The Gainax Cash Cow, or, Why The F*!& Did I Buy That?!

For talking about all other entries in the Evangelion franchise: from the various manga and video games to merchandising and various video/audio releases.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
marmotgirl
Tunniel
Tunniel

The Gainax Cash Cow, or, Why The F*!& Did I Buy That?!

Postby marmotgirl » Thu Sep 13, 2007 7:50 pm

Okay, so we all know that Gainax is a Giant Conscienceless Moneymaking Machine, which views artistic integrity as so much meaningless fluff in the face of corporate gain. We have seen the endless parade of tat which they spew forth in order to tempt our hard-earned cash from us. We scorn it, we decry it, we...inevitably give in to it like the sheep that we are :cry:

So. Here is the thread to confess - or to celebrate. What's the most cringeworthy piece of Eva crap lurking in your domain? The thing that you try to ignore, but that catches your eye every now and then, and makes you physically cringe and cry aloud, "Oh Jesus did I spend MONEY on that?!"

Or, in your better moods, the merchandise that moves you to joy; that, whenever your eye lights upon it, leads to your clenching a triumphant fist with the thought, "Fuck yeah, that's cool!"

My initial confession is of the former type:

*cringe*
"Dude, it's not that I don't think you're cool or anything but the fact is that that guy is driving a Big Red GTO and you're pissing about in an enraged banana."

CorporalChaos
Test Subject
Test Subject

Postby CorporalChaos » Thu Sep 13, 2007 7:53 pm

I'm poor enough. I have the series and nothing else.

Do I win?
Occam's Razor: The simplest explanation is generally the correct one.
Essel's Corollary: The simplest explanation is never the fanon one.

marmotgirl
Tunniel
Tunniel

Postby marmotgirl » Thu Sep 13, 2007 7:55 pm

CorporalChaos wrote:I'm poor enough. I have the series and nothing else.

Do I win?

In terms of self respect, probably :lol:
"Dude, it's not that I don't think you're cool or anything but the fact is that that guy is driving a Big Red GTO and you're pissing about in an enraged banana."

TriLink
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

Postby TriLink » Thu Sep 13, 2007 7:59 pm

Other than the DVD's, I have two wallscrolls and one poster that I'm very fond of. I'd like to get a few more posters and such, but you can only plaster your wall with so many big boobied 14 year old animated girls before your friends and family start to worry about you, ya know?
" Just one question America...WHO IS FUCKING OUR PING PONG BALLS!?" -Dr.Stephen T Colbert DFA

CorporalChaos
Test Subject
Test Subject

Postby CorporalChaos » Thu Sep 13, 2007 8:01 pm

TriLink12 wrote:Other than the DVD's, I have two wallscrolls and one poster that I'm very fond of. I'd like to get a few more posters and such, but you can only plaster your wall with so many big boobied 14 year old animated girls before your friends and family start to worry about you, ya know?

Yes.

Although I am a closet weeaboo.... they wouldn't know anything.

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Thu Sep 13, 2007 8:02 pm

The only thing I can think of that comes close is the Ayanami Raising Project with Asuka Complete Project for the PS2. I first brought it thinking it would be the absolute shit, so I was somewhat disappointed that it wasn't.

For instance, in some ways, the interactivity reminds me of the GoS1 and 2 games, although you're not just reduced to the commands of "talk", "look" and "think", especially considering you're an original-character made for the game. (What really sucks but is good in some respects is the Angel battles are pre-programmed to happen a certain way. For instance, Rei's battle with the 16th results in Asuka SAVING Rei 2!)

I was hoping that despite this, the would more of a chance at seeing romantic scenes between S/A or even S/R, but that isn't really the case. :( Any romantic type scenes are mostly reduced to the player and the Evagirl you're raising, although in the Rei version of the game you fight for Rei's affections between yourself, Shinji and *shudders* Gendo supposedly.

