Rei's _______ *LARGE SPOILER*

Over time, notable threads from ANF will be preserved here for the Benefit of All.

Moderators: Ornette, Monk Ed

UberDirector [ANF]
Embryo
User avatar
Posts: 39
Joined: Oct 19, 2007

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby UberDirector [ANF] » Tue Apr 07, 2009 1:22 am

His current avi is Tuxedo Kamen... *cough* Mask

.... and Sharp really hates it when you call the Sailor Senshi Sailor Scouts.

Originally posted on: 06-Jan-2004, 23:14 GMT

Hankoubou [ANF]
Embryo
User avatar
Posts: 4
Joined: Feb 03, 2008

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Hankoubou [ANF] » Tue Apr 07, 2009 1:23 am

Shin-seiki wrote:You should read this
and also this.


I must say those were good reads,and the third theory of the first one I would say is the one I have the best grasp on.

Originally posted on: 06-Jan-2004, 23:17 GMT

NakedEYE666 [ANF]
Sachiel
User avatar
Posts: 216
Joined: Oct 19, 2007

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby NakedEYE666 [ANF] » Tue Apr 07, 2009 1:23 am

silentbatosai wrote::complain: Everyone is on my back! I mean come on! "You need to change the title!"blah,blah,blah! If you have never seen Evangelion, here's a question, WHAT ARE YOU DOING IN ITS FORUM! And who's this "Blue Thunder" I'm hearing about? And another thing, I can dream about Rei all I want! And my location will stay like it is from NOW ON! So anyone who has a problem with it can kiss my @$$!!!!:complain:

Image And that's my outlook on that!Image
(qustions or comment's just PM me!)


The thing that interests ME about this is that you're not the first person on AN to be located in Rei's bed... or atleast her bedroom. Not that I'd mind being there... hey, maybe that'd make a good user location... *goes to change user location*

I agree with you about the title though, sure it's a spoiler but A) Rei dies more than once in the series (if someone comes on and doesn't want to know if Rei dies more than once, they should have the good sense not to go on the thread) and B) in EoE deaths are so subjective, it's not like it's solidly truth. Plus I just think people should be extremely cautious about ever going to the series forum unless they have seen the entire series and are not afraid of spoilers. Image

As far as Rei's "death" goes... the world came back inhe Revelation & I have faith in the bible to give me correct facts about Evangelion!

Originally posted on: 07-Jan-2004, 00:00 GMT

The Eva Monkey [ANF]
Lilith
User avatar
Posts: 128
Joined: Oct 19, 2007

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby The Eva Monkey [ANF] » Tue Apr 07, 2009 1:23 am

Spike Spiegel64 wrote:I must say those were good reads,and the third theory of the first one I would say is the one I have the best grasp on.
Indeed. It is the theory that I endorse the most, as it leaves a sense of hope at the end of the series.

As for Rei's death, it is one of my favorite scenes in the anime. Rei as a character is a reflection of a very specific aspect of Anno. That being, the side of him that seeks to find his humanity and place in the world, and as well, he seeks his purpose in life. When Rei encounters armisael, her perception is altered in much the same way the Shinji and Asuka were by leliel and arael, respectively. In her case she is given what she needs, an understanding of human emotion, sacrifice, and a sense of purpose, and an understanding of her role in the plot. She makes the decision to end her life, in order to protect Shinji, so that he can later go on to fullfill his role as well.

Originally posted on: 07-Jan-2004, 00:13 GMT

silentbatosai [ANF]
Embryo
User avatar
Posts: 7
Joined: Feb 03, 2008

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby silentbatosai [ANF] » Tue Apr 07, 2009 1:23 am

Man nakedeye, your one hell of a guy! Or purspectives seem to be the same(at least about Rei)and you seem like a really great guy! I was wandering if we could be friends? I think that I could get along just fine with someone with your outlook. So what do you say? Friend's?Image

Originally posted on: 07-Jan-2004, 00:18 GMT

NakedEYE666 [ANF]
Sachiel
User avatar
Posts: 216
Joined: Oct 19, 2007

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby NakedEYE666 [ANF] » Tue Apr 07, 2009 1:23 am

silentbatosai wrote:Man nakedeye, your one hell of a guy! Or purspectives seem to be the same(at least about Rei)and you seem like a really great guy! I was wandering if we could be friends? I think that I could get along just fine with someone with your outlook. So what do you say? Friend's?Image


Thanks for the complement! Í'd love to be friends, got AIM?

