Rebuild Pages

For discussion of and submissions for the EvaGeeks Wiki and Commentary. Open to all posters.

Moderators: UrsusArctos, Board Staff

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Rebuild Pages

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Fri Mar 20, 2009 2:50 pm

Guyver Spawn has rather rightfully pointed out that our 2.0 page is sadly outdated. And so is the rest of our Rebuild-related stuff, for that matter. Outdated, and dreadfully incomplete. Of course, the rest could be said for the entire poor, neglected Wiki, but might as well start with what's "new and hot".

So basically, we need to pour over all the pages directly associated with Rebuild and get them cleaned up, and add Rebuild subsections to those pages that need them (Eva, Character, Angel pages). We have lots of people with Wiki accounts, so if everybody puts in a little something we actually might be able to accomplish this. (My own time is doomed to become very pressed; the end of my spring break is nigh, and I have some truly infernal stuff begging for the majority of my attention, but I'll do what I can.)

Is anyone interested in helping out?
Last edited by Reichu on Sun Nov 18, 2012 1:51 pm, edited 3 times in total.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Fri Mar 20, 2009 2:56 pm

Ursus and I added those new tidbits about Asuka (name and rank) to her character page but...

With the Rebuild pages, I'll most likely be able to work on it during spring break (first week of April for me). I think I'd probably work on any 1.0 information that might be outdated/incorrect then move onto 2.0 stuff if needed. Better then nothing, right?
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

UrsusArctos
The Beginning and The End

•      
  •      

Postby UrsusArctos » Fri Mar 20, 2009 7:36 pm

Shikinami was added to the warships page along with the changes to Asuka's page. The 2.0 poster's translation can go into the page for now, along with Reichu's scene-by-scene commentary on the trailer (With the images she posted).

Edit: Posted RockManBall's translation of the poster. I think images and a proper description could wait for a clean version of the trailer.
(Was Board Staff from Dec 31, 2007 - Oct 17, 2015 and Oct 20, 2020 - Aug 1, 2021)
Not knowing that Monk is bi is like not knowing the Pope is Catholic - ZapX
You're either really bad at interpreting jokes or really good at pretending you are and I have no idea which.-Monk Ed
WAAAAAAAAGH!!!!!(<-link to lunacy)...Taste me, if you can bear it. (Warning: Language NSFW)
The main point of idiocy is for the smart to have their lulz. Without human idiocy, trolling would not exist, and that's uncool, since a large part of my entertainment consists of mocking the absurdity and dumbassery of the world, especially the Internet.-MaggotMaster

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Fri Mar 20, 2009 9:10 pm

UrsusArctos wrote:The 2.0 poster's translation can go into the page for now

Actually, I think putting it on a separate page would be better. Kind of like this, only without "Resources:" in the title. (The namespaces seemed like a good idea at the time, but they ended up not having any real advantage, plus they were never consistently implemented. Getting rid of them looks a little involved for me, though...)

I also think we should make some heavy adjustments to the Rebuild movie template, so that it can accommodate information specific to a particular movie (plus its title logo), as per the TV episode template, and not just allow quick navigation between the four pages.

I dumped "(Shikinami)" in the character list template after Asuka's name for lack of anything better to do with it.

Guess I'll do a little writeup on the 2.0 theatrical trailer now, after fixing the page names for Eva-05 and Eva-06.

EDIT: Is it just me, or are all of the list templates leaning uncomfortably towards the right side of the screen? Aren't they supposed to be center-aligned? It seems to have something to do with the class "infobox-centered"; when I remove that, the list centers properly, but other features are lost.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

UrsusArctos

•      
  •      

Postby UrsusArctos » Sat Mar 21, 2009 11:35 am

I think the templates leaning right is a browser issue. You use Firefox?
(Was Board Staff from Dec 31, 2007 - Oct 17, 2015 and Oct 20, 2020 - Aug 1, 2021)
You're either really bad at interpreting jokes or really good at pretending you are and I have no idea which.-Monk Ed
WAAAAAAAAGH!!!!!(<-link to lunacy)...Taste me, if you can bear it. (Warning: Language NSFW)
The main point of idiocy is for the smart to have their lulz. Without human idiocy, trolling would not exist, and that's uncool, since a large part of my entertainment consists of mocking the absurdity and dumbassery of the world, especially the Internet.-MaggotMaster

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Sat Mar 21, 2009 3:47 pm

UrsusArctos wrote:I think the templates leaning right is a browser issue. You use Firefox?

Yes -- but so do a lot of other people. There's got to be a fix for this.

