Best pilot

This is the place to start: Feel free to introduce yourself, have general conversations and casual discussions about all things Evangelion, including chit-chatty topics like "Sachiel is adorable" or "Which Eva kicks the most ass?"

Moderator: Board Staff

evils_death
Embryo

Best pilot

•      
  •      

Postby evils_death » Mon May 11, 2009 5:14 am

Most people seem to comment on how Asuka is the best pilot assuming the eva is not beserk; but I do not see how they came to this conclusion. Sure, her synch ratio is the highest (not including kaworu) but other than that she seems to me to be far too rash and did very little in the angel fights. With the exception of the easy fight with Matarael, she pretty much sucked.

I believe Rei is the best pilot among the three main pilots. She has very little showing and actually did get owned quite often. However, keeping in mind that she cannot synch with it as well as the others, she is fairly good (of course, its also very possible that unit-00 is fairly bad compared to other units). I believe this is shown through the dummy system, where a Rei clone used unit-01 to a better potential than Shinji.

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Mon May 11, 2009 6:03 am

Kaworu is the best.

Asuka comes second. When she's at her prime that is.

Shinji gets his butt saved by his Mom too many times but he has potential.

Rei is....well....she's probably a better pilot than Toji.

Guyver Spawn
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby Guyver Spawn » Mon May 11, 2009 9:06 am

I go with Rei since she is know what she is doing and always does what she is told.
Xbox live gamertag: Guyver Spawn 27
PSN: Hellspawn28

Timstuff
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Timstuff » Mon May 11, 2009 9:19 am

After the Blitzkrieg scene, I'd have to say Asuka. I mean, at her peak she kicked unbelievable amounts of ass!
DeviantArt profile being re-invented... Check back later.

BrikHaus
Dokutah Tenma
Dokutah Tenma

•      
  •      

Postby BrikHaus » Mon May 11, 2009 10:18 am

Gendo'sPapa wrote:Rei is....well....she's probably a better pilot than Toji.

At least Toji lasted longer than whoever was piloting Eva-04.
Awesomely Shitty
-"That purace has more badassu maddafaakas zan supermax spaceland."
-On EMF, as a thread becomes longer, the likelihood that fem-Kaworu will be mentioned increases exponentially.
-the only English language novel actually being developed in parallel to its Japanese version involving a pan-human Soviet in a galactic struggle to survive and to export the communist utopia/revolution to all the down trodden alien class and race- one of the premise being that Khrushchev remains and has abandoned Lysenko stupidity

Timstuff
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Timstuff » Mon May 11, 2009 10:34 am

"Oh man this is going to be so awesome, I'm going to get to pilot a giant robot! Huh? WHAT THE FU--"

*boom*

:pwnd:

Baz
Leliel
Leliel

•      
  •      

Postby Baz » Mon May 11, 2009 10:38 am

The pilot was just a dummy, anyway. No great loss.
Last edited by Baz on Mon May 11, 2009 10:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Software Error. Press left mouse button to continue.
Guru Meditation #00000004.0000AAC0

Taumiel
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Taumiel » Mon May 11, 2009 10:38 am

Ok, let's check every pilot's score, based on their kills. I'm making every angel 12 points worth, so that they may be evenly divided in all cases. I'm absolutely SURE this has been done before in the forum, I'm just too lazy to search:
[code:1]
Pilots: Rei Asuka Shinji

Angels:

3rd - - - (Berserker EVA-01)
4th - - 12
5th 6 - 6
6th - 6 6
7th - 6 6
8th - 12 -
9th 4 4 4
10th 4 4 4
11th - - - (Ritsuko Akagi)
12th - - - (Berserker EVA-01)
13th - - - (Dummy Plug System)
14th - - - (Berserker EVA-01)
15th 12 - -
16th 12 - -
17th 6 - 6

Total: 44 32 44
[/code:1]
I'm awarding no points to Shinji for angels that were killed by his berserker EVA; but maybe he deserves some in the case of Zeruel.

I'm awarding no points to Asuka for her fight with the MP EVAs; she made a lot of kills at the moment, but none of them were real due to her opponents' regenerative powers. Again, maybe she deserves some.

Although she wasn't a pilot at that moment, I'm awarding Rei one half of Tabris' points because she helped to defeat him by cancelling the angel's AT-field, allowing Shinji to catch him.

And, if we consider Yui a sort of a pilot, her score is still higher than Asuka's - 36 points (!)

Finally, all these scores are quite pointless :nyao:

Anyway, discuss and enjoy!
Last edited by Taumiel on Mon May 11, 2009 10:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

Timstuff
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Timstuff » Mon May 11, 2009 10:42 am

I don't think it's fair not to give Asuka any points for the MP Eva battle. SHe kicked all their asses, and the only reason she lost when they came back was because her Eva ran out of juice.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Mon May 11, 2009 11:11 am

Taumiel wrote:she made a lot of kills at the moment, but none of them were real due to her opponents' regenerative powers.

She made zero kills, due to the simple fact that you have to critically damage or destroy an Eva's core to kill her. Also, contrary to the remarkably popular belief, the harpies never, ever "regenerated".

Timstuff wrote:SHe kicked all their asses

The battle was a bit on the contrived side, to be honest. Some of the harpies just played possum after receiving a fairly small (for them) amount of damage, and waited until Eva-02 was down to reactivate. THEN they demonstrated simultaneous team coordination and ferocity -- hey, where was that before, when they were actually INTACT?

