Eva DVD image cropping

This is the place to start: Feel free to introduce yourself, have general conversations and casual discussions about all things Evangelion, including chit-chatty topics like "Sachiel is adorable" or "Which Eva kicks the most ass?"

Moderator: Board Staff

Toilet Duck
Lilith

Eva DVD image cropping

•      
  •      

Postby Toilet Duck » Sun May 15, 2005 9:09 pm

Hi. I'm really sorry if this has been discussed before, but has anyone noticed that the picture on the Evangelion DVDs looks cropped out on a 4:3 television but is fully displayed when played on a computer DVD player? (It's most apparent during some of the English episode title cards in the middle of the episodes - for example, the exclamation point in "Asuka STRIKES!" is not showing.)

Hexon.Arq
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Hexon.Arq » Sun May 15, 2005 11:04 pm

Not having a DVD-Rom, I can't say anything about the frames appearing in their entirety, but I can say that the fact that eyecatches still appear to be grossly cropped on Platinum bothers me to death.

Well, maybe not to death. It's disappointing, is what it is.

_you can't do anything, so don't even try
_get some help
_don't do what sonic does

anatrok
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby anatrok » Mon May 16, 2005 12:52 pm

It's fine on a widescreen tv...

KIC
Embryo

Re: Eva DVD image cropping

•      
  •      

Postby KIC » Mon May 16, 2005 2:52 pm

toiletduck wrote:Hi. I'm really sorry if this has been discussed before, but has anyone noticed that the picture on the Evangelion DVDs looks cropped out on a 4:3 television but is fully displayed when played on a computer DVD player? (It's most apparent during some of the English episode title cards in the middle of the episodes - for example, the exclamation point in "Asuka STRIKES!" is not showing.)

This could just be very simple to explain: Some TV screens are partially covered by the TV casing (well, most TVs, actually - some are just worse than others). Computer monitors can be adjusted to show the entire screen, TVs not.

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey » Mon May 16, 2005 3:55 pm

TVs have "safe zones" around the edges, so you don't generally get to see the whole frame on normal TVs. It happens with just about all DVDs. There's nothing wrong with your DVDs.

thewayneiac
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby thewayneiac » Mon May 16, 2005 6:43 pm

But the "safe zone" did not interfere with the picture in ADV's original DVD releases. There is definately less picture this time around. Shin-seiki special ordered the Renewal disks from Japan (before we knew there was going to be a Platinum) and they have the same problem. So Gainax must have re-framed the digital masters in such a way that it caused the outer edges of the picture to intrude on the safe zone. This causes a BIG PROBLEM in EOE; in the scene towards the end where Rei is looking at Unit-01 in space, Rei is cropped out of the picture!
Rejoice, glory is ours. Our young men have not died in vain. Their graves need no flowers. The tapes have recorded their names.
I am all there is.
Negative! Primative! Limited! I let you live.
But I gave you life.
What else could you do?
To do what was right.
I'm perfect, are you?

Return to “Evangelion General and Chit-Chat”