"I Need You" scene

For serious and at times in-depth discussions only, covering the original TV series, the movies End of Evangelion and Death & Rebirth.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
houtaru
Lilith

"I Need You" scene (spoilers)

•      
  •      

Postby houtaru » Tue Jun 29, 2004 11:23 pm

Forgive me if this has been discussed numerous times, but I love this scene. I love discussing it. I have my own interpretation for this scene, but I'd like to know everyone else's opinions. I am a bit confused by some of it, and the FAQs i've read on the net do not completely satisfy me. Here are my thoughts:

I believe that Shinji chokes Asuka to get her to hit him, insult him, hurt him, push him off. This would, of course, give him the most comfort. Remeber the first scene in EOE? He begged her to call him an idiot. He wants her to at the very least acknowlegde him.

So when she carresses his face, its the last thing he'd (and we'd) expect. I assume that she does this as a sign that she is willing to 'reach out' to someone, to confirm there is another person alive. He breaks down, I assume, feeling guilty for hurting her - not only here choking her, but also the first EOE scene lusting after her, and possibly telling her Kaji was dead, which resulted (among other things) in her attempted suicide. He believes he is incapable of doing good (despite saving her life many times).

So what does she mean when she says that last line, "How disgusting" or "I feel sick"? I do believe that "How disgusting" is the best translation of that line. Is she disgusted at his crying? Is it that simple? Is she disgusted at the way she feels or he feels? Is she disgusted that he needs her or that she needs him?

I believe that she is disgusted that she needs (or needed) him - a crying little weak boy. She doesn't want to need him but does. She realizes that needing him will enventually cause her pain, but reaches out to him anyway.

But that seems a bit incomplete. What was Anno trying to say in this scene? That everyone needs someone? That no man (or woman) is an island? That as humans, we must open our hearts to others despite the pain it causes? I like to believe that he is showing that Asuka and Shinji have realized that they need each other (or must open their hearts to live), and now have to decide what to do next.

Oh well, my head hurts. I'm sorry if this made you feel the same. How disgusting.

coff
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby coff » Wed Jun 30, 2004 12:05 am

Another scene that we will never fully understand. I think many of your points are right on track though. I also believe that "How disgusting" is the probably the correct translation. I think she's disgusted by Shinji just like she has been so many times before.

Asuka Langley
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby Asuka Langley » Wed Jun 30, 2004 2:05 am

Well, putting yourself in her situation never hurts.

Think of being 'saved' by someone you 'hate' yet again.
Asuka thinks she doesnt need Shinji to help her, and he does save her a few times.
This would be especially annoying right after her little enlightening experience at the bottom of that lake.

The last time he does save, he is more saving her soul from being One with the rest of humanity by leaving that choice open. (To return, or not to return..... that is the question...)
So she kind of owes that to Shinji.
Not only that, she could have come to this realization while he was on top of her crying pitifully.
I can see myself being disgusted by having him to thank for my life at that point... after his display of what seems to be cowardice mixed with a hint depression and self-loathing.

Engh, that's just one of my, probably incorrect, thoughts which I had while trying to figure that scene out.
Last edited by Asuka Langley on Wed Jun 30, 2004 2:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
We'll see whachu' got.

http://xrl.us/ccnh

Phaze
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

•      
  •      

Postby Phaze » Wed Jun 30, 2004 2:14 pm

A theory they presented on the audio commentary during that scene is as Misato said earlier, Shinji hurts other people, but he's really hurting himself, so in the final scene he was actually hurting himself. I disagree, because I have my own theories.
We had a topic about this a the portal a while back, it pretty much sums up all the possibilities in my opinion.
The purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog!

EVA-01X
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

•      
  •      

Postby EVA-01X » Wed Jun 30, 2004 5:37 pm

I just always thought that he was still mad at her from the earlier scene where Asuka woudn't "help" him and with that leftover anger he tried to strangle her until she touched his cheek, wich made him stop.
The demon returns after a long slumber....
http://www.evamade.org/user.php?id.161
New Signature Image Policy
^Clicky for Evamade!

Ayanami
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby Ayanami » Wed Jun 30, 2004 7:46 pm

See, that's what I thought, too, when I first saw the ending. However, there are a lot of little hints given, and just the way the scene is delivered, proves that this is not the case, or at least, it's not the whole picture.

And I really think there is no right or wrong answer as to why Shinji strangled Asuka, and why she responded in the way that she did, because the whole scene is meant to be left to the viewer's interpretation. Although some responses might be a little more valid and have a little more proof behind them...

What I'm kind of confused about is, why did Shinji choose to resort to such destructive violence just to make sure he had chosen reality? Why couldn't he have just called out to Asuka? It's sort of like when you pinch yourself to make sure you're not dreaming; to make it really analytical-- you're inflicting pain upon yourself, and if you can feel it, you're not dreaming. Was it that hurting (or potentially killing) Asuka caused Shinji pain, and had he not felt that pain, he would've known that he hadn't chosen reality?