Originally posted on: 07-Jan-2004, 01:20 GMT

Sharp-kun [ANF]
Clockiel
Clockiel
User avatar
Posts: 406
Joined: Oct 19, 2007

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Sharp-kun [ANF] » Tue Apr 07, 2009 1:23 am

Reichu wrote:The Blue Thunder of the AN Forums will see to it, no doubt.

Its far easier when people bother to report it, rather than simply waiting for me to find it Image

As for the Blue Thunder avatar, its away until that Jackie Chan craze dies down. I got fed up of people PM'ing me saying how coll my Jackie Chan avatar was.

Originally posted on: 07-Jan-2004, 18:29 GMT

silentbatosai [ANF]
Embryo
User avatar
Posts: 7
Joined: Feb 03, 2008

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby silentbatosai [ANF] » Tue Apr 07, 2009 1:23 am

NakedEYE666 wrote:Thanks for the complement! Í'd love to be friends, got AIM?

YEAH! I'm masterchief2465!

Originally posted on: 07-Jan-2004, 22:43 GMT

Hathaway Noa [ANF]
Embryo
User avatar
Posts: 11
Joined: Oct 19, 2007

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Hathaway Noa [ANF] » Tue Apr 07, 2009 1:23 am

Wel atleast Shinji and Suka can live off her remains.

Originally posted on: 08-Jan-2004, 13:46 GMT

Reichu [ANF]
Angel
Angel
User avatar
Posts: 3651
Joined: Oct 19, 2007

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Reichu [ANF] » Tue Apr 07, 2009 1:23 am

Hathaway Noa wrote:Wel atleast Shinji and Suka can live off her remains.


Only if they can chew rock. GNR is evidently petrified at the end #26', not unlike the harpies. (There is something suspiciously inorganic about the way the left half of her head slides off the right...)

Originally posted on: 08-Jan-2004, 14:21 GMT

Shin-seiki [ANF]
Armisael
Armisael
User avatar
Posts: 925
Joined: Oct 19, 2007

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Shin-seiki [ANF] » Tue Apr 07, 2009 1:23 am

Reichu wrote:Only if they can chew rock. GNR is evidently petrified at the end #26', not unlike the harpies. (There is something suspiciously inorganic about the way the left half of her head slides off the right...)
Given the fact that there is every reason to suppose that Shinji was alone on that beach for a substantial period of time before Asuka turned up, one does wonder just what he's been living off of... It brings to mind the wise advice of the Opening Theme to Mystery Science Theatre 3000:

If your wondering how he eats and breaths,
and other science facts...
Just repeat to yourself 'its just a show;
I should really just relax!'


Image

Originally posted on: 08-Jan-2004, 14:45 GMT

Reichu [ANF]
Angel
Angel
User avatar
Posts: 3651
Joined: Oct 19, 2007

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Reichu [ANF] » Tue Apr 07, 2009 1:23 am

Shin-seiki wrote:Given the fact that there is every reason to suppose that Shinji was alone on that beach for a substantial period of time before Asuka turned up, one does wonder just what he's been living off of...


Anything that's lying around, I suppose. Unless you believe that the Human Instrumentality Project somehow affected things other than humans (which seems terribly dubious to me), there ought to be plenty of Japanese micro-fauna scuttling about. I don't have very high hopes for the aquatic life, though.

Originally posted on: 08-Jan-2004, 14:56 GMT

UberDirector [ANF]
Embryo
User avatar
Posts: 39
Joined: Oct 19, 2007

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby UberDirector [ANF] » Tue Apr 07, 2009 1:23 am

Shin-seiki wrote:Given the fact that there is every reason to suppose that Shinji was alone on that beach for a substantial period of time before Asuka turned up, one does wonder just what he's been living off of...
Well... you could always employee EVA style over analysis. Since EVA Tang is human - soul... It would stand to reason that the sea of Tang is actually quite nutritious.

