable, he is just a example of hack writing in movie.


Lol...you have no idea how many times I replayed the car flip. Hilarious :lol:
Maybe if you shut up and stop over analyzing everything you just might get it........

chee
EGF Hate Machine
EGF Hate Machine
User avatar
Age: 31
Posts: 3337
Joined: Jul 16, 2007

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby chee » Sun Mar 03, 2013 10:25 pm

Image


This motherfucker right here.

Defectron
Tentacle Girl
Tentacle Girl
User avatar
Posts: 5843
Joined: Apr 09, 2005
Location: 5th dimension

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Defectron » Sun Mar 03, 2013 11:39 pm

View Original Postchee wrote:Image


This motherfucker right here.


Ehh I like Haruhi, I think I would be kind of like her if I was more extroverted and didn't think things through as much.
Parasite Galaxy: An experimental webcomic

http://www.parasitegalaxy.com/ Updates Monday and Thursday. Vote for me on top webcomics

If you want to support this comic buy something from me on amazon

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope
User avatar
Posts: 15804
Joined: Jun 28, 2008
Location: St. Louis
Gender: Male

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby NemZ » Mon Mar 04, 2013 12:09 am

Indeed. Shoulda let Yuki keep her powers and ditched both er and that squinty motherfucker when you had the chance, Kyon.
Rest In Peace ~ 1978 - 2017
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf
"I think internet message boards and the like are dangerous." - Anno

The Killer of Heroes
Ireul
Ireul
User avatar
Age: 27
Posts: 690
Joined: Sep 29, 2012
Location: Hidden in the Trojan Horse
Gender: Male

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby The Killer of Heroes » Mon Mar 04, 2013 12:40 am

I was about to disagree, but then I remembered how I think she's probably the least interesting character in her own series.

Any time I watched MoHS (Other than Endless Eight where everybody was a dumbass and deserved to die) I always found myself thinking something like "Man what's with the future Mikuru comes from? Is her moeshit just an act for Kyon" or "Wtf is up with Itsuki in general? Dude is like Kaworu or something at times. And what's with this organization thing he works for?" or even "Is Kyon the slider?".

Haruhi is only interesting, to me, because this shit just happens to revolve around her. When that stuff isn't happening, I keep wondering when she'll shut her damn mouth.

Dream
Evangelion
Evangelion
User avatar
Posts: 3284
Joined: Dec 08, 2011

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Dream » Mon Mar 04, 2013 2:15 am

View Original Postchee wrote:
SPOILER: Show
Image



This motherfucker right here.


I have to admit that i agree to an extent. She did behave as kind of an asshole more often than not, and is incredibly self-absorbed to the point of not caring at all for the people around her (or at least not seeming to), without mentioning her rather abusive tendencies towards some members of the S.O.S. brigade.

But then again, i can't really hate her, since she seems to be ultimately just an upset/troubled teenager.
"Every line is a joy" -Kaworu Nagisa.

"Nothing great was ever achieved without enthusiasm." - Ralph Waldo Emerson.

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland
User avatar
Age: 73
Posts: 10252
Joined: Nov 18, 2012
Location: Oxford, UK
Contact:

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby pwhodges » Mon Mar 04, 2013 3:43 am

I can put up with any amount of Haruhi's nonsense for the pleasure of Kyon's responses, though.

However, Light Yagami (Death Note) is just a step too far for me, and is my nomination for the character I most can't stand. The whole premise of the series is just too warped, and Light represents the worst of it with no redeeming features.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: Celebrating Radio Eva at 10 (details); Past avatars.
Can't wait for 3.0+1.0? - try Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)


Return to “Anime and Manga”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 14 guests