The Asuka version has you fight between yourself, Shinji and Kaji. And yes, there supposedly IS an Asuka gets Kaji ending, though I've yet to obtain it.

Despite this, I am overall happy with this purchase; it's a cute little detour and even has some of that Classic Eva Angstyness towards the game's end.

PS2 Evangelions 2, here I come! (I hope to buy it or get it for Christmas. ^^; )

In some ways, I guess my purchase of the First Volume of Sadamoto's manga left me VERY disappointed, but that's because I didn't except Shinji would be such a different character, and so soon.

In terms of what other Eva goods I personally own, not much.

A few figures here and there that my Stepbrother brought me:
~a Limited Edtion San Diego Comic Con Racing Queen Ayanami

~Episode 26 "Take care of yourself" Asuka & Rei GoS2 school uniform figures

~the XX Angels (Lilith, the 3rd and the 14th) minus Tabiris

~Japanese Die Sterne Artbook

~3 Eva Celeb Party time figures: Maya in a costume...thing with mask, Rei in a gown...thing and Asuka in a seemingly inappropriate for the party it is Chinese Dress

~Volumes 1, 2, 3, 4, and 6 of Platinum (I'll get the others at some point! @_@)

~all 6 Volumes of the "Angelic Days" manga. ^_^

Stuff I purchased myself:
~Some Gasapon figures of Misato in her NERV outfit, Shinji with Pen^2, Asuka and Rei in their Episode 09 Swimsuits

~Domestic Release of the Refrain of Evangelion CD

~Black NERV T-shirt

~Bootleg CD of Evangelion: Addition

I also (illegally obtained *ahem*) and played both GoS games which are, again "cute" diversions but can't beat the series itself.

I know this isn't a lot, seeing as most anime fans(??) have at least 5 times more goods than what I listed. ^^; (Even my Sailormoon collection of Goods is on the small side, same with my overall Anime and Manga Collection.)
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

Trigger's Elysium
Lilin
Lilin

Postby Trigger's Elysium » Thu Sep 13, 2007 8:56 pm

I just own the series and the movies, sadly

nice fingernails
He was warrior and mystic, ogre and saint, the fox and the innocent, chivalrous, ruthless, less than a god, more than a man. There is no measuring Muad'Dib's motives by ordinary standards. In the moment of his triumph, he saw the death prepared for him, yet he accepted the treachery. Can you say he did this out of a sense of justice? Whose justice, then? Remember, we speak now of the Muad'Dib who ordered battle drums made from his enemies' skins, the Muad'Dib who denied the conventions of his ducal past with a wave of the hand, saying merely: "I am the Kwisatz Haderach. That is reason enough."

marmotgirl
Tunniel
Tunniel

Postby marmotgirl » Thu Sep 13, 2007 9:17 pm

Trigger's Elysium wrote:nice fingernails

Jesus, I look like I have old crone's hands. That nailpolish has seen me from a week of partying Key West, Florida, to a week of dul reality in Glasgow, Scotland, and it ain't lookin the better for the journey!

I have to admit to having a shameful amount of random eva crap; the direct result of still living at home, rent free, with a minimal social life, moderate disposable income and a nasty ebay addiction.

-2007 MOVIC Stick posters (collection in progress)- Plugsuit Rei and Kaworu, School Uniform Rei, Asuka and Shinji (and I have a spare Plugsuit Rei for sale if anyone's interested)
-Portrait Series 1 and 3 Complete, and Maya of Series 2
- 'Take Care Of Yourself' Figure Set - Kaworu, Alt School Rei & Asuka
- EoE Figure set - Shinji, Harpy-Killer Asuka
- Type-F Series Gashapon Asuka
- 1997 Plushies - Ritsuko, Shinji, Misato, Unit - 01 (same set as far as I can tell)
- 1997 Plushies - Kaworu & Kaji (different, far better quality set)
- That godawful Harpy plushie
- Large Rei & Asuka plushies (all over ebay, blonde Asuka set)
- Rei & Asuka Schoolgirl Gashapon, Kaworu & Yui gashapon, and Misato gashapon fro variou sets
- Goth Loli Asuka 1/8 model
- Kaworu & Shinji 1/8 Model
- Tabris XX, Sachiel XX and Zeruel XX figures
- Old Ps2 Chibi figures - Rei, Asuka, Misato, Kaworu, Unit-00, Unit-01, Unit-01, Lilith and Israfel (IsraWHO?! Random!)
- Eva 6-piece Postcard set
- 2007 Animage calendar
- A metric fucktonne of Rebuild shit
- Agonisingly constucted Misato cosplay

