[Film] Prometheus + Sequels

A subforum for discussions about Film, TV, and Videos.

Moderators: New Moderators, Board Staff

Bagheera
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Fri Oct 26, 2012 7:38 pm

View Original PostDefectron wrote:Well even in the case of a "space trucker" if you make a living doing something in unfamiliar environments, its common sense to familiarize yourself with basic safety procedeurs so that you don't get killed.

True dat.
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

Reichu
Space-Time Teratoma
Space-Time Teratoma

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Fri Oct 26, 2012 8:16 pm

View Original PostBagheera wrote:Lowest common denominator, m'dear. If they don't have to bother with a decent script to see success, why would they?

If "success" = "$$$", then I should note the way they approached production treated money like an afterthought. Because they went into the filming without a polished script, scenes were being shot without a clear sense of how they'd be ordered (the "it can all be fixed in editing!" mentality), which seems rather financially wasteful. The wastefulness is even more clear when viewing the deleted scenes, and seeing how much they polished some of this material up before they decided to chop it. There's even an alternate version of the Berserk Geologist scene (itself a wholly disposable scene) where he's rendered as a CG monstrosity that was completely discarded.

"Lowest common denominator" does work as a partial explanation. It's clearly invoked for the just-mentioned Berserk Geologist scene, which is only present (AFAIK) because Scott wanted an exciting action piece for that spot in the film. However, LCD doesn't take us all the way. Prometheus was making at least a token effort to seize its potential. That's why it's such a disappointment.
Crying Man
(Or, How Dr. Katsuragi Found God): Read at AO3 & Discuss Here.
Status: First Draft. Chapter 10: Idle Hands released 5/24/2017.

"Fighting idiocy is like fighting a hydra. Cut off one head, two more grow back and need to tell you their uninformed opinion." - PeeJee, Something*Positive

Gus Hanson
Leliel
Leliel

•      
  •      

Postby Gus Hanson » Mon Oct 29, 2012 9:26 am

I still don't get why David tampered with Holloway's drink. Was it to test what the alien was capable of combined with human DNA? Did David do it under orders or by his own volition?

Reichu
Space-Time Teratoma
Space-Time Teratoma

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Mon Oct 29, 2012 12:07 pm

David was working for Daddy Weyland to find a key to eternal life, if such a thing existed; this is what he was eventually ordered to ask the Last Engineer. However, before the Last Engineer was discovered, and their race was believed extinct (a lame deduction from such a small survey of the moon), David was quite willing to search for answers on his own terms. He probably had tacit approval from Daddy to run human experiments -- Weyland only cared about himself, after all. So, after getting "permission" from Holloway -- "SURE I'D DO ANYTHING TO LEARN THE TRUTH" -- , David tested out the goo. Also, he did it because he could... am I right?

If the script were a bit tighter, this explanation would be much less wordy, but there you go.
Crying Man

"Fighting idiocy is like fighting a hydra. Cut off one head, two more grow back and need to tell you their uninformed opinion." - PeeJee, Something*Positive

Fireball
First Ancestor
First Ancestor

•      
  •      

Postby Fireball » Mon Dec 10, 2012 10:24 am

Haha, man had this movie stupid characters.

Beginning was mildly entertaining because of the stunning visuals but that's pretty much about it. Everything else was so meh and predictable. The movie failed to be suspenful and engaging thanks to horror clichés and being riddled by MYSTERIES. I'm not too big into the Alien mythology and I think I could have lived without knowing we have the same DNA as angry looking Dr. Manhattans. That was also my biggest problem. Half the time it tries to be this original story about where we came from, who created us, and other philosophical questions and the other half is an Alien prequel. Would have done better if it hadn't tried to be two things at once, me thinks. Really disappointing that there hasn't been anything good since Aliens. This franchise is Star Wars territory bad.

"I was born into the wrong time" - laughed the girl

「<ゝω・)\綺羅星☆!!/
[/size]

BrikHaus
Dokutah Tenma
Dokutah Tenma

•      
  •      

Postby BrikHaus » Wed Dec 12, 2012 3:38 pm

View Original PostFireball wrote:This franchise is Star Wars territory bad.

I've never seen the Alien franchise summed up so succinctly and accurately until now.
Awesomely Shitty
-"That purace has more badassu maddafaakas zan supermax spaceland."
-On EMF, as a thread becomes longer, the likelihood that fem-Kaworu will be mentioned increases exponentially.
-the only English language novel actually being developed in parallel to its Japanese version involving a pan-human Soviet in a galactic struggle to survive and to export the communist utopia/revolution to all the down trodden alien class and race- one of the premise being that Khrushchev remains and has abandoned Lysenko stupidity

Reichu
Space-Time Teratoma
Space-Time Teratoma

Re: [Film] Prometheus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Sat Mar 12, 2016 6:04 pm

Everyone who cares probably already knows, but since I just found out... The next installment in Mr. Scott's prequel trilogy is currently called Alien: Covenant and is scheduled for release sometime next year. Plot synopsis:

Bound for a remote planet on the far side of the galaxy, the crew of the colony ship Covenant discovers what they think is an uncharted paradise, but is actually a dark, dangerous world -- whose sole inhabitant is the "synthetic" David (Michael Fassbender), survivor of the doomed Prometheus expedition.

Ms. Rapace isn't returning, as her and David's adventures on the Engineers' homeworld have apparently been relegated to this film's backstory, and we're getting a new heroine played by Katherine Waterston. I sure hope she's not a mouthpiece for a lazily integrated theology angle, too. Damien Lindeloff won't be working on the screenplay this time, but arguably it won't make any difference since we still have the same director...

I am sordidly curious to see how this trilogy will pan out. I don't expect it to be good, but watching a disaster unfold has its own dark appeal sometimes. :devil: And of course, Mr. Fassbender will hit it out of the park no matter what manner of crap he's handed, so it'll be worth watching Covenant for him alone.
Crying Man

Blue Monday
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Blue Monday » Sat Mar 12, 2016 7:50 pm

Really looking forward to Covenant, considering the working title beforehand was Paradise Lost (with all the themes, motifs and baggage that name would carry/suggest); the idea of some tranquil, dark utopian planet inhabited by David and the Xenos is pretty intriguing.
"Eva(Geeks) is a story that repeats."
Warren Peace, #643919

Gendo'sPapa
First Ancestor
First Ancestor

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Sat Mar 12, 2016 10:45 pm

Release date is August 4, 2017. It will be hard R. It will feature actual Xenomorphs. It will also be AMAZING! And narratively messy.

Like Prometheus.

(I whole heartedly love Prometheus as the messy film it is)

Reichu
Space-Time Teratoma
Space-Time Teratoma

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Sun Mar 13, 2016 5:38 am

View Original PostGendo'sPapa wrote:(I whole heartedly love Prometheus as the messy film it is)

B-b-but so much completely unironic stupidity! I want to like the movie, I really do, but every time either (A) the characters are complete idiots, or (B) the characters assume the audience are complete idiots, it just erodes away at my willpower. There's no escaping Prometheus' fate of being one of those things I watch when I'm drooling from the sides of my mouth and just don't give a shit. ("Yes, dear, I know it's terrible. Let me enjoy my trash in peace.")

