Who thought Eva was BS...

This is the place to start: Feel free to introduce yourself, have general conversations and casual discussions about all things Evangelion, including chit-chatty topics like "Sachiel is adorable" or "Which Eva kicks the most ass?"

Moderator: Board Staff

Before you saw EVA, did you think it was just another typical anime not worth worthing?

Yes, I did.
24%
No, not me. I already knew it would be good.
36%
What do mean? I didn't even know what it is until I saw it the first time.
40%

Total votes: 25

JinKazama
Adam

Who thought Eva was BS...

•      
  •      

Postby JinKazama » Fri May 13, 2005 5:06 am

...but completely changed your mind after you saw it?

I'm one, just seen it a few weeks ago. both the TV series and movie ending, and hello to everyone, this is my first post. I'm new to this forum, want to know how many of you are one of those who first though Eva was crap. Please take the poll question, thankx. :wink:
--== P.F.P. ==--
Philosophy of Freedom Project
.... If The Third Impact is an imagining of mankind in search for the ultimate freedom and individuality, it's clear that The Philosophy of Freedom Project will be the only solution in reality ....

the_seventh_child
radio gaga
radio gaga

•      
  •      

Postby the_seventh_child » Fri May 13, 2005 5:18 am

No, not me. I already knew it would be good..^_^
Anime and manga unite us all. Much better than the Olympics. - Carl Horn |11.30.2004.
"As of this moment, we are changing from soldiers to pirates!" - Captain Jeffrey Wilder (Macross Frontier #22)

Ryo
Matarael
Matarael

•      
  •      

Postby Ryo » Fri May 13, 2005 8:01 am

Well, I did, sorta. I didn't even think it was an average anime... I really didn't like the entire concept of emotionally messed up kids who gets even more messed up. And look what a horrible human being I have become. :P
Asuka > Rei

JinKazama
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby JinKazama » Fri May 13, 2005 8:30 am

thankx for the replies and votes both of you!
.......only 3 ppl voted so far though(including myself).... 8)
--== P.F.P. ==--
.... If The Third Impact is an imagining of mankind in search for the ultimate freedom and individuality, it's clear that The Philosophy of Freedom Project will be the only solution in reality ....

Digitalex
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby Digitalex » Fri May 13, 2005 10:27 am

I did. Back when it first came out in the US, I have heard all this hype and to be honest it turned me off because I get inflated expectations. I watched the first few episodes and thought it was pretty good but had to wait for the next bunch of episodes to come out and that's where my interest waned.

It wasn't until a few months ago that I decided to revisit the series after watching some really good Evangelion AMVs. I ordered a used Perfect Collection and and was blown away. My take was I wasn't ready for it back then but am now. :lol:

I've been so enamored by it that I recently picked up a bunch of artbooks and toys. I even ordered the Platinum edition. I've gotten all DVDs in except for 0:3. I must say that I have no regrets of having both sets. The Platinum video quality is clearly superior.

AchtungAffen
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby AchtungAffen » Fri May 13, 2005 11:07 am

I knew little of anime, but heard a little about Eva being good. One day I caught ep3 (I think) with the violet Angel and said to myself "What's with this crappy pokemon?". A few episodes later I was a total addict.
"Oh, Constantine! To how many evils origin was given, not by your conversion to Christianity, but by the dowry which from you received the first Pope that was rich!" - Dante
How can you expect to live in a Republic when you don't care about the res-publica?
"The gun, in all its forms, was the epochal tool of white male supremacy, which is why it continues to have irrational appeal. As much as the jack-booted hate Jews and blacks, that much they love their guns." - James Carrol
My List @ AniDB

- Original activist against the lockers-that-be -

Hunter21
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Hunter21 » Fri May 13, 2005 12:29 pm

I didn't really know what it was at first. I was just getting into anime and I passed by the perfect collection box and thought it looked cool. I already saw Anno's Nadia and figured that this one was probably pretty good too. Sometimes I really wonder if that was a really smart decision or not.

(By the way JinKazama, you need to fix the sentence structure in your third choice. And more importantly before someone yells at you in all caps, please do not double post. Just go back and edit your previous post. And because I am being a bit of an ass today, please do not revive dead posts unless you have something new and useful to say. :?
EVANGERIONANIME is stupid

Come Join the Sakaki Fan Club!

Remember you're on Evageeks, where preset personal delusions outweigh reality.

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Fri May 13, 2005 2:01 pm

When I picked up the first DVD, all I knew of the series was that it was supposed to be one of the better giant robot anime; so with Dirty Pair Flash and Burn-Up Excess under my belt, I didn't have any great expectations, just hoping for some harmless shoot-em-up fun.

Boy was I surprised!
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Shwiggie
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Shwiggie » Fri May 13, 2005 2:48 pm

I'd never heard about it until it was recommended to me.

Back when Toonami started up on Cartoon Network, they were running old Robotech reruns. Heading to the local comic shop, I was checking to see if they were available on video anywhere. There I was told that the latest and greatest thing along those lines was a show called Evangelion, which I'd never heard of.

Flash forward to 1999. Home from college for my father's heart surgery, I visited the local shop there to get a deal, as it was going out of business and everything was on sale. I picked up all but four volumes of the Evangelion VHS release for 75% off, paying about $70. I picked up most of the others fairly soon after that (all but one subtitled)...and was incensed when the DVDs were announced not very long afterwards :p

I just knew it was supposed to be really good when I got it. I didn't know it'd go on to become my favorite animated program of all time....