Originally posted on: 08-Jan-2004, 15:02 GMT

Reichu [ANF]
Angel
Angel
User avatar
Posts: 3651
Joined: Oct 19, 2007

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Reichu [ANF] » Tue Apr 07, 2009 1:23 am

UberDirector wrote:Since EVA Tang is human - soul... It would stand to reason that the sea of Tang is actually quite nutritious.


The "Tang" is actually the antithesis of soul -- body. Or a slosh of the molecules that had at one point formed the body, anyway. The water is red from GNR's blood and presumably not the souls that went flying over creation after the Black Moon exploded.

Originally posted on: 08-Jan-2004, 15:14 GMT

Shin-seiki [ANF]
Armisael
Armisael
User avatar
Posts: 925
Joined: Oct 19, 2007

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Shin-seiki [ANF] » Tue Apr 07, 2009 1:23 am

Reichu wrote:Anything that's lying around, I suppose. Unless you believe that the Human Instrumentality Project somehow affected things other than humans (which seems terribly dubious to me), there ought to be plenty of Japanese micro-fauna scuttling about. I don't have very high hopes for the aquatic life, though.
I'm still not convinced that it's all that dubious a proposition...
UberDirector wrote:Well... you could always employee EVA style over analysis. Since EVA Tang is human - soul... It would stand to reason that the sea of Tang is actually quite nutritious.
Bleaghh!!!

Originally posted on: 08-Jan-2004, 15:16 GMT

Sharp-kun [ANF]
Clockiel
Clockiel
User avatar
Posts: 406
Joined: Oct 19, 2007

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Sharp-kun [ANF] » Tue Apr 07, 2009 1:23 am

Reichu wrote:Anything that's lying around, I suppose. Unless you believe that the Human Instrumentality Project somehow affected things other than humans (which seems terribly dubious to me), there ought to be plenty of Japanese micro-fauna scuttling about. I don't have very high hopes for the aquatic life, though.

Why wouldn't it? The other time an Anti-AT Field was used, it resulted in:

Fuyutsuki (ep 21')
'The complete extermination of all life right down to microorganisims"


Originally posted on: 08-Jan-2004, 15:24 GMT

Reichu [ANF]
Angel
Angel
User avatar
Posts: 3651
Joined: Oct 19, 2007

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Reichu [ANF] » Tue Apr 07, 2009 1:24 am

Sharp-kun wrote:Why wouldn't it? The other time an Anti-AT Field was used, it resulted in:


Fuyutsuki does not, however, tell us WHAT resulted in the "complete extermination of all life right down to microorganisms". Also, the function of the anti-A.T. Field was evidently different in both incidences. At Antarctica, it seems to have been a human construct targeted at Adam:

Scientist : Even if only for a half a second, we have to put an anti-AT Field around him! Get enough energy to generate an anti-AT Field!


Whereas the one generated by GNR was targetting humanity in order to free their souls. Even so, the Anti A.T. Field had no effect until the destrudo was released, if I'm remembering things correctly.

Second Impact was staged to reduce Adam to an embryo, whereas Third was Instrumentality in action. The two should only be compared so much, methinks. And, as I said before, it is called the Human Instrumentality Project for a reason (if they were out to combine all life on Earth into one, they probably would have come up with a less anthropocentric name), and, by all indications, humanity was the only thing affected. (The TREES! Remember the TREES!)

Originally posted on: 08-Jan-2004, 16:40 GMT

Shin-seiki [ANF]
Armisael
Armisael
User avatar
Posts: 925
Joined: Oct 19, 2007

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Shin-seiki [ANF] » Tue Apr 07, 2009 1:24 am

Reichu wrote:And, as I said before, it is called the Human Instrumentality Project for a reason (if they were out to combine all life on Earth into one, they probably would have come up with a less anthropocentric name), and, by all indications, humanity was the only thing affected. (The TREES! Remember the TREES!)
Funny you should mention the trees...
Lets take a look at the segment of Ep26' where Anno gives us a sort of preview of what the future holds:
Image Image Image

(BTW, I can never understand how people can watch this sequence, and still, somehow, fail to grasp the clear implication that Humanity is going to be restored... do they think that Anno is showing us this because this is what is not going to happen?!)

