[Film] Prometheus + Sequels

A subforum for discussions about Film, TV, and Videos.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

xtr00kvltcorex
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby xtr00kvltcorex » Thu Jun 11, 2009 4:42 pm

Captain_Morgan wrote:Apparently Fox doesn't want to move forward with the project unless Ridley is attached to direct.

good, its about time a studio had some sense. hopefully they do the same with the Hellboy seres, seeing as they are Del Toro's baby, it would be blasphemy to see them do otherwise.
I’m spinning
Faster than the earth
I’m shining
Brighter than the stars

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Thu Jun 11, 2009 5:02 pm

I would just like to say nothing in storytelling is as lame as retcons.

What? You didn't like the last story? Ok. Then....it was an elaborate dream!

Fazmotron
Admin Emeritus :-{|

•      
  •      

Postby Fazmotron » Fri Jul 31, 2009 1:17 am

New info courtesy of NAW, which he would post himself but:
NAW wrote:Bawww, Temp-Ban, BAAAAWWWWWWWW

[url]http://www.variety.com/article/VR1118006722.html?categoryid=13&cs=1[/url]
Ridley Scott confirmed to direct, with Jon Spaihts writing the script.

It seems that there is now something to look forward to.
[Became a moderator on August 14th, 2011. Became an administrator on September 7th, 2013.]
--Fazmotron--
A.K.A. - Ryan Farrell
How Chaz sees me.
BobBQ - I find your lack of :-{| disturbing.

FAZMOTRON.com

Captain_Morgan
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby Captain_Morgan » Fri Jul 31, 2009 3:15 am

Just saw this as well.

With Ridley attached, this could be a decent movie...so long as Fox doesn't manage to fuck it up.

Guyver Spawn
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby Guyver Spawn » Fri Jul 31, 2009 11:40 am

With R scott as the director, nothing should go wrong.
Xbox live gamertag: Guyver Spawn 27
PSN: Hellspawn28

Captain_Morgan
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby Captain_Morgan » Fri Jul 31, 2009 12:06 pm

Nothing will likely go wrong with his cut of the film, but Fox has a tendency to fuck things up post-production.

Orphan Of Darkness
Israfel
Israfel

•      
  •      

Postby Orphan Of Darkness » Fri Jul 31, 2009 3:01 pm

Just like everything else from Fox over the last decade or so, this is a terrible idea. No one wants to see our beloved xenomorph's sullied any further by terrible assclowns claiming to be directors and talentless mockeries of 'writers'. I will be vigilant in my hopes this project is never fully realized. I hate Fox so much. They are dead set on ruining everything they possibly can.
EvanGelion:GLIA @A fanfiction project in progress. ~Updated-Mar 15th/2011~ |DeviantArt

-
"Make good use of this money, Rei. I

Captain_Morgan
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby Captain_Morgan » Fri Jul 31, 2009 3:29 pm

Uh...Ridley Scott is the guy who directed the first one.

And he's a pretty damn good director, having made Blade Runner (another film fucked over by the studio is post-production...thank God for the final cut), Black Hawk Down, Gladiator, etc.

Defectron
Tentacle Girl
Tentacle Girl

•      
  •      

Postby Defectron » Fri Jul 31, 2009 4:21 pm

With R scott as the director, nothing should go wrong.

I'm inclined to agree, but then again every time I've said "nothign could possibly go wrong with this idea" somehow its found a way, here are a number of examples

Big budget american godzilla (A big monster comes and smashes up the city, what could go wrong?)

Spiderman 3 (Sam Raimi directing a spiderman movie with Venom! What could go wrong?)

Alien vs Predator (two alien races duke out an epic battle, how could this possibly get screwed up once much less twice?)

A Star Wars prequal series directed by George Lucas (Hey, he did a good job with the first series, what could go wrong?)
Parasite Galaxy: An experimental webcomic

http://www.parasitegalaxy.com/ Updates Monday and Thursday. Vote for me on top webcomics

If you want to support this comic buy something from me on amazon

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey » Fri Jul 31, 2009 4:27 pm

BobBQ wrote:I say we take off, nuke the site from orbit.

It's the only way to be sure.