Hexon.Arq
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Hexon.Arq » Fri May 13, 2005 6:30 pm

I had no real concept of what anime was before I saw Evangelion. Going into it, I was already completely invested in its characters; as a cartoon, I had no expectations of it at all. I knew less about the basic concept than I did about the characters; the fact that there were robot-like things was actually one of my later discoveries.

_you can't do anything, so don't even try
_get some help
_don't do what sonic does

Dave
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby Dave » Fri May 13, 2005 7:54 pm

Hexon.Arq wrote:...as a cartoon, I had no expectations of it at all.

Impressive, most folks I know can't seem to put aside that fact. The conversation often goes like this:

"What's this?"
"A good show."
"Looks like a cartoon."
"It is, but that does not change the fact that it is good."
"Sorry, but I don't like cartoons."

As for me, I was young enough to not judge until I had seen. Although honestly, I was expecting another show like DBZ. Don't get me wrong, at the time I was in LOVE with DBZ; thankfully, my expectations were far exceeded.
Beatus vir qui suffert tentationem.

Digitalex
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby Digitalex » Fri May 13, 2005 8:16 pm

Dave wrote:
"What's this?"
"A good show."
"Looks like a cartoon."
"It is, but that does not change the fact that it is good."
"Sorry, but I don't like cartoons."

I've run into a few of those types. The funny thing is I see them shortly on line at the theatres waiting to see Finding Nemo or Toy Story (both of which I do like).

Hexon.Arq
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Hexon.Arq » Fri May 13, 2005 8:33 pm

One can't really blame people for so readily dismissing Japanese cartoons. The animation style employed in anime demanded my patience before I got used to it. It's naive to assume that Japanese animation is going to wow everyone who sees it for the first time, when in fact this is usually far from having a chance at being true. I remember reading reviews for Evangelion that applauded the animation as being "spectacular" and "amazing" and thinking, "Are these people insane?"

_you can't do anything, so don't even try
_get some help
_don't do what sonic does

Dave
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby Dave » Fri May 13, 2005 8:56 pm

Yes, but you obviously gave it at least a small chance Hexon. That's a hell of a lot more than I can say of others.
Beatus vir qui suffert tentationem.

JinKazama
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby JinKazama » Sat May 14, 2005 1:08 am

Back in 1998, the first time I heard of EVA, it was much-hyped I thought at the time, and one of my friend got really into it and told me to read the EVA manga. regardless of how good he told me eva was at that time, after seeing a few pictures of the Manga I concluded EVA was nothing more than typical cartoon for kids who like fancy robots and stupid teenage sitcoms. Years passed, DBZ became popular again brought me back my early memories of Anime/manga I watched such as DBZ, Robotech, Runma 1/2 etc. Began from last year I happen to find out my friends are watching animes too so I watched with them some of the new animes like Ghost in the Shell, Kenshin and The Last Vampire. Now I found myself got into anime again and was looking 4 the really good ones, some1 mentioned EVA to me and I think maybe worth giving it a go though I still think it would be about what I thought it would be like back in 1998, so I rented the a few early episodes of the TV series and watched them.... "wow....incredible...I must buy the whole boxset!" and after I watched the whole TV series....."wow....amazing....I must get the movie collections!". Thats how I got into EVA. 8)
--== P.F.P. ==--

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Tue May 17, 2005 5:48 pm

Didn't know a thing about NGE. I'd heard the name, and that was it. Siblings told me to watch it, so I shrugged and complied. Diving in without a single preconception is one of my favorite methods.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey » Wed May 18, 2005 9:45 am

What the fuck?? I disabled polling. Stupid phpbb. :x

DatDude
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby DatDude » Wed May 18, 2005 11:42 am

The Eva Monkey wrote:What the fuck?? I disabled polling. Stupid phpbb. :x

Don't you mean

[ritsuko voice]

THIS SHOULDN'T BE HAPPINING !

[/ritsuko voice]
There was an EVA Nerd here, but now he's gone.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Wed May 18, 2005 11:49 am

The Eva Monkey wrote:What the fuck?? I disabled polling. Stupid phpbb. :x

What's wrong with polls? Not all of them totally suck.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

Soluzar
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

•      
  •      

Postby Soluzar » Wed May 18, 2005 2:34 pm

For my part, I watched it way back when it came out on VHS, years ago, and found the series sort of OK. I enjoyed some parts, but found the ending to be kind of incomplete, and that sort of ruined it for me. Cut forwards about 4 or 5 years, and I'm getting back into anime with a vengeance. Somehow, anime seems to have grown up in my absense, or maybe I grew up, and started watching better anime.

In any case, nostalgia drove me to purchase the NGE DVDs, and what do I find? EoE. Not even out when I first watched the tapes, I don't think, this film is totally new to me. I loved it. It took me a few viewings to understand, but without EoE, I would never have become an NGE-geek. As it stood, the show just felt incomplete without EoE. I love the TV ending, but only as long as I know that EoE is there as well. I couldn't ever be happy with just the TV ending.
Natsukashii, ne?

Return to “Evangelion General and Chit-Chat”