My Multi-video Eva Analysis Project

For Eva-related fan projects: fanfiction, fanart, AMVs, and other creations. Share your work and discuss others' here.

Moderator: Board Staff

ngamer3k
Embryo

My Multi-video Eva Analysis Project

•      
  •      

Postby ngamer3k » Tue Apr 28, 2009 5:35 pm

Maybe some of you already know about my videos on Youtube discussing Eva in an organized and presentable fashion. But to get more feedback and exposure from the fan community, I will start posting them here as well. The project already has three episodes with others that supplement these.

Please, understand my purpose. I intend only to present MY analysis and interpretations of series in my videos. The whole point is to collect multiple viewpoints and create discussion. Any theoretical statements that may seem presented as fact are only done so to be more persuasive. :ting:

If you're interested in checking it out in the mean time, since I won't post these right away, search for "Project Eva" and my name, "ngamer3k" on Youtube.

Or if you're lazy: http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p=1DDF84DC29816F05

SpacemanSchmuck
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby SpacemanSchmuck » Tue Sep 22, 2009 12:24 pm

cool man! I've been thinking about doing the same or similar... but I don't have a webcam and stuff. It's cool you are presenting what you know and your thoughts! :grin: I especially like that you are trying to turn it into a discussion instead of just acting like Moses coming down the mountain with stone tablets.

My theory is that Rebuild is actually a sort of continuation. Have you gotten to see it yet? It's crazy! Especially the 2nd movie. Wow.

I don't know what I think about the "canon" status of Sadamoto's comic... haven't actually read it! ^_^ I did read Re-Take though and that was pretty great (drippy hentai besides)....
"This time, I will definitely make you happy."
---
Yes, I have watched Evangelion, the series and all four movies, at least thirty times in the past ten years. Some of it much more than that.

I just want to say I'm not very active in this forum because I get WAY too passionate about Eva and my opinions and theories and I know it, and I don't want to get carried away and start flamewars. It's (not) what I really want to do. ha ;)
http://www.recklessillumination.org

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey » Tue Sep 22, 2009 3:17 pm

I commend the effort, but what I listened to was kind of "meh". Evangelion as a subject doesn't work very well in video podcast format. It's much more in need of the formal composition that writing is known for. I'm also a bit turned off by hearing some of the same misconceptions reiterated yet again to a new audience.

Also, it's sad to see the one video that has been viewed a lot is titled in such a way that people probably think it's actually a clip from The End of Evangelion, and click through on that basis. The insight tab on the viewer retention for that video must be interesting.

MatrixRefugee
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby MatrixRefugee » Tue Sep 22, 2009 5:51 pm

Interesting stuff and I love the idea, but the presentation is a bit... I hate to say "pedestrian" or "run of the mill", but that's the first things coming to mind.
My Anime List profile || DarkScribes page

Avatar: At least the wintry gent is smiling a bit, instead of facepalming...

ngamer3k
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby ngamer3k » Tue Sep 22, 2009 6:51 pm

The Eva Monkey wrote:I commend the effort, but what I listened to was kind of "meh". Evangelion as a subject doesn't work very well in video podcast format. It's much more in need of the formal composition that writing is known for. I'm also a bit turned off by hearing some of the same misconceptions reiterated yet again to a new audience.

Also, it's sad to see the one video that has been viewed a lot is titled in such a way that people probably think it's actually a clip from The End of Evangelion, and click through on that basis. The insight tab on the viewer retention for that video must be interesting.

I agree that the subject matter is more suited to a written form, but most people need the video format to fully understand some things. Like people's need to watch movies over books even though the books are usually better and unquestionable more intellectual.

Also, I have taken the time to deliberately NOT reinitiate stupid myths or misconceptions, so I'm curious to what you think I said that reflects that.

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey » Tue Sep 22, 2009 10:29 pm

ngamer3k wrote:I agree that the subject matter is more suited to a written form, but most people need the video format to fully understand some things. Like people's need to watch movies over books even though the books are usually better and unquestionable more intellectual.

It's not that videos are fundamentally easier to understand, it's that videos are a passive form of media that are easier to digest. I'd bet a healthy sum that the average person consumes far more video in their lives than literature. People prefer to passively consume culture, I'm fairly certain that's part of why video games haven't reached 100% saturation of the population the way movies and music have.

ngamer3k wrote:Also, I have taken the time to deliberately NOT reinitiate stupid myths or misconceptions, so I'm curious to what you think I said that reflects that.

You say that Episode 25 of the TV show was to cover the events of The End of Evangelion, and that episode 26 was to be something completely different. This is untrue. While the TV ending and The End of Evangelion may be different from the intended ending, the original scripts for both 25 and 26 of the TV series became The End of Evangelion, they even bear the original titles and the primed numbering convention shared with the video versions of 21-24. Also, The End of Evangelion is divided into two episodes, complete with bumpers in between, which further reinforces that you're seeing the ending as was originally intended. Also, the original animatic/preview for episode 25 of the TV series is composed of imagery from the first half of The End of Evangelion.

I don't know where you got that misconception, but it's definitely not one I've heard at any point in recent history. There are other things, you suggest that some of Shinji's classmates are missing fathers, however it is only ever stated that characters are missing mothers, and the entire premise of the show is built around the mother-child connection. I've never heard anyone advocate that the soul of a father could suffice for an Eva's core.