Also, apologies if I've already done this rant, but since it's fresh on my mind: I'm not sure I will ever forgive this movie for going into the same trashy territory as the abominable AVP:R -- that is, deciding that the uterus is the aliens' inevitable final destination (metafictionally speaking). Never mind that these critters were specifically envisioned by Dan O'Bannon as being equal opportunity rapists, and their life cycle designed to utilize unisex parts of their hosts' anatomy accordingly.* Listening to the Alien special features, it's obvious that Scott wasn't totally on the same page as O'Bannon, but at least all of Scott's masturbatory whimsies (Alien raping Lambert; Alien lusting after Ripley in the shuttle) were left ambiguous rather than acid-etched into the film. Prometheus, though? We've gone into full jerk-off mode. Can't wait for the central xenomorphic baddie in Covenant to show up with a 6-foot-long ribbed dick and rape the next stage of alien evolution into our Shaw substitute. :fap:

* Okay, yeah, I'm probably being too charitably egalitarian here. O'Bannon definitely had a stiffy for turning the tables on cinema's traditional female exploitation and giving men their turn at being violated and experiencing fecund horror. Gods, do I love him and his silly bowtie for it...
Crying Man

movieartman
Lilin
Lilin

Re:

•      
  •      

Postby movieartman » Thu May 26, 2016 8:22 pm

First image from Covenant...
http://www.comicbookmovie.com/sci-fi/ne ... al-a142047

I'm sadly getting the vibe that the producers assumed the failure of Prometheus was the result of it being too different from what came before. (Same thing with Terminator Salvation)
As they are clearly making Waterston look hyper Ripley-ish.
Naomi was praised for NOT being a Ripley type character.
This is not a good path to go IMO.

View Original PostFireball wrote:This franchise is Star Wars territory bad.

Honestly I would take AVP, AVPR & Resurrection over any of the prequels. And I used to like the prequels so that is saying something.

Defectron
Tentacle Girl
Tentacle Girl

Re: Re:

•      
  •      

Postby Defectron » Thu May 26, 2016 9:44 pm

View Original Postmovieartman wrote:

Honestly I would take AVP, AVPR & Resurrection over any of the prequels. And I used to like the prequels so that is saying something.

Well, I would take AVP and Ressurection over the prequals.

Anyway there was a new photo from the set of a bunch of dead bodies on some stone steps, wonder whats going on there?
Parasite Galaxy: An experimental webcomic

http://www.parasitegalaxy.com/ Updates Monday and Thursday. Vote for me on top webcomics

If you want to support this comic buy something from me on amazon

Reichu
Space-Time Teratoma
Space-Time Teratoma

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Thu May 26, 2016 10:01 pm

View Original Postmovieartman wrote:Honestly I would take AVP, AVPR & Resurrection over any of the prequels. And I used to like the prequels so that is saying something.

...prequels? All one of them? (Second isn't out yet, so...)

AVPR ranks as one of the top 5 worst movies I've ever seen. It's so bad I can't actually think of anything offhand that is worse.
Crying Man

movieartman
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby movieartman » Thu May 26, 2016 10:19 pm

View Original PostReichu wrote:AVPR ranks as one of the top 5 worst movies I've ever seen. It's so bad I can't actually think of anything offhand that is worse.

Yeah I've seen worse.
SPOILER: Show
Halloween Resurrection
F13 part 8 Jason takes Manhattan
Elm Street 5 Dream Child
Batman & Robin
Wolverine Origins
Jaws 3d
Jaws the Revenge
and most syfy channel movies as AVPR is at least taking it seriously and has practical effects and not god awful cgi.

My problems with AVPR are just the following...
-- WAY too darkly lit.
-- Pred-Alien impregnating already naturally pregnant women was a bit too mean spirited.
-- Blow up the town ending was blah and too similar to Return of the Evil Dead.
-- It's basically just a slasher movie with the Predator & Aliens, which isn't a problem for me as I am a slasher fan but I won't argue that it's not a dumbing down of the franchises.

I see it as slightly better then the first AVP as it at least treats the Predator more traditionally and badassly.

Gendo'sPapa
First Ancestor
First Ancestor

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Fri May 27, 2016 1:21 am

Harvard & Columbia got together & did a scientific study. Their results conclusively proved that AVPR is THE WORST.

Seriously. It's the ugliest garbage piece of shit ever shot. This has been proven by science.

movieartman
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby movieartman » Fri May 27, 2016 1:39 am

View Original PostGendo'sPapa wrote:Harvard & Columbia got together & did a scientific study. Their results conclusively proved that AVPR is THE WORST.