Rommel wrote:Yet even when they have good source material to build on, Hollywood somehow manages to screw it up. I mean, look at AvP. The books are pretty good, especially the first one. Machiko Nogushi was kinda cute too. Her story of befriending a Predator then going on their hunts and stuff would have an awesome couple of movies. Instead we got "RAWWWL, antarctica!"

THIS.

And even when they took a break from Machiko, we got the excellent two-parter Duel, which is to this day my favorite installment.

Axell wrote:I bet they'll remake the original star wars eventually

If memory serves, Lucas, the infinite tool that he is, has already stated that he would like to do that.

Guyver Spawn wrote:Why would anyone want another Alien sequel seeing how awful the 4th movie was.

If only they did justice to Joss Whedon's script. I would love to see how it would have turned out if he had directed it.

Gendo'sPapa wrote:What we have today is just a serious case of the "Let's pull a Batman" where the need for a remake isn't at all necessary.

While I don't think Alien itself needs to be remade, I think you're wrong here. Both Batman and Alien franchises went horribly sour midstream, to the point where rebooting the franchise was the only way of producing new installments. If we're lucky, we'll get a success like Batman Begins. Personally, I would like to see a standalone installment based upon one of the comics, say Aliens: Stronghold for example.

NAveryW wrote:He's supposedly just attached as a producer. Producers rarely have any significant creative input.

Too often, producers have too much creative input. Look at Wild Wild West for example.

Timstuff wrote:Alien: starring Keanu Reeves as Alan Ripley

Wasn't the main character in Alien: Earth Angel named Alan Ripley?

Gendo'sPapa wrote:As a sidenote- ALIEN 3 and ALIEN RESURRECTION actually did gangbusters in the international market. If you were to do the whole worldwide gross the films made a ton of bank.
Sadly just not so much so domestically.

True enough. But if they continued, they probably would have produced a complete flop. I think the franchise had burned itself out at Resurrection.

Gendo'sPapa wrote:One last note, finding out Carl Rinsch is romantically involved with Ridley Scott's daughter is such juicy info it makes for a far more interesting narrative than anything an Alien Prequel could do.

I can't wait for the documentary.

Fazmotron wrote:Ridley Scott confirmed to direct

Now all they have to do is get Giger on board and I'll be pumped.

Also:

I just ordered the Alien Quadrilogy, the Alien - Predator Total Destruction Collection, and The Alien Saga from Amazon. I'm going to totally dork out next week.

Guyver Spawn
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby Guyver Spawn » Fri Jul 31, 2009 5:44 pm

Big budget american godzilla (A big monster comes and smashes up the city, what could go wrong?)

Alien vs Predator (two alien races duke out an epic battle, how could this possibly get screwed up once much less twice?)

Those projects where doom once they got a new director for the movie (Anderson for AVP and Roland for GINO). I see what you mean but I hope he does not drop out of the project.
Xbox live gamertag: Guyver Spawn 27
PSN: Hellspawn28

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Fri Jul 31, 2009 5:49 pm

I love the original four Alien films (yes, even Resurrection) and maybe I'm just so bitter after being fucked over by Fox these past 12 years but this news does not excite me.

I should be jumping for joy, Ridley Scott, the master who created the original classic is back with the world he helped create. But for some reason a prequel is just....i can't get into it. Maybe it's because I really was holding out hope they'd finally put a proper closure to Ellen Ripley's story. Sure, Sigourney Weaver is old enough to be a grandmother but she's still a phenomenal actress. Maybe it's because this isn't the Ridley Scott of old. The guy who put visuals first and would spend months shooting films being an absolute perfectionist. Now the guy just churns out well lit mediocre movies. Maybe I was holding out hope he'd do that incredible sounding adaptation of Joe Halderman's "The Forever War", you know, a NEW Science Fiction film instead of revisiting someone old.

It's better than an AVP3 but a prequel seems pretty redundant. I just hope we don't get Russell Crowe taking down Aliens left and right with a buzz cut and sword, completely disregarding the Acid for blood issue.

Without Ripley I think the best move Ridley could do is pull some strings and turn this film into a human-less almost National Geographic like documentary on the Aliens themselves. Just make a film about them in their habitat. "March of the Penguins" without a lame Morgan Freeman voiceover and creatures being ripped to shreds by those overused loveable Xenomorphs.