Anyway, we then see this sequence of images:
Image Image

I've always interpreted this as an indication that the natural world will be restored, too... I think the red, blobbish background represents Chaos (in the Biblical sense of 'Nothingness').
Similar images occur elsewhere; with a somewhat similar meaning or implication:
Image Image
Why does Anno bother to show the trees (and, by extention, the entire natural world) coming back, if nothing happened to them in the first place? Hmmm???

Originally posted on: 08-Jan-2004, 17:47 GMT

Reichu [ANF]
Angel
Angel
User avatar
Posts: 3651
Joined: Oct 19, 2007

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Reichu [ANF] » Tue Apr 07, 2009 1:24 am

Shin-seiki: I really, really think you ought to collect all of your screenshot presentations into one place. You've managed to put the right pictures together with the right interpretations (i.e., your commentary) to address a lot of NGE's issues in some very interesting ways. You could easily make a website featuring all of them.

Interesting... After I posted my last response, I did start thinking about the scene with Rei, Kaworu, and Shinji. Stupidly enough, it was only on one of my more recent viewings of EoE that I really paid any attention to it, and you have effectively determined a reason for its importance. I'm all for changing my viewpoint -- I just have to be logically persuaded. Image

(BTW, I can never understand how people can watch this sequence, and still, somehow, fail to grasp the clear implication that Humanity is is going to be restored... do they think that Anno is showing us this because this is what is not going to happen?!)


I think it's probably more because EoE simply contains SO much information that it is difficult to process it all. That is the case with me, anyway. Sometimes my brain also has difficulty getting to Point B from Point A. I see the image and I know what it is, but I don't know what it's supposed to mean unless it's pointed out to me, and then everything makes sense. Image Hey, we're all wired a little differently.

Why does Anno bother to show the trees (and, by extention, the entire natural world) coming back, if nothing happened to them in the first place? Hmmm???


I still have some questions, though.

1) Why are there trees in that screenshot I like to post?

2) It's called the "Human Instrumentality Project" and its goal is to evolve humanity into a single consciousness. Why does all life on Earth get extinquished, then? Is this a part of HIP or merely a necessary consequence?

3) If all of the souls of humanity were collected into the Black Moon, what happened to the souls of everything else? Were they collected into the Black Moon, as well? Did naked Rei appear to cats, penguins, iguanas, clovers, and protozoans and showed them their "ultimate desire" before turning them into Tang? Do all lifeforms even possess "libido" and "destrudo"?

4) If humans return to their original forms by imagining themselves in their own heart and having the will to live, does the same apply to everything else? Do squirrels and fungus have to first manifest the desire to return to life before they come back?

5) If everything is just going to return to the way it was, what was the bloody point of Third Impact?

Originally posted on: 08-Jan-2004, 19:03 GMT

tv33 [ANF]
Ramiel
Ramiel
User avatar
Posts: 324
Joined: Oct 19, 2007

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby tv33 [ANF] » Tue Apr 07, 2009 1:24 am

UberDirector wrote:Since EVA Tang is human - soul... It would stand to reason that the sea of Tang is actually quite nutritious.


All I need is Charleston Hestion shouting
LCL is made out of people!! Its people!!

Reichu wrote:2) It's called the "Human Instrumentality Project" and its goal is to evolve humanity into a single consciousness. Why does all life on Earth get extinquished, then? Is this a part of HIP or merely a necessary consequence?


Well as Kaoru said

Kaoru: Now, please erase me.
Otherwise you will be erased.
The life that escapes the time of annihilation,
and that obtains the future, is only one.


As for why I have no idea, but my guess is that it is, as you put it, a necessary consequence. Most likely due to incompatibility. Perhaps it has something to do with the ever elusive Fruit of Knowledge.

Reichu wrote:5) If everything is just going to return to the way it was, what was the bloody point of Third Impact?


Yui knew that, but did SEELE? Or Gendo for that matter?

Also, had Shinji not rejected Instrumentality part way through, do you think all life could have returned regardless?


Edit- Fixed Uber. -o-;

Originally posted on: 08-Jan-2004, 19:40 GMT


Return to “AnimeNation Archive”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest