[Film] Prometheus + Sequels

A subforum for discussions about Film, TV, and Videos.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

[Film] Prometheus + Sequels

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Thu May 28, 2009 2:19 am

http://www.bloody-disgusting.com/news/16328

If there is one person on this site who thinks this is a good idea, I'm sorry but I will be responsible for murder....

It's a sad day for film if this goes through.

backseatjesus
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby backseatjesus » Thu May 28, 2009 2:27 am

Tsachoul
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Tsachoul » Thu May 28, 2009 2:34 am

I have never seen the original, and so have no attachment to the film.

However, I fail to see how a remake will have any effect on the original. If the film is worse than the original, then you can still watch the original and ignore the remake. If the film is actually good, then you now have TWO good movies to watch. You cannot lose.
"We rode on the winds of the rising storm,
We ran to the sounds of thunder.
We danced among the lightning bolts,
And tore the world assunder."

Timstuff
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Timstuff » Thu May 28, 2009 2:47 am

Fox can burn for all I care. They're already in hell, and attrocity will merely move them another circle towards the middle. Alien is a classic that has stood the test of time, so I don't see what the point of remaking it is. Adding bad CG maybe? Or will it star Keanu Reeves? I should expect no less from the studio that butchered The Day the Earth Stood Still.
DeviantArt profile being re-invented... Check back later.

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Thu May 28, 2009 3:12 am

Tsachoul-

That's the kind of logic that allows this crap to happen.

It's the principle of the matter. Here's a film that came out and changed the face of science fiction (you can't really look at any science fiction, Eva included, that hasn't been aesthetically inspired by Alien or Blade Runner), launched a massive franchise world that spans 3 sequels, a horrid spin off franchise, toys, magazines, books, and more. It's a world unto itself.
And now there's a remake.

It's a case of something that just isn't needed. The whole "You cannot lose" is a weak argument. It's disrespectful to the original and people's love for it. This is the film that made me want to be a filmmaker.

I hope this doesn't happen. But knowing Fox it will.

PS. Tsachoul, go out and watch the original. It's a film that deserves the moniker A CLASSIC.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Thu May 28, 2009 4:47 am

Just reading the topic title made the part of my psyche devoted to such things a little sad.

Remake everything. Leave no movie behind.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

Fazmotron
Admin Emeritus :-{|
Admin Emeritus :-{|

•      
  •      

Postby Fazmotron » Thu May 28, 2009 5:49 am

Oh.........no.

Originality? Never heard of it.
[Became a moderator on August 14th, 2011. Became an administrator on September 7th, 2013.]
--Fazmotron--
A.K.A. - Ryan Farrell
How Chaz sees me.
BobBQ - I find your lack of :-{| disturbing.

FAZMOTRON.com

chee
EGF Hate Machine
EGF Hate Machine

•      
  •      

Postby chee » Thu May 28, 2009 5:51 am

RRRRRRGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHH

UrsusArctos
The Beginning and The End
The Beginning and The End

•      
  •      

Postby UrsusArctos » Thu May 28, 2009 6:15 am

chee wrote:RRRRRRGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHH

Sigh...qft.
(Was Board Staff from Dec 31, 2007 - Oct 17, 2015 and Oct 20, 2020 - Aug 1, 2021)
Not knowing that Monk is bi is like not knowing the Pope is Catholic - ZapX
You're either really bad at interpreting jokes or really good at pretending you are and I have no idea which.-Monk Ed
WAAAAAAAAGH!!!!!(<-link to lunacy)...Taste me, if you can bear it. (Warning: Language NSFW)
The main point of idiocy is for the smart to have their lulz. Without human idiocy, trolling would not exist, and that's uncool, since a large part of my entertainment consists of mocking the absurdity and dumbassery of the world, especially the Internet.-MaggotMaster

Joseph the PRPD
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Joseph the PRPD » Thu May 28, 2009 6:19 am

:headdesk:
Cheese wheel in the U.S. Coast Guard.

oOoOoOo
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby oOoOoOo » Thu May 28, 2009 7:04 am

Reichu wrote:Remake everything.
Bono once sang: "Every artist is a cannibal, every poet is a thief" and them some other stuff that rhymed.

I thought it was really cool in art history when you could see how artists always dipped into what came before, that way you could watch the slow progression of art from one thing into another into another. @_@ Mmmmm~ Artgasm~

But this "remake" stuff seems too lazy. I'd hope for the same atmosphere and thematic content, but at least a different scenario or... something. I like reinterpretations, if possible. I think Evangelion's "rebuild" is fun because it is the same core characters and themes, but a different plot. That is the sort of treatment often given to really old stories or fairy tales, but not so much newer things, I find. Ah~ money. ;_;
~ O-chan is soooo 2D right now.