Fazmotron

•      
  •      

Postby Fazmotron » Sat Aug 01, 2009 1:11 am

The Eva Monkey wrote:I just ordered the Alien Quadrilogy, the Alien - Predator Total Destruction Collection, and The Alien Saga from Amazon. I'm going to totally dork out next week.

Doesn't the Alien - Predator Total Destruction Collection include all the stuff from the Alien Quadrilogy set?

I have the Total Destruction set, and its pretty packed full of stuff.
(Australian though, so it might be different.)
[Became a moderator on August 14th, 2011. Became an administrator on September 7th, 2013.]
--Fazmotron--
A.K.A. - Ryan Farrell
How Chaz sees me.
BobBQ - I find your lack of :-{| disturbing.

FAZMOTRON.com

Orphan Of Darkness
Israfel
Israfel

•      
  •      

Postby Orphan Of Darkness » Sat Aug 01, 2009 3:13 am

Alien: Rebuild - In space, (no) one can hear you scream.

Starring Russel Crowe.
EvanGelion:GLIA @A fanfiction project in progress. ~Updated-Mar 15th/2011~ |DeviantArt

-
"Make good use of this money, Rei. I

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey » Sat Aug 01, 2009 9:14 am

Fazmotron wrote:Doesn't the Alien - Predator Total Destruction Collection include all the stuff from the Alien Quadrilogy set?

Negatory. The Total Destruction Collection features all the films in the combined franchise, with sparse extras, while the Quadrilogy is specific to the Alien franchise, with two versions of the four films, and a smattering of extra bonus features. There is some considerable overlap in the four Alien films, but hey, I got the two together for under $80. Not a bad deal in my opinion.

I'm totally going to dork out.

Defectron
Tentacle Girl
Tentacle Girl

•      
  •      

Postby Defectron » Sat Aug 01, 2009 11:25 am

Those projects where doom once they got a new director for the movie (Anderson for AVP and Roland for GINO). I see what you mean but I hope he does not drop out of the project.

What I'm trying to say is that those ideas would be hard to botch up even with hack directors, they arent difficult things to pull off. Especially the american godzilla. All they needed to do was have a big monster smash up the city, but somehow they managed to make a movie where the giant monster barely smashes up anything. Zilla is the kindest gentelest giant lizard ever to go on a rampage.
Parasite Galaxy: An experimental webcomic

http://www.parasitegalaxy.com/ Updates Monday and Thursday. Vote for me on top webcomics

If you want to support this comic buy something from me on amazon

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey » Sat Aug 01, 2009 12:34 pm

Defectron wrote:the american godzilla

I'm convinced the only good thing to come out of that movie was either Godzilla: The Series or the Godzilla Remix of Green Day's Brain Stew.

NAveryW
Insect Politician
Insect Politician

•      
  •      

Postby NAveryW » Sat Aug 01, 2009 4:44 pm

The Eva Monkey wrote:I just ordered the Alien Quadrilogy, the Alien - Predator Total Destruction Collection, and The Alien Saga from Amazon.
Why is it necessary to get both the Quadrilogy and the Total Destruction Collection?
"Today?... hmm... today... right... Um... I'm just gonna wing it." -Guess who

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey » Sat Aug 01, 2009 11:29 pm

NAveryW wrote:
The Eva Monkey wrote:I just ordered the Alien Quadrilogy, the Alien - Predator Total Destruction Collection, and The Alien Saga from Amazon.

Why is it necessary to get both the Quadrilogy and the Total Destruction Collection?

The Eva Monkey wrote:
Fazmotron wrote:Doesn't the Alien - Predator Total Destruction Collection include all the stuff from the Alien Quadrilogy set?

Negatory. The Total Destruction Collection features all the films in the combined franchise, with sparse extras, while the Quadrilogy is specific to the Alien franchise, with two versions of the four films, and a smattering of extra bonus features. There is some considerable overlap in the four Alien films, but hey, I got the two together for under $80. Not a bad deal in my opinion.

Themaninblack
Potential Pilot
Potential Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Themaninblack » Sat Aug 01, 2009 11:33 pm

The Eva Monkey wrote:
NAveryW wrote:

The Eva Monkey wrote:

Those better be some flippin' extras there dude
I won.

Return to “Film and Video”