Templates & CSS

For discussion of and submissions for the EvaGeeks Wiki and Commentary. Open to all posters.

Moderators: UrsusArctos, Board Staff

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Templates & CSS

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Sat Apr 18, 2009 1:06 pm

There seems to be some errors in our CSS file affecting the ability of one of our main template classes to display properly -- it always aligns to the right instead of the middle. All of the most obvious fixes don't seem to work, or just seem to make everything worse, but there's got to be some way of just getting the code to comply. This issue has been a bit on the niggling side and I wouldn't mind just getting it out of the way, but we need somebody who doesn't mind getting their hands messy with the code, and would be willing to do so until the desired results are generated...

Hey, ojisan, I remember you used to do some CSS for us... :devil:
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Sat Apr 18, 2009 2:35 pm

OK -- which is the file that is causing grief?
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Sat Apr 18, 2009 5:05 pm

The problem is present in the CSS for the original Monobook and custom FGP skins. Here are the ones I see that have been left with valid extensions (i.e. are currently active?):

http://wiki.evageeks.org/skins/ngefgp/main.css (<-- the one that we've been fucking around with)
http://wiki.evageeks.org/skins/ngefgp/main_wide.css
http://wiki.evageeks.org/skins/ngefgp/wiki.evageeks.org/skins/monobook/main.css
http://wiki.evageeks.org/skins/ngefgp/wiki.evageeks.org/skins/monobook/main_wide.css

The guilty bit of code involves "infobox" and "infobox centered" in some way, but I'm not entirely sure how. All of the most obvious "monkey see, monkey do" tweaks haven't had any effect, or have just screwed things up.

For reference, templates referencing the two insulting classes. (I've protected the latter to keep well-meaning editors from trying to "fix" it in the meantime; we've gotten a lot of edits like that lately):

Plain ol' "infobox": http://wiki.evageeks.org/Template:Episode_Infobox
"infobox centered": http://wiki.evageeks.org/Template:Angel_List

The Episode Infobox is an example of one that is SUPPOSED to orient to the right. I think I have some vague idea of what the problem here is (the right-leaning ones need a sub-class, a la "infobox centered", and the proclivity to lean right has to be edited out of the main class?), but I have no idea how to properly implement this.

Do you already have server access, Steve?
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Ornette » Sat Apr 18, 2009 5:31 pm

fixed

spaces in the css classname need a ".", otherwise the space gets interpreted as an element.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Sat Apr 18, 2009 5:41 pm

Ornette wrote:spaces in the css classname need a ".", otherwise the space gets interpreted as an element.

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH.

Thank you. This was a huge learning experience...
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Sat Apr 18, 2009 5:58 pm

OK, so to clarify, is the problem is with this one? -- http://wiki.evageeks.org/Template:Episode_Infobox

I see no difference between IE7.0.5730.11 and Firefox 3.08; and the layout looks sane to me. The infobox cell is floated against the right hand side of the page, and the individual elements within it are

Episode Information - centered
Episode {{{number}}} - centered
Title #: - left
{{{*_title*}}} - centered in cell
image - full width
next 5 lines - each entry left aligned in own half
Episode chronology - centered
← Previous Next → - each centred in its own half

as opposed to in http://wiki.evageeks.org/Template:Angel_List where the box is centred and each line is centred within it. The infobox float to the right behaviour works just fine in both browsers ( as evinced by http://wiki.evageeks.org/User:Mr._Tines )

I may be being remarkably dense here, but I don't understand the problem. It could be a browser issue, maybe -- which browser and version are you using?

Reichu wrote:Do you already have server access, Steve?

I don't recall having such on EGF (as opposed to EM, where I just forgot the credentials once they stopped being relevant).
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Sat Apr 18, 2009 10:24 pm

Mr. Tines wrote:I may be being remarkably dense here, but I don't understand the problem.

Ornette fixed it. (See two posts above yours.)
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Sun May 03, 2009 2:34 pm

Speaking of templates, all of the "Reference/Homage/Whatever" guide pages could use a common template listing all of them, which could just be inserted onto each such page, instead of needing to make that arduous list at the top. Thought I'd mention if it someone wants to get around to it before me.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

thewayneiac
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby thewayneiac » Sun May 03, 2009 6:40 pm

Reichu wrote:Speaking of templates, all of the "Reference/Homage/Whatever" guide pages could use a common template listing all of them, which could just be inserted onto each such page, instead of needing to make that arduous list at the top. Thought I'd mention if it someone wants to get around to it before me.

Done
Rejoice, glory is ours. Our young men have not died in vain. Their graves need no flowers. The tapes have recorded their names.
I am all there is.
Negative! Primative! Limited! I let you live.
But I gave you life.
What else could you do?
To do what was right.
I'm perfect, are you?