Dear crap that's a lot of shit for a perma-student. Thank fuck I live on cheese and muesli and don't make much noise.

CorporalChaos
Test Subject
Test Subject

Postby CorporalChaos » Thu Sep 13, 2007 9:25 pm

marmotgirl wrote: Thank fuck I live on cheese and muesli and don't make much noise.

That's not funny, H.P Lovecraft died from that (well, that and cancer)

But seriously, right now the only thing Eva related that I have right now are pictures I found on the internet, although I intend to sketch them onto T-Shirts eventually...

marmotgirl
Tunniel
Tunniel

Postby marmotgirl » Thu Sep 13, 2007 9:31 pm

CorporalChaos wrote:
marmotgirl wrote: Thank fuck I live on cheese and muesli and don't make much noise.

That's not funny, H.P Lovecraft died from that (well, that and cancer)

What's even less funny is that the day I graduated University, someone arrived in the pub with a "Your Literary Death" Game (because yes, that's how we got our kicks apparently) and my answers came somewhere between Percy Shelley and Lovecraft!

Which I suppose means I'm going to drown in museli, or something to that effect.

CorporalChaos
Test Subject
Test Subject

Postby CorporalChaos » Thu Sep 13, 2007 9:35 pm

marmotgirl wrote:What's even less funny is that the day I graduated University, someone arrived in the pub with a "Your Literary Death" Game (because yes, that's how we got our kicks apparently) and my answers came somewhere between Percy Shelley and Lovecraft!

Which I suppose means I'm going to drown in museli, or something to that effect.

I'm a mix between :shock: and :lol:

Sandoz
Lilith

Postby Sandoz » Thu Sep 13, 2007 9:59 pm

TV series/Movies/Manga:
*All thirteen volumes of the original VHS release
*ADV's original DVD release
*The Director's Cut episodes
*The complete Platinum Collection
*Manga's first edition of Death and Rebirth and End of Evangelion
*Sadamoto's manga vols. 1-10 (English)
*GoS2/Angelic Days 1-6 (English)

Artbooks:
*The Adam and Eve Photo Files
*Der Mond
*Die Sterne
*Girlfriend of Steel
*Shinji Ikari Raising Project
*Evangelion Newtype Collection
*Groundwork of Evangelion vols. 1-3, and Movie 1-2
*Neon Genesis Evangelion: in 3D New Edition
*Rei Ayanami Scheduled: Official Graphic Library

Toys/Figures/Misc.:
*Kaiyodo action figures of all the Eva Units
*Two Asuka UFO catchers (one in the yellow dress, one in a towel)
*Three Rei UFO catchers (bathing suit, plugsuit, Rei I)
*Asuka and Kaworu Kubricks
*Asuka action figure
*Special edition Asuka figurine
*a NERV logo t-shirt and a Rei and Eva-01 shirt
*3 doujinshi
*A couple Evangelion postcard sets
*Rei and Unit-00 pencil board
*Several Cardass movie cards
*Death and Rebirth program book
*Several Asuka keychains
*About ten posters and five wallscrolls

As for the purchases I regret, well, I'm not happy about paying for episodes 21-26 four times. I never had a use for Eva postcards or pencil boards and while I enjoy my artbooks very much I know I paid too much for a few of them when I bought them at conventions. I definitely don't need that many posters and wallscrolls and most of them are taking up dust in storage. I've collected all this over a period of about six years, and plan to sell at least half of it over the next few months. I am no longer your whore, Gainax! (Yeah, right.)

CorporalChaos
Test Subject
Test Subject

Postby CorporalChaos » Thu Sep 13, 2007 10:05 pm

Sandoz wrote:I am no longer your whore, Gainax! (Yeah, right.)

You're not the whore, Gainax is. You're just the john.

drinian
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Postby drinian » Thu Sep 13, 2007 10:07 pm

The most obscure piece of Eva merchandise that I own is an original copy of the "Neon Genesis Evangelion: Addition" CD that saw a limited release concurrent with End of Evangelion. It has the "After the End" audio drama on it. About four years ago, I kept a close eye on Ebay for Evangelion goods and was lucky enough to catch it (probably the only time a non-pirated copy was on auction). Only cost me about $12, too.

I also got a few things in Akihabara, including a $30 MAGI tshirt (visible in my Otakon photos) and a neat little gatachapon toy called a "sounddrop." It's a little, red keychain fob with a big button saying "UNIT 01." When you press it, Asuka goes "ANTA BAKA?" Great way to annoy people. I also probably spent about 500 yen working on getting Eva stuff out of UFO catchers.

And I can probably guarantee that none of you have done this:
Bizarrely enough, this was part of the advertising for a pachinko parlor. Evangelion is all over pachinko parlors, for some reason.

marmotgirl
Tunniel
Tunniel

Postby marmotgirl » Thu Sep 13, 2007 10:11 pm

drinian wrote:Image[/url]
Bizarrely enough, this was part of the advertising for a pachinko parlor. Evangelion is all over pachinko parlors, for some reason.

I have never seen Shinji look so indignant :lol:

Rommel
Ireul
Ireul

Postby Rommel » Thu Sep 13, 2007 11:13 pm

drinian wrote:And I can probably guarantee that none of you have done this:

That's it: I'm pretty much not getting any sleep tonight. :shock:

slothen
First Ancestral Sloth
First Ancestral Sloth

Postby slothen » Thu Sep 13, 2007 11:55 pm

fixed 8)

hmm how much have a spent on Eva related items.. well, i ordered a black baseball cap with the NERV logo on it. I managed to lose it after 3 days. I'm considering buying a few posters or a maybe a NERV tshirt. Never bought the episodes or dvds. I do have a legit End of Evangelion dvd, but i just borrowed it from someone and never gave it back.
God, Apparently you all have been discussing Q since November. Catching up on the discussion is harrowing.

MAL Profile

CorporalChaos
Test Subject
Test Subject

Postby CorporalChaos » Fri Sep 14, 2007 12:23 am

slothen wrote:Image

Shroomicidal Shinji is Shroooooooooomicidal.

TheAyanamiOtaku
Test Subject
Test Subject

Postby TheAyanamiOtaku » Fri Sep 14, 2007 1:03 am

got both movie and series via torrents! muahahahahaha....and all OST's, including Addition and the EVA Symphony soundtrack...thing, with the voice actors "acting" out an additional scene...think it's called MC1-4 or something. anyways i don't understand any of it but it still soundz cool.

At one point I was considering getting the Revoltech Evas, but I'm not so sure now...no monies.

Muahahaha! Gainax didn't catch meeee! (yet? is Revoltech affiliated with Gainax? Meaning that does some of the money go to Gainax if i bui Revoltech stuff?) >+D
Rei: I'm not your puppet.

The Allied States of Syraneen

shinesman_cobalt
Tunniel
Tunniel

Postby shinesman_cobalt » Fri Sep 14, 2007 3:11 am

My sister actually bought this for me when she visited Japan. If only she had gotten me some Evangelion doritos too, I could have had a hearty feast!
"What's wrong with running away from reality if it sucks!?"

Return to “Everything Else Evangelion”