They could have just skewered Eva-02 from the air, then brutally mobbed her, at the very beginning. But obviously the script was going for a "cool" battle sequence with cannon fodder baddies and lots of gore, where "Asuka gets to kick ass", and if it's effective people won't think about how little sense it makes.

I never quite understood the allure of arguing over "who's the most skilled at manipulating an enslaved god through the medium of their mom's/etc. soul?" Quite tasteless, really...
Last edited by Reichu on Mon May 11, 2009 11:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

Baz
Leliel
Leliel

•      
  •      

Postby Baz » Mon May 11, 2009 11:20 am

Reichu wrote:I never quite understood the allure of arguing over "who's the most skilled at manipulating an enslaved god through the medium of their mom's/etc. soul?" Quite tasteless, really...

Spare some sympathy for all the poor innocent angels who were turned into statistics?
Software Error. Press left mouse button to continue.
Guru Meditation #00000004.0000AAC0

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Mon May 11, 2009 11:27 am

Baz wrote:Spare some sympathy for all the poor innocent angels who were massacred too, eh?

Need more references to Nerv's "genocide operations" and the "slaughtering of innocent children"? I guess I can do that... :tongue:
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

oOoOoOo
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby oOoOoOo » Mon May 11, 2009 11:36 am

There was an episode where the pilots competed against each other in MORTAL KOMBAT to determine the ULTIMATE CHAMPION? Or did that just happen in the manga. I haven't read the manga yet. ;_;

But seriously, Reichu is right on the money here. We're talking about a bunch of child soldiers (some of which are not entirely human) who are piloting pseudo-human-god-something-creatures. With each battle being unique, and emotions and the apocalypse involved, can we really use mathematics to determine this? A peer-reviewed journal would never publish this thread. ^_~

To speculate, whoever has the most open heart would be the best pilot, wouldn't they?
~ O-chan is soooo 2D right now.

Gamer_2k4
Israfel
Israfel

•      
  •      

Postby Gamer_2k4 » Mon May 11, 2009 11:39 am

Kaworu is the best because of how closely he can synch with the Evas (he could control Unit 02 without even being in it, after all).

Asuka comes second from a talent perspective. Both her intro battle against Gaghiel and her fight with the MP evas prove that.

Shinji is third just from sheer determination. His victories aren't pretty (see the fight against Shamshel), but through a mix of following orders and personal initiative, he comes out on top most of the time.

Rei doesn't really do anything noteworthy, in my opinion. She's mostly in support roles, and there's nothing special about her control of an eva or her tactics.
Gamer_2k4

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Mon May 11, 2009 11:49 am

Gamer_2k4 wrote:Kaworu is the best because of how closely he can synch with the Evas (he could control Unit 02 without even being in it, after all).

I think his control over Eva-02 relied in part on how emo Kyoko was at the time.

OP wrote:where a Rei clone used unit-01 to a better potential than Shinji.

No clone, just personality data. See one of the psychotic dummy plug/system threads if you're confused.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

Holy Diver
Armisael
Armisael

•      
  •      

Postby Holy Diver » Mon May 11, 2009 2:41 pm

Asuka is the best pilot because she was training for combat for years before she entered the series. I think she knew what she was doing in episode 8.

However, Shinji was able to destroy Sachiel with no experience at all. I think he also claimed the most lives (but I might be wrong). He must have had the gods by his side considering how unwarlike he was.
Deus Io Vult! (God wills it!)
"Get your ass in gear!" Asuka

"Catdog has an S2 engine in his stomach. He does not need to eat, and whatever he does eat is reacted with antimatter to provide endless energy." Ruthlessly stolen from anon.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Mon May 11, 2009 2:48 pm

Holy Diver wrote:However, Shinji was able to destroy Sachiel with no experience at all.

More like Shinji's overprotective mom.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

Gamer_2k4
Israfel
Israfel

•      
  •      

Postby Gamer_2k4 » Mon May 11, 2009 2:54 pm

Reichu wrote:
Holy Diver wrote:However, Shinji was able to destroy Sachiel with no experience at all.

More like Shinji's overprotective mom.

Yeah, Shinji totally took a back seat on that one. He took a step, fell down, and essentially curled up in the fetal position while Sachiel kicked him around.
Gamer_2k4

Joseph the PRPD
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Joseph the PRPD » Mon May 11, 2009 3:02 pm

Who is the best Evangelion pilot?

At least one of the 18th angels.
Cheese wheel in the U.S. Coast Guard.

Alaska Slim
Frigus Ignoramus
Frigus Ignoramus

•      
  •      

Postby Alaska Slim » Mon May 11, 2009 4:46 pm

Joseph the PRPD wrote:At least one of the 18th angels.

Meh, that orbish-storm one was crap.

If we can include Rebuild performances, I'd definitely say Asuka. :smirk:
"Therefore encourage one another and build one another up, just as you are doing." - 1 Thessalonians 5:11

"It is one of the blessings of old friends that you can afford to be stupid with them." -Ralph Waldo Emerson

"God is in his Heaven, and free men walk upon the Earth" - Rev. Robert Sirico, President of the Acton Institute

Return to “Evangelion General and Chit-Chat”