Tsachoul
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Tsachoul » Thu May 28, 2009 7:32 am

Gendo'sPapa wrote:It's a case of something that just isn't needed. The whole "You cannot lose" is a weak argument. It's disrespectful to the original and people's love for it. This is the film that made me want to be a filmmaker.

PS. Tsachoul, go out and watch the original. It's a film that deserves the moniker A CLASSIC.

I guess that provided it is a bad film, it will cause those who haven't seen the original to think less of it (the original that is).

But still, those who did see the original; sure, they may be upset, and yes, it can easily be argued as disrespectful, but it should not diminish people's love of the original, provided it was the actual film that they liked, rather than the franchise.

I often wonder whether or not the directors of such remakes genuinely belive their film to be good, or are just doing it for the money. It seems so clear to me where such films went wrong and what should be fixed. It sometimes seems that the producers or whoever deliberately conspire to make it a poor film. Do they not understand that a good film will sell better?

I'll get right on to watching that. I sometimes feel that there are too many "classic" films that I have not seen to really consider myself a film maker. :(
"We rode on the winds of the rising storm,
We ran to the sounds of thunder.
We danced among the lightning bolts,
And tore the world assunder."

Guyver Spawn
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby Guyver Spawn » Thu May 28, 2009 9:24 am

WTF? Why remake this?
Xbox live gamertag: Guyver Spawn 27
PSN: Hellspawn28

THE Hal E. Burton 9000
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby THE Hal E. Burton 9000 » Thu May 28, 2009 9:27 am

while I think the Cameron touch makes Aliens the best of the franchise IMO, this is not good, Ridley Scott and crew did a very good job with the first Alien film and this is just not right

I would be more open to this if some of the unused concept designs were put into place, but I think with technology today, this could be done without having to go back and remake the whole thing

I assume the only reason this is getting the green light is because the suits at Fox think Alien 5 has been in development hell for too long in their opinion

and booooooooo to them remaking Predator too

I've really started to have it with Hollywood :gunmouth:
- TEH Fabulous Hal E. Burton 9000

P.S. For those wanting to discuss a matter with yours truly not pertaining to the general topic at hand, PM me. Please and thank you.

Guyver Spawn
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby Guyver Spawn » Thu May 28, 2009 9:34 am

Their not remaking Predator, the new Pred movie is a reboot and it takes place after the first one.

the film is worse than the original, then you can still watch the original and ignore the remake.

I agree and it not like people will ignore the original or anything. People still watch the original Psycho and Dracula today while most people forgot about the 1998 remake of Psycho seeing that it bombed at the box office.
Xbox live gamertag: Guyver Spawn 27
PSN: Hellspawn28

THE Hal E. Burton 9000
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby THE Hal E. Burton 9000 » Thu May 28, 2009 9:37 am

^that was nothing but a shot-for-shot remake, totally pointless, maybe the most ridiculous remake ever
- TEH Fabulous Hal E. Burton 9000

P.S. For those wanting to discuss a matter with yours truly not pertaining to the general topic at hand, PM me. Please and thank you.

BrikHaus
Dokutah Tenma
Dokutah Tenma

•      
  •      

Postby BrikHaus » Thu May 28, 2009 10:16 am

Awesomely Shitty
-"That purace has more badassu maddafaakas zan supermax spaceland."
-On EMF, as a thread becomes longer, the likelihood that fem-Kaworu will be mentioned increases exponentially.
-the only English language novel actually being developed in parallel to its Japanese version involving a pan-human Soviet in a galactic struggle to survive and to export the communist utopia/revolution to all the down trodden alien class and race- one of the premise being that Khrushchev remains and has abandoned Lysenko stupidity

BattleMonkey
Leliel
Leliel

•      
  •      

Postby BattleMonkey » Thu May 28, 2009 10:59 am

Depends if it truly is a "remake". Lot of these so called remakes people like to complain about are really just reboots or very dissimilar to the originals.

I loved Batman (keaton, nicholson) and Batman Begins both, as they were so different but good on their own merits.

Now something like some of these horror film remakes which are almost shot for shot recreations of originals, ugh no.

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Thu May 28, 2009 11:13 am

With this the remake bug is unstoppable.

Hell, I'm not a fan but there's also a remake of Joss Whedon's Buffy the Vampire Slayer being made...without Joss Whedon's involvement. He has to "audition" like everyone else (a.k.a. work hard to be paid cheap)

http://www.chud.com/articles/articles/19587/1/BUFFY039S-LATEST-BIG-BAD-A-REMAKE/Page1.html

BobBQ
Dyskolos
Dyskolos

•      
  •      

Postby BobBQ » Thu May 28, 2009 11:33 am

I say we take off, nuke the site from orbit.

(Yes, wrong movie - but they'll remake that next if they can get away with it!)

Return to “Film and Video”