Foucault's Pendulum

A forum for discussing the filmmakers and artists associated with Khara, Trigger, or Gainax, but apart from their studio projects.

Moderator: Board Staff

Otaprince
Tunniel
Tunniel

Foucault's Pendulum

•      
  •      

Postby Otaprince » Tue May 17, 2005 3:35 pm

Foucault's Pendulum is a novel by the great Italian novelist, Umberto Eco. It may be of interest to Eva fans because it deals with Kabbalah and the Sephiroth, and also some similar themes: conspiracy, mainly.

It's a very intelligent book, and also very dense. You could call it complicated. If you are looking for something to tackle that would give you the same challenges and rewards as Eva, I suggest giving this book a try.

Eva Monkey and Reichu-- I mentioned this at some point over over Otaku no Roadtrip, i think.

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Foucault's Pendulum

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Tue May 17, 2005 4:36 pm

Otaprince wrote:Foucault's Pendulum is a novel by the great Italian novelist, Umberto Eco. It may be of interest to Eva fans because it deals with Kabbalah and the Sephiroth, and also some similar themes: conspiracy, mainly.

Not only conspiracy, but the bootstrapping nature of conspiracy theory - as well as containing a good run-down on the Usual Suspects, so you can speculate about SEELE's antecedents.

Very much the thinking man's rework of Shea and Wilson's Illuminatus!
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Tue May 17, 2005 6:38 pm

Mr. Tines wrote:Not only conspiracy, but the bootstrapping nature of conspiracy theory - as well as containing a good run-down on the Usual Suspects, so you can speculate about SEELE's antecedents.

I thought this was already as resolved as it was going to get? :cough:Essenes:cough:
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

AchtungAffen
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby AchtungAffen » Tue May 17, 2005 8:39 pm

I read until he hid. Couldn't bare it no longer. Guess I should give it another try.
"Oh, Constantine! To how many evils origin was given, not by your conversion to Christianity, but by the dowry which from you received the first Pope that was rich!" - Dante
How can you expect to live in a Republic when you don't care about the res-publica?
"The gun, in all its forms, was the epochal tool of white male supremacy, which is why it continues to have irrational appeal. As much as the jack-booted hate Jews and blacks, that much they love their guns." - James Carrol
My List @ AniDB

- Original activist against the lockers-that-be -

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Wed May 18, 2005 3:52 pm

Reichu wrote:I thought this was already as resolved as it was going to get? :cough:Essenes:cough:

But we can still speculate about what sorts of mischief they got up to in the intervening centuries...
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Carl Horn
Israfel
Israfel

•      
  •      

Postby Carl Horn » Wed Jun 01, 2005 6:28 pm

Reichu wrote:
Mr. Tines wrote:Not only conspiracy, but the bootstrapping nature of conspiracy theory - as well as containing a good run-down on the Usual Suspects, so you can speculate about SEELE's antecedents.

I thought this was already as resolved as it was going to get? :cough:Essenes:cough:

Does this source say that SEELE literally are (or are descended from) the Essenes, or does it say only that they called themselves Essenes? There appears to be some symbolic appropriation of religious terms in EVA; for example, the Magi and the Lance of Longinus, neither one of which would seem to match their Biblical description. ^_^
Last edited by Carl Horn on Wed Jun 01, 2005 6:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Carl Horn
Israfel
Israfel

•      
  •      

Postby Carl Horn » Wed Jun 01, 2005 6:31 pm

Oh, yeah. Just yesterday I left my copy of FOUCAULT'S PENDULUM on the plane and searched out another one at Powell's before nightfall. I felt very Yomiko.

Vulkurt
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby Vulkurt » Sun Jul 10, 2005 5:39 pm

Carl Horn is the reason why I bought this book in the first place (because of his EVA panel at Otakon 2003). I have been damaged ever since.
Done. Guarding.

bp32
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby bp32 » Sun Aug 21, 2005 3:14 pm

Reichu wrote:

Link to where this alleged resolution took place, please?? :)
"Men judge generally more by the eye than by the hand, for everyone can see and few can feel. Every one sees what you appear to be, few really know what you are."-Niccolo Machiavelli

"In religion and politics, people's beliefs and convictions are in almost every case gotten at second hand, and without examination."-Mark Twain

Return to “Related to the Filmmakers and Artists”