Seriously. It's the ugliest garbage piece of shit ever shot. This has been proven by science.

Human Centipede 2 & A Serbian Film (Nether of which I have seen or will ever fucking see) are immeasurably worse in the ugly garbage department dude.
AVPR has just the 2 moments with the Pregnant women being violated and killed, those 2 films have much worse and all throughout their run time.
And Movie 43 & InAPPropriate Comedy I'm pretty sure are far worse also.

Gendo'sPapa
First Ancestor
First Ancestor

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Fri May 27, 2016 3:57 am

Nope. Science has spoken.

And we're not talking violence or pushing boundaries here. We're talking content.

The Human Centipedes & Serbian Films of the world may be grotesque & might even lack in value but they were original visions from filmmakers & have content. And films like Movie 43 & InAPPropriate Comedy are trash but they're not part of the conversation here since those are stand alone films with no connection to two series that contain legitimately great films.

AVPR meanwhile commits three impressive acts of failure. It is the worst movie to feature an Alien by a large margin. It is the worst movie to feature a Predator by a large margin. And it's a film so terrible it actually makes the awful Paul W.S. Anderson original look good by comparison.

AVP: Requiem is an amazing failure of filmmaking on every level. Aside from it showing exactly how not to make a movie it contains no redeemable qualities. It contains no original ideas. It contains nothing. And by lacking anything of value Aliens Vs. Predator: Requiem is by definition THE WORST.

movieartman
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby movieartman » Fri May 27, 2016 5:10 am

Agree to disagree, again I don't think it's particularly good but...
View Original PostGendo'sPapa wrote:it contains no redeemable qualities.

- Great traditional gritty Predator design Improving on the silly ass oversized Preds in the first AVP.
- Good Pred-Alien design and suit.
- Ok Alien suits.
- Awesome shot of the Pred choking out 2 Aliens at once in the sewer.
- I've heard people call all the characters unlikable, but I thought the Sheriff was cool & the ex marine mother (while certainly a Ripley rip off) was sympathetic.
- Battles & Action are mostly all solid, hampered only by the lighting.

Batman & Robin to me is much closer to having no redeeming value as I am someone who remembers the small good things in films even ones I dislike and I can't think of a single positive thing big or small to say about it besides the Mr. Freeze outfit used to be awesome but is dated now, Clooney was a tolerable Bruce Wayne... possibly.

Just my opinion.

Let's all hope Covenant doesn't have glaring dumb moments like Prometheus & doesn't re-tread the franchise like the Ripley look alike above implies.

Sachi
Oh Daddy!
Oh Daddy!

•      
  •      

Postby Sachi » Fri May 27, 2016 2:27 pm

View Original Postmovieartman wrote:Batman & Robin to me is much closer to having no redeeming value as I am someone who remembers the small good things in films even ones I dislike and I can't think of a single positive thing big or small to say about it besides the Mr. Freeze outfit used to be awesome but is dated now, Clooney was a tolerable Bruce Wayne... possibly.

Batman & Robin is at least campy and light-hearted enough to still be enjoyable, if only on a so-bad-its-good level ("what killed the dinosaurs?"). AVPR is just painful, and in the exact opposite of a so-bad-its-good way.
"Chaos is merely a human construct. The world only knows its own natural law of harmony and order."
"So you are saying it's the human heart that throws the world into confusion."

Bagheera
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Fri May 27, 2016 3:02 pm

The movies in this mess that are actually good are Alien, Aliens, and Predator. That's it. Alien 3 and Predator 2 are flawed works with noteworthy highlights and a "damn, this could have been great if only X . . . " running through them. The others -- Resurrection, Prometheus, and the crossovers -- are all bad, and arguing about which is worse is pointless. When you're swimming in dog crap there's no point in saying that some of it smells worse than the rest, since it's still crap.
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

Return to “Film and Video”