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Tue Mar 16, 2010 2:21 pm

{{reflist}} seems to be broken. See e.g. here:

http://wiki.evageeks.org/Classified_Information_%28Translation%29#Notes

I've been gone for a long time. Any idea what's going on?
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

ObsessiveMathsFreak
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby ObsessiveMathsFreak » Tue Mar 16, 2010 9:30 pm

What exactly is wrong with it. I've run "action=purge" on the page, so any cache effects that migth have been present have been removed.
[Became an administrator on or before October 4th, 2007.]
May The Maths Be With You.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Tue Mar 16, 2010 9:38 pm

There are a bunch of comments enclosed in ref tags that are supposed to appear as footnotes where I placed {{reflist}}, towards the bottom of the document. {{reflist}} appears to have been broken at some point -- it did work once upon a time.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

ObsessiveMathsFreak
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby ObsessiveMathsFreak » Tue Mar 16, 2010 10:03 pm

There was a problem with the Cite extension that must have appeared during the recent upgrade. The Cite extension which generates the references was in conflict with the Permissions extension. Consequently, the references weren't showing up unless you were logged in and a certain set of permission variables had been set.

Anyway, I've upgraded the Cite extension and the problem appears to be fixed, for non-logged in readers at least. Can everyone confirm that references are showing up in pages again?

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Ornette » Tue Mar 16, 2010 10:24 pm

If I log out, I can't see the reflist.

ObsessiveMathsFreak
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby ObsessiveMathsFreak » Wed Mar 17, 2010 12:20 am

That was due to the cache for the page still being present. I'm going to try to do a full cache purge while I'm at it. Stay tuned.

ObsessiveMathsFreak
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby ObsessiveMathsFreak » Tue Mar 23, 2010 11:42 pm

This seems as good a thread as any to announce this.

I've been working on an image based border for wrapping certain kinds of content on the wiki. The whole thing is designed to look like one of Class 2-As laptops from episode #03. That is, it is supposed to look like one.

I've modified the preliminary Characters Portal page to use the new template. Having the aesthetic sense of a mule, how well this is working escapes me. I think it looks more or less OK.

I'd appreciate some feedback on how well this is working, or not working as the case may be. If you need to, Be brutal. In particular, do you think that this template could be used widly in the wiki for such "lists" and for certain navigation templates?

ran1
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby ran1 » Wed Mar 24, 2010 4:54 am

^ I liked the idea, but the not entirely the way it was executed. There really isn't enough to really differentiate the border to be the 2-A Laptop theme from, say, a Pokedex. Perhaps labeling it or giving it some really distinguishing features in it would make it look a lot better.

I do like the idea, however, and I think it would look pretty awesome for a image/montage box, on a smaller scale, if that can be done.

Nice work.
Punished "Venom" Ran1
Vanity of Vanities
Every post in Evageeks automaticaly becomes masturbatory material. It's nothing new. ~Justcrazyguy
Ran's persistent irony is a coping mechanism he uses to try and create some understanding of his paradoxical attraction to and disgust of the elitist bourgeois slaughterhouse in which he's forever trapped. --Muggy

Fazmotron
Admin Emeritus :-{|
Admin Emeritus :-{|

•      
  •      

Postby Fazmotron » Wed Mar 24, 2010 8:29 am

I think it looks good except for the dark green. Although it is faithful to the show, maybe a lighter shade would look better.
[Became a moderator on August 14th, 2011. Became an administrator on September 7th, 2013.]
--Fazmotron--
A.K.A. - Ryan Farrell
How Chaz sees me.
BobBQ - I find your lack of :-{| disturbing.

FAZMOTRON.com

ObsessiveMathsFreak
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby ObsessiveMathsFreak » Wed Mar 24, 2010 4:12 pm

View Original Postran1 wrote:^ I liked the idea, but the not entirely the way it was executed. There really isn't enough to really differentiate the border to be the 2-A Laptop theme from, say, a Pokedex. Perhaps labeling it or giving it some really distinguishing features in it would make it look a lot better.

It goes without saying that my artisitic skills fall far short of the mark required. The best I can come up with is a kind of poor attempt at pixel art. I'm open to all suggestions, and indeed submissions if anyone has them.

It's difficult to make the border, which must fit around many different types of content, actually loop like a laptop. The pokedex effects sounds pretty unfortunate. Is it really that bad? Could you suggest an improvement. What would make this look more like a "laptop"?

View Original PostFazmotron wrote:I think it looks good except for the dark green. Although it is faithful to the show, maybe a lighter shade would look better.

I've changed the shade. How does it look now? In addition, what about the color of the laptop boundary?

Unfortunately, CSS is not very flexible when it comes to this sort of thing. one idea I did have was to add "classroom" embellishments to the laptop edge. I was thinking along the lines of stickers, ink marks, gum, scribbles, etc, etc. There's a possibility these could be somewhat randomised as well. Again, I'm open to suggestions.

ran1
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby ran1 » Wed Mar 24, 2010 4:19 pm

OMF wrote:What would make this look more like a "laptop"?

A keyboard perhaps? I'm not really sure how that could/would be incorporated into it, though.

It goes without saying that my artisitic skills fall far short of the mark required.

I wouldn't sell yourself too short, it was far better than I could have done.

add "classroom" embellishments to the laptop edge. I was thinking along the lines of stickers, ink marks, gum, scribbles, etc, etc.

THIS. Make the scribbles Eva-themed (possibly like the chalkboard ones) and I think you'd be all set.
Punished "Venom" Ran1
Vanity of Vanities
Every post in Evageeks automaticaly becomes masturbatory material. It's nothing new. ~Justcrazyguy
Ran's persistent irony is a coping mechanism he uses to try and create some understanding of his paradoxical attraction to and disgust of the elitist bourgeois slaughterhouse in which he's forever trapped. --Muggy

Return to “Wiki Editing and Discussion”