I know that before the Complementation, Shinji told Misato that he felt as though he only caused pain to others around him, but I thought he was referring to social... things, like not talking to people, or creating a wall between himself and others. Shinji was never really physically destructive, and never really wanted to hurt anyone, so why would he take it out on Asuka so suddenly (i.e. strangling her)? I realize she'd been an absolute bitch to him in the past... maybe it's just because she was the only person around at the time, and he sort of wanted to make her pay for all the suffering she'd caused him.

Oh, yay, I just answered my own question. e.e;

As for the response Asuka gives, "How disgusting," I think it had to do with the fact that Shinji still couldn't face the real world, even after he learned (or was forced) to accept it, and accept the fact that he was going to be hurt by others. I find it strange, though, that Asuka would display such a loving emotion by caressing Shinji's cheek (similar to what Yui did not long before that), but then ridiculing him for being (bluntly) such a baby.

Bah. My head hurts.
Close your eyes and listen hard

EvaDragon
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby EvaDragon » Thu Jul 01, 2004 10:25 pm

I like that idea of Shinji just trying to get some sort of reaction. He must have been used to her always yelling at him.

DatDude
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby DatDude » Fri Jul 02, 2004 2:48 pm

I think Shinji strangled Asuka because hurting her would cause him pain ( ala what misto mentioned in their last car ride) and prove to himself that he was back in this world.

As for what Asuka said it was i beleive that she was still disgused by human contact.
There was an EVA Nerd here, but now he's gone.

the_seventh_child
radio gaga
radio gaga

Re: "I Need You" scene (spoilers)

•      
  •      

Postby the_seventh_child » Thu Jul 15, 2004 11:35 am

houtaru wrote:I believe that Shinji chokes Asuka to get her to hit him, insult him, hurt him, push him off. This would, of course, give him the most comfort. Remeber the first scene in EOE? He begged her to call him an idiot. He wants her to at the very least acknowlegde him.

I think you're right.

sadsadshinji
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby sadsadshinji » Thu Jul 15, 2004 1:58 pm

Shinji seems a bit extreme in his actions but i agree...he was trying to see if all that he saw was a dream...did Asuka get changed before she cam back? cause she was a lot nicer...
i think how disgusting also was to represent that people would still hurt each other as long as they were not one (humanis/lillith) as the comment probably hurt Shinji and showed him that the world would be with pain but with joy as well (Asuka being there and acknowleding him)

DatDude
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby DatDude » Thu Jul 15, 2004 5:49 pm

houtaru wrote:I believe that Shinji chokes Asuka to get her to hit him, insult him, hurt him, push him off. This would, of course, give him the most comfort. Remeber the first scene in EOE? He begged her to call him an idiot. He wants her to at the very least acknowlegde him.

Also the reason for the hospital scene too I think.
There was an EVA Nerd here, but now he's gone.

sadsadshinji
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby sadsadshinji » Thu Jul 15, 2004 7:02 pm

true...but then he goes to jerking off to her comatose body...perhaps to relieve his tension?
maybe he did something similar after EoE?

Phaze
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

•      
  •      

Postby Phaze » Thu Jul 15, 2004 7:06 pm

"Neither Yui, Rei nor Misato could do as a woman for Shinji. Asuka alone was the only girl on equal footing with him. So,
Shinji desired/sought after Asuka. "I'm afraid of Misato and Ayanami." However, Shinji's crude affection only hurt her. In
the end, he used her as an object of lust/desire to soothe/console himself..."
The purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog!

houtaru
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby houtaru » Thu Jul 15, 2004 10:58 pm

DatDude wrote:

Also the reason for the hospital scene too I think.

Thats a good point. Is the hospital scene saying the same thing about the characters as the last scene? Possibly so, until Asuka makes her move. When she reaches for Shinji's face, perhaps his guilt overwhemled him. I think it was good that Shinji got all that emotion out of him, and that Asuka stayed true to her personality as well. There is a change in the characters in that scene in my opinion. The change in the two characters is so subtle its annoying. Rei represents the hope that Asuka and Shinji will understand each other. I may be wrong, but I believe (while open to interpretation) that Asuka and Shinji understood one another's emotions at that moment. Maybe that is what she found so disgusting.

the_seventh_child
radio gaga
radio gaga

•      
  •      

Postby the_seventh_child » Fri Jul 16, 2004 2:05 am

yes i agree.the title "i need you" is not accidental.Shinji needs Asuka while Asuka needs Shinji and they understood one another's emotion at that moment.

Return to “Evangelion TV Series + EoE Discussion”