I also dislike the obvious preference for the dub. And yes, it's a well known fact around here that I fucking hate dubbing with a hot firey passion. Personal preference aside, the dub does alter the meaning of various things in the series, and I'm not just referring to performance, I'm referring to what is actually said. The Platinum subtitles do a much better job than the dub of being literal and faithful. Still not perfect though, but it's considerably better.

ngamer3k
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby ngamer3k » Wed Sep 23, 2009 10:26 pm

The Eva Monkey wrote:It's not that videos are fundamentally easier to understand, it's that videos are a passive form of media that are easier to digest. I'd bet a healthy sum that the average person consumes far more video in their lives than literature. People prefer to passively consume culture, I'm fairly certain that's part of why video games haven't reached 100% saturation of the population the way movies and music have.

More or less what I meant.

The Eva Monkey wrote:I don't know where you got that misconception, but it's definitely not one I've heard at any point in recent history. There are other things, you suggest that some of Shinji's classmates are missing fathers, however it is only ever stated that characters are missing mothers, and the entire premise of the show is built around the mother-child connection. I've never heard anyone advocate that the soul of a father could suffice for an Eva's core.

Ah, well that's just what I have always read to be honest at the time, now I know that and I've yet to be corrected so I've been kind of lazy in correcting myself there. Besides, it's almost a moot point (for at least) since I think that the TV series and the movie ending are compatible. (Which will be my next video)

And the father thing, I probably misspoke if I said specifically father, although I think I just say "a parent."

The Eva Monkey wrote:I also dislike the obvious preference for the dub. And yes, it's a well known fact around here that I fucking hate dubbing with a hot firey passion. Personal preference aside, the dub does alter the meaning of various things in the series, and I'm not just referring to performance, I'm referring to what is actually said. The Platinum subtitles do a much better job than the dub of being literal and faithful. Still not perfect though, but it's considerably better.

Well, I don't know Japanese, so unless you can give me a better translation than what is on the Platinum DVDs (which is what I'm using) than I have no problem showcasing the dub. If I recall correctly, none of the scenes I offered as evidence have any meaning altered significantly enough to not use the dub, and I have mainly pointed out generalities-- things that happen over the course of the show, not just one scene or something.

One example everyone should know of course is the last line. The ambiguity that is presented by the Japanese line is lost when its translated in English even in the subbed version. Even though I do believe Amanda Wynn Lee did her homework here and got the translation right (one thing she didn't screw up), it doesn't change the fact that a lot of the power of the line is lost. I'm not read up on many other examples throughout and if they're present, at this point, can you make the claim that any of my presented ideas (specifically in my relationship video) is totally refuted by things lost in translation?

The Invincible Shinji
Israfel
Israfel

•      
  •      

Postby The Invincible Shinji » Wed Sep 23, 2009 10:59 pm

Well ngamer, i'm very impressed with your Project Eva vid series. I always commend an effort to understand what was really going on in the series and from what i've watched, you guys have come the closest so i'm looking forward to your future vids. :thumbsup:
I'm an A/S shipper and Soryu and Shikinami are one in the same.

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey » Wed Sep 23, 2009 11:03 pm

ngamer3k wrote:I do believe Amanda Wynn Lee did her homework here and got the translation right (one thing she didn't screw up)

You just opened a huge can of worms.

I cannot take Amanda Winn Lee, or anyone who complements her ADR work seriously. Her commentary on the Manga DVDs are a blemish on her character she will never escape. She proves her ignorance with her profession repeatedly, for instance: insisting that there are no personal pronouns in the Japanese language. Something that any first semester Japanese student can tell you is pure nonsense. The Manga translation work is mired in error, and there are some that think it was based off of certain fansub work because of specific translation errors in common.

This is a fairly accurate description:
http://wiki.evageeks.org/The_Geektionary_A-G#Commentary_of_Evil

Amanda Winn Lee has a bad habit of ruining the integrity of Evangelion because of things she doesn't like.

If you're basing your analysis off of the Manga translation, especially the dub, you're going to run into trouble. The dub even goes so far as to indicate that Lilith was born of Adam, which is NOT true.

ngamer3k wrote:can you make the claim that any of my presented ideas (specifically in my relationship video) is totally refuted by things lost in translation?

If it was worth my time to watch all of your videos I could probably provide you several good examples. But my point isn't that there's problems with your dub clips, its that you're advocating an abstraction. I've said it before, and I'll say it again, if you're watching in Dub, you're not really watching Evangelion. I'm ashamed to admit, it took me a good five years to finally watch through all of Evangelion in subtitle. I only had the dubbed VHS for years, but watching in Japanese/Sub was an eye opening experience, it was like watching a completely different show.

ngamer3k
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby ngamer3k » Thu Sep 24, 2009 1:08 am

I never implied that I liked Amanda Winn-Lee's work on the dub. In fact, I imply quite the opposite. I'm sure any Eva fan can agree that her commentary and most of her writing for the dub of End of Eva is a farce. BUT, I will always defend her translation of the last line. If you have a problem with that, then we stand on two different sides of a fence, I guess.

As for more sub vs dub banter, your assessment is somewhat fair, but I think a little exaggerated. Another point we may simply disagree on.

Anyway, I'm glad that at least some people have taken to what I've done as a positive thing for the community. I would like to know if you think what I've done so far is a blemish on the community or not? At the end of the day, we are all fans of a fantastic show, trying to show others how great it is. Yay? Nay?

MatrixRefugee
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby MatrixRefugee » Thu Sep 24, 2009 1:13 am

I think you have a good plan here and I certainly would not call it a blemish on the face of the community; I think you could tighten up your presentation a little (maybe jot down some notes or a very rough outline and refer to it as you record), but what you have planned is something that could, in time, become something big...
My Anime List profile || DarkScribes page

Avatar: At least the wintry gent is smiling a bit, instead of facepalming...

Return to “Fan Works”