Just FYI, when I said, "Actually, I think putting it on a separate page would be better. Kind of like this, only without "Resources:" in the title.", I was saying to, er, not put "Resources:" in the new page's title, because I want to eliminate that namespace. -o-;

And, wow, it sure is hard to make anyone want to do anything to the poor Wiki, isn't it?

"Hey, guys, I'm thinking of actually contributing to the Wiki again! Who's with me?"
:crickets:

Well, more or less. (Two people replied to the thread.) V is laughing at us all.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

UrsusArctos

•      
  •      

Postby UrsusArctos » Sat Mar 21, 2009 7:55 pm

Oops! :blush:

I think I'll move them if you haven't done so already. Plain "Eva 1.0 promotional posters" would be fine.

Let V laugh as much as he wants, his style of handling the wiki is what drove away so many people earlier.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Sat Mar 21, 2009 8:13 pm

UrsusArctos wrote:I think I'll move them if you haven't done so already.

WAIT NO!!!!

You can't just use move to get rid of the prefixes, it'll mess up the coding or... something. (OMF got a little miffed with me, in his gentle manner, when I tried the same thing eons ago.) See the link I provided earlier on the annoying techie solution. Kind of sucks that we have no real Wiki tech person right now.

I will admit that it's a bit disheartening that practically no one wants to work on this thing, even with V long gone. I kind of get the feeling that resurrecting the commentary is the most obvious potential solution for squeezing the apathy out of people, but that egg is, still, not ready for ME to hatch. Yet.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Sun Mar 22, 2009 2:46 am

Reichu wrote:resurrecting the commentary is the most obvious potential solution for squeezing the apathy out of people

This is what I'm patiently waiting for...

The unstructured nature of a wiki, compared with the commentary, makes it a lot like trying to force a free association brain dump into a set of self contained boxes.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Ornette » Sun Mar 22, 2009 3:22 am

We can't mess with the namespaces as it is.

The reason why things like theory/analysis is in their own name space is to keep the content, at some level, separate from the others. For example, if someone just wanted the facts they can do a search for "Eva-04" and get a list of related episodes, maybe the related nerv branch, and the Eva-04 page. They won't get anything that's speculation about why Eva-04 was destroyed or who the pilot is, since that's in the Theory and Analysis namespace. If they want those search results too, they can check that namespace box when doing the search.

Albiet, this doesn't really do a whole lot and there are a lot of places where it kind of gets in the way. But ultimately, mediawiki treats the ":" character to denote a namespace (like User:Ornette), and if we use ":" with a namespace that exists, it gets sorted properly, otherwise it just creates a page with a ":" in it. Once that's been done, moving pages in and out of a namespace while retaining the ":" in the page's title is a real pain in the ass.

BobBQ
Dyskolos
Dyskolos

•      
  •      

Postby BobBQ » Sun Mar 22, 2009 10:56 pm

Mr. Tines wrote:This is what I'm patiently waiting for...

The unstructured nature of a wiki, compared with the commentary, makes it a lot like trying to force a free association brain dump into a set of self contained boxes.

^ This.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Tue Apr 14, 2009 2:08 am

Mr. Tines wrote:This is what I'm patiently waiting for...

So am I, in my own strange way...
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

UrsusArctos

•      
  •      

Postby UrsusArctos » Sun Jul 05, 2009 12:31 am

For what its worth, I've made a spoiler template to add to those pages or sections that have major 2.0 spoilers.

Zaque
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby Zaque » Sun Jul 05, 2009 2:17 pm

Reichu wrote:resurrecting the commentary

I would like to see this happen as well. If anything, for the translated scene descriptions and those bits in the dialogue added to the 5.1 audio channel.
Everything is subject to change.

thewayneiac
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby thewayneiac » Sun Jul 05, 2009 8:45 pm

Zaque wrote:
Reichu wrote:resurrecting the commentary

I would like to see this happen as well. If anything, for the translated scene descriptions and those bits in the dialogue added to the 5.1 audio channel.

If there's any way to get Shin-seiki back on board, it would be this.
Rejoice, glory is ours. Our young men have not died in vain. Their graves need no flowers. The tapes have recorded their names.
I am all there is.
Negative! Primative! Limited! I let you live.
But I gave you life.
What else could you do?
To do what was right.
I'm perfect, are you?

CyberXIII
Bardiel
Bardiel

•      
  •      

Postby CyberXIII » Tue Jul 21, 2009 8:05 pm

I added Soth's summary, with permission, to get things started.
"Crapsack worlds and anti heroes have their place. Sometimes, they are very necessary. But an endless diet of dreary cyberpunk and dark fantasy won't do us any more favors than an endless feast of glurge. I'd argue that the cynical nature of these really hurt our ability to hope and work for better. It gets us to accept the hopelessness and jaded outlook of things as 'That's the way it is. I can't change it,' and stops us from fighting when we NEED to fight."

I am ask-shinji-ikari on tumblr.com. Feel free to ask me questions!

UrsusArctos

•      
  •      

Postby UrsusArctos » Tue Jul 21, 2009 8:15 pm

I'll be finishing my own summary soon, since Soth's summary clashes with the conventions we've already established. No offense to Soth, it's just that it's better done in-house.

Edit: Wayne's already completed the summary, it just needs a little proof-reading. The theatrical trailer information would be better off nuked entirely rather than summarized, IMHO.

CyberXIII
Bardiel
Bardiel

•      
  •      

Postby CyberXIII » Tue Jul 21, 2009 9:23 pm

Done. Should I keep the pictures?
"Crapsack worlds and anti heroes have their place. Sometimes, they are very necessary. But an endless diet of dreary cyberpunk and dark fantasy won't do us any more favors than an endless feast of glurge. I'd argue that the cynical nature of these really hurt our ability to hope and work for better. It gets us to accept the hopelessness and jaded outlook of things as 'That's the way it is. I can't change it,' and stops us from fighting when we NEED to fight."

I am ask-shinji-ikari on tumblr.com. Feel free to ask me questions!

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Fri Feb 11, 2011 10:41 pm

(1)
I've recently been doing some [s:3cem3sg4]Rebuild[/s:3cem3sg4] NME-related updates. If anyone feels even the slightest bit motivated, please check out some of the stuff I've done over the past couple of weeks -- there are plenty of prompts for article expansion, new article creation, and so forth.

(2)
Back during the Rebuild vs. NME debacle, I'm not sure what the conclusion was with respect to the wiki. "Rebuild of Evangelion" has the problem of being a western fan-nick rather than official, but it is difficult to shake the fact that it's so wickedly pervasive in the fanbase we'd just create confusion and lose Google hits by removing it completely.

In that event, I'm willing to cooperate with using "Rebuild" as a general shorthand for the new movies, although the "Rebuild of Evangelion" page must explain the unofficial nature of the term, and the individual films must be referenced without prefixing "Rebuild of" (e.g. "Evangelion 1.0", NOT ''Rebuild of Evangelion 1.0'').

(3)
I feel like there should be some quick-and-dirty way to identify Rebuild-only articles. Since the wiki treats NGE as the "default", landing on a page devoted to an alternate continuity has the potential for much d. Writing "...in the Rebuild continuity..." or some such in the article's first line every time is tiresome, and not "immediate" enough. What would be good? A streamlined, eyecatching template at top? Maybe that would work for now.

Aaron is planning a design overhaul, isn't he? Perhaps one consideration could be giving articles in certain categories a different "look" from the others, so you instantly know that you've "entered a different world".

(4)
Should Sheeky just get her own page? Y/N

Right now, "Asuka Langley Shikinami" is directed to "Asuka Langley Soryu", and would have been under the "In other media" heading, expect somewhere along the line the "in other media" pages got split into separate pages. That's an issue in and of itself, but it got me thinking that, in this case, creating a new page for Shikinami would be the best solution.

Also, 2.0CRC (published by Khara itself) uses the westernized name order "Asuka Shikinami Langley" -- i.e., puts the Japanese surname in front of the European one, like with Mari. If we are to consider this official, this has revisionistic implications for Soryu's name order. :dizzy:
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

EvangelionFan
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby EvangelionFan » Fri Feb 11, 2011 11:02 pm

View Original PostReichu wrote:Aaron is planning a design overhaul, isn't he? Perhaps one consideration could be giving articles in certain categories a different "look" from the others, so you instantly know that you've "entered a different world".

In the descriptive forms on the right hand side of most pages you have a grey bar that accompanies the title text(s) (E.g. 1 2) - you could recolour this bar say pale blue for NGE articles and pale red for Rebuild-related articles. Since Rebuild articles are likely to use the word "Rebuild" in the heading, using colour tones to identify articles is cleaner than attaching a custom template to each and every Rebuild article (because templates are a bit invasive).

About adding a seperate article for Shiki - if the amount of stuff people have to write about her is equal or greater than half of what is on the Soryu page, you should give her a new article. Also, it's probably a bit early; but it wouldn't hurt to seperate other Rebuld character/story content from the NGE articles at some point in the future.
Voluntary Illusion.

Return to “Wiki Editing and Discussion”